• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

JeTmAn81

Archie said:

Looks cool, but I have no idea how that guitar notation is supposed to work. As a guitarist, I know exactly how to play an Fmaj7/E, but on the game it looks like it's only indicating one of the notes (first fret on the second string). What about the rest of the chord??? It looks like all the chords are shown like that, seems confusing to me.

Raistlin

TheFreshPrince said:
I could be missing something obvious, but for Pro Keys, is there any sort of indication as to where the starting finger position should be?

I'm playing Pro Keys on Medium, so no scaling up and down yet....but where do your hands start?

It matters what key you are playing in.

Try some of these scale exercises: http://www.audiblefaith.com/artists/rharrell/music/pianoscales. 1 is your thumb, 2 is the pointer finger, etc.

It's a lot to take in at once. I'd recommend figuring out the keys for a couple of songs you want to learn ... and then practice the scales for those. Trying to memorize all the scales at once probably isn't practical unless you really want to learn piano.

Oh, and you only need to pay attention to the G clef (top clef, played by your right hand).

dave is ok

aztek is ok
TheFreshPrince said:
I could be missing something obvious, but for Pro Keys, is there any sort of indication as to where the starting finger position should be?

I'm playing Pro Keys on Medium, so no scaling up and down yet....but where do your hands start?
It changes, look at the colors on the screen and match then up with the stickers on the keyboard.

You can also press down on the keys without penalty before the keyboard part kicks in

EDIT: All of the scales are in the Pro-Keys tutorial section too

Raistlin

JeTmAn81 said:
Looks cool, but I have no idea how that guitar notation is supposed to work. As a guitarist, I know exactly how to play an Fmaj7/E, but on the game it looks like it's only indicating one of the notes (first fret on the second string). What about the rest of the chord??? It looks like all the chords are shown like that, seems confusing to me.

Yeah, it'll take a while to get used to I suspect.

Wish they just scrolled tablature horizontally :p

Raistlin said:

If they make a new game I would bet on scrolling tablature and actual music notation being on there. That is all that is really left to teach.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
bounchfx said:
- I think it's 66 songs? but yeah, not all of them, and a chunk of those barely use keys :(

yeah, hey might not be counting the three free doors tracks, plus the gamestop bonus 3 pack.

JeTmAn81

Raistlin said:

Yeah, I've been reading tablature for so long that I can fairly easily sightread a piece just from the tablature (not so much with classical notation!). I can't imagine it would be too difficult for a new player to understand, especially since tab is used by almost every new player of real guitars anyway.

It's a moot point for me since I don't need the game as a tool for learning guitar (I do for drums), but it's not very useful if it doesn't show people the actual notes for the chords they're supposed to be playing.

komarkaze

Raistlin said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone else make the attempt to sing while playing an instrument?
I can sing and play guitar or bass on expert but only for songs that I memorized the lyrics or songs that have pauses between singing and guitar. Examples are Seven Nation Army and Texas Flood. I tried playing expert drums and singing but am less successful because I either forget to sing or I don't realize I run out of breath. I managed to pass Come out and Play on drums/ vocals. A mic stand is a must, though I was using an upright vacuum as a ghetto solution.

Tenks

JeTmAn81 said:

Agreed that notation made no sense to me. Easily noted with the C chord. It just said "1" with some weird looking shape.

Tenks

dave is ok said:
I think when theres a 7 and a line, you just play a power chord on the 7th fret. I might be wrong though

?? But a power chord would require you to be on the 7th and 9th fret. I'm confused how you'd know if you're playing a power chord on 7/9 or just an perfect 12 on the 7th.

Raistlin

JeTmAn81 said:
Yeah, I've been reading tablature for so long that I can fairly easily sightread a piece just from the tablature (not so much with classical notation!). I can't imagine it would be too difficult for a new player to understand, especially since tab is used by almost every new player of real guitars anyway.

