• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

bounchfx

Why are so many songs in the store 'Unavailable?'. There's also new awesome songs on there not listed on error420's site.

Fucking Converge and Ludicra both have songs on RBN now!

too bad they're both currently unavailable. wtf. :(

Its so fucking good.

kBHUQ.jpg

i'll have mine in a few hours. i'm heading straight for pro keys. can't wait!

my physical health is nose diving though... come on body... don't sabotage this.

Malechai said:
sorry if this has been asked already, but can anyone confirm if the voice chat on PS3 is fixed? as in, when using a headset, does the persons voice get directed to your earpiece rather than the damn center speaker?

Curious if this was answered.

kiun

Torgo said:
Played for a couple of hours last night, and after playing GH: Warriors of Rock, it's SO refreshing to go back to Rock Band. The core gameplay is so refined and elegant, but now the interface and usability have been completely polished and streamlined. Make sure you hit Start right away to get to the audio options etc, so that you can set it to Dolby Digital (if you have that ability.)

LOVE IT!

I always play my music games in stereo in order to eliminate extra audio processing lag. I guess if that doesn't bother you, Dolby Digital does give you more immersion.

LaneDS

bounchfx said:
The keyboard is incredibly fun, even just Keys mode. I almost wish they would have an RB centered around keyboard parts.

I would like to see (in a year or two) one that made use of a full size keyboard as well. Totally would dig Mozart Hero.

it's just a shame that a good portion of the songs that DO have keyboard have only like 30 seconds of it. Then again, I haven't gone through every song yet.

Hm, really? I'd be buying this pretty much solely for the keyboard (and possibly pro guitar next year), but if there's a lot of songs like that that doesn't sound very fun. Can anyone elaborate on the keyboard experience?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought for Lego rock band you had to go to a special website and enter your code from the manual, and it generated a live/PSN voucher code? Wouldn't RB2 be the same?

Argyle

kiun said:
I always play my music games in stereo in order to eliminate extra audio processing lag. I guess if that doesn't bother you, Dolby Digital does give you more immersion.
Despite the annoying 7.1 bug I mentioned earlier, the PS3 version does output 5.1 over HDMI without much, if any, added latency (my calibration numbers are 18ms audio, 16ms video)...so that is one small advantage for the PS3 version...

egocrata

Banned
Quick question: I picked up my preorder (game plus keytar, PS3) at Gamestop, but I didn't get any coupon or similar for the free downloads. Any word on how do they work?

bounchfx

LaneDS said:
Hm, really? I'd be buying this pretty much solely for the keyboard (and possibly pro guitar next year), but if there's a lot of songs like that that doesn't sound very fun. Can anyone elaborate on the keyboard experience?

Honestly I'd disregard my statement, it's just only with my experience of the game so far which has been like 9 songs. It was an ignorant thing to say. I would however like to hear from people who have played through the campaign/full setlist on keys.

egocrata said:
Quick question: I picked up my preorder (game plus keytar, PS3) at Gamestop, but I didn't get any coupon or similar for the free downloads. Any word on how do they work?

The DLC code is a separate SKU on it's own receipt, they have to go back in and ring it up separately. This is what they had to do when I got Vanquish last week. I'd just go back to the store and ask them for it.

Najaf

I've been out of the game since RB1. I have the original band kit from that and the Xbox 360 GHII controller. Needless to say, I'm looking to get back in with some upgrades hardware. What is considered the best guitar peripheral out now?

Najaf said:
I've been out of the game since RB1. I have the original band kit from that and the Xbox 360 GHII controller. Needless to say, I'm looking to get back in with some upgrades hardware. What is considered the best guitar peripheral out now?
Now? Maybe the madcatz premium guitar?
Wait for the pro guitar!

Argyle

bounchfx said:
Honestly I'd disregard my statement, it's just only with my experience of the game so far which has been like 9 songs. It was an ignorant thing to say. I would however like to hear from people who have played through the campaign/full setlist on keys.
In general if the song has an "easy" rating for pro keys, there will be less going on, which often means very small parts. For example the INXS song is pretty much you hitting the same chord over and over...but don't worry, once you start playing stuff that is 2+ difficulty, you won't be bored.

