• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Varna said:
I just want to try a GH controller because I've hit a giant wall in expert guitar. Main problem being alt-strumming.

People use the clicking as a metronome, which can help with counting.

KaYotiX said:
Blah blah blah, play with what you like. Ive been using the strat since RB1 and can gold star pretty much every song in RB1-3

Still dont understand the hate for the Strat.....
*someone asks for opinion*
*I post my opinion*

Oh noes!

I've owned all versions of the RB guitars up to the Harrison Beatles one. It's not like I'm pulling this opinion out my ass. It's a fact that the majority of people that play these games well don't use Harmonix hardware.

Shaneus

Glad to say I can vouch for the fun factor that's provided by both the keyboard AND the Mad Catz portable drum kit. In fact, much more emphasis on the drum kit... scored it for about $20 shipped to Australia from the US and it takes a huge deuce on the RB1 and GHWT drums. I would never think of shelling out heaps for the drumming experience but if you don't know whether you want to try drums or not, these things are a no-lose item. And they're portable... really!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shaneus said:
Glad to say I can vouch for the fun factor that's provided by both the keyboard AND the Mad Catz portable drum kit. In fact, much more emphasis on the drum kit... scored it for about $20 shipped to Australia from the US and it takes a huge deuce on the RB1 and GHWT drums. I would never think of shelling out heaps for the drumming experience but if you don't know whether you want to try drums or not, these things are a no-lose item. And they're portable... really!

360 only right?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
mrklaw said:
Road Challenges are all about spades, so I found myself downgrading to medium, to make it easier to get the streaks and also have a better chance of getting 5 stars and 5 spades. But that isn't actually challenging me to get better, I'm just playing at a level I'm comfortable with. It almost discourages pushing yourself, as you don't want to screw up a song in the middle of a 12 song challenge.
I completely agree. The spade challenges seemed like a good idea, but they are just frustrating the majority of the time. I play on Expert and some of those spade challenges are ridiculous. I had to downgrade to Hard on some of those challenges because it's impossible to get all the spades on Expert. Streakmania is the worst offender especially when there were random setlist and I'd get a really impossible song which is hard to get a good enough streak. I wasn't a fan of them at all.

Varna, you won't be disappointed with the GH 5 guitar. You will beat your old scores...I guarantee it. You won't even want to touch your Strat anymore.

Shaneus

Think so. And the pedal is absolutely kick arse. It's far lower profile, has a shorter throw than the regular one and it's all metal. Far easier on my feet.

At the moment it's all just sitting on a dinner tray in a very temporary setup, but somehow it manages to feel sturdy.

I still can't believe how cheap it is!

Rewrite said:
I completely agree. The spade challenges seemed like a good idea, but they are just frustrating the majority of the time. I play on Expert and some of those spade challenges are ridiculous. I had to downgrade to Hard on some of those challenges because it's impossible to get all the spades on Expert. Streakmania is the worst offender especially when there were random setlist and I'd get a really impossible song which is hard to get a good enough streak. I wasn't a fan of them at all.

Varna, you won't be disappointed with the GH 5 guitar. You will beat your old scores...I guarantee it. You won't even want to touch your Strat anymore.

I'm fine with the spade challenges myself. Sure they invite playing at a lower level than you could technically manage for many songs, but they're not all that hard, and once you've mastered higher levels then you do get a reward for them - on Expert you can get a higher maximum spade count, right? So once you've managed to just pass the challenges (I'm playing all on Hard as that's easy enough for me on regular guitar), you can start working at getting a higher score on them at higher levels.

Game is getting good mileage from me. Beat almost all songs on Hard now, just 10 or so to go, and quite a few on Extreme already, as well as some drums and yesterday I also did my first few bass tracks - I think this will be a nice way of getting to know a song that is relatively new to me a lot better.

Still thrilled as heck with the Red Hot full album. Working on passing them all on Expert now.

I also got a 99% score for the first time (on Hard, I think it was don't stand so close to me). I thought I had a 100% so I was very nervous at times playing through, but I guess I may have missed a note right at the beginning, don't know - I couldn't find the breakdown button immediately as it was during a road challenge. It was by far the closest I've gotten to a perfect score in any guitar game so far, and it's a testament to the smoothness of Rockband's highway and the awesomeness of the Guitar Hero WTC guitar.

Still look very much forward to getting the Mustang though, and am now contemplating the keyboard add-on as well rather than the MIDI adapter, simply because it would be so convenient to 'whip out' as it's wireless, etc.

onken

mrklaw said:
360 only right?

