• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

pacman85

It's a little absurd that the RB 1 & 2 exports, features initially assumed to be available at launch - are now going to be coming after RB3, which everyone assumed was a lost cause.

But at least this means a steady content flow for the next few months. 83 more tracks in Dec, then hopefully the remainder before the end of spring.

It's a little absurd that the RB 1 & 2 exports, features initially assumed to be available at launch - are now going to be coming after RB3, which everyone assumed was a lost cause.

But at least this means a steady content flow for the next few months. 83 more tracks in Dec, then hopefully the remainder before the end of spring.

Yeah I'm OK with this. Do I wanna play RB1 songs asap? Of course. But I'm so happy were getting RB3 next month, and updates to RB4 every month. Just take your time to make things right.

Yeah I'm OK with this. Do I wanna play RB1 songs asap? Of course. But I'm so happy were getting RB3 next month, and updates to RB4 every month. Just take your time to make things right.

Hopefully this teaches them to set expectations accordingly with this stuff next time. Again, a lot of people assumed they could import songs from 1 & 2 at launch. We're now looking at a potential six-month delay for that to be a reality. That's gonna breed some bad blood.

Ninhead

I find it curious that the export they had no plans for and was announced last is the first we get. The rights for the previous titles must be completely fucked.

I find it curious that the export they had no plans for and was announced last is the first we get. The rights for the previous titles must be completely fucked.

It probably has the same problem as the delisted DLC, which is that they're trying to find a way to entitle older players to that content without allowing new players to buy them. That, and they're probably prioritizing DLC that they can still make money on from new buyers, that which already has a bunch of remaining issues, before moving on to stuff strictly for legacy players.

FyreWulff

Probably due to completely different redemption systems. RB3 will have some sort of RB4 centric method, while the previous exports exist in our download histories so they're probably working on getting first party to use the download history for those. It's been pretty clear that first party threw some curveballs at them due to having more silly arbitrary rules for content in this generation.

CloudWolf

Wow... so I won't have a reason to play RB4 for another few months?
I don't get this sentiment. Were the exports the only thing you played? I mean, I'm looking forward to the exports too, but I'm not not playing RB4 just because a small part of my library isn't available yet.

Storm360

To be honest, I don't see any reason to play RB4.

No exports I can live with, but no RBN is a deal breaker, I also miss customs heavily but obviously I can't use this as a "pro" towards RB3, but if I'm stuck offline anyways, I may aswell play RB3 with customs.

If it wasn't for the awful stock kits and me having e-kit issues on PS4 (for some reason, my floor tom drops notes on PS4, despite being fine on PS3/360/Wii) and my inability to get decent calibration I'd probably be alot more open to RB4, but eh, my 360 is getting used again now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't get this sentiment. Were the exports the only thing you played? I mean, I'm looking forward to the exports too, but I'm not not playing RB4 just because a small part of my library isn't available yet.
For me, the best songs were in RB1/2. I haven't felt any desire to play through RB4's song list, and I haven't really kept up on any DLC... so yeah.

My sentiment is this: Some of the very best songs in the whole dang universe of Rock Band are in RB1, 2, and 3. (And Lego and ACDC.). Playing RB4 without them feels incomplete. It will help a lot to get the RB3 export, but if I had had any idea we have to wait so long to get the exports I would have waited to buy RB4.

Now back to RB3 with 30+ Zeppelin customs!

FyreWulff

Any idea on how the Rb3 export will even work (I.e. Can I borrow my friends copy and buy the export pass)

All we know is it requires you to have RB3 and play it online at some point, since the verification will be digital.

They say new copies only, but there's no way to distinguish an used copy of RB3 from a real one, so that's likely just legalese to satisfy the lawyers of the labels. Only EA RB3s have manual codes, Mad Catz copies did not, so manual codes can't be used.

So it'll likely work like Rock Band 1, where you were able to just borrow the RB1 disc and get the export since you need to pay 15$ to get it anyway.

All we know is it requires you to have RB3 and play it online at some point, since the verification will be digital.

