• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Yeef

Entering the code just unhides the option to buy the RB2 export from the RB3 in-game store. I entered the code directly into the Playstation Store (since I was buying some other stuff anyway) then when I went to the RB3 in-game store the option for RB2 was there.

I know the amazon code was posted earlier, here's the code for the Best Buy pre-order guitar:

Best Buy - Orange, Blue, Orange, Orange, Blue, Blue, Orange, Blue

Amazon - Blue, Orange, Orange, Blue, Orange, Orange, Blue, Blue

I don't recall if any other places had a special pre-order guitar, but we should get a list of all of them and put them in the OP.

Zachack

Tenks said:
I went through and reviewed some of the older official videos and it in fact does look like it just gives you a number and abstract shape. This really crushes alot of my enthusiasm for the game. The beauty about tab notation is you don't have to memorize the shapes of a million different chords.
The shape represents how far your fingers go down based on the height of the line. In theory it should operate the same as tabs, except instead of a number you get a "real" position. So a standard Am chord would look like: _-VVv-
with the v representing your index finger (and being numbered somehow, I'm watching the video on my iphone)), the Vs representing the notes one fret down, the -s representing open strings, and the _ being unplayed.

Am: _-VVv- = X02210
E: -221-- = 022100
D7: __-vVv = XX0212

It's going to be a change from reading tabs but at the same time it's not like tabs are really pick up and play for anything but the simplest of songs. Barring a really slow, easy song, to be able to beat a song on expert pro guitar you'd pretty much need to learn how to play the song for real, regardless of notation.

Personally I'd almost prefer standard sheet music notation so that I could see note length further in advance.

Yeef said:
Entering the code just unhides the option to buy the RB2 export from the RB3 in-game store. I entered the code directly into the Playstation Store (since I was buying some other stuff anyway) then when I went to the RB3 in-game store the option for RB2 was there.

I know the amazon code was posted earlier, here's the code for the Best Buy pre-order guitar:

Best Buy - Orange, Blue, Orange, Orange, Blue, Blue, Orange, Blue

Amazon - Blue, Orange, Orange, Blue, Orange, Orange, Blue, Blue

I don't recall if any other places had a special pre-order guitar, but we should get a list of all of them and put them in the OP.

Where do you enter those?

robochimp said:
I would bet Beatles eventually, when they want to squeeze out every last bit of money. Just lock the songs to using the Beatles characters and sets.

Doubt it. I'm pretty sure it's the Beatles camp that made the songs un-exportable.

brian

I'm a real guitarist who wasn't going to buy the Mustang until I was able to get my hands on it. Well, yesterday I got to give it a try. I really enjoyed it, and just placed my order to purchase one. The buttons feel pretty good - better than I was expecting. You can slide around them pretty easily for buttons. I didn't really try any hammerons/pulloffs. The strings themselves feel good, and the fact that they are all the same size didn't really bother me too much.

Chords were generally easy to finger, though I was consistently having some trouble playing a C minor bar chord. My middle finger kept wan to go to the high E string, instead of the B string probably because the width of the fretboard is a little smaller than a real guitar. I'm sure it just takes some getting used to, though.

Sight reading was tough to do for playing individual notes. Chords aren't too bad as long as you know how to play the chord, but I kept missing some pretty simple riffs in "Get Up Stand Up". I doubt most people (at least those coming from tabs) will be able to sight read very well, but I wonder if it will get easier to read the notes with practice.

Pancho

Qurupancho
drmcclin said:
has anyone else tried to redeem the voucher you're given after entering your code at the Rock Band site? I'm at work and can't try it now, hopefully this is not a widespread problem or at least it works correctly if you go through the RB3 store.

Had no problems here. Code worked, retrieved voucher from my email and entered it through the RB3 store. I think the code doesn't work if you never used it for the free 16 songs. My friend tried it but his code didn't work since he never sued that code.

drmcclin said:
I'm sure it will. We've all kinda forgotten our roots here... remember when you were first introduced to this game and everything seemed impossible?

Exactly. Easy was tough for me when I first starting playing, got better and then got to hard where the speed and having to slide down to the orange button was overwhelming. Now I can sightread most songs on hard and do a few songs pretty easily on expert.

brian

Yeah, you're probably right. I was actually starting to improve a bit by my 3rd song "Under the Killing Moon", which was great on pro guitar. There is a long solo type thing at the end that moves slow enough that I could process the notes and it sounds awesome too.

jett

D-Member
:lol at Pro Guitar...I was considering getting the Stratocaster but after seeing that video I think I'm gonna pass on this game. :p Too much for me.

For the 360 version, is it still required to use the rockband.com site for Lego Rock Band export? Just curious as I was having code issues a week ago and never got my second code for Lego Rock Band.

Would be nice if this could all be done in-game now. =/

Chris R

In all instruments mode can two people play the same thing? Like two guitars or two bass or two drums aka score duel minus the duel?

Raistlin

GuitarAtomik said:
Doubt it. I'm pretty sure it's the Beatles camp that made the songs un-exportable.
That is correct.