Gah, would totally buy one of these for PS3 if fucking MC would just release one. Don't have space for a full-size kit but those portable ones are a great idea. I seem to recall reading you can frankenstein one together if you've got one those detachable control units from the GHWT drums but you've got to get one of those first... bah.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
butter_stick said:
Theres no such thing as random songs in road challenges; it shows you on the instrument/difficulty screen what you're getting.
Random "whatever genre" setlist would appear.

butter_stick said:
You can just go back and pick it again till you get a new setlist without the hard songs. Its how I avoid Texas Flood!
Yup. I did the same thing if I saw some crazy shit thrown my way. Back out, check list again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I went out and bought a USB-MIDI cable from my local music store. Seems to work ok in garage band for both keys and guitar, but I can only get the guitar working in 'keyboard collection' - is that ok? I'm downloading the guitar loops now (1.2GB) but its playing ok as a piano right now.

Does that mean though I can't play along with any lessons? Is there some software for mac that'll help me learn? Having it on the computer means I can practice quietly away from the family so I can get more time in.

Miroslav

some noob questions, bear with me please:

- i bought lego rock band, will i be able to import the songs and play them directly in rb3? (spain here, PAL land)
- Why cant I see my profile on the rb webpage? I use the code on the game and it keeps giving me an error, does it only work for usa?
- Can I buy rock band discs from another region (from amazon usa) and be able to import the songs here in my rb3?

Thanks in advance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Miroslav said:
some noob questions, bear with me please:

- i bought lego rock band, will i be able to import the songs and play them directly in rb3? (spain here, PAL land)
- Why cant I see my profile on the rb webpage? I use the code on the game and it keeps giving me an error, does it only work for usa?
- Can I buy rock band discs from another region (from amazon usa) and be able to import the songs here in my rb3?

Thanks in advance.

- yes
- don't know
- no - all discs and DLC should be in the same region. eg I imported RB2 and so am tied to US DLC and games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The 10 max custom characters limit is all kinds of dumb. How much space can one character take? 200 KB? :/

Yeef

KaYotiX said:
how many do you guys make?? i just made my bandmates and stopped
In RB2 I had 10, oddly enough. Only had 4 in RB1. Only have 4 in RB3 though I was planning to make more.

PhoncipleBone said:
I do like that at least they have made it easy to switch instruments and take your sign on with you.

Speaking of that, does anyone know why the option is there sometimes and not others. We were playing this weekend and my friend switched to drums and pointed out the option for him to just "swap to Profile", which I hadn't noticed before. When he moved back later, no such option. We spent a few minutes signing in and out of our Live accounts, trying to get it to reappear and figure out what the deal is, but it never came back.

Leondexter said:
Speaking of that, does anyone know why the option is there sometimes and not others. We were playing this weekend and my friend switched to drums and pointed out the option for him to just "swap to Profile", which I hadn't noticed before. When he moved back later, no such option. We spent a few minutes signing in and out of our Live accounts, trying to get it to reappear and figure out what the deal is, but it never came back.
you can't swap instruments.

in other words, if you are on drums, and you drop out, and he tries to join on the drums, it will automatically sign you back in.

if he picks up a guitar (and neither of you were on that guitar) he can do the swap to profile thing.

it's slightly annoying, but once you know that to swap instruments one of you has to temporarily swap to an open instrument it isn't that bad. so you'd vacate what you were on to sign in on an open instrument, then he'd go onto what you were on, then you can go onto what he was on.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KaYotiX said:
how many do you guys make?? i just made my bandmates and stopped
I play with two separate groups of friends (respectively 6 and 3 people besides me), plus my girlfriend, plus my brother. So, yeah, I needed 12 slots.
I didn't bother making many characters in RB2 so I didn't notice the limit was so low. Still pretty dumb limitation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OK, just finished downloading the new instrument sounds - still downloading the lessons.

First the good news..

If you go into 'keyboard collections' in garageband, and select one of the guitar sounds, it works really well. I can just leave it on that screen, not recording anything, and just play. Headphones on and it sounds fantastic. Have never used garageband, so still need to explore effects/amps etc.

Couple of issues. firstly, the sustain seems excessive. If I don't press a fret to mute the string it plays at a low volume for ages. Not sure if there is a way to edit the instruments to have it decay more quickly?

