• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Yeef

BigBlackGamer said:
on regular expert drums disco beats like Everlong, Crazy Train etc. are charted on the red. You can't do that on Pro.
Bah, guess I misunderstood. I thought you were saying there was an option to do it on pro. I was never good at fast disco beats even on regular drums, but on Pro even the slow stuff that I had no problem with like The Hand That Feeds and Too Much Tim on My Hands were giving me trouble.

Varna

Looking to buy a new guitar controller. Any suggestions? Thinking of finally trying one of the GH ones... so many though.

Varna said:
Looking to buy a new guitar controller. Any suggestions? Thinking of finally trying one of the GH ones... so many though.
I would check Toys R Us to see if they have any more of the Beatles controllers left. They marked the guitars down to $30 a few weeks ago. You might get lucky, as they are great controllers.

Some people swear by the GH controllers, some prefer the RB ones. It is all personal preference though. I was a die hard GH controller person until the Beatles controllers. The perfect combination of quiet and responsiveness.

FerranMG

Guys, I'm thinking about getting this game for Crhistmas, but I've some questions.

I've read the reviews and they are all astounding, but I've also read about bugs, glitches, and other bad stuff.
Is there anything to really worry about?

I got Rock Band 2 a couple of weeks ago, for 10€.
I'm liking it so far, but I don't know if a 130€ purchase is justifiable right now just to get the keyboards.
Question is, does it really offer anything that superior to Rock Band 2?

And, about guitars: I have a GH:WT guitar which I love, but it's getting old.
I'd like to eventually get a guitar to play pro mode, but don't know if I should wait for the Squier, or maybe go for the Mustang right now.
If I decided to wait and the the Squier, maybe I should get a new "toy guitar". Are the ones from the Beatles the best ones?

Thanks! :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FerranMG said:
Guys, I'm thinking about getting this game for Crhistmas, but I've some questions.

I've read the reviews and they are all astounding, but I've also read about bugs, glitches, and other bad stuff.
Is there anything to really worry about?

I got Rock Band 2 a couple of weeks ago, for 10€.
I'm liking it so far, but I don't know if a 130€ purchase is justifiable right now just to get the keyboards.
Question is, does it really offer anything that superior to Rock Band 2?

And, about guitars: I have a GH:WT guitar which I love, but it's getting old.
I'd like to eventually get a guitar to play pro mode, but don't know if I should wait for the Squier, or maybe go for the Mustang right now.
If I decided to wait and the the Squier, maybe I should get a new "toy guitar". Are the ones from the Beatles the best ones?

Thanks! :)

I guess the consumer friendly response would be to wait for the price to drop, especially if it bombed everywhere.

Of course, that might also mean the peripherals are going to be rare, so you might not find them later on...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PhoncipleBone said:
Agreed. Like a whole other world. Same amount of notes to hit, but the added complexity is just incredible. Some stuff that I could just blast through on regular drums (Closer to the Heart, I am looking at you) take on a totally different difficulty with the added cymbals to keep track of.

I think they should have rearranged the lanes in drums pro mode, adding in cymbals separately. They have them tagged differently so no reason to keep them in the same lanes. bit like GHWT drums. Having them as the same colour, in the same lane, almost forces you to position the cymbals over the same coloured drum, otherwise your brain will explode. Having them separate would give you more flexibility in positioning IMO.

Ultimate option would be to move your set around, and then reassign lanes so they are lined up with your kit.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Varna said:
I'm in love with the GH:WT one. Everyone says the GH5 one is even better. Avoid the GH6 one like hell.
Apparently, GH guitars are better (because of their clicky strum bar) for alt-strumming.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dumb question: besides the awkwardness of yellow being already a cymbal, is it possible to upgrade the GHWT set to play Pro Drums?

Jocchan said:
Dumb question: besides the awkwardness of yellow being already a cymbal, is it possible to upgrade the GHWT set to play Pro Drums?

