• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Raistlin

demosthenes said:
Can you export Beatles RB to RB3?

:(

allegate said:
HMX doing something for the PS3 that's half-assed? No.

I know I appear to be mostly posting anti-ps3 in this thread but it's really anti-hmx ps3 support. They've been horrible about it, and it hasn't gotten any better. I think the only users hmx dislikes more than the ps3 owners are the Europe/overseas ones.

Is there any explanation for this? Did Sony dick them over in the Freq/Amp days or something? It just seems odd ... if they're going to dislike someone, it should be Wii owners :lol

Rahk

sneaky77 said:
Character creating... we can only choose full outfits? no customizing the outfit.. kinda strange decision there
You can customise. I think when you create your character you can only choose full outfits, but then you can customise in the other menu. You also might need to unlock clothes.

Edit: Oops, didn't see above post.

allegate said:
HMX doing something for the PS3 that's half-assed? No.

I know I appear to be mostly posting anti-ps3 in this thread but it's really anti-hmx ps3 support. They've been horrible about it, and it hasn't gotten any better. I think the only users hmx dislikes more than the ps3 owners are the Europe/overseas ones.
In what way, other then the god-awful RBN, is HMX anti-PS3?

Aspiring

Raistlin said:
Is there any explanation for this? Did Sony dick them over in the Freq/Amp days or something? It just seems odd ... if they're going to dislike someone, it should be Wii owners :lol

You would think that the money Sony gave HMX for the Rock Band On Tour with Playstation promotion thing that they are sweet. I think its just more to o with the 360 being the lead platform and such. oes piss me off though being on PS3.

Anyway my RB3 is so close to me. Its sitting in a depot like 45 minutes away from my house, though being a Sunday there are no deliveries. Can't wait until after work tomorrow. Going to be a fucking awesome day!!!!

Raistlin said:
Not when they have the largest install base this gen.

PhoncipleBone said:

However, they also have a near inability to purchase DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the reason for Harmonix being so disproportionately supportive of all platforms. I know that my friends and I utilized account sharing so that we could all have compatible song lists (shady, no doubt, but it probably also sold a lot of songs for those guys). Perhaps HMX sees significantly less return on their downloadables on PSN and wants to usher their consumers toward the platform where people don't have the option to share their stuff?

BlewHedgehog said:
However, they also have a near inability to purchase DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the reason for Harmonix being so disproportionately supportive of all platforms. I know that my friends and I utilized account sharing so that we could all have compatible song lists (shady, no doubt, but it probably also sold a lot of songs for those guys). Perhaps HMX sees significantly less return on their downloadables on PSN and wants to usher their consumers toward the platform where people don't have the option to share their stuff?
The DLC and Export issues with Wii are a major problem, I agree. But the fact that it has the largest install base and casual games sell very well on there does make it kind of a priority for them I would think.

The PS3 issue, I have no clue.

Raistlin

I was just browsing through the tracklist while everything is downloading.

Fucking lol at the Roundabout rating. That will be fun :D

I really wish Squier (or someone else) would make a bass. Play the pro bassline on a strat is going to be DUMB x infinity :(

PhoncipleBone said:

Ok ... but do they have the largest RB install base? I'm going to have to guess it's not even close. And what numbers they do have are artificially inflated as far as the RB 'platform' is concerned anyway. The DLC numbers per user have got to be freakin' terrible.

Raistlin said:
Ok ... but do they have the largest RB install base? I'm going to have to guess it's not even close. And what numbers they do have are artificially inflated as far as the RB 'platform' is concerned anyway. The DLC numbers per user have got to be freakin' terrible.
They probably have the smallest RB install base, no doubt. But after how much GH III sold on Wii compared to other platforms, I am sure they made getting the Wii version as good as possible a pretty damn big priority instead of handing it off to another developer to port at a later date like they did with RB1.

And as far as "Roundabout" goes, the guitar rating is a lil high. Five stars? Yes. Devil horns? No, except lil tiny pockets.