It's a moot point for me since I don't need the game as a tool for learning guitar (I do for drums), but it's not very useful if it doesn't show people the actual notes for the chords they're supposed to be playing.

Yeah, I can already play guitar too. My issue is that I suspect I and others will not be able to sight-read this notation as well as tab.

While there are certainly songs I truly 'learn', my typical use-case for tons of songs is that I play them during a party setting. While I may know the gist of the song, it certainly isn't memorized and I therefore need to do some level of sight reading.

By re-inventing the wheel, it seems like they wasted development time as well as actually making things harder on the user. The point of this (for some) is to learn to play in the real world. Why not make the notation as close to what they'll really see?

Remy

levious said:
:lol Can't remember which song, but I had my hand at the ready on the keyboard for the last 2 minutes of the song for nothing.

Undoubtedly it's Rock Lobster, since I went through the same thing.

Deadstar

Played for a few hours and a few things are a bit strange to me on vocals.

1. Is there no more fatness to the singing line when changing difficulties to lower settings? If not, what does changing the difficulty even do? It was nice to have a visual indicator of the range you could hit in order to score well.

2. Where is mic sensitivity? I felt like I had to sing louder than I normally do as I used to bump up the mic sensitivity a lot so I didn't have to scream.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Tenks said:
?? But a power chord would require you to be on the 7th and 9th fret. I'm confused how you'd know if you're playing a power chord on 7/9 or just an perfect 12 on the 7th.
I just figured from watching the videos that the game expected a three string 799 or whatever when the line showed up. I haven't played Pro-Guitar at all though, so this is a completely uneducated guess.

EDIT: After watching that Space Oddity video, I really have no clue. I guess they just expect you to know every chord. The blue lines kind of hint towards the general shape of the chord, and a space means an open string (I think) but I still have no clue how someone can deduce the shape of a C chord, by a 1 with some squiggly lines after it - the game must expect that you know already.

Merovin

toythatkills said:
Where did you order? Some places claim to have keyboards in stock.
A couple of months ago. Well, beginning of September roughly.

Raistlin said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone else make the attempt to sing while playing an instrument?
Only with songs I know the lyrics too already, I've tried doing so with others, they did not end well.. :lol

JeTmAn81

Tenks said:

If they're only notating power chords, then that's a pretty poor representation of what's being played. There's no way to play an FM7 (aka Fmaj7) as a power chord, and really power chords don't technically have a tonality, so you're not even playing a major or a minor!

Sh0k

Keyboard is so frustrating ! If I play a song with Keys Pro on easy, matching 10 fingers on the keyboard to the screen keyboard, everything is fine but boring. When i move to medium, all hell breaks loose and I keep failing every single song.

Any tips ??

Tenks

JeTmAn81 said:
If they're only notating power chords, then that's a pretty poor representation of what's being played. There's no way to play an FM7 (aka Fmaj7) as a power chord, and really power chords don't technically have a tonality, so you're not even playing a major or a minor!

I have to wonder if the player turned off some options or something. I thought that if you were to play a C chord it would have a "3" on the 5th, a "2" on the 4th and a "1" on the 2nd. Instead it just said "1" with some abstract shape.

JeTmAn81

Tenks said:
I have to wonder if the player turned off some options or something. I thought that if you were to play a C chord it would have a "3" on the 5th, a "2" on the 4th and a "1" on the 2nd. Instead it just said "1" with some abstract shape.

This seems likely to me. It makes no sense for Harmonix to put out a complete guitar solution without providing the player with a way to match up the music to what's available on the guitar. We'll know more when more videos are available. I could only find the Space Oddity video when searching for pro guitar on YouTube.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
JeTmAn81 said:
As someone who doesn't really play guitar or have any idea how to read tablature, what I got from that Space Oddity video is:

1) The number is the fret furthest up the neck currently in use.

2) The white bar under the notes represents the strings to be strummed.

