• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
That's a big-ass update. Looking forward to getting it Summer '16 #EUPeaSaNt

Oh shit, no setlists mentioned. HMX pls.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Decent update but they still need to fix the quick play song select screen sorting optionsand get rb3's practice mode back (esspecially the vocal practice mode with tones)

It's Comforting to see that they are planning to add things back from previous rock bands and future updates so maybe my issues will get addressed.

Still no word on when to expect the exports? (Outside of the RB3 one)

:(

Yeah, not exactly surprised that it wasn't brought up, but I sure was hoping for it. Feature updates are fantastic and much appreciated but for my part I'd much rather know about export plans (and of course when DLC I've paid for will become available). My local group and myself, for the most part, would rather have access to my whole library than any new features-- most of it wouldn't even be used by anyone I play with (except auto drum kicks for the casual party players).

Not demanding it or whining or anything, but they are really pushing how transparent they're trying to be, and insight into this stuff would be much better than anxiously waiting in the dark.

Deadstar

That's a big-ass update. Looking forward to getting it Summer '16 #EUPeaSaNt

Oh shit, no setlists mentioned. HMX pls.

I don't understand how you launch a rock band game without the setlist feature. Sometimes I want to play random songs in the new mode they put in but more often than not, I want to pick EXACTLY what I'm in the mood for playing and so do my friends. We used to all pick two songs each then play a set list and this is totally missing.

It's very obvious that Harmonix had far less money to create this game than previous games but it's still sad that these features got cut or removed. How do you make a new game, that's an iteration, that has less features? I guess I answered my own question, budget.

Also kind of diappointed with the dlc so far. I thought they'd come right out the gate with some heavy hitters but so far there's nothing for me. Let's get Mer De Noms on here and some more Rammstein! I'd love a full Rammstein album.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how you launch a rock band game without the setlist feature. Sometimes I want to play random songs in the new mode they put in but more often than not, I want to pick EXACTLY what I'm in the mood for playing and so do my friends. We used to all pick two songs each then play a set list and this is totally missing.

It's very obvious that Harmonix had far less money to create this game than previous games but it's still sad that these features got cut or removed. How do you make a new game, that's an iteration, that has less features? I guess I answered my own question, budget.

Also kind of diappointed with the dlc so far. I thought they'd come right out the gate with some heavy hitters but so far there's nothing for me. Let's get Mer De Noms on here and some more Rammstein! I'd love a full Rammstein album.
I get what they where going for with the show feature, and it really can be fun in multiplayer sessions. But I simply can't get behind the idea that such a simple - and for a game of this kind essential feature - as setlist creation would have been cut because they were solely counting on the shows to replace them. Had to be budget, so I hope it's one of the first features to return.
Now online multiplayer, that is expensive, and I can totally see them implementing it in a paid update.

DLC I think will always be up to personal preferences. Aerosmith or that recent pop package sure are heavy hitters, but do I care about them?
yes

It's very obvious that Harmonix had far less money to create this game than previous games but it's still sad that these features got cut or removed. How do you make a new game, that's an iteration, that has less fracture's? I guess I answered my own question, budget.

Well obviously they don't have as much money as before. They don't have EA and MTV publishing anymore.

At first I was deeply unhappy with the update notes, but then I realized it was me being unreasonable because I'm still very upset about keys and pro guitar getting the boot and I realized I'm pretty happy with the update.

In-game notifications of leaderboard events: Find out at the moment you pass a friend’s score with an all-new in-song indicator
Awesome stuff! Knowing I kicked my friends' butts while playing the song would give me more drive to do better.

Activity feed: This is a main menu log of your leaderboard events and that also allows you to quickly jump to a track to regain your dominance.
Ehhhhhh, not very important to me. Can't really seeing myself using this. I just want to know how I compare to my friends and leaderboards and the insong notifications are just that.

Taunt system from the results screen: Let your friends know you beat their score by sending them a selectable randomized Taunt message. This taunt will appear in his or her Activity Feed.
I feel like I'll use it once and that's it. Or every time I beat Lowlander's scores in vocals. I'm consistently in Top 15ish in the world when I sing but he's always in Top 5 and his reign of terror must end at my hands.

Improved Calibration – thanks to your feedback, we’ve implemented some significant improvements. PLEASE NOTE that these changes require you to recalibrate.
Non issue for me. Calibration was just fine through HDMI with 0 lag.

Variable Breakneck Speed – One of the most requested features from the hardcore competitive community, Variable Breakneck Speed will allow players to individually set the Breakneck Speed of their tracks for the first time in a Rock Band title – up to 2.5X this time!
Non issue for me, but I've had a few people ask about it in parties. Neat, but I'd much prefer literally anything else.

Full Combo Recognition & Indicator – The “Full Combo” (a perfect streak, no notes missed or additional strums/hits from start to finish) is one of the competitive player’s greatest achievements. Rock Band games haven’t kept track of this impressive feat in the past, and that all changes with this update. The game will now celebrate and track your FC success, and a subtle new in-song indicator will allow you to know if you’re still on track for an FC or if you’ve broken your streak. We also now indicate FC runs on the leaderboards.
AWESOME update. Always liked the Gold Star system but I also kind of liked the Guitar Hero system of giving you another star if you hit all of the notes (but you could still overstrum and stuff). Seems like the best of both. Also showing them ni leaderboards is awesome and I LOVE the fact that there'll be an in song indicator of FC success.

