• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
KaYotiX said:
if you bought RB3 to actually play the ON Disc songs and then complain about it your doing it wrong. :D
Sorry, but this is stupid. Why wouldn't I buy Rock Band 3 for the on disc songs along with the updated stuff? This is the stupidest shit I've ever read on GAF.

Rewrite said:
Sorry, but this is stupid. Why wouldn't I buy Rock Band 3 for the on disc songs along with the updated stuff? This is the stupidest shit I've ever read on GAF.
Harmonix are a perfect company that does no wrong.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
butter_stick said:
Harmonix are a perfect company that does no wrong.
I should be dancin'!
DvWSQ.gif

But yeah, Harmonix are gods, can do nothing wrong, can't look forward to a great on disc setlist, etc.

And they're here!

I had to rder them in the USA, 'cause the stand-alone set isn't available in Europe.
Even worse, none of the instruments are available in my country.

BigBlackGamer said:
Pro Drums is totally GOTY 2010. :D
Until I get a pro guitar controller, I cannot argue this.
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Pro drums just made drumming 1000 times better.

As for the hate for the on disc setlist, I dont get it really. The 90s and 00s stuff for the most part, but the 60s-80s stuff is almost all solid gold to me. Of course, I am also going between all the instruments, so most songs have something really fun to offer.

Pro drums is perfect. It's the most well implemented thing in the game, shitty RBN tracks excluded.

The setlist is just a total bore though. Stuff like Power Of Love, Low Rider, Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before, they're just songs I can never imagine going back to. The ones I like enough to replay are the minority.

butter_stick said:
Pro drums is perfect. It's the most well implemented thing in the game, shitty RBN tracks excluded.

The setlist is just a total bore though. Stuff like Power Of Love, Low Rider, Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before, they're just songs I can never imagine going back to. The ones I like enough to replay are the minority.

Those are great party songs.

The Skynyrd tracks sound awesome, but the quality on the Bad Company song this week is very poor. The guitar sounds like it is going through a blanket or something.

bounchfx

so I'm not playing this game nearly as often as I imagined. I got halfway through expert keys and said "wait.. why am I doing this?"

so for the past two weeks I have been learning piano.

I don't know why this is happening with RB3 and never with GH/RB before, but I'm assuming it's because I knew guitar before playing guitar hero, and that was more about hitting buttons. since I have such an interest in actual keyboard though, I just felt like I was wasting time when I could be learning the real thing for once. oh no! what have I become!

I totally want to go back and do more pro drums though. I need to get another cymbal set since the first one was absolute garbage.

Sadly, the thing that is holding me back from playing this more is the knowledge that it might all end soon with Harmonix. I should be playing more and enjoying it while it lasts, but the knowledge that the DLC could just up and die instantly fills me with enough sadness that I dont play as much.

That and the fact that we had the in laws here for a week and it is now prime retail season so work is more tiring than usual.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bounchfx said:
so I'm not playing this game nearly as often as I imagined. I got halfway through expert keys and said "wait.. why am I doing this?"

so for the past two weeks I have been learning piano.

I don't know why this is happening with RB3 and never with GH/RB before, but I'm assuming it's because I knew guitar before playing guitar hero, and that was more about hitting buttons. since I have such an interest in actual keyboard though, I just felt like I was wasting time when I could be learning the real thing for once. oh no! what have I become!

I totally want to go back and do more pro drums though. I need to get another cymbal set since the first one was absolute garbage.

I think part of it is that pro keys doesn't feel like you're learning anything transferrable. Sure, you can play that song in RB3, and you could turn to a real piano and play the right hand part (with some relearning for octave shifts) but you can't then read music to learn anything new, and you can't use your left hand.

Pro guitar at least uses tab-like (esp. with the chord naming) notation so you could probably learn new things on guitar.

I've enjoyed using the RB3 keyboard with a MIDI-USB adapter on garageband piano lessons, will probably try my wife's electric piano with it as then I can properly use the left hand too.

I almost regret the pro keys - it didn't get my wife to play as the falling notes were too different to what she is used to. But its fun for normal keys.