On bass? It deserves every lil horn of its rating. That song is a bitch on bass during the beginning, middle, and end. Then lil pockets of not too terrifying in between.

On drums, I have only tried it on Hard Pro, so cannot speak to the terror of expert, but I am sure it is terrifying.

On keys, again, it earns its rating.

legend166

The blue pad on my GHWT drums which I've been using to play Rock Band for the last two years just died. We're gonna crack it open and see if we can fix it.

If not, what's the cheapest place online to get the RB2 drums + cymbal pack? Is that the best way to go?

rhfb said:
In all instruments mode can two people play the same thing? Like two guitars or two bass or two drums aka score duel minus the duel?

Did anyone ever answer this? I'll be picking up the game soon anyway, but it would be so great to do this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
This is taking a while.

Exporting RB1, RB2, RB2 extras, RB:Green Day, Lego RB, and all my DLC onto a new PS3. :lol

RB:AC/DC should show up in a few days too.

re-exporting? Don't they move across with a backup/restore? I did one of those recently and haven't checked the status of my DLC.

Ok, so I found a Beatles LE set for ~90$ also ordered RB3. So I should be set.

Just one request please anyone, any kind soul with a PS3 and Rock Band 3 want to sign in my account and activate the doors songs for me? <3 mine won't be here until the second. Maybe the 1st depending on where it ships from.

The_Reckoning said:
Ok, so I found a Beatles LE set for ~90$ also ordered RB3. So I should be set.

Just one request please anyone, any kind soul with a PS3 and Rock Band 3 want to sign in my account and activate the doors songs for me? <3 mine won't be here until the second. Maybe the 1st depending on where it ships from.
Sure. Just change your password to anything new and PM me the details.

remz

sneaky77 said:
I gotta say I feel Harmonix has taken a step backwards in a couple of things, the fretboard.. transparent, why? big step back in terms of visibility here.. I don't get it.. is there anyway to make it solid.. and a little bigger..

The missed notes penalizing more.. why change that after so many yrs of being used to the other.. not really a big deal but still.. is annoying.

Character creating... we can only choose full outfits? no customizing the outfit.. kinda strange decision there
I played the first 10-12 songs I guess... so far setlist is pretty underwhelming.. I think the cure song is the best so far..
Customization is exactly the same as rb2, they just let you pick a set at the start

I have a Roland TD-9S electric drum kit. I know lots of people modded it to play Rock Band 1 and 2, would I be able to use this for pro drums?

RolandTD9K.jpg

roland_td9_drumModuleLarge.jpg

Here's the side of the module
BOTD9-xl-02.jpg

@Reck
Well, I've deleted all my RB3 data, after I've backed it up, because it wouldn't let me download it again, since I already did that through my account. But now when I try to download it ingame it just tells me it's not available atm... A reason for this may be that I'm located in Germany and using a EUR version of the game. I guess you need someone with a US version of the game and being located in the US actually. Sry, mate. Really tried it :(.

Mailenstein said:
@Reck
Well, I've deleted all my RB3 data, after I've backed it up, because it wouldn't let me download it again, since I already did that through my account. But now when I try to download it ingame it just tells me it's not available atm... A reason for this may be that I'm located in Germany and using a EUR version of the game. I guess you need someone with a US version of the game and being located in the US actually. Sry, mate. Really tried it :(.

Hmm, appreciate the effort. Offer still open for any friendly US PS3 RB3 owners haha.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
If no one else offers, I'll do it for you. I'm home now! Just PM the instructions since it'll be my first time doing something like this lol.

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
re-exporting? Don't they move across with a backup/restore? I did one of those recently and haven't checked the status of my DLC.

The game discs weren't re-exported, I just bought them. Up until now, I've only had RB1. The only thing re-exported was the DLC.

I didn't do a backup because I have more than one PS3 I'm using.