I'm hoping something gets worked out eventually, but I'm not holding my breath. That it showed up at all is surprising to be honest.

What I'd love to see is for them to redo the songs in pro mode for RB3. Crap, I'd pay full price :\

jett said:
:lol at Pro Guitar...I was considering getting the Stratocaster but after seeing that video I think I'm gonna pass on this game. :p Too much for me.

You know, you're supposed to work up to that :D

If the first thing you saw from Guitar Hero way back when was Cowboys from Hell on Expert, I bet you'd have the same reaction :p

Tenks

drmcclin said:
I'm sure it will. We've all kinda forgotten our roots here... remember when you were first introduced to this game and everything seemed impossible?

Yeah but at least it was intuitive a made sense. See green note, strum while holding green. This doesn't really make too much sense. Has RB updated it's website explaining the system?

Raistlin said:
What I'd love to see is for them to redo the songs in pro mode for RB3. Crap, I'd pay full price :\
My thoughts exactly. Pro mode or just pro drums and keys added in. I would gladly buy it again at full price. Or just put it up as DLC.

Trying to track down a cheap copy of Rock Band 1. I sold it after I exported long ago. Then my ps3 died and I lost the songs. Anyone know where I can get a copy (ps3)? Blockbuster doesn't even carry it anymore. EB games sells it used for $15 which I really don't want to pay. Wish I knew someone who had it so I could borrow and do the export. I'm in Canada.

Chris R

criesofthepast said:
Trying to track down a cheap copy of Rock Band 1. I sold it after I exported long ago. Then my ps3 died and I lost the songs. Anyone know where I can get a copy (ps3)? Blockbuster doesn't even carry it anymore. EB games sells it used for $15 which I really don't want to pay. Wish I knew someone who had it so I could borrow and do the export. I'm in Canada.
PM me. At work now but I'd ship out my copy to let you rip it.

NA, PS3. Hell I even have an unopened copy of RB2 that I'd sell for cheap if anyone still needs that too.

ultron87

Okay, on normal guitar what are you supposed to do on the notes where it's a big strip of the color with notes contained within it?

Wow, I'm impressed. I really like it.

I'm surprised that people don't see how the 'abstract shapes' work. I paused at the C chord in the youtube video and figured it out in seconds: the number (1) notes the position on the fretboard (for the first note placement). From there on, height indicates relative position on the other strings. Nothing means open string, double the height of the (1) note means (2), triple the height of the (1) note means (3).

So if you'd compare it with tabs, it's basically TAB on its side.

I admit though that the video was showing the chord names was a big help here. ;) But I know most chords positions by heart and I'm a very visual guy, so I'd probably would have caught it. Anyway, that seems to be how it works, and it makes sense. It's a more efficient way to do it than TABs I think, because you can see more notes coming in less space - though of course I'm sure they could have made something side-scrolling at an angle to obtain a similar effect as well.

God, I really want the real guitar thing now - I'd love to play the songs this way, though I may well just get my real guitar and then start practicing the songs on that in the meantime. :D Also, that real guitar being a MIDI guitar, I have a roland XV-5050 sound module that I'd love to plug that thing into. I'm a much better guitar player than piano player so I'd love to find out how that ends up sounding.

I went to mediamarkt by the way and they were only getting Rockband 3 this Friday, so I'll have to wait (it's probably the same at every store then here, usually is).

Chris R

ultron87 said:
Okay, on normal guitar what are you supposed to do on the notes where it's a big strip of the color with notes contained within it?
Those are hammer-on/pull off sections where you don't have to restrum to start doing HO/POs if you miss a note. Such a great feature :D

ultron87

rhfb said:
Those are hammer-on/pull off sections where you don't have to restrum to start doing HO/POs if you miss a note. Such a great feature :D

Ah, that makes sense. Is that actually explained anywhere in the game? It certainly isn't in the manual.

Chris R

ultron87 said:
Ah, that makes sense. Is that actually explained anywhere in the game? It certainly isn't in the manual.
:lol fuck no. I had to experiment and finally discovered what they were after a few hours. And expecting a manual to contain useful information? What do you think this is? 1999?

edit: at least I didn't see it in the manual when looking to try to find where score duel was :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rhfb said:

Wow, that's awesome. I had no idea what I was looking at when I saw one.

Chris R

firehawk12 said:
Wow, that's awesome. I had no idea what I was looking at when I saw one.
I'm not 100% sure that is what they are btw. I'm just putting forward my best guess after running into them a few times and being able to continue doing HO-POs after missing a note and not restrumming. Was doing Space Oddity Bass Expert I think when I ran into them for the first time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I noticed that they don't even have standard guitar training anymore (at least that I've noticed) so I guess the only way to test it would be just to find a song and practice it.

JeTmAn81

Maastricht said:
Wow, I'm impressed. I really like it.

I'm surprised that people don't see how the 'abstract shapes' work. I paused at the C chord in the youtube video and figured it out in seconds: the number (1) notes the position on the fretboard (for the first note placement). From there on, height indicates relative position on the other strings. Nothing means open string, double the height of the (1) note means (2), triple the height of the (1) note means (3).