To be fair though, you could get years of use just out of learning the on-disc songs on pro guitar expert. Plenty of value on the disc, nevermind pro-supporting DLC coming

In general, pro mode is a pretty terrible learning tool. The songs I've managed to learn to play on keys or guitar, I have no musical theory behind it, just an idea where I should be on the instrument. It's why I can't help but roll my eyes at the reviews that specifically target the game's ability to team you an instrument as justification for their high scores.

butter_stick said:
In general, pro mode is a pretty terrible learning tool. The songs I've managed to learn to play on keys or guitar, I have no musical theory behind it, just an idea where I should be on the instrument. It's why I can't help but roll my eyes at the reviews that specifically target the game's ability to team you an instrument as justification for their high scores.

Well as a drummer I can say it teaches you some drumtechnique...
Although most players tend to play too cramped and whithout a good flow in their movement.
It does teach you rolls and basic drum rythms,
and is great at teaching you to use your arms and legs seperately.

Zachack

butter_stick said:
Assuming the Squier ever comes out, that'll be where the pro guitar starts to pay off, if only for helping you learn how to hold chords and the locations of similar chords elsewhere on the fretboard. And presumably to provide experience in shifting between chords and individual strings.

Part of playing guitar is understanding theory (and you can learn a little simply from playing songs, although you may not know the terms) and part of playing guitar is developing finger dexterity. I just really wish RB3 would let me read the Pro tabs while the accompanying parts play without having to own a pro device; I already have guitars and want to play along for practice.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Lone_Prodigy said:
Has anyone bought an adapter? Where can they be found?

yeah, gameshark.com like drmcclin said above, wii and PS3 are in stock, not 360 though.

Just turned on my PS3 copy and browsed through the quickplay setlist.

all rockband 3 tracks are visible, as are the two RBN tracks I downloaded. However all NON RBN DLC is totally absent- and there was quite a bit of it.

I'm downloading the export key now, do I need to wait for that to finish? Or do I need to redownload all of those DLC tracks?

SuperPac

I picked up the Rickenbacker guitar during Amazon's lightning deal on it - got it today and, the first song I played, it would automatically activate star power when it was halfway full. I didn't tilt the guitar neck up or anything. Continued to do that throughout the first song. I turned off the controller and turned it back on, and during the second song, it wouldn't activate overdrive no matter what angle I tilted it. If I shook the guitar I could get it to trigger but then I'd usually miss notes.

Did I get a bum guitar or is there something I should do?

Mileena

Banned
Rewrite said:
HMX cocksuckers on WoR's setlist: lol what a terrible setlist GH sux so much!!!
HMX cocksuckers on RB3's terrible setlist: lol setlist doesn't matter ur doin it wrong!!!

Gotta love tards.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
butter_stick said:

pro guitar has musical theory behind it. With chord numbering on its pretty damn close to tab notation. If you only ever used RB3 to learn, then yes you're learning by rote and so won't necessarily understand the relationships between notes and chords etc, but you should still be able to not only play a RB3 song on a real guitar, but you should be able to play a new song on guitar by reading the tab notation.

If you're getting that deep into it by then you should probably also look at lessons. A cheap MIDI-USB cable and you can use your computer as an amp, and play along to online lessons/videos or just books.

mrklaw said:
pro guitar has musical theory behind it. With chord numbering on its pretty damn close to tab notation. If you only ever used RB3 to learn, then yes you're learning by rote and so won't necessarily understand the relationships between notes and chords etc, but you should still be able to not only play a RB3 song on a real guitar, but you should be able to play a new song on guitar by reading the tab notation.

If you're getting that deep into it by then you should probably also look at lessons. A cheap MIDI-USB cable and you can use your computer as an amp, and play along to online lessons/videos or just books.

It's more that the "learn an instrument" stuff is pretty much a bust. Obviously if you play a song in pro mode in Rb3, you're playing the song. But as a piece of educational software, it feels like there's much more they could do.

Varna

OKAY.

It's official. All the Rock Band guitar controllers are garbage.

Just got five stars on Walk of Life... holy shit I could not believe it when I saw that I was holding on to the x4 multiplier (Only lost combo when I started looking at it). Could not even beat this fucken song on the start 2. I've been wrong all these years!