Raistlin

Scuba Steve said:
I have a Roland TD-9S electric drum kit. I know lots of people modded it to play Rock Band 1 and 2, would I be able to use this for pro drums?

RolandTD9K.jpg

roland_td9_drumModuleLarge.jpg

Here's the side of the module
BOTD9-xl-02.jpg

I have the SX model (mesh heads all around), and yes it will work once the MIDI adapter is available. The TD-9 sound module's trigger mapping can be reprogrammed (MIDI ID for each trigger), so we're all good.

Mad Catz was smart and gave several ID's for each trigger, so plenty of kits with non-programmable MIDI output should work anyway.

madcatz_midi_pro.jpg

Mad Catz MIDI Pro Adapter User's Manual

Thread about the MIDI-Pro (the site is awesome for all things Rockband)

BTW - if you have an Ion 'brain', you can use that for PS3 in the meantime.

Raistlin

The_Reckoning said:
Hmm, appreciate the effort. Offer still open for any friendly US PS3 RB3 owners haha.

Send me a PM and I'll give it a shot if Rewrite doesn't get it working.

I'm about to step out to grab some coffee and a bagel, but I'll be back in a few minutes.

so1337

Anyone from Europe getting the Midi Adapter? Where are you guys getting it from? Doesn't appear to be listed on Amazon UK...

Hmm... is it even possible to get the cymbal pack in the UK? I'm looking at upgrading the Beatles RB drums but I can't seem to find the cymbals anywhere. I've seen one site selling a 2 pack... but doesn't pro drums on RB3 need three? (It's what the pro drum pack comes with)

Psychotext said:
Hmm... is it even possible to get the cymbal pack in the UK? I'm looking at upgrading the Beatles RB drums but I can't seem to find the cymbals anywhere. I've seen one site selling a 2 pack... but doesn't pro drums on RB3 need three? (It's what the pro drum pack comes with)
You can technically play pro drums with just one. Can't imagine it being quite the same experience though.

I don't want to be, but I'm so confused over the lack of quality/polish in some major things, it's souring me on the whole idea of getting RB3 at all (the original plan was to wait for the Squire ...). Maybe my fellow GAFers can clear up what I don't get about this game:

Overshell Madness:
So this new overshell was supposed to let players do things without interfering with anyone else (if one person wants to switch to lefty, his actions wouldn't affect anyone else gameplay-wise) along with give new options.

None of this seems to work for me. At the beginning of a song, if I press Start, I still pause the song and I'm not accessing my overshell when trying to switch from lefty. It seems like the overshell only works for menus, but why? Each player has their own real estate during a song, so why not just put the overshell in their highway? This pausing is true when trying to switch difficulties on the fly.

Oh yeah, no unpause countdown when I was done ...

The biggest omission that Harmonix was hyping up all this time was the ability to switch players on the fly. I'm on a 360 and our four band players like to rotate instruments between setlists. In the old games, we just conceded that we were stuck on the controller/instrument that we were signed in on. In RB3, you were supposed to be able to rotate/shift, but it doesn't seem to work. We were only able to use a non-signed-in controller to take over a signed player, then waterfall that to the other controller:

Start: Gamer1 on drums, Gamer2 on keys, no profile on mic and guitar.
Process: mic takes on Gamer1. drums take on Gamer2. guitar and keys have no profile.

I didn't make clear above what's wrong. This only works if no one is signed in on at least one controller. If Gamer1 was to move to keys, he can't move to it until Gamer2 left it. Same is true for Gamer2 if he wanted to go to drums. The only way a profile can leave their spot is to have an unassigned profile take on theirs.

Filters Work/Don't Work:
Since it's our first time with RB3, we obviously only wanted to play songs that had keys. So we go into the filters and appropriately filter out keys. That worked. However, next setlist, we had to go back in all over again because the filters reset. That happened over and over again for the four hours we played ...

