• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Cutwolf said:
From what I read, not all of the mics need to be signed in to the Xbox, circumventing the 4 person limit on the console.

If two of your devices are wireless and you have a 4 port USB hub, that'll give you 5 spots to plug in everything else.

Does any USB mic work with Rock Band? Slow shipping and mine won't get here til Friday, and I wanna sing NOW. Nothing but a radioshack nearby on the electronics front though.
If it's anything like Beatles and Green Day, any and all mics are are under one profile if needed to be signed in.

Also, Lips/MS Wireless Microphones also works for them.

Cutwolf

AlphaTwo00 said:
If it's anything like Beatles and Green Day, any and all mics are are under one profile if needed to be signed in.

Also, Lips/MS Wireless Microphones also works for them.

They've changed that, AFAIK. Not all vocalists need to be tethered to a controller now.

How are the wireless microphones? I'm wary about wireless mics, as I've heard they all have a fairly noticeable lag.

Does anyone play RB with Dolby Digital turned on? In my system, it introduced lag in the drum fills and vocals. I think I'm going to setup RB3 in stereo to fix that problem, but I kinda hate to lose surround sound.

ultron87

Does any USB hub work for hooking up 360 instruments/controllers? (I hope it would given the Universal part of USB.)

I lost my the hub that came with my RB1 somewhere along the line.

Maddog

Chairhome said:
does anyone know what kind of power supply replacement i can get for the original usb hub packed in with RB1? I lost mine :-(.

It would probably be cheaper to just get a new one.

woodypop

Cutwolf said:
They've changed that, AFAIK. Not all vocalists need to be tethered to a controller now.

How are the wireless microphones? I'm wary about wireless mics, as I've heard they all have a fairly noticeable lag.
I prefer to use a wired mic because of this. I tried using a Lips mic, but I detected noticeable lag. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way to calibrate for lag on the mic independent from the rest of the instruments.

ultron87 said:
Does any USB hub work for hooking up 360 instruments/controllers? (I hope it would given the Universal part of USB.)

I lost my the hub that came with my RB1 somewhere along the line.

Just make sure it's at least USB 2.0, and you should be good.

MadCatz put up a site for RB3 instruments, includes some info on the MIDI adapter:

http://bit.ly/b7ycYa

parasight

woodypop said:
I prefer to use a wired mic because of this. I tried using a Lips mic, but I detected noticeable lag. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way to calibrate for lag on the mic independent from the rest of the instruments.

Well in RB2 there was a very noticeable delay, and you could hear yourself echo. But in TB: RB it's much better, and the arrow doesn't shake. Hopefully it's more like TB: RB.

Minsc

Gold Member
woodypop said:

Hopefully its fixed! I ordered those Lips mics, no big deal if not I suppose, but if Lips can work fine without lag (which hopefully it does), no reason RB shouldn't be able to as well. If I can avoid running wires down the middle of the floor, I will.

vermadas

drmcclin said:
Does anyone play RB with Dolby Digital turned on? In my system, it introduced lag in the drum fills and vocals. I think I'm going to setup RB3 in stereo to fix that problem, but I kinda hate to lose surround sound.

I used to have it turned on, but it introduced about 40-50 ms of lag. I've since had RB2 output stereo and let my receiver matrix it with a Pro Logic II Music setting. I think my sound lag is only 9 ms or so with that (set with the RB2 strat).

jgkspsx

parasight said:
Well in RB2 there was a very noticeable delay, and you could hear yourself echo. But in TB: RB it's much better, and the arrow doesn't shake. Hopefully it's more like TB: RB.
It feels better than RB, but I'm not convinced it's as good as wired. It's fine for Medium and probably Hard, but feels sketchy for Expert. I may do some side-by-side testing tonight.

Minsc

Gold Member
Chairhome said:
Okay, if I need to get a new USB hub, can anyone recommend one? are there any cheap ones that are powered through USB?

I was going to pick up this one for $7 w/ free shipping, but I don't need it if the wireless mics work properly.