More Song Results details – leaderboard info, plus detailed gameplay statistics will now be shown on the song results screen.
Good stuff. I'm not like foaming through the mouth for it, but it's welcome.

Player Stats – Want to know where you stack against your friends online? Access this new Player Stats screen from anywhere in the game to get a detailed overview of your complete Rock Band gameplay statistics, including cumulative scores, stars, and more.
Ehhhh. I like the thought of this, but I'd much rather have dedicated song stat screens for each song. I want to press a button and see how many stars I got for each instrument for each difficulty for the song I selected. I know they're not necessarily equatable or anything like that, but to me that's priority number 2, with keys/pro guitar/bass being priority number 1 with flaming letters.

New Items in the Rock Shop – we’ve got a handful of new assets in the Rock Shop, including one that celebrates a recent (and very awesome) game launch from a studio that we love.
Neat, but literally near the bottom of my most desired updates for Rock Band 4.

Auto-kick mode – One of the most requested Accessibility features, this toggle will allow you to play drum parts by hitting the drum pads only while we automatically hit kick drum notes. This will be available as a toggle in the Options menu.
AWESOME AWESOME!
Auto kick has been sorely needed forever, and I'm glad it's here. I won't use it, but it benefits SO many people that I'm glad it's back.

Packs and Albums in the XB1 in-game store are back in the store and contain content.
Hopefully this means some of the DLC that I can't redownload will be downloadable again, like the Bon Jovi Greatest Hits

Fix to prevent hitches for PlayStation 4 players with 2000 Friends.
Doesn't affect me.

Leaderboards no longer mix player scores and percentages from different performances and instead show only the info for the single performance with the highest score.
To me this is the most interesting aspect of the whole bunch. What does this mean? Does this mean that the Quickplay screen will show only the scores for the instrument I'm playing instead of the overall best score? So if I play a song for the first time on guitar and then switch to vocals, will there be no score there like in old games? Or will there be the guitar score when I'm about to sing it?

This is INCREDIBLY important for me to clarify because this is one of the things that bothers me most about Rock Band 4. I play on every instrument and I want to play on every song on every instrument on every difficulty, and there is no way that Rock Band 4 makes this information easy for me to get, whereas in Rock Band 3 the information was so clear and accessible. I tweeted at them to clarify already and hope they will respond.

Game no longer crashes when the vocalist joins a song that doesn’t have a vocal part.
Band History stats now list the correct total number of Rock Shop items.
Improvements to microphone lag.
Improvements to tambourine hit sensitivity.
Adjustments to track transparency.
Doesn't affect me.

Looking forward to the surprises and the transparency is well appreciated. I hope through fixes that Rock Band 4 can grow into a much better game because I feel absolutely awful about me feeling that it's easily the worst Rock Band game. I want it to do better!

Still no bass boost yet? Fuck! Don't like the idea of having to recalibrate again, I got my numbers just right not too long ago.

At least post-song stats are coming back!

bobohoro

That sounds somewhat decent, might just take a look at it again come December.
Still, no setlist/filter-options are a real bummer.

zulux21

Omg auto drum kick. I've been begging for this sunce before launch so that my little brother can play with me.

im so happy for this. I work a very physical job where when I come home my legs just aren't good for the drum kick, my arms are usually fine though so it will be great to play.

plus I enjoy playing more punkish songs but the marathon of base peddle is a pain :p

sad that the rate how likely a song will show up didn't make it in though.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
We’ve still got a few surprises in store, including a new gameplay mode that we’re really psyched about. We’ll be telling you about it as we get closer to December 8th.
Could be setlists are still coming with this update. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Gaaraz

I have the DTX500 and it works just fine, great even.
Hmm, I can't find the DTX500 in the UK, and apparently the DTX400 doesn't have proper midi out (only via a USB adapter which according to the official forums can cause a lot of problems). The Alesis DM7x now is tempting but I can't find the additional bass pedal in the UK... argh!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I can't find the DTX500 in the UK, and apparently the DTX400 doesn't have proper midi out (only via a USB adapter which according to the official forums can cause a lot of problems). The Alesis DM7x now is tempting but I can't find the additional bass pedal in the UK... argh!
I'm not from the UK so I can't really help you there, but the DTX500 has been discontinued I think, with the 502 being its successor (found this shop that seems like it has the 540k - the one I have - in stock). Didn't know that the 400 doesn't have built in MIDI, I can see that being problematic. Just note that you'll take quite the hit in quality going from Yamaha to Alesis. Depends on what you wanna do with your kit though, I'm sure it's more than enough for playing Rock Band :)
If you're willing to stretch your budget, maybe look into some Roland TD15 kits.

Here's the latest update on the DLC situation.

