• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Since Gamestop has The Beatles: Rock Band Limited Edition Bundle at $99 on black friday weekend I was wondering if the Hofner Bass controller is any good and how are the Drums.

I once heard they were using Rock Band 1 drums in some Beatles bundles. Any one to answer has my thanks.

Ridley327

The LE bundle has the drums that are the same as what they use for the stock RB3 drums. Everyone agrees that they're the best stock drum kit for RB play.

Ridley327 said:
The LE bundle has the drums that are the same as what they use for the stock RB3 drums. Everyone agrees that they're the best stock drum kit for RB play.
And the Hofner bass is boss.

You even get a mic stand to boot!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ridley327 said:
That is correct; they're available in the in-game store.
Ah, cool. So there isn't a "pro Bon Jovi pack" to go along with a vanilla Bon Jovi pack?

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Since Gamestop has The Beatles: Rock Band Limited Edition Bundle at $99 on black friday weekend I was wondering if the Hofner Bass controller is any good and how are the Drums.

I once heard they were using Rock Band 1 drums in some Beatles bundles. Any one to answer has my thanks.

The ones with the RB1 drums are the "Special Value" edition bundles. I'm keeping my USB instruments on the off chance I'll play Frets on Fire again, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon.

The issue with the store is hilarious, because I had that the ENTIRE time I owned RB2. Now that I have RB3, nary a problem.

Also, I just unlocked the crazy backgrounds. I can see how they could be distracting, but my sister and I were none the worse for the wear.

jessecuster said:
Is anyone else having problems getting to the music store?

Mine keeps failing but I am having no internet problems.
Two days in a row... not been able to access it. Seems like a great way of losing money as a business.

Varna

Got my GH5 guitar finally... not sure how I feel about it. Been playing with the RB gear since day one and it's quiet a change. I like the better feedback on the frets but it is quiet tiring on my fingers since I do need more pressure to just hold them down. I can see the click on the strum bar being useful, but it's kind of distracting to me and other people playing (this one is easy to solve, turn up the volume!). I'm doing no worse at the very least and I am still adjusting.

Quick question in regards to pro-keys and legacy dlc updates...

Do newer song (if applicable) now come with pro-keys or is this a separate update?

I notice there is now a "upgrade" available for certain new song... is there any discount for just doing the update?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
The wife and I had to do it:

5194101061_d33d242b46_z.jpg

5194701152_c78a717e14_z.jpg

How fitting is that last song?

5194101551_913bdcb5a0_z.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mklD-H8TiIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXXiDLyy1L8

First, honestly, if you want to unlock half of the shit you need in the Career Goals, just do Endless Setlist. We had to actually leave the PS3 running for 18 hours or so because it took about 8 hours to do total. We started right when I got home on Saturday morning at 3:30 in the morning but the wife had to work early the next day so we went to bed at 7:45 AM. Continued where we left off when she got home at 1:00 AM on Sunday. Finished at 5:30... went through about 15 screens of "You've unlocked" blah, blah, blah.

Second, I'm pissed off that our icons don't change to gold. Unless you wear the hair, it's virtually impossible to tell who was actually brave enough to go through Endless Setlist. That makes me sad because I wore that as a badge of honor in RB2.

Third, I really can't wait until the damned Fender guitar comes out. Seriously... I need to do the Pro guitar and bass stuff with a real instrument and not that Mustang rip off. It's imperative to my well being as a human being! :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hang on - is that a one-off thing or is it possible that the DLC tracks had licenses on that will expire unless renewed? Something perhaps unlikely to happen without money behind it and considering Harmonix's current situation...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I also finished the Endless Setlist III on Friday night on guitar. That shit took a long time and it was very painful as most of the Rock Band 3 setlist isn't fun on guitar. I also thought you'd get the icon (silver, gold) like in Rock Band 2, but you don't which is VERY disappointing. All you get is some worthless clothes accesory for all that effort. :/

mrklaw said:
hang on - is that a one-off thing or is it possible that the DLC tracks had licenses on that will expire unless renewed? Something perhaps unlikely to happen without money behind it and considering Harmonix's current situation...
I wouldn't be surprised if they remove all DLC once the next generation of consoles are being released. That's a few years away, but still... If there is something I don't expect to be transfered over to the next gen consoles, it's RB DLC.

