• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
CJUNDERGROUND said:
I know Rock N' Roll Star won't import on PAL copies since it's an on disc song, but why won't it show up in the NA RB3??
It's part of the songs that don't export. Harmonix hasn't given a reason yet.

autobzooty said:
so i bought a USB to MIDI adapter in light of the official rock band one not being out yet. any idea if this is something that works? i can't seem to get it going, but i've never used my synthesizer for something like this before.
Probably wont work since each MIDI adapter is platform specific.

Keldor

If I've already exported Lego Rock Band into Rock Band 2, do I need to export again into 3?

Also, when I redeem my code it says that the code is invalid. Anyone else having this problem on 360?

Yeef

CATDAFELIX said:
I'm having the same issue with my band. I created 4 characters and want them on certain band instruments and there's no way to link that character to stay with that instrument. I know there's the Stand-ins "customize" screen where you see your band with 1 member checking out the drums, 1 standing (Singer?) and 2 sitting on the couch (Bass and Guitar). The character I pick for guitar is always the one standing up.

In RB2 you assigned your band members the position. With this shit it's a screen and dumb luck. I got my band on the right instruments for one track but the next one the drummer switched with the singer? wtf....

Anyone else having this issue? Plus how do I fix this bs. I'm on the PS3 so I got fucked before, and again and now again with this L:RB code....
As far as I can tell each "Stand-in" slot is set to a specific instrument, but the drummer and the singer will switch places depending on if you're playing a song with male vocals or female vocals. At first I had 2 guys and 2 girls in my band, so I figured that it made sense to swap out the singer based on the vocal track. But then I switched to 1 guy 3 girls and one of the girls always sings during female parts and the other during male parts. They both play drums when the other is singing.

I've only played Guitar so far, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

fernoca

Keldor said:
If I've already exported Lego Rock Band into Rock Band 2, do I need to export again into 3?

Also, when I redeem my code it says that the code is invalid. Anyone else having this problem on 360?
No need to export again. And for the code, remember that you need to put the code in the game menu. If you're still having problems, wait till tomorrow if it doens't work; go to Gamestop and ask for a new one or contact Harmonix.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
As far as I can tell each "Stand-in" slot is set to a specific instrument, but the drummer and the singer will switch places depending on if you're playing a song with male vocals or female vocals. At first I had 2 guys and 2 girls in my band, so I figured that it made sense to swap out the singer based on the vocal track. But then I switched to 1 guy 3 girls and one of the girls always sings during female parts and the other during male parts. They both play drums when the other is singing.

I've noticed this too. I believe the top slot is vocals, second is guitar, third is drums, fourth is bass/keyboard. At least they played in this configuration on every song that had male lead vocals for me. (I have males in character slots 1 and 2 and females in slots 3 and 4.)

I've only played with my keyboardist so far, and I've seen the same swap out between the vocalist and drummer when a female vocal song comes up.

About time they came up with an automated solution for that. :lol

fernoca

I liked that.
Was like "Oh, that's nice! My female character singing female songs at last!!". Always been using a female character in drums.

Didn't liked at first that you couldn't choose which characters to do what, but after seeing that and how tehe 4 characters I made all ended in the positions I wanted, no biggie. :D

Yeef said:

All 4 members of my band are girls lol (Each member is from G.I Joe lol. Yes I'm crazy. :lol Scarlett, Lady Jaye, Minx and Cover Girl). Took me a freaking hour to build the same models in RB3. I guess if I need a 5th member I'll just put the Baroness on keyboard lol.

From RB2
2n0u5wn.jpg

It was simple with RB2 with assigning the instruments. The strange part is the drummer and singer switched and if I remember it did switch from female voice to male voice over the 2 tracks but it was 2 girls lol. I left the game at that point so I didn't check again if it will do the same thing.

I'm going to try linking my drums/mic/guitar as a bass tomorrow to see if that works. The 4 stand-in option screen for characters names should list the instruments next to the name. I really don't know why HMX did it that way for RB3...

I'm assuming these questions have been asked before, but I would appreciate if someone could answer them for me, as the answers could affect my purchase decision. Thanks.

1)I already own an 88-key Yamaha keyboard. Will I be able to use this for RB3?

2)Will I be able to learn how to actually play the piano/keyboard if I play songs in pro mode?

3)Will older songs be playable in pro mode?

