• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

kodt

Banned
bounchfx said:
After playing through more of the songs, I have to wonder: what made some of these bands put keyboards in their songs? especially when it's so sparse and usually just one or two chords? seriously, which band member thought it was a great idea to just 'HEY DUDES.. I THINK THIS SONG COULD USE KEYS... RIGHT HERE. No... only here."

It was probably whoever was producing the album more than the band members in cases where they do not have a dedicated keys player.

Raistlin

PhoncipleBone said:
I am still on regular keys, trying to train my hand. The only thing I have major issues with is chords involving my middle finger and pinky (yellow and orange). My ring finger almost always presses down too when it shouldn't on those.

Yeah, that'll take some practice. Keep at it though, no matter how much you want to switch positioning in order to hit the chord. It takes time, but is worth it in the end.

drmcclin said:
That's what she said! Sorry.

One problem I've had with the game: I'm on PS3, and it insists on counting PS Eye mic as Mic # 2 on vocals. Couldn't figure out anyway to make it stop, short of unplugging the PS Eye. Hopefully they fix this.
Heh, that's kind of lame. Unplugging it ain't that hard though. At least it doesn't default to mic 1, so most of the time it'll be a non-issue (or is it picking up ambient noise?).

Tenks

Raistlin said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone else make the attempt to sing while playing an instrument?

I'll sometimes voxtar. I'm guessing at parties I'll need to buy a keyboard stand so people can sing while playing the keys if what I'm hearing about the keys being sparse ends up true.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Raistlin said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone else make the attempt to sing while playing an instrument?

I can't sing while playing an instrument (hell, I can't sing, period), but I have tried vocals + guitar on stuff like Debaser or Sabotage. It was not pretty.

ultron87

Raistlin said:

I'd do it more if I had a mic stand. Otherwise I'm just propping the mic on something that make it really inconvenient. Obviously it needs to be on a song that you know the words too pretty well, but it's certainly doable.

Aside: "Touch Me" is way too much fun to play.

Purist

Neo Member
My impressions, after about 6 hours of play last night.

Keyboard peripheral is solidly constructed, and feels great. I’m completely new to keyboards, so I find that I am hitting the wrong keys often because I can’t look down at the peripheral and at the note chart on-screen at the same time. It’s not that I’m not fast enough to hit them, but rather that I have to guesstimate where the proper keys are without looking down, and I always hit the key beside the one I’m supposed to hit. I hope to get better with lots and lots of practice, though. And it’s cool to have a new challenge.

Some improvements I noticed right away:

+ Expanded character design options
+ Very fast load times, thanks to your characters always being on the screen
+ Unpausing mid-song gives you a ramp-up section before notes start again
+ Loads of filtering options (genre, artists, decade, ratings)
+ Automatic setlist saves
+ Song rating system adjusts how often a song comes up on random setlist
+ You can see what songs are on your random setlist before you start them
+ Can continue playing a song after a fail
+ Band singer switches automatically to male or female depending song
+ Songlists show both difficulty and star ranking

Disappointments:

- Solos don’t give you percentage completes as you perform them
- Cluttered world map for career mode, a little confusing
- RB2 song export still not available on PS3
- Only 63 songs have keyboard/pro keyboard support
- Same venues (so far), similar graphics

Overall, the expanded options give the game a flexibility that was long overdue. The song list is awesome, and the customizations are impressive. It is well worth the upgrade from RB2, even if the menus are a little cluttered and graphics are about the same. Also, don’t expect to fly past the Pro Keyboard, it will take some serious time jumping from five buttons to a full two octaves worth of keys.

Raistlin said:

voxtar here, and I plan to do voxkeys once I get comfortable with them.

I only played a little on vocals last night, but I found that it's incredibly hard / impossible to activate overdrive when you want to. Anyone else?

Also, for whatever reason, enabling Dolby Digital in RB3 seems to introduce less lag than RB2 for vocals and drum fills.

Solos don’t give you percentage completes as you perform them
weird, I've noticed that it doesn't turn to blue anymore during solos (which I dislike), but I could've sworn it did show me percentages while I was doing them. Just harder to notice since the color shift is gone.

JeTmAn81

Raistlin said:
I sing and drum quite a bit. Depending on the song, it's not that hard to do, but I have been singing and drumming (Rock Band) for several years so I've had some practice. Doing the vocals really helps liven up some of the tracks that have overly simplistic drum parts. Beatles is the best for singing and playing.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I seriously need that keyboard stand. Couldn't buy it yesterday with the game because I didn't have enough money. Anyways, any general tips for the keyboard? I began in Pro since I think it's the only worthwhile way to play the keyboard.