Secondly you can't do slides - probably understandable with the mustang. As soon as you let go of a fret or move to another one, it cuts the note. No problem for basic learning, but thought I'd mention it.

The big downer is that this doesn't work for the guitar lessons, which is a real shame. The guitar lessons only let you select line-in or microphone inputs, assuming you have a normal guitar with a line-out socket. Shame there is no option for a MIDI input. Means I even can't use the chord trainer.

But I can still follow video lessons or books and just use it as a nice way to practice without being forced to follow a particular speed and still hearing the results.

If you really can't play hammer ons with a Mustang (no software I've found online will do it properly when it's connect by MIDI) than it's a pretty useless MIDI device. What's the point of even putting it on there.

jgkspsx

Shaneus said:
Think so. And the pedal is absolutely kick arse. It's far lower profile, has a shorter throw than the regular one and it's all metal. Far easier on my feet.
Wait, what? THe Mad Catz portable I have is plastic and folds in half.

Shaneus

jgkspsx said:
Wait, what? THe Mad Catz portable I have is plastic and folds in half.
Mine's definitely metal... it has the foldy-bit you speak of but the RB drum logo is raised on the pedal.

port-rock-drum.jpg

Shaneus said:
Mine's definitely metal... it has the foldy-bit you speak of but the RB drum logo is raised on the pedal.

port-rock-drum.jpg
Hmm, never gave the portable kit a thought, but putting that on a table might help damped the noise for the downstairs neighbors. But do the cymbals work with it?

Shaneus said:
Pretty sure they don't... there's no extra ports on the hub, just 5 (4x pads and 1x kick).
Oh well. But then I would also have to find a way to damped the foot pedal. I have tried putting my Beatles kit on top of towels to damped the impact on the floor, but nothing seems to work well. The whole apartment shakes when playing drums, and it drives me nuts. Next place we move I am going to force the wife to go for a ground floor apartment just so I can play drums more often.

Shaneus

Foot pedal is really quiet... the short throw on it means there's bugger-all noise and your foot won't get sore. Unless you're really strapped for cash, you can't lose. $15US is a steal.

PhoncipleBone said:
Oh well. But then I would also have to find a way to damped the foot pedal. I have tried putting my Beatles kit on top of towels to damped the impact on the floor, but nothing seems to work well. The whole apartment shakes when playing drums, and it drives me nuts. Next place we move I am going to force the wife to go for a ground floor apartment just so I can play drums more often.

I moved to a new apartment last year and that was literally my primary reason why (moved into a ground floor apartment)

So I can drum (and now Kinect) in peace :p

Shaneus

Can I just say how shit the marketplace and RB3 in general is for picking out keyboard songs? From what I can tell, you can't filter out songs that don't have keyboard in them, probably because there are next to no songs to pick. Seems like after the few songs I've bought and the RB1/2 song imports there are maybe <10%? So shit. There are even less to buy :(

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
best to do it through the in game store, that way you see all the parts each song has. But I thought most every DLC song since RB3 launch had keys in it?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
levious said:
best to do it through the in game store, that way you see all the parts each song has. But I thought most every DLC song since RB3 launch had keys in it?

They do, though not all. What you can do, actually, is go to the Rock Band Pro section of the in-game marketplace. There's a Pro Keys option IIRC, and everything with keys has Pro Keys, so there you go. Filter by keys. Clunky but it works.

vixlar

If I've already exported Lego Rock Band and Rock Band 1 songs to Rock Band 2, do I need to pay for export again for Rock Band 3?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
vixlar said:
If I've already exported Lego Rock Band and Rock Band 1 songs to Rock Band 2, do I need to pay for export again for Rock Band 3?
No, you already exported them so they count like the rest of your DLC.

vixlar

Jocchan said:
No, you already exported them so they count like the rest of your DLC.

Thanks a lot, Jocchan (n_n)

Now, just wait to buy the game, muahahaha. I want to play Bohemian Rhapsody NOW!!!!

Shambles

So I just snapped my drum pedal clean off right at the hinge. However this is from RB2. Is Harmonix still in the mood to help people out suffering from poorly made peripherals or am I on my own? What replacements pedals have proven to be durable for you guys?

Yeef

Generally speaking, any pedal made out of a real pedal works well. I use a value pedal, but I'm sure there are better brands out there.

If you're just looking for any metal pedal the RB2 and RB3 pedals are fine. They sell them in some Gamestops and Best Buys.

[edit] Misread that as you having the RB1 pedal.

Top Bottom