ArachosiA 78 said:
I'm assuming these questions have been asked before, but I would appreciate if someone could answer them for me, as the answers could affect my purchase decision. Thanks.

1)I already own an 88-key Yamaha keyboard. Will I be able to use this for RB3?

2)Will I be able to learn how to actually play the piano/keyboard if I play songs in pro mode?

3)Will older songs be playable in pro mode?

1) You need the proper MIDI adapter.
2) Apparently yes.
3) Some, not all.

Ridli

Damn it's fun to have a new Rock Band. Just love going through the playlists and finding new songs that are fun to play. A few notes in no random order.

1. My Best Buy did not have Keyboard/Game bundles for 360. However, they did give me a $15 gift card at purchase. I don't know if this was in lieu of having a separate SKU for the bundle, or if this was their incentive for a week one purchase. Either way, if your store doesn't have bundles, ask and see if they're giving discounts like this, can't hurt to inquire.

2. Pro-Keys is fun, but very confusing to someone who's played the piano before. I never played Guitar or Drums so I guess it didn't matter how the highway was setup when I originally started playing rock band. But I'm having a real difficult time associating physical keys that I used to recognize with notes with colors instad. Hopefully I'll get acclimated soon, but it doesn't sound like I'm the only person who's having the problem.

3. Does anyone already have a Midi-USB adapter that they've tried for the keyboard? Preferrably Mac OSX. I'm assuming I could just use something like this M-Audio device. Anybody have success yet?

4. I didn't realize they included Mana! I totally missed Oye Mi Amor when looking at the setlist earlier, but I remember hearing this back in high school. More Mexican pop please! Maybe a little Norteno, just a track or two?

5. I'm currently in the top 43% in pro-keys. Fuck yea. :lol

Raistlin

Ridli said:
2. Pro-Keys is fun, but very confusing to someone who's played the piano before. I never played Guitar or Drums so I guess it didn't matter how the highway was setup when I originally started playing rock band. But I'm having a real difficult time associating physical keys that I used to recognize with notes with colors instad. Hopefully I'll get acclimated soon, but it doesn't sound like I'm the only person who's having the problem
Yeah, I expect this to be most peoples' response. Just wait until the Mad Katz or Squier guitars are available :\

3. Does anyone already have a Midi-USB adapter that they've tried for the keyboard? Preferrably Mac OSX. I'm assuming I could just use something like this M-Audio device. Anybody have success yet?
What does Mac OSX have to do with anything? Either way I have a different MIDI->USB adapter I can try this weekend. If it works, I'll look up what model it was.

legend166

fisheyes said:
My god, what a clusterfuck.

I'm in Australia, I'm on 360, I have a UK version of RB2 (since Harmonix hates us Aussies), and am about to go out and buy the AUS version of RB3 - I can't do anything to get my RB2 songs into RB3 yet, right? Seemingly not until at least when PAL RB3 is supposed to launch, right?

That's what it looks like. The code on the back on the manual is too long.

BigDug13

HELP

I can't log into the rock band site and I'm at a bar for rock band night and they are in all instrument mode.

How do we turn off the background vocals so that only the singer is heard.

bounchfx

Ridli said:
2. Pro-Keys is fun, but very confusing to someone who's played the piano before. I never played Guitar or Drums so I guess it didn't matter how the highway was setup when I originally started playing rock band. But I'm having a real difficult time associating physical keys that I used to recognize with notes with colors instad. Hopefully I'll get acclimated soon, but it doesn't sound like I'm the only person who's having the problem.l

this is an issue that will keep coming up. for some reason people think that if they can play piano in real life they will be good at the game. this is true if A) you can already proficiently read the RB-piano tab or b) you already know the song and play without looking at the rb tab.

I've seen a few people try to play that know the real songs on piano and they just get confused. same with people trying drums in RB. there is a learning curve to be expected when you try to follow along with notation you aren't used to reading.

that being said, I'm already getting way more comfortable with Pro Keys than I was last night.

From what I can tell, there isn't a single downloadable song with keyboard parts yet. Is this true? Has anybody found any? Do any of the exported RB2 songs have added keyboard parts?

BigDug13 said:
HELP

I can't log into the rock band site and I'm at a bar for rock band night and they are in all instrument mode.

How do we turn off the background vocals so that only the singer is heard.
Hold Circle button during a song to adjust background vocal volume

Dreamwriter said:
From what I can tell, there isn't a single downloadable song with keyboard parts yet. Is this true? Has anybody found any? Do any of the exported RB2 songs have added keyboard parts?