It does have a MIDI in for connecting other drum instruments, but I really doubt it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Maastricht said:
It does have a MIDI in for connecting other drum instruments, but I really doubt it.
Yeah, that's why I asked. I guess there's no cymbal set available.

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
not yet. you can follow it here and just click on 360, still says no codes. in the thread they made it seem like it'll be very soon but we'll see. i wanna sell that damn game already

http://www.rockband.com/lego-export

after I emailed complaining about it they emailed me back asking for a scan of the back of the manual were the code is.
haven't heard anything since though...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've always bought DLC songs straight from the PS Store, but is there any way to buy more than one song at the same time from the ingame store? I hate leaving stuff in my PSN wallet, so I usually buy 4-5 songs at a time so I can put the exact amount I need.

DryvBy

I'm still oblivious why they have not added one Misfits song in the game, but they managed to fit a whole lot of psuedo-punk bands in the series.

Is there a threat listing your bands name or anything yet?

Yeef

DryvBy2 said:
I'm still oblivious why they have not added one Misfits song in the game, but they managed to fit a whole lot of psuedo-punk bands in the series.
The Clash tops everything.

I'm still (as always) having tons of probs with alt-strumming. I've NEVER been able to do it properly, and as such have tons of probs with songs with fast note streams.

Anyone got any pointers?

DryvBy

Monkeylord said:
I'm still (as always) having tons of probs with alt-strumming. I've NEVER been able to do it properly, and as such have tons of probs with songs with fast note streams.

Anyone got any pointers?

Practice. Take a section of the song, and just keep going at it. Also, I learned how to play up/down strumming by playing really hard songs over and over. My issue was always overstrumming. Now I learned to pace my strumming while going fast.

Hige

Monkeylord said:

Anyone got any pointers?
It's definitely something that comes with practice, but remember to slow down your strumming. Alt-strumming doesn't have to be as rapid as single-direction strumming because there's less movement needed to register the next strum. Also, try counting the # of notes coming up. It helps to know whether you'll end on an up or downstrum for the common 3, 4, or 5 note patterns. Finally, challenge yourself to alt-strum every note in some easier songs to get a feel for the timing even when the song doesn't require it.

Oreoleo

Monkeylord said:

Anyone got any pointers?
Strum to the drums. And you have to grip the strummer while it's extended all the way to the top or bottom and strum through the middle, as opposed to strumming from the middle like you normally would with a single note. It feels awkward but will help keep time. Make sense?

Edit: I'm not even that good at alt strumming maybe someone else has better pointers too.

mrklaw said:
I think they should have rearranged the lanes in drums pro mode, adding in cymbals separately. They have them tagged differently so no reason to keep them in the same lanes. bit like GHWT drums. Having them as the same colour, in the same lane, almost forces you to position the cymbals over the same coloured drum, otherwise your brain will explode. Having them separate would give you more flexibility in positioning IMO.

Ultimate option would be to move your set around, and then reassign lanes so they are lined up with your kit.
The mapping to the same color and lane is probably how they were able to get the coding in there for the pro mode from the start. It also stops the highway from being too cluttered with gems and lanes. Your idea of rearranging the lanes would be awesome though, but will most likely not happen. That would be an insane level of customization though. :D My benefit with them keeping things in the same lanes is that I am not a drummer at all. In fact, I had no clue what was what until RB came out and started trying to learn more. Now after two and a half years of trying I can tell what is being in songs while listening and play along on expert with quite a bit of stuff, with the more ridiculous songs being played on hard.

Monkeylord said:

Anyone got any pointers
I am in the same boat. Alt strumming is this foreign concept to me. I get how it should work, but my brain just cant make my body do it. There are a few songs where I can instinctively make it work, like "Foreplay/Long Time" and a handfull of others. But I will be doing some of the repetition exercises many have posted in the thread to build that skill up.