They say new copies only, but there's no way to distinguish an used copy of RB3 from a real one, so that's likely just legalese to satisfy the lawyers of the labels. Only EA RB3s have manual codes, Mad Catz copies did not, so manual codes can't be used.

So it'll likely work like Rock Band 1, where you were able to just borrow the RB1 disc and get the export since you need to pay 15$ to get it anyway.

What's this about online? I have hundreds of hours on RB3 but I doubt my friends and I ever played it online.

That was pretty clear from their wording within the RB3 export announcement :/

Though could still be later than we feared, "early 2016" can cover a lot of months even w/o delay (and problems with the individual stores... SCEE).

RB4 is probably the biggest gaming disappointment this year for me, I was so hyped after the initial announcement but reality came around launch and I still haven't bought the game because there's simply no point in switching from RB3 currently. I hope there will be a nice discount for digital RB4 until all the exports hit to sweeten the deal.
edit: Considering it's build as a platform the game will likely be really nice next year(s) but my expectations were not met this year at all besides the cool feature of using your old instruments.

espher

Anyone played around with the Philips Hue lights w/ RB4?

Thinking of buying some over Black Friday (if I can find a starter kit) as Best Buy up here in Canadiania has the lightstrips on sale.

Raide

Yeah, I definitely made a mistake buying this game at launch. I went back to Rock Band 3 and there's no reason for me to boot RB4 up again until "early 2016;" whatever that is.

This shit should have all been locked down and ready at launch. No excuses.

Agreed. I should have waited and purchased the whole kit much cheaper. I enjoy the game overall but I am still holding back on a real RockBand party with my friends till the Export stuff is working.

Xis

Got an email this morning from Harmonix: it advertises a bunch of stuff:

* the Van Halen pack
* standalone guitars now available from your 'favorite retailers' for $99.99
* Target band-in-a-box bundle featuring red controllers and 30 bonus songs (I assume the pre-order DLC?) for $199.99
* Guitar bundles from Gamestop come with five bonus songs from "Beck, B0RNS, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Cold War Kids, and X Ambassadors"

So that last point just about confirms the leaked DLC = the Gamestop bonus songs.

* the Van Halen pack
* Target band-in-a-box bundle featuring red controllers and 30 bonus songs (I assume the pre-order DLC?) for $199.99
* Guitar bundles from Gamestop come with five bonus songs from "Beck, B0RNS, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Cold War Kids, and X Ambassadors"

So that last point just about confirms the leaked DLC = the Gamestop bonus songs.

What leak?

CloudWolf

* the Van Halen pack

Not entirely, the Fall Out Boy song isn't in the Gamestop bonus.

pacman85

edit: Considering it's build as a platform the game will likely be really nice next year(s) but my expectations were not met this year at all besides the cool feature of using your old instruments.
What sucks about this though is everyone says "I'm waiting to buy the game until x song is available or until x feature is added" then why would they keep wasting dev time/hours into a game that is not selling well. Don't they need the revenue of game/instrument/DLC sales to make it worth their while to keep pumping time/money into the game?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Is the mixing on the Van Halen tracks bad or is it just the changes Harmonix made to the mix with the last patch? Like, I'm trying to play Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and crowd is so damn loud that I actually had to turn that setting down a lot.

Is the mixing on the Van Halen tracks bad or is it just the changes Harmonix made to the mix with the last patch? Like, I'm trying to play Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and crowd is so damn loud that I actually had to turn that setting down a lot.

My parents have complained about the crowds in this game before, so...

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
My parents have complained about the crowds in this game before, so...

I'm not crazy!

I haven't played the game much since the patch, but trying to play this DLC was genuinely annoying before I changed my audio settings. The crowds are stupid loud now and I don't remember this being the case before. The star here is Van Halen, not the fake crowd noise, okay.

I'm not crazy!

I haven't played the game much since the patch, but trying to play this DLC was genuinely annoying before I changed my audio settings. The crowds are stupid loud now and I don't remember this being the case before. The star here is Van Halen, not the fake crowd noise, okay.

Their response to the complaints about the lack of 5.1 mix was to add extra crowd noise to the surround speakers... So, yea.