Yes... DLC after Rockband 3 will have them. The newest and first is the Doors DLC.

Ridli

Raistlin said:
What does Mac OSX have to do with anything? Either way I have a different MIDI->USB adapter I can try this weekend. If it works, I'll look up what model it was.

I suppose OS shouldn't be an issue. I've just never messed with a keyboard like this so I'm ignorant of what's going on tech wise. If we found out that there's something funky with the keyboard that requires a homebrew driver that's only available for windows - well that doesn't help me, heh. Either way it's appreciated.

bounchfx said:
there is a learning curve to be expected when you try to follow along with notation you aren't used to reading.

Nah, I understand it. Essentially the pro-keys highway is a new "language." Even though I might know what the message is, the grammar is throwing me off, heh. This is probably how my dad felt (a drummer of many years) when I first showed him the game. Nothing to do but practice!

BigDug13

Dreamwriter said:

Hold Circle button during a song to adjust background vocal volume
Holding circle when in INSTRUMENT ONLY mode won't do anything because the controller is disabled. Is there a way to turn off background vocals when you have no controller for vocals? Because the background vocals are drowning out my pipes at the bar.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For anyone doing the pro-keys trainers, can someone explain intervals to me? Are you supposed to use a single hand and only use the middle finger/thumb for the entire test?

Axiom

Sorry for my ignorance but what is this about PS3 international song export? I'm one of the Aussies who has a US RB2.

If this has been readily covered, apologies as I'm using coffee shop wi-fi after picking up the game.

Do I recall someone commenting on the lack of difficult drum tracks in this game? Still playing on my lowly RB1 kit, so I won't get to try Pro Mode for quite some time, but as an expert fake drummer that has never played a song that I couldn't topple eventually... the difficulty on the last handful of tracks is outrageous.

The Phish song is the At the Gates of syncopated beats, Avenged Sevenfold has a ridiculous drum solo that you can't overdrive cheese your way through, and Radar Love was going pretty well and then suddenly what looks like a guitar chart showed up on-screen. It's a crappy feeling thinking that you might have finally hit your limit. Especially admitting defeat at the hands of douches like Avenged Sevenfold. Ugh.

Obviously, PS3 has a smaller pool of players than 360 does. How many people on XBL have even posted scores for those tracks so far?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IAmtheFMan said:
- Pro Keys is cool but after playing piano for <20 yrs, I'm having to re-wire my brain to understand Harmonix's charting. I jumped on Prokeys on hard-expert and the whole "which section is blue or yellow, oh and wait, now it's shifting" is really weird. I've actually done a better job playing the songs by ear then trying to follow the charting. I wish that Harmonix could've added a small letter to notate which note is gonna be played. (hell that could've taught people who don't know really music a little about tone too.)
My wife agrees, as I'm trying to persuade her to try out keys by showing her YouTube videos. For the key tar it's probably the only way to go, but considering they are releasing a MIDI box, they could have come up with an alternative - maybe just indicating the octave number but not actually shifting?

Ridli

firehawk12 said:
For anyone doing the pro-keys trainers, can someone explain intervals to me? Are you supposed to use a single hand and only use the middle finger/thumb for the entire test?

Are you talking about the Basic Intervals lesson? If so, only the first two steps are to be played with your thumb and middle finger. Steps 3 and later contain different chords that might have you using your ring or pinky finger. Keep in mind that there will be a short text description with each lesson (and step) that will usually give you advice on what fingers you should be using for the chords.

I haven't gone through the entire trainer, far from it, but most of what I've seen should be played with one hand. I remember reading that this was a goal for Harmonix when designing the keyboard peripheral.

In the grander scale, the intervals lesson is kind of an example in consonance and dissonance - how keys that are certain intervals from each other produce a nice sound, even if they might individually be sharp or flat
I'm not a music teacher, please forgive my rudimentary explanation

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ridli said:
Are you talking about the Basic Intervals lesson? If so, only the first two steps are to be played with your thumb and middle finger. Steps 3 and later contain different chords that might have you using your ring or pinky finger. Keep in mind that there will be a short text description with each lesson (and step) that will usually give you advice on what fingers you should be using for the chords.