3) The blue line is finger placement on the strings. If the line is low, the string is being pressed. If it's high, it's not.

The only thing I don't see is what frets those other strings are being pressed on. Maybe there's an option for that? Or maybe on Expert you're supposed to know on your own based on the chord names being given?

Tenks

JeTmAn81 said:
This seems likely to me. It makes no sense for Harmonix to put out a complete guitar solution without providing the player with a way to match up the music to what's available on the guitar. We'll know more when more videos are available. I could only find the Space Oddity video when searching for pro guitar on YouTube.

I went through and reviewed some of the older official videos and it in fact does look like it just gives you a number and abstract shape. This really crushes alot of my enthusiasm for the game. The beauty about tab notation is you don't have to memorize the shapes of a million different chords.

Raistlin

Tenks said:
I went through and reviewed some of the older official videos and it in fact does look like it just gives you a number and abstract shape. This really crushes alot of my enthusiasm for the game. The beauty about tab notation is you don't have to memorize the shapes of a million different chords.

To be honest, it's probably better to learn this way.

But I agree, I'd rather have straight tab ... or at least the option for it.

Tenks

Yeah but I'm not going to be composing music with other people anytime ever. I know when I was taking lessons with Kris Norris he put alot of emphasis on memorizing chord names and shapes but that is simply because it makes writing music easier. Since all I want to do is jam out on my Fender in my boxers I don't want to have to memorize the shape of an Am7#.

LegoDad

So i ordered this from gamestop on day 1, i better get the game before the free doors songs go away, or i'm going to be pissed.

From the RB website on GD exporting on the Wii:

Exporting Songs from Green Day: Rock Band (Wii): Exporting using Rock Band 3:
Load your copy of Rock Band 3.
Select “Get More Songs” from the Main Menu.
Select “Redeem Code.”
Select “Redeem Code” on the subsequent screen.
Enter the 16 digit code on the back of the manual that came with your copy of Green Day: Rock Band.
All tracks will appear in the “Previously Redeemed Codes” menu.
Note that on the Wii, you can select which specific tracks you want to export into Rock Band 3. Also note that downloading exported songs on the Wii may take up to several minutes per song. Finally, note that Green Day: Rock Band tracks on Wii are only playable in Rock Band 3 and are not playable in Rock Band 2.

There's no mention of the export fee. Has anyone tried it? Is it free or not?

Lone_Prodigy said:
From the RB website on GD exporting on the Wii:

There's no mention of the export fee. Has anyone tried it? Is it free or not?

Good question. Also, does anyone know how many blocks of space it takes?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the exporting suspended? I go to both the Lego and RB2 PS3 export URLs and they just redirect to rockband.com.

edit: RB2 seemed to work but lego rock band gave me an error, then said the code was already redeemed (probably due to the error originally..)

and why are the methods different? In Lego Rock Band you enter the code, get another code, redeem that in the PSN store, which activates the export, then you export from the LRB game. But in RB2 you have to redeem in RB3 which seems odd. It also means you can't export from RB2 to play in lego rock band (yes, why etc etc) unless you also have RB3.

Sh0k said:
Keyboard is so frustrating ! If I play a song with Keys Pro on easy, matching 10 fingers on the keyboard to the screen keyboard, everything is fine but boring. When i move to medium, all hell breaks loose and I keep failing every single song.

Any tips ??
do some of the pro keys tutorials.

you aren't supposed to be matching ten fingers to ten keys.

mrklaw said:
is the exporting suspended? I go to both the Lego and RB2 PS3 export URLs and they just redirect to rockband.com.

Yes, supposedly it's the web team's top priority (from their Twitter). BUT it's a PS3 only problem at this point (I guess 360 users can do it straight from the console), so I wouldn't hold your breath until all the 360-side kinks have been worked out.

DukeSucks

Raistlin said:

I can only do it playing expert bass and easy vocals on just the Ten album because I know every song so well.

