• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Shambles

It was a RB2 metal pedal but they weren't bright enough to make the joint metal too so going back to the same pedal would just end up with the same problem down the road. Thanks for the link.

Like this:
IMG_4030-1.jpg

Raistlin

Heh ... just got an email from Fender regarding the RB3 Squier.

Looks like they're doing a full court press to try and rope in customers before RB3 is killed off :(

Plaguefox said:
Someone that's playing with three cymbals on Pro Drums, go play Bat Country expert and let me know when you figure out what the problem is. :)

(edit: nevermind, the cymbals charted as toms are apparently already pretty well known. But hey, fun to stumble across.)

sounds like they didn't bother to re-chart aspects of the song. considering regular drums uses the red pad for that stuff sometimes. I should probably play some A7X on Pro Drums.

Fender Squire website is up btw. http://www.fender.com/features/rockband3/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
Heh ... just got an email from Fender regarding the RB3 Squier.

Looks like they're doing a full court press to try and rope in customers before RB3 is killed off :(

looks good. Were they doing the online guitar lessons before or only started now? I like the way they are pushing the game as a way to learn your favourite songs.

Don't get so depressed about RB3, I'm sure it'll be fine (fingers crossed)

Eric Hall

Just getting around to actually playing through most of the RB3 songs and I have come to two conclusions.

Something Bigger, Something Brighter is one of the best guitar songs ever

and

Having been playing these games since the first Guitar Hero, I thought I had played the worst of the worst on guitar. I never thought anything could pass songs such as Muse: Assassin, System of a Down: BYOB, or Prototype: The Way it Ends, but dear god Antibodies is so terrible. One of the worst songs in any game, ever

BrokenBox

I like the song a lot, but the chart for Guitar and Bass (just the outro) is pretty awful. The Bass outro is more my fault though. :\

I see NPD is in, RB3 nabbed 15th spot.

After all the doom and gloom about the death of the plastic instrument genre, I didn't think it was too bad.

It is a huge fall from the high sales of RB2, but not a total disaster.

The 10th placed game had sales of 225,000. So RB3 sales were at least 100,000. Maybe as high as 150,000. That is off only 6 days of sales, probably get at least another 60,000 for November and 20,000 for December. The Fender Squier launch will create a buzz for a few more sales and if Harmonix maintains the same level of quality DLC they should see a steady stream of additional sales for a few more months. Some RB2 players will still want to upgrade when the right DLC arrives and the online community shifts.

A niche user base of around 300,000 gamers that regularly buys DLC, doesn't seem to bad to me. Certainly enough to create a sustainable business model around. Harmonix has lost the casual crowd, but used the investment money took hook the more dedicated follower much more deeply.

Creating more musicians is where their heart's truly lie. It is only a matter of time before a break through new Artist credits their first steps to RB. This will create a neat circle when their music then become RB DLC. The game that just copies the music playing experience becomes the source of new music.

15th place from six days sales with short supply of Keyboard, Mustang, Midi adaptor and no Fender is not that bad.

Nick Laslett said:
I see NPD is in, RB3 nabbed 15th spot.

After all the doom and gloom about the death of the plastic instrument genre, I didn't think it was too bad.

It is a huge fall from the high sales of RB2, but not a total disaster.

The 10th placed game had sales of 225,000. So RB3 sales were at least 100,000. Maybe as high as 150,000. That is off only 6 days of sales, probably get at least another 60,000 for November and 20,000 for December. The Fender Squier launch will create a buzz for a few more sales and if Harmonix maintains the same level of quality DLC they should see a steady stream of additional sales for a few more months. Some RB2 players will still want to upgrade when the right DLC arrives and the online community shifts.

A niche user base of around 300,000 gamers that regularly buys DLC, doesn't seem to bad to me. Certainly enough to create a sustainable business model around. Harmonix has lost the casual crowd, but used the investment money took hook the more dedicated follower much more deeply.

Creating more musicians is where their heart's truly lie. It is only a matter of time before a break through new Artist credits their first steps to RB. This will create a neat circle when their music then become RB DLC. The game that just copies the music playing experience becomes the source of new music.

15th place from six days sales with short supply of Keyboard, Mustang, Midi adaptor and no Fender is not that bad.
So it outsold GH, so technically people were waiting for rb3

fernoca

Keep in mind that the 15th position was on the multi-console chart. Meaning that it was the combined sales of the 360, PS3, Wii, DS versions.

Compared to Rock Band 2 which sold 363,000+ only on Xbox 360 during September 2008 (plus 119k more during October for the 360 and 118k for the PS3 version which debuted that month)

Raistlin

PhoncipleBone said:
So it outsold GH, so technically people were waiting for rb3
That reminds me ... who was it that kept guaranteeing GH would outsell RB3?

Rewrite said:
Yep, they're combined platform sales. Being in the 15th spot means nothing.
I'm not sure I understand. Why does it mean nothing?

fernoca said:
Keep in mind that the 15th position was on the multi-console chart. Meaning that it was the combined sales of the 360, PS3, Wii, DS versions.