I haven't gone through the entire trainer, far from it, but most of what I've seen should be played with one hand. I remember reading that this was a goal for Harmonix when designing the keyboard peripheral.

In the grander scale, the intervals lesson is kind of an example in consonance and dissonance - how keys that are certain intervals from each other produce a nice sound, even if they might individually be sharp or flat
I'm not a music teacher, please forgive my rudimentary explanation

I just can't figure out how to do it using only those two fingers. There are times when I'm not sure if I should cross my middle finger over the thumb or shift my thumb over. All they had to do was include little hand diagrams showing exactly where the hands/finger should be and it would have made all that very clear - that's what a teacher is supposed to teach you anyway.

Ridli

firehawk12 said:
I just can't figure out how to do it using only those two fingers. There are times when I'm not sure if I should cross my middle finger over the thumb or shift my thumb over. All they had to do was include little hand diagrams showing exactly where the hands/finger should be and it would have made all that very clear - that's what a teacher is supposed to teach you anyway.

I agree, that probably would have been a helpful feature for visual learners.

The best advice I can give you is to look at the chords ahead of time. In those particular lessons, you're playing a few short notes that are part of a chord, then the chord. The first two lessons have four chords, and each of them should be played with a different hand position, you'll be sliding your hand down the keyboard as you progress.

I would recommend that you start by skipping the three notes that precede the chords, and just play the chords themselves, keeping in mind that only your thumb and middle finger will be playing the chord. This will give you a better understanding of where your hand should move in between each set of notes. Focus on moving your hand to the right position for the chords first, and then try picking up those extra notes after you're comfortable with the movement.

Edit: Oh, one more thing, for those lessons, there really shouldn't be any reason for you to cross any finger over your thumb. Just move your hand in unison.

Aspiring

Axiom said:
Sorry for my ignorance but what is this about PS3 international song export? I'm one of the Aussies who has a US RB2.

If this has been readily covered, apologies as I'm using coffee shop wi-fi after picking up the game.

Im an Aussie with US copies of Rock Band but i have no idea what you mean by international song export. All i know is you will have to use the coe when they go up to download from the US store just as you probably have done with the DLC, otherwise it will not work. But sorry for not unerstanding what you mean, you want to explain a little more in depth?

Also you should add me. PSN: AsPiRiNgYoUtH

More aussies to play with the better!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ridli said:
I agree, that probably would have been a helpful feature for visual learners.

The best advice I can give you is to look at the chords ahead of time. In those particular lessons, you're playing a few short notes that are part of a chord, then the chord. The first two lessons have four chords, and each of them should be played with a different hand position, you'll be sliding your hand down the keyboard as you progress.

I would recommend that you start by skipping the three notes that precede the chords, and just play the chords themselves, keeping in mind that only your thumb and middle finger will be playing the chord. This will give you a better understanding of where your hand should move in between each set of notes. Focus on moving your hand to the right position for the chords first, and then try picking up those extra notes after you're comfortable with the movement.

Edit: Oh, one more thing, for those lessons, there really shouldn't be any reason for you to cross any finger over your thumb. Just move your hand in unison.

Thanks for the advice. I think hitting the notes between the chords was the hardest part of the training anyway... I cheated and finished the first one using my entire hand and that was basically enough to de-motivate me.

Belgand

Rewrite said:
When I played it at E3, the people that were seeing me play weren't singing. :(
At PAX I was drumming up on the freeplay stage (I believe it was the only one with an Ion and pro mode, nobody had a Mustang) and we got chanting and clapping for "More Than a Feeling". It was awesome.

Screw the official options I'm thinking of getting a kit from OpenChord and modding my bass for the game. Total cost for a proper, good-quality bass and little 15W practice amp ($100 used on Craigslist) and mod kit ($40 IIRC) is still $10 less than the Mustang. Similar deals can be found everywhere. Just go buy a real guitar.:D

I have a keyboard at home, can I use RB's keytar with that keyboard? Not to play the game like. I mean if I want to use the keytar for something besides RB.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Belgand said:
At PAX I was drumming up on the freeplay stage (I believe it was the only one with an Ion and pro mode, nobody had a Mustang) and we got chanting and clapping for "More Than a Feeling". It was awesome.

Screw the official options I'm thinking of getting a kit from OpenChord and modding my bass for the game. Total cost for a proper, good-quality bass and little 15W practice amp ($100 used on Craigslist) and mod kit ($40 IIRC) is still $10 less than the Mustang. Similar deals can be found everywhere. Just go buy a real guitar.:D
Awesome. Keep us posted on how that works out for you.