Minsc

Gold Member
jgkspsx said:
It feels better than RB, but I'm not convinced it's as good as wired. It's fine for Medium and probably Hard, but feels sketchy for Expert. I may do some side-by-side testing tonight.

Singers use wireless mics all the time in live performances. Damn them for not getting it right! It does seem weird they can compensate for the lag in the guitar but not in the mic. They should just have you do a few tapping tests to get it in sync.

Chairhome said:
Okay, if I need to get a new USB hub, can anyone recommend one? are there any cheap ones that are powered through USB?

I've got this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AH8T3Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

it has 7 ports, includes a power supply in case you need it, but I have 7 devices hooked into mine (mostly RB instruments) and it runs fine without the power supply.

Also, I read the MIDI pro's instruction manual (posted at the link I pasted above), and IT INCLUDES A COMPATIBILITY LIST FOR KEYBOARDS AND DRUMS!!!!

Keyboards:
M-Audio Axiom 25
CME Key 49
Behringer UMX-25/25a
Akai MPK-25

Drums:
Roland HD-1
Yamaha DTExplorer
Yamaha DD 65
Alesis DM5

It states these were "specifically tested" with RB3, so I'm assuming these work in addition to any drum kit where you can re-map MIDI triggers. Also, I'm assuming most keyboards will work.

The DTExplorers were the drums I've been eyeing for a while, GET!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Minsc said:
I was going to pick up this one for $7 w/ free shipping, but I don't need it if the wireless mics work properly.
USB Powered hubs kind of suck ass. USB has a maximum power throughput of 500mah. That means you can't connect 4 usb devices that use more than 125mah each.
And some USB devices (like the Xbox Wireless Adapter for PC, which uses all of the 500mah, for instance) use way more than that.

They work, but they have their limitations. If the one that came with RockBand has a power adapter, i'm sure there's a reason for it.

I wouldn't doubt that RHCP is lost to Activision but I think that there's a good chance that Journey and Soundgarden are being redone with the new system. The former would benefit greatly from keys and the latter would be MUCH better with harmony. Singing Spoonman was such a pain due to having to cut off one part to sing another. Likewise, Blackhole Sun has some great harmony that is sorely missing from the RB1 version. I really hope that we get updated versions of all of those songs. Like others have suggested, there is no point in them paying for the license to the old version when they can pay to relicense and remaster them to release them as paid DLC. I would gladly pay for updated versions of all 3 songs.

The only reasons I don't see this as the case with RHCP are because they dont appear to have a great benefit from harmonies (especially Give It Away) and because RHCP had a large enough catalog to warrant a standalone GH game, whereas neither Journey nor Soundgarden do. The ACDC stuff is probably just too expensive to license again without significantly raising the price, while Metallica is obvious. Finally, I expect the reason that the HMX songs are coming separately is because they will have keys, harmony, and/or pro modes included.

Anyway, here's hoping that GH finally goes away so that we can be free from stupid exclusivity agreements. To be fair, I don't like that RB does it either, but at least it prevents GH from reaching a similar deal.

Minsc

Gold Member
drizzle said:
USB Powered hubs kind of suck ass. USB has a maximum power throughput of 500mah. That means you can't connect 4 usb devices that use more than 125mah each.
And some USB devices (like the Xbox Wireless Adapter for PC, which uses all of the 500mah, for instance) use way more than that.

They work, but they have their limitations. If the one that came with RockBand has a power adapter, i'm sure there's a reason for it.

Yea, I was only planning on using it for the mics, I didn't really even research if I needed it. I should probably check how many USB ports the new 360 model has with the built in wifi, maybe it has four. I hate cables, as you can see, so the thought of yet another cable for the USB hub wasn't too attractive, even more so a cable that needs to be plugged in. Wireless electricity can't come soon enough.

Oli

My package from Dell is out for delivery today! So excited. Dell really pulled through, $30 off and unexpected release date delivery! :D

cjdunn

Cutwolf said:
Quick questions:

1) Does Rock Band 3 keyboard bundle include a USB hub?

2) Are there any >4 port USB hubs that work with the Xbox 360?

The PS3 keyboard dongle has two USB ports. The manual warns not to chain other dongles into that one.