As for difficulty progression, this is how it seems so far:

Easy: single notes, parts transposed an octave to avoid shifting
Medium: two note chords, parts generally transposed to avoid shifting
Hard: three note chords, less transposition, fast parts still slightly simplified
Expert: actual keyboard part

This is just my observation, I am not very good (can sightread most stuff in Medium, and the really easy stuff in Hard)...

So I have RB1 and RB2 installed on my HDD? Should I just remove them both and then import both of them into RB3? Is that the best way to go about it? I might also pick up Lego Rock Band.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
LurkerJZ3 said:
Anyone getting a error trying to export the RB2 songs and redeeming the GS free songs in RB3?
Yes...me. I input the GS code and it says it's either invalid or the time of use has expired. :\

PS3, by the way.

Did anyone on the PS3 side of things have any issue redeeming their GameStop code?

^^^leave your existing exports as-is, RB3 will pick them up just fine.

^^PS3 will get GS DLC and RB2 export when the PSN store updates later today (usually in the afternoon)

Vicious

Wow, the stat tracking in this game is great. That is the only thing I really cared about and they went all out with it. Good stuff.

drmcclin said:
^^^leave your existing exports as-is, RB3 will pick them up just fine.

^^PS3 will get GS DLC and RB2 export when the PSN store updates later today (usually in the afternoon)

So RB3 will pick up my RB1 export into RB2? I just need to export RB2 into RB3?

This sounds like fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DoctorWho said:
So I have RB1 and RB2 installed on my HDD? Should I just remove them both and then import both of them into RB3? Is that the best way to go about it? I might also pick up Lego Rock Band.
You don't Import them into anything, you export them into 'DLC' on the HDD, then all RB games can see and use them

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Yup, all you have to do is export Rock Band 2 and you'll be able to play the songs on Rock Band 3. You can only do it on the 360 side of things right now.

Argyle said:
In general if the song has an "easy" rating for pro keys, there will be less going on, which often means very small parts. For example the INXS song is pretty much you hitting the same chord over and over...but don't worry, once you start playing stuff that is 2+ difficulty, you won't be bored.

Hard: three note chords, less transposition, fast parts still slightly simplified

This is just my observation, I am not very good (can sightread most stuff in Medium, and the really easy stuff in Hard)...
thanks for this, this is what i'm most interested in knowing right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Argyle said:

How is the shifting? I watched a video where they showed it, and after the arrows indicating a shift, the entire note lane moved over, including a three note chord that was about halfway down the lane, shifted from the right to the left. Looked tricky, i'd kind of expected it to be less disruptive to existing notes coming down

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So I checked out the music store and The Doors free DLC pack shows up for me. Downloading it right now!

Najaf

I've been googling all over the place but have not found a release window/date for the Squier Stratocaster (real guitar). RockBand.com is down as well. Anyone know a date and estimated price?

mrklaw said:
How is the shifting? I watched a video where they showed it, and after the arrows indicating a shift, the entire note lane moved over, including a three note chord that was about halfway down the lane, shifted from the right to the left. Looked tricky, i'd kind of expected it to be less disruptive to existing notes coming down
Yeah, the shifting looks hard to get used to, but everything about keyboards look tough. Can't wait to try it tonight. At least some people are getting really good at it already.

Rock Band 3 - Break On Through (To The Other Side) (Expert Pro Keys 100% FC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdfh6w3dTLw

thewastedsmile

Neo Member
(Possible?) good RB2 export news: I've been stuck in customer support hell with EA all day, but they say that you can buy an export key through XBLM. Anyone have any luck or were both customer service guys full of it?

tmarques

fernoca said:
I have no problem admitting that I play on Easy/Medium (Easy most if not all the time) and I've been playing since the first GH game. Baby steps with me! But I just love the music and the colors! :lol

Personally, I find "medium" too easy and "hard" too hard in RB. So I either score 100% or fail halfway through (I suck, I know).