Or do you guys recommend for me to start in regular Keys mode? And no, I have no real musical skills whatsoever, unless fake plastic instruments count :lol

woodypop

Raistlin said:
I sing and guitar on songs I know pretty well.

Is it possible to turn off tambourine? That always trips me up when I'm playing the guitar and have to hit the mic at the same time.

Struct09

Played quite a bit yesterday, and all the little improvements really add up. It was all overwhelming at first, but damn I love how far the Rock Band interface has come.

My keyboard comes today and I plan on jumping straight into Pro Mode.

woodypop said:

Is it possible to turn off tambourine? That always trips me up when I'm playing the guitar and have to hit the mic at the same time.

You are not penalized at all for not participating in the tambourine sections. So if your OCD allows it (I struggle with it), you should be fine just ignoring them.

Tenks

woodypop said:

There is no penalty for ignoring the tambourine. You can only gain points with it.

Sometimes I just blow into the mic to activate the tamb.

woodypop said:

you can just make a popping sound with your mouth and it'll probably work for the tambourines :p

Raistlin

The easiest way to do
attempt
it IMO, is to first practice the vocals so the lyrics and melody are pretty much memorized. Obviously you should also practice the song a bit on the instrument of your choice - you don't want to go in completely cold.

I then set the vocals to easy or maybe normal, and that's it. Practice a bit and you should be fine. Obviously certain song/instrument combos work better than others. For example, Green Day guitar and vocals work great since Billy Joe does both in real life.

I highly recommend getting a mic that has a swing arm on it. That way it's dual-purpose; people can use it standing up or down, so all instruments are doable.

Speaking of Green Day, has there been any word on whether we'll see Pro content for their disc? I'd love to play real guitar and sing with it. I can't wait for some Billy Joel keyboard/singing love too!!!! :D

Raistlin said:

Absolutely. I bought a mic stand so I could do this. I've got to know the song lyrics by heart, though (or fake it). I play drums or guitar on Expert but only sing on Hard.

Raistlin

JeTmAn81 said:
I sing and drum quite a bit. Depending on the song, it's not that hard to do, but I have been singing and drumming (Rock Band) for several years so I've had some practice. Doing the vocals really helps liven up some of the tracks that have overly simplistic drum parts. Beatles is the best for singing and playing.

Agreed!!!

I wish Beatles was importable into RB 3 :(. I want pro drums (not that it's hard to figure out when to hit toms versus cymbals most of the time anyway).

woodypop said:

Good point ... we should start harassing Harmonix over at the forums about this.

I always end up placing my mouth basically on the mic and go 'ppppp' to hit it :lol

Pancho

Qurupancho
So if anyone wants to play you can add me any time if you're on the PS3

PSN: Danny-kun

Raistlin said:
Good point ... we should start harassing Harmonix over at the forums about this.

I always end up placing my mouth basically on the mic and go 'ppppp' to hit it

:lol

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this.

Raistlin said:
Only done it a few times. I cannot sing to save my life though. I did harmonies along with guitar on Beatles a few times, but that was tough because i didnt know exactly what part was supposed to be harmonies and what was lead.

I can barely three star and pass most vocals on easy or medium, but there are a few songs I can five star on hard or expert. I did successfully five star both vocals and guitar (or bass) simultaneously on "Creep" and "Sex Machine" though. It helps when you know the song completely and can emulate the singer's voice well enough.

Slacker

soul creator said:
you can just make a popping sound with your mouth and it'll probably work for the tambourines :p
I can confirm this works. I can also confirm you'll look like a tool when your wife walks by when you're doing this.

How does exporting songs from the Wii version of RB2 work?

Can I export my DLC also? I only have 2 DLC songs, Still Alive and Dragula, will I be able to use them in RB3?

Pancho

Qurupancho
PhoncipleBone said:
Or be a loser and have the controller on the floor and just tap the A button with your toe during tambourine parts

Cheap AND effective!

Oh, and I just added you on the PSN drmcclin.

Pancho said:
Cheap AND effective!

Oh, and I just added you on the PSN drmcclin.
Whatever works! Besides, I dont think it penalizes you for missing the tambourine sections on the scoring anyways.

And now with "All Instruments Mode" it will be easy to try and multitask without penalty.

I don't understand the fan system in this game. I played tons of challenges on Pro Keys Easy and got 3 silver medals and 1 gold medal and I unlocked maybe 70,000 fans. After playing 1 song on Medium Bass I got an additional 680,000 fans. WTF? I feel that if I continue playing on Pro Keys Easy I'll never unlock anything and never progress.