They need to really work on it. It was perfect in RB3, not sure why the downgrade.

DagsJT

Just reading this thread sums up RB4 for me. Lots of potential but enough annoyances at the moment to make it worth hanging on before buying ideally.

FyreWulff

That was pretty clear from their wording within the RB3 export announcement :/

Though could still be later than we feared, "early 2016" can cover a lot of months even w/o delay (and problems with the individual stores... SCEE).

harmonix employee on reddit:

What's up, guys? We're in the business of being as open as (legally) possible. I could give you a date right now for when all exports will be in Rock Band 4, but it will likely get me fired and be a blatant lie. I'd rather not lie to you all (or be fired that's not cool)!
Exports are absolutely coming, and we are working hard to lock down an official date for you all. We really appreciate your patience while we get this work done - every day we're another step closer!

Should have been done when the game launched. All they really cared about was beating Guitar Hero Live to the shelf, which is shitty and senseless because at this point, I think those games have separate audiences.

Should have been done when the game launched. All they really cared about was beating Guitar Hero Live to the shelf, which is shitty and senseless because at this point, I think those games have separate audiences.

Most of the thousands of DLC was ready when the game launched, at least for people who weren't playing on SCEE consoles (which apparently has SCEE-side issues). Don't give me any of this "lazy" BS.

Game was rushed out, no denying that, but I think I have a lot of songs to play with even without the exports and any content updates.

bounchfx

I wish they would have at least given us a window. A lot of us assumed launch week if not day, and it's been a lot longer. Even if they said Q1 2016, at least we'd have an idea.

Gleethor

I'm not crazy!

One of the problems is that crowd noise is at a consistent volume level across all songs, but not all songs are at a consistent volume level. DLC songs from the rock band 1 and 2 eras are noticeably louder than ones from 3 and 4. Harmonix should really find some way to normalize all audio across all tracks.

I wish they would have at least given us a window. A lot of us assumed launch week if not day, and it's been a lot longer. Even if they said Q1 2016, at least we'd have an idea.

They weren't going to say that. I'm sure a lot of the thinking was to trick people into thinking it would be soon after launch because they knew they'd lose initial sales to Guitar Hero if they knew it was going to be Q1 2016.

They weren't going to say that. I'm sure a lot of the thinking was to trick people into thinking it would be soon after launch because they knew they'd lose initial sales to Guitar Hero if they knew it was going to be Q1 2016.

The problem with that idea is that they would have been sitting on a completed game for months working out whatever issues are holding up the exports. You can say a lot of things about Rock Band 4, but it was pretty much feature complete when it released. Delaying until post-Guitar Hero would have basically only gotten us the first patch. Delaying any further than that has the risk of missing out on the holiday season, which could also have a big effect on sales.

FyreWulff

~2000 songs converted and given to everyone for free on a new console generation, with free harmony upgrades officially added. I think waiting for the few more songs from exports will be survivable for a few more weeks as they navigate first party's rules this generation on content.

And I'm one of those crazy fuckers that has both the regular and (RB3 Version)s of the Country Track Pack 2. I literally exported everything.

Guitar Hero made the decision to torch all of their content even on the generation it released on. They had a bit easier time of it, although they put a lot of work in too - but a lot of Harmonix's effort wasn't "visible". They basically had to certify and re-release 20 games worth of content while they were making RB4 at the same time. And they're a small studio. We can't even get Microsoft to update Halo Reach.

You're mad because you can't play songs you exported 7 years ago on another console that isn't available at launch for RB4? Honestly, its hard to wait the few months to play the exports? They really tricked us. They got us good.

You're mad because you can't play songs you exported 7 years ago on another console that isn't available at launch for RB4? Honestly, its hard to wait the few months to play the exports? They really tricked us. They got us good.

Yes, I am. I paid the money and I find it to be a bad purchase. If I knew the exports weren't going to be there until "Q1 2016," I wouldn't have bought the game. There is no reason to not just play Rock Band 3 at this point. As a consumer, I have a right to call out how dumb that feels.

Top Bottom