I bought a four port Belkin hub, which is fine aside for the integrated cable.

V_Ben

Banned
ratcliffja said:
I wouldn't doubt that RHCP is lost to Activision but I think that there's a good chance that Journey and Soundgarden are being redone with the new system. The former would benefit greatly from keys and the latter would be MUCH better with harmony. Singing Spoonman was such a pain due to having to cut off one part to sing another. Likewise, Blackhole Sun has some great harmony that is sorely missing from the RB1 version. I really hope that we get updated versions of all of those songs. Like others have suggested, there is no point in them paying for the license to the old version when they can pay to relicense and remaster them to release them as paid DLC. I would gladly pay for updated versions of all 3 songs.

The only reasons I don't see this as the case with RHCP are because they dont appear to have a great benefit from harmonies (especially Give It Away) and because RHCP had a large enough catalog to warrant a standalone GH game, whereas neither Journey nor Soundgarden do. The ACDC stuff is probably just too expensive to license again without significantly raising the price, while Metallica is obvious. Finally, I expect the reason that the HMX songs are coming separately is because they will have keys, harmony, and/or pro modes included.

Anyway, here's hoping that GH finally goes away so that we can be free from stupid exclusivity agreements. To be fair, I don't like that RB does it either, but at least it prevents GH from reaching a similar deal.
I hope you're right about Journey. I need my Any Way... :(

meljeff

Oli said:
My package from Dell is out for delivery today! So excited. Dell really pulled through, $30 off and unexpected release date delivery! :D

When did you order and what part of the world do you live in?
I ordered on 10/22 and no signs of shipment.

I wanna rock too :(

Chairhome

drizzle said:

I might try the one that drmcclin recommended. It has a power supply in case its needed, which sounds like it would be good if I had a full band connected.

I am mostly over the disappointment of Journey not making the export. There are too many other good things that transferred over. We should be happy we can export at all.

And as for my fretting over "I Get By" not making it, I just realized that it is a RB1 song. Silly me.

vg260

firehawk12 said:
Well, I guess the most disappointing thing is that this probably means Don't Stop Believing won't be getting a keys upgrade.

I don't think we can say that. How do you know they aren't just going to do a big Journey pack with both pro versions of the songs in it? That's what I'm hoping. Considering how huge Don't Stop Believing sold, they could make a lot of money getting people to re-buy an upgraded version.

Also just noticed the GH Soungarden greatest hits pack was just put up on the marketplace for anyone who didn't preorder GH:WoR to buy today. Probably not a coincidence.

No Journey or RHCP?

: (

So, I hear PS3 owners are getting screwed again. How bad is it this time? I'll be going to Boston next week, so maybe I'll stop by Harmonix's offices and harass them about this.

KaYotiX

Banned
Oh how I love having to replay all my songs now!!! The new scoreboards and friend leaderboards with percentage and stars is fucking awesome.

Small change but HUGE in terms of making the game better IMO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Elements604 said:
so gamestop.ca says the mustang guitar is out today? Im guessing thats a typo?

Yeah, delays for everything in Canada unless the webstore is different from retail.

2&2 said:
I don't think we can say that. How do you know they aren't just going to do a big Journey pack with both pro versions of the songs in it? That's what I'm hoping. Considering how huge Don't Stop Believing sold, they could make a lot of money getting people to re-buy an upgraded version.

Also just noticed the GH Soungarden greatest hits pack was just put up on the marketplace for anyone who didn't preorder GH:WoR to buy today. Probably not a coincidence.

I guess we'll know for sure if/when a Journey pack shows up for GH.

jgkspsx

So... anybody figured out how to use the keyboard as a midi device? I'm using the band hero midi-to-usb cable on a Macbook Pro, but it's not recognizing it...

Oli

meljeff said:
When did you order and what part of the world do you live in?
I ordered on 10/22 and no signs of shipment.

I wanna rock too :(

I ordered on Saturday I think. I live in Ohio.
I got the shipment confirmation last night, and I tracked today and it was out for delivery. Very unexpected.

V_Ben

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
No Journey or RHCP?