What the hell is up with goals?:
The World Tour from RB2 is my favorite. You can pick your city, pick your venue, and choose between "goals." GH/RB had pre-defined sets, but at least you could select which one you wanted to play once you're sufficiently deep in. RB3 has these "goals" that seems like the worst of all worlds. Each goal has a name and nothing else that really distinguishes it from the others. Example:

RB1/GH: A setlist is based on the tier of the instrument you're playing. You can tell that and pick which tier/instrument setlist you want to play.
RB2: A setlist is based on the city/venue you want to choose. The city/venue setlists vary based on type: random setlist, make your own setlist, a pre-determined setlist, or play a specific song.
RB3: A setlist seems to only be distinguished by its title, which tells you where your vehicle is traveling on map (which now doesn't matter because we're not world-touring). When in a "goal", you only can select from the three choices in the first "city." It just feels like the freedom that was in RB/RB2 is now gone from RB3.

My/your band. Who cares?:
(Author's Note: I was playing with friends on a friend's copy of RB3, so I didn't explore through all the menus before we started playing. This is also true of the other games too though, so I'm talking about presentation/focus, not my lack of RFTM ...)

RB2 was all about the band. You form one, you fill it with characters, you create the logo, etc. In the abomination known as Lego RB, it took it one step further with the ability to create your own albums (the only cool thing from that game ..., that, and the Power of Rock ...)

In RB3, we had no idea who's band was in control for the longest time. That upper-right box that had a (select/back) button option to "view your band" didn't ever seem to work. We had no idea where these characters from and why we were only able to switch to premades (wow, taking a step back into a GH feature).

Once we figured out how the upper-right box worked (it toggles the active band), we asked: "Why the hell would you ever use this feature?" My friend had played earlier, so his band was much farther along than mine. Both of our "bands" are accumulating XP when playing, so why would I ever make my band the active one? (it's lack of progress limits your choices)

Simplicity Leads to Complexity:
This first item is borrowed from a previous poster:

Setting stand-ins is a semi-guessing game until you figure it out. In RB2, you pick which characters stands-in to which instrument. You can do this in RB3, once you figure out which instrument maps to which assignment order you did in RB3's menu. Apparently, the freedom to map characters to instruments in RB2 was too complex, so they dumbed down the menu so that you just assign four characters and pray that they'll end up where you want them to ...

#2 boggles my mind and makes me angry. Harmony vocals are also secretly mapped.
In RB: Beatles, all three mics have the freedom to sing whatever part they want. They can even switch at any time to help others. As long as somebody sings the parts when they're active, it's all good.

In RB3, two things went horribly wrong: 1) the results summary no longer breaks down who contributed to which tracks %-wise, reducing feedback about who's doing/not doing which part. 2) the individual mics seem to be tied to specific harmonic parts (mic 1 to blue, mic 2 to orange, mic 3 to brown).

Test case: Pick a song with a verse that all of the harmonies share (the verse is sung the same way for all players). Sing it right on one mic, mess it up on the other. In RB: Beatles, you'll end up with all of the harmonies' fill meters complete. In RB3, one or more of the harmonies' fill meters will reflect the broken singing progress. The lack of UI feedback on how the mapping actually is and the lack of a summary breakdown on the results page makes harmonies singing confusing.

Summary:
I want to love RB3. I own RB, RB2, Lego RB (oops), and RB: Beatles. I hate the GH series with a fanboi passion. I was planning on shelling the $350+ for a Fender Squire and it's the reason why I haven't bought RB3 yet. But now that I've played it, I have no idea why I'd buy it. RB2 to me is a superior game for anyone who doesn't have/want Pro-parts.

Raistlin

^^^

You should post that at the Rockband forums in the appropriate thread. There are some very good points in your post, but who knows if the devs will see it here.

Well I'm sure someone from Harmonix is watching gaf, but it will probably have greater weight over there.

Plaguefox said:
Lots of legit concerns here. This is good stuff. Still, the above-quoted I think is shown if you press down on the results screen. You're talking about the blue / orange matrix of percentages, right?