This does appear to be correct, though to me it seems very unintuitive since the differences in height along the wave indicating the rest are pretty minute. It seems tough to imagine many people being able to sight-read something like that when it comes so quickly, but then again you could say the same thing about the other instrumental tracks as well.

I know sometimes I take a mental step back just to think about how many notes I'm sight-reading on an expert drum track, and it's pretty amazing.

TheExodu5

Banned
JeTmAn81 said:
This does appear to be correct, though to me it seems very unintuitive since the differences in height along the wave indicating the rest are pretty minute. It seems tough to imagine many people being able to sight-read something like that when it comes so quickly, but then again you could say the same thing about the other instrumental tracks as well.

I know sometimes I take a mental step back just to think about how many notes I'm sight-reading on an expert drum track, and it's pretty amazing.
They're probably just there as a reminder after you learn the chord.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
vatstep said:
Yeah, all the people that ended up with a LRB code last night technically already redeemed their code, so EA is giving out new ones. Hopefully people don't have to jump through too many hoops due to HMX's fuckup. :|
They just asked me for a scan of the code sheet and receipt. I have the code sheet but not receipt. Surely they can tell I only redeemed the code this afternoon (which I told them) and can just issue the code to me? Muppets.

Vicious

There's a certain cutscene/loading scene that freezes my game everytime it comes up. If the scene of the 2 roadies comes up where they're pushing a box down a ramp, the game freezes on it. Annoying.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
OK, just to recap.

- I got a LEGO Rock Band export key when I put the Rock Band 2 manual code
- I read that the export page is up and running now
- Placed the same Rock Band 2 manual code, but now it says there's an error

What's the e-mail address

Wait...nevermind.

I got an e-mail from Harmonix, but it was in my spam folder. It has a replacement code. Thank god. Hopefully it works.

Ding

TheExodu5 said:
They're probably just there as a reminder after you learn the chord.
Eventually, it ought to be pretty intuitive. Eventually.

In the fullness of time, people should be able to recognize the shape of an "A minor style" bar chord, vs. an "open E style" bar chord, at a glance. Then they'll just have to check the number to see where to "put it".

(My apologies for not knowing the real names of those chord shapes.)

And yeah, some songs won't ever be sight-readable for some people. They will have to sit down and practice it all out beforehand. During the "performance", the notation will mostly just be there to remind the player what part is coming up, and how many times the section repeats.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The replacement code Harmonix sent me worked. Went to the redeem section of Rock Band 3, entered it, and it will appear under the redeem section as Rock Band 2 export...you just have to wait a few seconds before it appears. I left it downloading at home. Hopefully by the time I get back the download is done.

Tenks said:
Yeah but I'm not going to be composing music with other people anytime ever. I know when I was taking lessons with Kris Norris he put alot of emphasis on memorizing chord names and shapes but that is simply because it makes writing music easier. Since all I want to do is jam out on my Fender in my boxers I don't want to have to memorize the shape of an Am7#.

Do you mean memorize the notation or the hand shape you have to make?
There really isn't any way to play most songs with chords at speed until your hands remember every chord shape you need. A lot of shapes are repeated anyway, so it isn't that bad but that Space Oddity vid is so dense in notes that it would be impossible to read that fast as it goes by. The best way to build up your chord repertoire is to just learn songs you like and play them. There are really only a couple essential shapes and then you start working different new ones in as they come up in new songs.

I don't think the way the notation is set up is for complete beginners. For me, I see the notation and the way the chords are blocked out I think it looks perfect for when songs get fast and I haven't memorized the whole thing and need reminders for what is coming, it's an at a glance chart without overwhelming note density.

I can't wait for the Squire. $200 - $300 is a really awkward price point for a guitar but for this game I'm in. These music games have always been fun, but I've never bothered getting any myself because I don't want to invest in learning the 5 button patterns.

Zachack

For those with the game, is it possible to go into practice mode and watch the pro-guitar (or drum/key) charts with the other audio elements playing and without having a pro instrument plugged in? Or are the charts basically locked out from viewing?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Rewrite said:
OK, just to recap.

- I got a LEGO Rock Band export key when I put the Rock Band 2 manual code
- I read that the export page is up and running now
- Placed the same Rock Band 2 manual code, but now it says there's an error

What's the e-mail address

Wait...nevermind.

I got an e-mail from Harmonix, but it was in my spam folder. It has a replacement code. Thank god. Hopefully it works.

Err, the back of my PS3 RB2 manual is a 12 digit code.
So when I get the game on Friday should I enter this 12 digit code into "Redeem Code" in Rock Band 3.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Okay, I've held off posting this until things died down slightly.

GameStop goofed, and they gave me both a 360 code and a PS3 code for the pre-order bonus tracks. So if you want those three songs on PS3, you can have it.

But. I want TF2 items. So anyone who wants it can PM, but priority will go to anyone who can offer a Vita-Saw and/or Bushwhacka and/or some awesome hat. (I won't take it for nothing, I'll send a lesser item as well as the code.)

Top Bottom