This is the one thing I think GH has over RB - "medium" actually feels like "medium" rather than "easy". I was kind of hoping RB3 had more difficulty levels, but I guess not.

bounchfx

my biggest issue with keyboards right now is knowing where the hell to place my fingers on the fly for chords. a lot of them are really spread apart! though i'm much better at judging where on the keyboard things are than last night lol

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Najaf said:
I've been googling all over the place but have not found a release window/date for the Squier Stratocaster (real guitar). RockBand.com is down as well. Anyone know a date and estimated price?

Based on $250 guitar body (more than $250 if you include the finger sensing tech), released "early" 2011.

W1SSY

So I called Gamestop and they game me a code now I just need to wait for the store to update. Sadly I didn't get my keyboard yet and I won't be able to get it until tomorrow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tmarques said:
Personally, I find "medium" too easy and "hard" too hard in RB. So I either score 100% or fail halfway through (I suck, I know).

This is the one thing I think GH has over RB - "medium" actually feels like "medium" rather than "easy". I was kind of hoping RB3 had more difficulty levels, but I guess not.
It's the jump in the number of colours - you have to start moving your fingers around which can be quite a jolt. I found starting with your fingers one colour down made it a little easier. So you have to either stretch your index finger up or slide your hand up

thewastedsmile said:
(Possible?) good RB2 export news: I've been stuck in customer support hell with EA all day, but they say that you can buy an export key through XBLM. Anyone have any luck or were both customer service guys full of it?
I'm pretty sure that's how the absences were first spotted, that guys on GameFAQs had popped their code into the Redeem Code functionality on XBLM.

Tek

Hope I can find my RB2 Manual....

:(

One day of poo could ruin my export chances. Has HMX said anything about any other way to do the export without the code from the manual?

I hope its somewhere in my desk....

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Tek said:
Hope I can find my RB2 Manual....

:(

One day of poo could ruin my export chances. Has HMX said anything about any other way to do the export without the code from the manual?

I hope its somewhere in my desk....
Apparently you can call EA and get another code, according to the RB Twitter account.

vid

First impressions:

I'm terribly disappointed to lose AC/DC and Journey from the Rock Band 2 setlist... those were two of my favorite songs to bust out with a full group. This has made me genuinely wary of the future of the Rock Band platform, since I'm not particularly excited about losing more tracks every time there's a platform update.

All Instruments mode seems like an unnecessary requirement sometimes. When my friends and I started the game, we planned to play with two guitars, keys, and vocals... then quickly discovered that the game would only allow for this combination (even though there are only four players) in All Instruments mode. Sure, we're all 'playing', but it sucks as soon as you realize that the vocalist doesn't actually contribute anything to the band in this mode, and that the game seems to ignore any of the band's accomplishments.

As stupid as it may seem, it was a letdown that we didn't see the return of our favorite overzealous band for the intro to the game. The epic road trip from the first game, the highway battle of the bands in the second game... and now we just have some random band on a rooftop? Bah.

The tracklist is great, the keyboard plays like a dream, and the new platform feels very streamlined and a positive step forward (although the navigation is taking some getting used to)... definitely a great experience, with the exception of the previous complaints.

Mailenstein said:
Wow, minutes ago I wanted to redeem my voucher code I got with the RB3 manual, but... the code is 16 digits long - PSN allows 12 :lol !

You've been trolled. :lol

This is an EA game right? Don't they have their own special code input system?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
vatstep said:
So, all songs are naturally charted for Pro Drums, and this includes Lego Rock Band, right? Might be a redundant question... I think I'm gonna buy a copy of LRB and do the export.

Everything Harmonix has done has proper Pro Drums.

RBN songs are a crapshoot, since it's been optional, untestable, and we didn't know about it for the first few months. There's be an attempt to collect that info on the official forums, when those come back it'll be worth listing.

Top Bottom