The gist of it is that they really haven't fixed anything since October, although they are working on it still. The DOA for SCEE DLC to start popping up again is sometime in December, while SCEA and Xbox still have deeper issues to be resolved with the remaining missing content.

They're promising weekly updates on the DLC situation from here on out, though.

Kolma

The gist of it is that they really haven't fixed anything since October, although they are working on it still. The DOA for SCEE DLC to start popping up again is sometime in December, while SCEA and Xbox still have deeper issues to be resolved with the remaining missing content.

WOO!

Really wonder if they will add support for the RB1, Europe export pack.(especially in NA)

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member

Clicking that link awaiting news on the SCEE situation
igmyxr4uzi.gif

I hope "early december" means they're targeting before the update.

Whoop whoop

That's literally exactly what I was hoping they'd do.

Gaaraz

I'm not from the UK so I can't really help you there, but the DTX500 has been discontinued I think, with the 502 being its successor (found this shop that seems like it has the 540k - the one I have - in stock). Didn't know that the 400 doesn't have built in MIDI, I can see that being problematic. Just note that you'll take quite the hit in quality going from Yamaha to Alesis. Depends on what you wanna do with your kit though, I'm sure it's more than enough for playing Rock Band :)
If you're willing to stretch your budget, maybe look into some Roland TD15 kits.
Thank you very much for the advice, to be honest I'm worried this could turn out to be a bit of a flash in the pan for me so I'm tempted to just stick with the cheaper options... the 540K is 3x the price of the kits I was looking at, and the TD15 looks fantastic but it's even more money again.

More of a general question - how terrible an idea would it be to buy the DTX400 (the one without midi out) and just play along with the drums in no lose mode? i.e. don't hook it up to the console. I'm not fussed at all on scores or achievements.

Memles

So I held off until I could order this from Best Buy with GCU (waiting on the XBox One w/ Adapter bundle). So I knew it was bare bones, I really did.

But some of the design decisions are just baffling. The lack of setlists in Quick Play basically makes it impossible to play the game as I typically used to: choosing specific songs I want to sing (vocals being my main jam) is now a one-by-one process. The Career mode can occasionally replicate this, but even then the "Choice" playlist options are all JUST from the On-Disc songs, and that is some slim pickings as a vocalist (in that if there's two of such playlists in one tour, I'll end up having to repeat songs I know).

I like the Tour structure in Career otherwise. Adding encores is fun! There are little flourishes here and there that impress, but I just find it so flabbergasting that—even given budget, even given rush to market, even given everything—anyone who paid $250 for this as an entry into Rock Band isn't speaking out (even) more.

GamerJM

Banned
Okay, so I just got home from college, and I haven't been able to play the game since launch. What changes have been made via updates?

Kolma

So I held off until I could order this from Best Buy with GCU (waiting on the XBox One w/ Adapter bundle). So I knew it was bare bones, I really did.

But some of the design decisions are just baffling. The lack of setlists in Quick Play basically makes it impossible to play the game as I typically used to: choosing specific songs I want to sing (vocals being my main jam) is now a one-by-one process. The Career mode can occasionally replicate this, but even then the "Choice" playlist options are all JUST from the On-Disc songs, and that is some slim pickings as a vocalist (in that if there's two of such playlists in one tour, I'll end up having to repeat songs I know).

I like the Tour structure in Career otherwise. Adding encores is fun! There are little flourishes here and there that impress, but I just find it so flabbergasting that—even given budget, even given rush to market, even given everything—anyone who paid $250 for this as an entry into Rock Band isn't speaking out (even) more.

I think the way the career choices go is that playing for the fans gets you more on disc choices but playing for fame/money gets your more DLC choices

CloudWolf

Okay, so I just got home from college, and I haven't been able to play the game since launch. What changes have been made via updates?
You can make your own band now and some minor audio and instrument fixes. The big patch including all kinds of new shit and a nee gameplay mode is coming in a few weeks.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i bought the RB1 export on psn for $5 after rb4 launched, did it ever get confirmed that will work? ive played all of em before on the same account.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
More of a general question - how terrible an idea would it be to buy the DTX400 (the one without midi out) and just play along with the drums in no lose mode? i.e. don't hook it up to the console. I'm not fussed at all on scores or achievements.
Seems like you wanna get into drumming, and Rock Band is more of an afterthought, so go for it I'd say. Maybe "pretend drumming" in RB might feel a bit awkward, but the 400 is an okay enough beginner's choice that you can goof around with a bit. Try the USB adaptor sometime (which you will get anyway maybe, since you might want to get your MIDIs on your computer some time?), and maybe it's even good enough for you to play RB with (I don't really know about the supposed adaptor -> RB4 problems, sorry). Maybe look around for a cheap 450k, since that comes with the infinitely better multi-zone snare.

Just having to pay for it again at that level is hard, especially since I bought the digital version on top of the disc version.

But like I said, I'll be doing it just so I can move on from my Xbox 360.

I'm just happy were getting it. I'd be glad to pay $30 for that soundtrack.

How much do the extra guitars cost?

Not available standalone yet. In the beginning of 2016 they should be available.

Top Bottom