Chris R

The RB2 guitar isn't that bad. Great buttons, strum bar doesn't click (even if it is mushy) what else could you ask for? Ideally I'd take a RB2 guitar with a non-clicking GH5 guitar strum bar, but whatever.

Varna

rhfb said:
The RB2 guitar isn't that bad. Great buttons, strum bar doesn't click (even if it is mushy) what else could you ask for? Ideally I'd take a RB2 guitar with a non-clicking GH5 guitar strum bar, but whatever.

Been using nothing but RB equipment since the game first came out (never played much guitar hero before that). Took some getting use to, but the GH5 guitar controller made it so much easier to do almost everything (I still have to get use to not hearing the click in slower ho/po heavy songs). I could never do heavy alt-strum songs like Walk of Life on the start 2.

Daigoro

my main gripe about this great game (not including the mostly shitty on disc track list) is the fucking atrocious mixing issues and obnoxious backround noises that you cant adjust.

does anyone else notice how certain unused instruments are completely muffled? wtf is up with that?

also the horrible sound effect which cannot be adjusted. we were playing a quiet song the other night and the WHOOOOSH of the star power sound effect came crashing in over and over. it was fucked up.

im assuming that this isnt the set up we play on because when we play TBRB thing sound mostly great.

not sure what went wrong here, but it is pretty poor on HMX's part. too bad.

pro drums and great DLC do help make up for really poor mixing though. gotta say.

corkscrewblow said:
HMX cocksuckers on RB3's terrible setlist: lol setlist doesn't matter ur doin it wrong!!!

Gotta love tards.

oh please do shut up. moron.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Varna said:
OKAY.

It's official. All the Rock Band guitar controllers are garbage.

Just got five stars on Walk of Life... holy shit I could not believe it when I saw that I was holding on to the x4 multiplier (Only lost combo when I started looking at it). Could not even beat this fucken song on the start 2. I've been wrong all these years!
:D You have finally seen the light! Welcome to finally destroying your old scores that you got with your shitty Strats! I told you that you'd get better!

Daigoro said:
my main gripe about this great game (not including the mostly shitty on disc track list) is the fucking atrocious mixing issues
Mixing issues are a problem. Like I said previously, the songs themselves sound great, but they are terrible for feedback when you are playing. There's some songs when you're playing bass that you can't hear the bass track. It's like, what the fuck is the point in acquiring the masters if they're not going to boost the parts of the instrument that you're playing. (This is mostly for they keyboard and bass. Guitar and drums don't have these problems) There's a lot of songs where you're playing bass or keyboard and you can't hear anything you are playing because the rest of the instruments overpower it. What I do is mess around with the sound settings in the options menu thing and lower down the bars of the other instruments and keep full bar of the current instrument you're playing. You get better feedback that way and it works for the best, IMO.

Daigoro

how could things have gone so horribly wrong? The Beatles sounded amazing.

i wonder if people are complaining about this on the official forums? i assume it must have been mentioned.

hope we can get a patch or something. its pretty terrible.

tmarques

Possibly stupid question - is there any way to calibrate instruments individually? I may be imagining things, but it feels like the drums have greater lag than the other instruments. Very annoying.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
corkscrewblow said:

Gotta love tards.
The setlist in WoR had some nice songs btw. I had to sell it to get rid of the awful guitar, but I kept the download code (just in case :p) and might pick it up again later down the line for cheap.
The choreography for Bohemian Rhapsody was also awesome. Funny and playful, much better than the plain and boring one in RB3.

tmarques said:
Possibly stupid question - is there any way to calibrate instruments individually? I may be imagining things, but it feels like the drums have greater lag than the other instruments. Very annoying.

Hmm hard to believe,
the calibration adjusts the game on video and audio lag,
I don't think input-lag is even considered.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
tmarques said:
If you have the GH:WT drums, there's a PC utility to calibrate it. No clue about RB drums.

Raistlin

Animation-Imp said:
Hmm hard to believe,
the calibration adjusts the game on video and audio lag,
I don't think input-lag is even considered.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the input lag is in the user here :p

Top Bottom