Kibs

Since it's been impossible to find a Mustang (or even keys ...) i decided to finally blow some cash on 4 Roland Mesh Heads for my Ions ...

5 hours of fiddling later :
roland.jpg

Such a crazy difference compared to the rubber Ion heads ...

Kibs

bounchfx said:
and yet you still have the RB1 pedal?

wtf man.

wtf.

honestly surprised it hasn't broken on you yet hah.
Ion pedal is even worse than the RB1 one :( I do realize it's quite sad, but the shipping cost to get an omega or destroyer pedal to the EU is just insane. That pedal is as ghetto as it gets though, the only thing still holding it together is a lot of tape and 2 butter knives :lol

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
bounchfx said:
and yet you still have the RB1 pedal?

wtf man.

wtf.

honestly surprised it hasn't broken on you yet hah.

My pedal's technically an RB1 one. Pedal cracked so I got this $20 kit that's basically a block of wood in the exact same shape. Aside from me screwing up the reassembly a bit it's been perfect since then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Played a bunch with my kids today. They mostly like Road Challenge, which made me notice a strange dichotomy with the game.

Road Challenges are all about spades, so I found myself downgrading to medium, to make it easier to get the streaks and also have a better chance of getting 5 stars and 5 spades. But that isn't actually challenging me to get better, I'm just playing at a level I'm comfortable with. It almost discourages pushing yourself, as you don't want to screw up a song in the middle of a 12 song challenge.

But the career goals actively encourage you to explore different tiers. Doesn't matter if you screw up a song, just practice it over and over until you get better, then you can get the export goals.

but then the kids find the goals deadly dull. 'why do we have to do 12 songs at 3* medium dad?' Actually thats a good question.

So I think its a game of two parts. The goals are a great way to encourage experimentation - move up a difficulty in an instrument you're familiar with, or perhaps try an instrument you aren't familiar with. But I do still wish the Road Challenges were a little longer, as that will most likely be the meat of the game when I play with my kids.

distantmantra said:
We had a bunch of people over and did the whole 7-person band setup last night. Is there a technical reason why the vocals can't use a controller?
The xbox only recognizes 4 controller inputs. They could technically do it for the PS3, but that would require them actually putting some work into the PS3 version.

PhoncipleBone said:
I am in the same boat. Alt strumming is this foreign concept to me. I get how it should work, but my brain just cant make my body do it. There are a few songs where I can instinctively make it work, like "Foreplay/Long Time" and a handfull of others. But I will be doing some of the repetition exercises many have posted in the thread to build that skill up.

I remember for the original Guitar Hero I had gotten up to the end of either medium or hard and hit a wall when the serious alt-strumming came in.
I ended up starting all the way back at easy alt-strumming every single note. After that, it was no problem beating the setlist I was stuck on.

PhoncipleBone said:
The xbox only recognizes 4 controller inputs. They could technically do it for the PS3, but that would require them actually putting some work into the PS3 version.

In all fairness, at least the PS3 version is full HD, has a solid 60fps for the highway, and no issues to speak of (I haven't encountered any yet, though I'm only playing basic instruments so far). That's not to say it wouldn't have been nicer if they supported it, but me personally I would have much more preferred it if they had allowed every user to sign in under a separate account like you can do in LBP, so that they can get their own progress and trophies.

Maastricht said:
In all fairness, at least the PS3 version is full HD, has a solid 60fps for the highway, and no issues to speak of (I haven't encountered any yet, though I'm only playing basic instruments so far). That's not to say it wouldn't have been nicer if they supported it, but me personally I would have much more preferred it if they had allowed every user to sign in under a separate account like you can do in LBP, so that they can get their own progress and trophies.
You can sign in under multiple user accounts on Xbox, but you cannot on PS3? Lame. And it sucks in all instruments mode that you cannot get scored on vocals. Hell, you cannot even have a game of just instruments without turning the mode on. It is still only four players, so why must I turn on all instruments mode?