I'm relatively sure that it still doesn't matter which microphone is singing which line, too, but I haven't paid that close attention to it. I just know my wife and I haven't run into an issue and we're always bobbing back and forth between melody and harmony mid-song (granted, it's out of both of us stumbling desperately to figure out where we're supposed to be, but hey).

For the harmonies matrix, I have to admit that I couldn't find it. It took forever to figure out that the down-arrow scrolled through results, so by the time I discovered it (of course, when I was hitting the blue drumpad to up-rate Bohemian Rhapsody ...), it didn't dawn on me to do the same for vocals. Will check tonight (second session already scheduled).

For the contributions, I care for two different reasons:
1. None of us are really singers, so harmony singing is a level of complexity we constantly fight. Sorry George Harrison, but your harmonies part has the nickname "Dirty Brown" for a good reason ...
2. It's really hard to guage how you're doing during a song, harder yet to remember when it's all done. In Beatles, the matrix let you know if you're pulling your weight or shows clearly if two or more people sang the wrong part(s). None of this is in RB3 (assumed). Not only that, it matters moreso now, because it seems like each mic is tied to a specific harmony part (see example in my previous post).

Yeah, it's true that I should post this to rockband.com. But like all game-specific forums, I run into so many more helpful people/replies from GAF instead, so I instinctively posted here first.

Yeef

Gaming Truth said:
Oh yeah, no unpause countdown when I was done ...
The track rewinds like 3 seconds after you unpause, which I think is much better than a countdown.

RB3: A setlist seems to only be distinguished by its title, which tells you where your vehicle is traveling on map (which now doesn't matter because we're not world-touring). When in a "goal", you only can select from the three choices in the first "city." It just feels like the freedom that was in RB/RB2 is now gone from RB3.
I very much disagree with this. The best thing about the goal system is that your progress is counted no matter which mode you do. If I just want to play random songs in quickplay and happen to play songs that are part of goals the progress will be counted anyway. The DLC-specific goals are nice as well. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like individual DLC songs have their own goals when you download them. I know I had Boston-specific goals (and other bands) that I assume wouldn't be available to people without that DLC.

As for the touring, I was never personally invested in the cosmetic aspect of it. In fact, in RB2 I always preferred the Tour Challenges to World Tour mode, so maybe that's why I like the new system more. The way Road Challenges in RB3 give you a secondary goal other than score is great. Other than one instance it's always been fun and interesting.
(The one instance: Are You Gonna Be My Girl came up for me during a challenge to deploy overdrive as many times as possible. With the new way OD works there's so much overlap with the OD that I don't think it was possible to use it enough times to get 5 spades without purposely missing phrases).

Setting stand-ins is a semi-guessing game until you figure it out. In RB2, you pick which characters stands-in to which instrument. You can do this in RB3, once you figure out which instrument maps to which assignment order you did in RB3's menu. Apparently, the freedom to map characters to instruments in RB2 was too complex, so they dumbed down the menu so that you just assign four characters and pray that they'll end up where you want them to ...
I don't really like the stand-in situation either. I think it'd be best if, when customizing a character, you cound list their instrument preferences from most preferred to least. Then in the stand-in menu the first person would get first dibs, then the second gets their choice and so-on.

One thing I do like, tough, is that it switches vocalists on the fly based on if you're playing a song with male or female vocals. The only issue I've found with this is that if there are no available males in the band a different female than the normal singer will sing the male parts. It's pretty strange, but somewhat amusing.

Raistlin

Gaming Truth said:
Yeah, it's true that I should post this to rockband.com. But like all game-specific forums, I run into so many more helpful people/replies from GAF instead, so I instinctively posted here first.

Oh I didn't mean to not post it here ... do both. :)

As a matter of fact ... since you aren't sure of a few items, it's probably best that you posted it here first. That way through the discussion here you'll have a more concise post for the Rockband forums.

Nothing is more infuriating than taking the time to write a large post, and having some fanboys paint its entirety as faulty due to one or two incorrect details.