AndyMoogle said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they remove all DLC once the next generation of consoles are being released. That's a few years away, but still... If there is something I don't expect to be transfered over to the next gen consoles, it's RB DLC.

God, I hope not. That'd counter all their talk of a "platform." If DLC (including exports) transfer over, then I'm definitely going to continue to the next gen of consoles and RB4. If not... well, RB3 is good enough for me anyhow.

Rock Band related... I found myself seriously considering doing the Rock Band 2 BoS achievement yesterday. I barely get 6 hours for gaming a week lately so I have no idea why I was even thinking about doing that. :lol

turnbuckle

AndyMoogle said:

This is precisely why I decided against getting RB3. I've spent over $500 on DLC with RB2 and then something clicked in my brain that I wouldn't be able to transfer these songs in the future. RB3 isn't affected, but I'm not throwing another dollar towards the "platform" until there are some assurances about next gen...and considering the state of affairs Harmonix is in, I'm not sure I want to be putting money into a potentially dying product. And if artists are having songs pulled already...

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Rewrite said:
I also finished the Endless Setlist III on Friday night on guitar. That shit took a long time and it was very painful as most of the Rock Band 3 setlist isn't fun on guitar. I also thought you'd get the icon (silver, gold) like in Rock Band 2, but you don't which is VERY disappointing. All you get is some worthless clothes accesory for all that effort. :/
Yeah. That pissed me off. I don't want to wear the hair because I like my character's outfit. Ugh.

Hige

RotBot said:
The MIDI Pro adapters on Amazon got pushed back to 12/26. Is this a global delay, or just Amazon?
Ugh, I pre-ordered 2 adapters for 360 back on October 9th when I saw the price was $10 cheaper than the MSRP. I saw yesterday that the date was moved to December, but my order still said it would deliver in November. I figured maybe they were just putting a delayed date for any new orders that are coming in, like they did with the Mustang. But I just checked my order and now the delivery estimate is December. :|

I've been waiting this long to play pro drums with my e-drums, no way I'm about to shell out money for cymbals or a new RB kit. My RB2 drums are starting to drop notes lately. :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have a really dumb question.

If I buy the keyboard only from Europe, will it work on my US system and US game?

I've never heard of peripheral region lock, but you never know...

Edit: I'm aware that the game is Region Free, but DLC is per region. I'm talking about the keyboard ONLY.

Edit2: It's also cheaper for me to import from Europe than from US. The keyboard at least.

RotBot said:
The MIDI Pro adapters on Amazon got pushed back to 12/26. Is this a global delay, or just Amazon?

I got mine from Gameshark.com about 1 week ago, so it seems they're instock there at least (PS3 version).

It works even better than I imagined. I thought it might introduce additional lag into my system, but that's not the case at all. I kept the same calibration and it's dead on.

Now, my only complaint: When using pro drums (and therefore a real drum kit), you can't hold down the foot pedal to scroll through categories while browsing your music. You can hit it to skip around, but that's it. Not the end of the world, but it's nice to have browsing options when you're pushing the 1000 song mark.

If I buy the keyboard only from Europe, will it work on my US system and US game?

should work no problem. On PS3 at least. Don't know that much about Microsoft's whacky hardware locks.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
drmcclin said:
should work no problem. On PS3 at least. Don't know that much about Microsoft's whacky hardware locks.
Yes, to clear up things a bit, I'm talking about the 360 versions.

firehawk12 said:
I think I've read about Europeans importing, so it'll probably be fine. I'm not too sure though.
Yeah, but they import the bundle (US game and keyboard on an EURO system). I'm talking about EURO Keyboard on US game and system.