Compared to Rock Band 2 which sold 363,000+ only on Xbox 360 during September 2008 (plus 119k more during October for the 360 and 118k for the PS3 version which debuted that month)
Is it a huge number? No, of course not. Is it more than GH sold? Yes. Unless the GH number was one platform only.

fernoca

PhoncipleBone said:
Is it a huge number? No, of course not. Is it more than GH sold? Yes. Unless the GH number was one platform only.
GH was also combined; but was released one less less platform than RB3 (DS); but had more bundles (guitar and band).

Not knowing the numbers also brings the doubt about the ratio of the sales. For all we know, RB3 could've sold like 140,000 copies across the 4 platforms with 80,000 coming from the DS version (which I doubt in any case, but just saying :p).

Daigoro

mrklaw said:
At first I thought you'd mistyped ELO. Then I realised I want ELO for RB3

i was actually thinking about ELO as i was posting too. id take some stuff from them as well for sure.

ELP would be amazing though.

A short bit of digging for other FIRST MONTH Release numbers, all from GAF NPD threads.

GHIII - 1,145,000 (all plats)
RB - 382,000 (not sure which platforms, might only be 360 and PS3)
GHWT - 534,000 (all plats)
RB2 - 600,000 (360, PS3, LTD as of GHWT launch month)
GH5 - 499,000 (all plats)
Beatles - 595,000 (all plats)
GH6 - 86,000 (all plats, 3 days on
RB3 - 140,000 (all plats, 6 days on sale)

Edit. Changed RB3 estimate to actual, landed upper range of estimate.

At last the game was available for the 360 in Belgium.
I guess I can forget about the three doors songs?
Also, are the problems with the 360 export codes already fixed?

Oreoleo

Animation-Imp said:
At last the game was available for the 360 in Belgium.
I guess I can forget about the three doors songs?
Also, are the problems with the 360 export codes already fixed?
Yes and yes.

Thx,

I placed an order on the RB3 cymbal kit.
In europe these aren't available at the moment,
Gameshark will sell them, but won't ship outside the countries of the store (UK, Germany or France), so I had no other option than Amazon.

I am a bit worried about technical defaults, as I probably don't have any warranty on items shipped from the us.
Does anyone have the pro-cymbals or any knowledge on issues or hardware problems that are common?

I'm picking up Rb3 shortly, but I need new instruments- I'm still using the original RB1 drums and mic, and the original RB1 guitar as the bass. The guitar is kinda in sorry shape lately, missing notes etc. (it's gotten some fairly heavy use.)

should I puchase the beatles rockband bundle and then RB3, or just go straight for the Rb3 bundle?

I don't care about beatles rockband as a game- The beatles do nothing for me. However I understand the instruments are different in both bundles. Beatles Rockband is $119 via amazon, RB3 bundle is about $159. opinions?

parasight

Nick Laslett said:
A short bit of digging for other first month numbers, all from GAF NPD threads.

RB2 - 600,000 (all plats LTD as of GHWT launch month)
GH6 - 86,000 (all plats)
RB3 - ???? (somewhere between 100k and 150,000k)

Man that's not even a sloping decline of sales, it's an immediate sink. It's sad to see how quickly the genre has burnt out. There's simply no buzz from the casual audience, and it's clear they've moved on from the plastic instruments universe. Let's hope Dance Central does well for Harmonix.

levious said:
you don't care about keys?

not right now. Pro guitar later on down the line, but keys are kind of an afterthought for me. neither US bundle includes keyboards anyway.

edit: on PS3, probably should have clarified.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
you can get a rock band 2 guitar for pretty cheap. I wouldn't spend too much on a new guitar if you're gonna go pro at some point.

levious said:
you can get a rock band 2 guitar for pretty cheap. I wouldn't spend too much on a new guitar if you're gonna go pro at some point.

I have an RB2 guitar as my primary. the RB1 guitar is just for when I have a get together (this happens frequently) and someone wants to play bass. It's at the point where it needs to be replaced. I'm going to need two "regular" guitars for get togethers, since Pro guitar is going to be inaccessible to 99% of the people who show up.

The RB1 drums are still holding up, but I'd like to replace them also, since they don't support cymbals, are getting kind of worn, etc.

so, all things considered which bundle is superior? the Beatles Rockband Bundle? or the RB3?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
parasight said:
Man that's not even a sloping decline of sales, it's an immediate sink. It's sad to see how quickly the genre has burnt out. There's simply no buzz from the casual audience, and it's clear they've moved on from the plastic instruments universe. Let's hope Dance Central does well for Harmonix.

FFS. Those earlier titles will be lifetime, the other two (RB3 and GH6) have only been out a short while. Give them a chance before declaring death.

Nick Laslett said:
A short bit of digging for other first month numbers, all from GAF NPD threads.