Pancho

Qurupancho
A lot of good points you brought there, Gaming Truth. I do admit that it took me a while to "get" the whole new interface, but it's odd that your filters reset after every song/setlist. For me, the filters that I activate stay that way until I turn off the game, even if I get out of the library and I go to customize character for example.

My biggest gripe with the game right now it's the fact that breakneck speed activates for everyone. Not all of my friends play with it, so if individual speeds can be achievable, why not individual breakneck speed? It's sort of dumb omission.

And is it me or has the character animations have downgraded? The drummer specifically, it doesn't look as good as it did in RB2.

we had a full band of seven playing yesterday. it was great fun.

the only over shell weirdness we ran into was that swapping two logged in players around is tricky.

basically, two of us were logged into instruments. if either of us swapped to an instrument that the other wasn't logged into it worked fine, but if we wanted to swap to each other, after dropping out, hitting start would just straight rejoin us without asking if we wanted to log in.

so i'm keys, he's on drums, we both drop out, swap instruments, hit start, and it logs me in on keys and him on drums.

what we had to do was have him log in on one of the guitars, freeing up the drums, then i could log in on the drums, then he could log in on the keyboard.

i'm going to guess that if you've got four players all logged in you're pretty much screwed if you want to swap instruments.

the harmonies definately aren't specifically mapped to a given mic when playing with seven people, but i do think the game expects everyone to sing when there are three lines on top of each other and i don't see an issue with that. we definately got some triple and double awesomes, and we weren't swapping mics around to decide who should lead and who shouldn't.

it might be different when it isn't in kareoke mode. we weren't trying to break down vocalist score... didn't look to see if it's anywhere when you do the seven people band. i can see why people would want to know though yeah.

Yeef

Snuggler said:
fucking DONGLES
I like dongles. They allow me to plug the controllers into my PC without any extra hardware.

RBN can't really be blamed on Harmonix though. It uses XNA and neither PSN nor Wii have anything similar that could be used.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why do we even need multiple skus of instruments? Why not just one set then a bunch of different dongles for PS3/360/wii? The midi box is already headed in that direcfion

mrklaw said:
Why do we even need multiple skus of instruments? Why not just one set then a bunch of different dongles for PS3/360/wii? The midi box is already headed in that direcfion
hey, keep your dongles out of my 360 rock band.

Yeef said:
The track rewinds like 3 seconds after you unpause, which I think is much better than a countdown.
Yup.

About the dongles for PS3, I'm pretty sure that all third party wireless controllers for PS3 uses dongles for some reason. At least all the third party controllers I've seen have it.

AndyMoogle said:
Yup.

About the dongles for PS3, I'm pretty sure that all third party wireless controllers for PS3 uses dongles for some reason. At least all the third party controllers I've seen have it.
i'd guess it's just a cost thing.

Chris R

Dongles are fine. Anyone else get that loading new downloaded songs popup EVERY time the game launches? Can't decide if this is a bug or if they just worded the info window badly.

rhfb said:
Dongles are fine. Anyone else get that loading new downloaded songs popup EVERY time the game launches? Can't decide if this is a bug or if they just worded the info window badly.

I do, I think everyone does. It is annoying.

rhfb said:
Yeah it comes up. Only takes a few moments and isn't too distracting. All it does is make me fear a lock up in the game.

soul creator said:
all it does is make me realize how much money I've spent on this damn series

why couldn't they have just left the number off? :lol
Want me to make it even worse for you? That number is not individual songs, but purchases. So that Iron Maiden 12 pack is only ONE number in that total, not twelve.

When I first saw the number I thought "wow, I thought I bought more than that." And then I went to the song filter screen and saw the actual number. Much higher due to the packs.
and yes, it is scary to think of how much money I have spent over the years on this game. Although I would like to think I am middle of the road for DLC. I have about 500 songs total, including exports. While I know there are some with 2000 for sure. :D

Top Bottom