I was playing RB3 last night with a friend and he was doing expert vocals with expert guitar/bass. Constantly got high 90%on both, but failed out of Good Vibrations pretty quickly :lol

Yeef

bryehn said:
I FC'd Need You Tonight on Pro Expert :lol

Thought it was hilarious.
I was #1 on Low Rider, expert guitar the first time I played it. That surprised me because my path seemed less than ideal. I'm sure that I'm like #8425 by now.

Anyone know if there's a setting so that instead of telling you your place on the leaderboard after a song it tells you the place you are just amongst your friends?

grmartin

Neo Member
playing regular keys has sort of reminded me how my brain associates notes and fingers when playing rock band guitar. Playing keys, I always want to hit green notes with my index finger, and blue notes with my pinky, and then shift my hand for orange, since that's what years of fake guitar has taught me.

Having the exact same problem. And the more I focus on not messing up, the more I mess up.

Expert pro keys on "Light My Fire" killed me in about three seconds.

Aspiring

Okay so the PS3 export is back up yet it says my code has alreay been redeemed and when i reenter the code on PSN i still get LEGO Rock Band. WTF HMX!?!?!

I3rand0

Aspiring said:
Okay so the PS3 export is back up yet it says my code has alreay been redeemed and when i reenter the code on PSN i still get LEGO Rock Band. WTF HMX!?!?!

Same thing happened to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aspiring said:

sounds like you already redeemed it earlier, and got the wrong code. So you'll have to raise it with their support. I'm having to do the same :/

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
mrklaw said:
sounds like you already redeemed it earlier, and got the wrong code. So you'll have to raise it with their support. I'm having to do the same :/
Yeah, all the people that ended up with a LRB code last night technically already redeemed their code, so EA is giving out new ones. Hopefully people don't have to jump through too many hoops due to HMX's fuckup. :|

Axiom

You guys aren't getting error'd to fuck trying to access the website?

Oh and staying up all night playing Rock Band isn't helping me fix the sleeping pattern that Super Meat Boy ruined

Aspiring

EDIT:

Just goy my key through email!! YAY it worksthis time!!!

If anyone wants a LEGO key and all they have to do is enter the coe PM me :D

It should work unless HMX cancelled it.

EDIT: WTF? I enetered the code an all it said was thank you for using playstatin network, no download nothing, and now the code will not work? Maybe you have to go through RB3 and i hope i have not fucked it now?

Just got my replacement code in the email (12:32pm MT). I typed the code on the RB3 site last night at 10:02pm MT so I'm not sure if the emails are going out in order of time sent or not.

It works and it's a 1959mb download. So far it's not bad download rate. I'm positive the servers are going to get heavy soon.

*edit* I used the code in the RB3 game itself and got that same message then the "RB2" Purchase showed up below the Redeem code. Then went to "Thank you for using Playstation Network" and finally launched into the PSN where I could purchase the unlock and start downloading.

Aspiring said:
EDIT: WTF? I enetered the code an all it said was thank you for using playstatin network, no download nothing, and now the code will not work? Maybe you have to go through RB3 and i hope i have not fucked it now?

has anyone else tried to redeem the voucher you're given after entering your code at the Rock Band site? I'm at work and can't try it now, hopefully this is not a widespread problem or at least it works correctly if you go through the RB3 store.

Aspiring

drmcclin said:
has anyone else tried to redeem the voucher you're given after entering your code at the Rock Band site? I'm at work and can't try it now, hopefully this is not a widespread problem or at least it works correctly if you go through the RB3 store.

Well i am hoping that once i enter the RB3 game (i dont have it yet) it will just show up and work, as it looke correct, it said "thank you for using playstation store" mae me accept Terms an Conditions and had a picture of the export pack so hopefully once i enter RB3 it will be fine.

Juging from CADTAFELIX's post as well as what they have tol me over on Rockban.com once i put the RB3 isc in i will be fine. Phew! :D

Top Bottom