You know, it's pretty a pretty weird feeling seeing my Rock Band 2 case just sit there now. After playing it nonstop for two years, it saddens me it's never going to be put in anymore to get play time.

Kafel said:
Bonus guitar

On the main menu : BLUE-ORANGE-ORANGE-BLUE-ORANGE-ORANGE-BLUE-BLUE
Cool, thanks. Was that one of the bonuses you get when you pre-ordered it at other retail stores? I remember reading that some retail stores would offer different pre-order bonuses.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
No Oasis - Rock and Roll Star import in Rock Band 3 from PAL Rock Band 1.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is shitty shitty shitty. Looks like I'll be keeping my RB2 disc.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Rewrite said:
Cool, thanks. Was that one of the bonuses you get when you pre-ordered it at other retail stores? I remember reading that some retail stores would offer different pre-order bonuses.
Yeah, I got that from Amazon. I chuckled when I saw it was just like an old GH cheat code. Thought it'd be a DLC code.

navanman said:
No Oasis - Rock and Roll Star import in Rock Band 3 from PAL Rock Band 1.
This is shitty shitty shitty. Looks like I'll be keeping my RB2 disc.
Yeah. That & Hier Kommt Alex... :(

Totally forgot they were PAL exclusive and therefore forgetting the chance that they'd be included on what we couldn't export. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any issues with UK instrument stock for PS3?

Shopto are showing the Xbox drums and keyboard as in stock, but the PS3 keyboard not due until next Friday, and the drums mid-november! Was hoping to order through them for free release day delivery guarantee and the drums are a decent price too.

edit: Amazon UK showing November 19th for the PS3 keyboard and november 26th for the drums, yet October 29th for Xbox 360 instruments. GAME are showing this friday for keyboard but November 12th for drums. They seem all over the place on dates.

edit2: gameshark are showing the drumkit at £79.99 which is by far the cheapest I've seen it online. Backordered though..

Aaargh - tell me it ain't so UK GAF!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Regarding the deletion of songs on the PS3 side of things, peetfeet was right. You can delete individual songs that were released as singles, but if you want to delete a song that was a part of a pack, then the whole pack gets deleted. :\

mrklaw said:
Aaargh - tell me it ain't so UK GAF!
Think positive, man! I'm sure you're gonna get it. ;)

bryehn

OK guys, I want to connect my keyboard to my PC for use in Ableton or Fruity.

Now I've seen some cheap MIDI > USB adapters out there, however the KB doesn't have traditional in and out ports. Do I need to get the official adapter? The port on the KB is out-only, wondering how it's receive signal from software.

i got ranked in the top ten on a song in pro keys (on expert!) for the first time this morning.

aaaaaaand probably the last time, but hey! i'm having a bunch of fun.

i haven't played keyboard in well over a decade, but my hand still seems to know it's way around the thing. learning the key tab has gone pretty well so far. chords are still throwing me, but not nearly as much now.

Minsc

Gold Member
plagiarize said:
i got ranked in the top ten on a song in pro keys (on expert!) for the first time this morning.

aaaaaaand probably the last time, but hey! i'm having a bunch of fun.

i haven't played keyboard in well over a decade, but my hand still seems to know it's way around the thing. learning the key tab has gone pretty well so far. chords are still throwing me, but not nearly as much now.

Do the top 10s eventually just all become filled with 100% perfect plays, and the only way to get on one is to time your over drive sections to the most beneficial section of the song?

I have a feeling it becomes that, it'd just be a little disappointing to play every note perfectly and come in like 40,000 on the boards :lol

Edit: Also if any one has impressions of the Lips wireless mics with RB3 please PM me, I'd love to find out ahead of time if they are terrible like it was reported they are with RB2, then I can return my copy and deal with wired mics. Thanks!

jgkspsx

Minsc said:
Edit: Also if any one has impressions of the Lips wireless mics with RB3 please PM me, I'd love to find out ahead of time if they are terrible like it was reported they are with RB2, then I can return my copy and deal with wired mics. Thanks!
There is no longer 2s of delay, but I think there's about 250ms of delay. That means staccato stuff like Werewolves of London will be pretty bad on Expert.

I would personally stick with wired. I'm pretty disappointed :\

Top Bottom