RB2 - 600,000 (all plats LTD as of GHWT launch month)
GH6 - 86,000 (all plats)
RB3 - ???? (somewhere between 100k and 150,000k)

My takeaway from these numbers, if they're accurate (they're just so ... wow ...):

Beatles RB did amazingly well. I mean, it wasn't supposed to capture more than a certain percentage of the RB2 base and get a lot of "old people." Based on the 0.8% dip, it did that and more-so.

If the RB2/GHWT numbers are accurate, then the music game genre never really "exploded." Games like the EA annuals (Madden, Tiger, NBA, etc.), A-titles like LBP, Bayonetta, Fable, etc. sold more than a million lifetime and are good games. Not saying that the music games aren't good games, but to invest so much money on a series of games that never broke a million in sales, that's ... crazy

I mean Harmonix, I'm looking at you. The ION partnership, the new one with Fender, the Mad Catz one, etc. Volume or a significant markup will recoup your R&D losses, but I don't see it with what they've been doing.

Are you sure the LTDs for the mainstream series (RB, GH, etc.) aren't all missing an extra 0 somewhere?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Manmademan said:
I have an RB2 guitar as my primary. the RB1 guitar is just for when I have a get together (this happens frequently) and someone wants to play bass. It's at the point where it needs to be replaced. I'm going to need two "regular" guitars for get togethers, since Pro guitar is going to be inaccessible to 99% of the people who show up.

The RB1 drums are still holding up, but I'd like to replace them also, since they don't support cymbals, are getting kind of worn, etc.

so, all things considered which bundle is superior? the Beatles Rockband Bundle? or the RB3?

There is no RB3 bundle, so if you can find a cheap Beatles bundle that'll be the way to go.

Unless money is no object, of course. :lol

levious

Manmademan said:

the only bundle for RB3 is the keyboard one for 360/Wii. The new drum set is 130 by itself. I wouldn't spend 100 on the RB3 guitar myself.

levious

Terrordactyl said:
RB3 strats (blue and red ones) are only 60 bucks.

oh sorry, I saw something on amazon, gunmetal? Don't know what that is, maybe some special edition.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Terrordactyl said:
Are you shitting me, look what google found?!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6204616.html

None of those numbers are lifetime numbers, GHIII was by far the best selling guitar/rhythm games ever.

Good thing you don't have to, RB3 strats (blue and red ones) are only 60 bucks.

Yeah, but if he's looking to replace drums as well, the bundle gets him a guitar and drum kit for 100 dollars or so if you can find one.

levious said:
the only bundle for RB3 is the keyboard one for 360/Wii. The new drum set is 130 by itself. I wouldn't spend 100 on the RB3 guitar myself.

yeah, I misread the amazon listings. it was one of the older RB1/RB2 special edition bundles.

so yeah, I guess going beatles rockband is the way to go. The $129 (including shipping!) gets me the special edition bass guitar, the beatles edition drums, another mic (for harmonies, I guess- or maybe just a spare) and a copy of beatles RB.

Ohh beatles LE bundle all the way then, cheap and awesome build quality. And you get a mic stand. Goozex the game or something. That bass is probably the best plastic guitar ever, the neck is a bit long and takes some getting used to but it feels awesome, strum bar is superior to the RB2 strats, many will tell you its a reshelled RB2 strat, not true. FEEL THE STRUM BAR, it's superior you will see.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Anyone still having problems with the Lego RB export on 360?

I was able to get the code from the RB site and then enter it into the 360 dashboard to get the license key without any problems. However, when I boot up Lego RB and go to the music store for the export I always get an error from the dashboard pop up saying there are issues with the Live Marketplace. There are no problems with any other songs/packs from within the music store though so it looks to be export specific.

Terrordactyl said:
Ohh beatles LE bundle all the way then, cheap and awesome build quality. And you get a mic stand. Goozex the game or something. That bass is probably the best plastic guitar ever, the neck is a bit long and takes some getting used to but it feels awesome, strum bar is superior to the RB2 strats, many will tell you its a reshelled RB2 strat, not true. FEEL THE STRUM BAR, it's superior you will see.
And the buttons on the neck of the Beatles instruments are superior as well. No sticking or clicking, and quite quiet.

Hige

Got my Mustang today. :D I have next to no guitar experience, but it's super fun to play. Should be playing the trainers more to practice finger positions, but I want to throw myself into more songs! I'm impressed at the button sensitivity, I was worried it would be really awkward to press so many tiny buttons, but the sensitivity is quite nice.

KaYotiX

Banned
Hige said:
Got my Mustang today. :D I have next to no guitar experience, but it's super fun to play. Should be playing the trainers more to practice finger positions, but I want to throw myself into more songs! I'm impressed at the button sensitivity, I was worried it would be really awkward to press so many tiny buttons, but the sensitivity is quite nice.
Picking mine up tomorrow :D Can't wait!

Top Bottom