Stormwatch said:
I don't understand the fan system in this game. I played tons of challenges on Pro Keys Easy and got 3 silver medals and 1 gold medal and I unlocked maybe 70,000 fans. After playing 1 song on Medium Bass I got an additional 680,000 fans. WTF? I feel that if I continue playing on Pro Keys Easy I'll never unlock anything and never progress.
It is because you are on Easy on the keys, pro or not. The higher difficulties get more fans. And the later goals and challenges get you a LOT of fans. I think each achievement I get lately it is like 2M plus fans each time. I am around 250 million fans at the moment.

Raistlin

Stormwatch said:

slap-a-da-bass bonus?

ultron87

I think the amount of fans you get per challenge is scaled based on what level your band is at. At first you're only getting hundreds of fans at a time, but once you go on the road you start getting tens or hundreds of thousands at a time. That way you have a reasonable number of fans when you become a superstar.

It'd take a long time to get to a million fans if you only got 1000 per challenge.

bounchfx

Purist said:
- Solos don’t give you percentage completes as you perform them
- Cluttered world map for career mode, a little confusing
- RB2 song export still not available on PS3
- Only 63 songs have keyboard/pro keyboard support
- Same venues (so far), similar graphics

a few comments.
- Solo's do show %, for sure. donno about the blue, but I think it changes somewhat slightly during a solo section.

- Career mode is just a series of goals now.. it's a little confusing, not sure I would call it a world map. If you want something thats like world tour do the quickplay 'road challenges'. it's a better more streamlined version of world tour imo.

- I think it's 66 songs? but yeah, not all of them, and a chunk of those barely use keys :(

- I've seen maybe 6 venues so far, and I've only got to the Van..not as many as before, but after getting the van and now my title screen is on the railroad tracks, i'm finally starting to see bigger venues. I like the way progression is handled, but a lot of the small venues do look similar when you only see them from your peripheral.

and yeah, load times are fast as balls now!

Pancho

Qurupancho
And about that solo %, it DOES show up.

However, it doesn't show up on road challenges. I suppose since each setlist has it's own goal the solo % isn't that important so they omitted it?

Tek

I'm having a lot of the same issues as others with the keys. Just trying to train my hand the right way and to remember where the colors are.

The other thing I noticed is that, using my right hand - hurts quite a bit while playing the keys. Even tho I'm right handed, my fingers are not used to pressing a bunch of buttons like my left hand is when I play guitar. When I tried using my left hand on the keyboard it actually felt a lot better, but things like overdrive and the whammy bar was hard to do.

I'm also wishing/hoping they add keys to the DLC. It kind of sucks to have this huge catalog of songs and unable to play any of them on the keys.

I think I remember HMX stating that they would look into adding that...so here is to hoping it is sooner than later.

bounchfx

also, to those saying theres no crazy difficult drum songs: you're crazy. I beat visions fine but there's a handful on RB3 that destroy me. :(

Hey, European guys. Found this on the Rock Band forums about the RB2 export and it works (well, I don't really know as I don't have RB3 yet but I got a 16 digit code):
1) go to http://support.ea.com/app/ask

2)Type in product(Rock band 3), select system and select the problem (tech support - downloads)

3) Open the "instant chat"

4) say you have a 25 digit UK code and you need a 16 digit UK RB2 export code

5) they should give you a code, enter it into RB3 -> get more songs -> Redeem code

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
bounchfx said:
After playing through more of the songs, I have to wonder: what made some of these bands put keyboards in their songs? especially when it's so sparse and usually just one or two chords? seriously, which band member thought it was a great idea to just 'HEY DUDES.. I THINK THIS SONG COULD USE KEYS... RIGHT HERE. No... only here."

:lol Can't remember which song, but I had my hand at the ready on the keyboard for the last 2 minutes of the song for nothing.

Pancho said:
And about that solo %, it DOES show up.

However, it doesn't show up on road challenges. I suppose since each setlist has it's own goal the solo % isn't that important so they omitted it?
Yup.

Also the border around the note highway changes to a slight blue tint when the solo section begins. Much like it is yellow when you have an OD section with the unison bonus.

playing regular keys has sort of reminded me how my brain associates notes and fingers when playing rock band guitar. Playing keys, I always want to hit green notes with my index finger, and blue notes with my pinky, and then shift my hand for orange, since that's what years of fake guitar has taught me.

Makes it tough to get used to the fact that I can play notes with my thumb and not shift my hand at all now :lol

Raistlin said:

I play guitar and sing at the same time. But then again, I've got both on medium difficulty... stupid orange button.

TheFreshPrince

I could be missing something obvious, but for Pro Keys, is there any sort of indication as to where the starting finger position should be?

I'm playing Pro Keys on Medium, so no scaling up and down yet....but where do your hands start?

Top Bottom