I do like that at least they have made it easy to switch instruments and take your sign on with you.

PhoncipleBone said:

Yep, we've got the PS3 version. That sucks. My wife was on lead vocals and she was (rightfully) frustrated that she couldn't use the controller to choose songs.

Varna

Jocchan said:
I'm in love with the GH:WT one. Everyone says the GH5 one is even better. Avoid the GH6 one like hell.
Apparently, GH guitars are better (because of their clicky strum bar) for alt-strumming.

How are the frets on those? Been wanting to switch over because lately I can't play very long on my strat 2. My hand starts to hurt after a bit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Varna said:
What makes them better?

I think that's like asking if the PS3 is better than the 360. :lol

I'll say as a casual player, I prefer the RB guitars because the necks are much thinner, the buttons are less clicky and the strum bar is not noisey.

Of course, those are the very qualities that most "score hero" people want in their guitars, so I think they prefer the GH guitars.

Varna said:
What makes them better?
There's more resistance. You have to push them in further. Sounds bad, but it means you know for sure when one is held in. There's also gaps between them, unlike the Strat, which means you won't accidentally be holding two down.

teekun

Varna said:

I really like the new Madcatz RB3 non-Pro one. Got one just for this game, as I had been using an old GH3 that I finally got sick of. The strum bar is completely silent, and the buttons are pretty quiet too, plus really easy to slide from note to note if you need to.

PhoncipleBone said:
Hell, you cannot even have a game of just instruments without turning the mode on. It is still only four players, so why must I turn on all instruments mode?

Trying to use Guitar, Bass, and Keyboard at the same time will force all instruments mode on. So in this case all instruments mode is required with just 3 players! Kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Shaneus

teekun said:
I really like the new Madcatz RB3 non-Pro one. Got one just for this game, as I had been using an old GH3 that I finally got sick of. The strum bar is completely silent, and the buttons are pretty quiet too, plus really easy to slide from note to note if you need to.
Is that just a 5-fret one? Does that have the non-clicky strum of the RB1 guitar? I love my Logitech GH one (strum is as perfect as it will ever get) but being big and made out of authentic materials means it's heavy as fuck :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shaneus said:
Is that just a 5-fret one? Does that have the non-clicky strum of the RB1 guitar? I love my Logitech GH one (strum is as perfect as it will ever get) but being big and made out of authentic materials means it's heavy as fuck :lol

It's nearly identical to the RB2 Strat, AFAIK.

Varna

butter_stick said:
There's more resistance. You have to push them in further. Sounds bad, but it means you know for sure when one is held in. There's also gaps between them, unlike the Strat, which means you won't accidentally be holding two down.

Can probably a score a GH5 guitar for less then 30... I will give it a shot.

butter_stick said:
That is a good benefit for some stuff, but sometimes the lack of larger spaces between the buttons makes HOPO stuff easier on a RB guitar. Chords are a lil easier on the RB one for me due to the buttons being slightly closer.

Both guitars have good points for them, and both have negatives. Really the best thing is for people to try both (current ones, not the GH III or old RB1 Strats) and decide from there. The problem is finding a place with each set up.

KaYotiX

Banned
butter_stick said:
Strats have garbage frets. GH5tar > all.

Blah blah blah, play with what you like. Ive been using the strat since RB1 and can gold star pretty much every song in RB1-3

Still dont understand the hate for the Strat.....

KaYotiX said:
Blah blah blah, play with what you like. Ive been using the strat since RB1 and can gold star pretty much every song in RB1-3

Still dont understand the hate for the Strat.....
RB1 strats were VERY hit or miss. Mine was a huge miss. The RB2 strats on have been very solid.

But like I, and you said, play with what you like. Different people value different things in the controllers.

Varna

I just want to try a GH controller because I've hit a giant wall in expert guitar. Main problem being alt-strumming.

Top Bottom