: (

So, I hear PS3 owners are getting screwed again. How bad is it this time? I'll be going to Boston next week, so maybe I'll stop by Harmonix's offices and harass them about this.
What have Harmonix done this time? :/

vg260

firehawk12 said:
I guess we'll know for sure if/when a Journey pack shows up for GH.

I'll be real sad if that happens. I was just listening to some Journey songs and if GH snags them it's only them doing it out of spite, because they keys are really a big part of their songs.

KaYotiX said:
Oh how I love having to replay all my songs now!!! The new scoreboards and friend leaderboards with percentage and stars is fucking awesome.

Are there more than 100,000 people on them?

Actually, probably a stupid question this early :lol

Oli

Went ahead and bought the license for exporting RB1. I never had RB2 which is why I haven't up until this point. There aren't ALOT of songs I like on RB1, but for 5 bucks it's like 80 songs or something, so whatever, it's a lot better deal than DLC.

meljeff

Oli said:
I ordered on Saturday I think. I live in Ohio.
I got the shipment confirmation last night, and I tracked today and it was out for delivery. Very unexpected.

That's cool I ordered Sauturday Night / Sunday Morning and I'm in California so hopefully mine will ship today or tomorrow. (Crosses fingers)

I'm very sad about Journey.

Does anybody know if the Stage Kit works in RB3

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
KaYotiX said:

I'm kinda dreading having to set new scores again. I'm not as good as I was a couple months ago when I set all those high scores, so I predict a lot of frustration.

Oli

meljeff said:
That's cool I ordered Sauturday Night / Sunday Morning and I'm in California so hopefully mine will ship today or tomorrow. (Crosses fingers)

I'm very sad about Journey.

Yeah, I'm guessing they have a facility nearby here or something. Keep an eye on your emails, they'll send you one to confirm shipment.

Thank god Main Drag will be coming back. And I hope that Journey gets a mega pack with key support and harmonies. That would be divine.

And thinking the other day, now that we have keys we could finally see some Ray Charles in the game. Stevie Wonder (early Stevie) would be great too.

Rodeo Clown said:
I'm kinda dreading having to set new scores again. I'm not as good as I was a couple months ago when I set all those high scores, so I predict a lot of frustration.
I was the same way, but it is actually more fun going back to redo it. And with Overdrive being given more often, I have found I am gold starring so much more than before. I know I havent improved all that much, but it makes me feel better.

vg260

PhoncipleBone said:
And thinking the other day, now that we have keys we could finally see some Ray Charles in the game. Stevie Wonder (early Stevie) would be great too.

I'm probably alone on this, but I want some Bruce Hornsby. At least the Way it Is. His songs have great piano, but the drums and bass are underrated.

Just for a goof, I decided to input the code on the back of The Beatles game into the redeem code screen. It said invalid. :( Not surprised, but it would have been funny if it did something.

2&2 said:
I'm probably alone on this, but I want some Bruce Hornsby. At least the Way it Is. His songs have great piano, but the drums and bass are underrated.
You are not alone. Hornsby would be great to get in the game.

Other artists that need to be here: Bob Seger, Steve Winwood

vermadas

meljeff said:

Rock Band Aide says no, but apparently they promised support at E3 so maybe it'll get patched in. Kind of sucks. At the same time, with it requiring a controller slot, it would be impossible to use it with four instruments + mic in songs that have a keys track.

SuperPac

PhoncipleBone said:
Just for a goof, I decided to input the code on the back of The Beatles game into the redeem code screen. It said invalid. :( Not surprised, but it would have been funny if it did something.

That would rule if you could export Beatles. As much as I love Beatles Rock Band, it'd be really convenient to be able to consolidate everything into RB3. I'd pay 10 bucks (maybe even up to $20) for that privilege.

meljeff

vermadas said:
Rock Band Aide says no, but apparently they promised support at E3 so maybe it'll get patched in. Kind of sucks. At the same time, with it requiring a controller slot, it would be impossible to use it with four instruments + mic in songs that have a keys track.

Wow that is lame...I love the stage kit it adds just that extra bit of something special when you have a group playing.

That makes me very sad :(

Top Bottom