I'm not worried it wouldn't work with the console - it has to, since the game is Region Free. I'm worried about the game not identifying the keyboard (maybe it has a different identifier? I don't know)

drmcclin said:
Now, my only complaint: When using pro drums (and therefore a real drum kit), you can't hold down the foot pedal to scroll through categories while browsing your music. You can hit it to skip around, but that's it. Not the end of the world, but it's nice to have browsing options when you're pushing the 1000 song mark.
Same thing happens with the stock RB drums if you use a splitter on the pedal. I bought a splitter over a year ago and cannot do the "hold to sort" thing anymore unless I dont use the splitter.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm PS3, not 360, but my UK keyboard and UK pro guitar are both working fine with US software on a JPN console.

Only negative is that it doesn't realise that O is select and X is back - its hard coded the other way around. Just another example of lazy coding.

jgkspsx

Picked up most of Imagine. Not quite enough of a fan to want to play 6+ minutes of "...Soldier...", or for that matter 2 minutes of "Oh Yoko!" But Crippled Inside? That's a top-grade track there. Also picked up the pro guitar upgrade for How Do You Sleep?, since I'm going to get a Mustang one of these days...

Also, Phantom Limb by Shins on RBN!!! One of my highest-tier requests, finally realized. Shame it's not a regular release, though.

Oh, and my Amazon.com deal Rickenbacker came. That's one hell of a plastic guitar. I've given up on getting a Gretsch.

KaYotiX

Banned
got my mustang pro guitar and damn its gonna be fun trying to learn pro guitar. Its like starting all over again :D

Also, im not worried about the next "platform" RB3 is all i need or want and if the DLC doesnt carry over it wont bother me. I dont see a new console incoming for at least 2-3 years. Ill continue to buy and enjoy all DLC for RB3. LOVE LOVE LOVE the damn game!!!

#1 I know for the new DLC you need to have Rock Band 3 to play. (Haven't upgraded yet, still using RB2.) But am I safe to purchase older DLC and play it on my Rock Band 2 disc? Looking at the Nirvana packs which are on sale.

#2 Did they really take out the crowd singing along to songs in Rock Band 3? That was one of my favorite things about the series and I don't know why they would get rid of that.

jgkspsx

Repairman_Jack7 said:
#1 I know for the new DLC you need to have Rock Band 3 to play. (Haven't upgraded yet, still using RB2.) But am I safe to purchase older DLC and play it on my Rock Band 2 disc? Looking at the Nirvana packs which are on sale.
As far as I know. I'm quite certain.

#2 Did they really take out the crowd singing along to songs in Rock Band 3? That was one of my favorite things about the series and I don't know why they would get rid of that.
If you mean the crowd in the game, there are definitely songs that have it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
*finally* got my lego rockband export code. But a kindly gaffer had already supplied me one so its going spare.

PS3 US version, code is 3M46-B9BF-7L8B

jgkspsx

Heads up: big discounts on some DLC on 360 now through Friday:

Nirvana pack 1: 640 allards
Nirvana pack 2: 240 allards
Lady Gaga pack: 280 allards
Creedence pack: 400 allards holy crap (Friday only)

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
jgkspsx said:

Day-um. Hope it works on the website, I already grabbed Grapevine but I'll double-dip at that rate.

DJ_Tet

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Heads up: big discounts on some DLC on 360 now through Friday:

Nirvana pack 1: 640 allards
Nirvana pack 2: 240 allards
Lady Gaga pack: 280 allards

Thanks for the heads-up. I grabbed the two Nirvana packs last night. Almost grabbed the Gaga pack but held up, glad I did now!

Also, is there a dedicated Rock Band DLC thread? I couldn't find it through 'search.' I want to bookmark the threads where the Rock Band DLC sales are announced, where do I go?

edit: 12 songs for 400 pts? Damn, that's like a Steam sale. If Harmonix goes down they are gonna go down right I guess.

edit2: vvvvv thanks!

WTF is up with the store? I've not been able to get into it for the last week. Admittedly I've only been trying a couple of times a day but I just can't get it to work any more.

Top Bottom