• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Yes, I am. I paid the money and I find it to be a bad purchase. If I knew the exports weren't going to be there until "Q1 2016," I wouldn't have bought the game. There is no reason to not just play Rock Band 3 at this point. As a consumer, I have a right to call out how dumb that feels.

I'm curious. Where did they say exports were gonna be available at launch?

Btw, these exports aren't exactly entitled to you. They were on the last generation of consoles, but getting your dlc and exports on a new set of consoles is a bonus, not an entitlement.

SFenton

I wonder if they're trying to relight some of the downed exports for newcomers to buy?

pleeeeeeeeease, I need LEGO Rock Band...

Btw, these exports aren't exactly entitled to you. They were on the last generation of consoles, but getting your dlc and exports on a new set of consoles is a bonus, not an entitlement.

The issue is that they waited until now to say Q1 2016 on exports. They said in the build-up that exports would beventually be available "soon after launch." Yes, nobody said they'd be available at launch (although they should have been). But I don't think anybody expected it to take at least 3 months. Also, Q1 2016 could mean as late as March 2016, which is even crazier.

Don't start the "entitlement" stuff either. If I'm going to throw down my money for the game, I'd appreciate honest, direct language as to when I can expect an important advertised feature to be available. I'm not exactly thrilled at how "soon after launch" could now be as late as March 2016.

Again, right now, there's no real reason to play Rock Band 4 if you have Rock Band 3, so my purchase feels a little silly right now.

FyreWulff

I wonder if they're trying to relight some of the downed exports for newcomers to buy?

pleeeeeeeeease, I need LEGO Rock Band...

Would be more likely that they'd just re-release the songs (or what they could) as regular DLC than re-activate the exports themselves for newcomers

the precedent we have for this so far is

We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions from Lego -> regular DLC as (RB3 Versions)
Wanted Dead or Alive / Living on a Prayer / You Give Love a Bad Name as (RB3 Versions) from RB1,2, and Lego
Give It Away and Spoonman from RB2 being re-released via Blitz and as regular a la carte DLC

the entirety of Green Day Rock Band -> regular store DLC

all which had special cases around why they were re-released

edit: I guess technically you can count Run to the Hills and Tom Sawyer from RB1, but those were covers having a master made available later

SFenton

Would be more likely that they'd just re-release the songs (or what they could) as regular DLC than re-activate the exports themselves for newcomers

the precedent we have for this so far is

We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions from Lego -> regular DLC as (RB3 Versions)
Wanted Dead or Alive / Living on a Prayer / You Give Love a Bad Name as (RB3 Versions) from RB1,2, and Lego
Give It Away and Spoonman from RB2 being re-released via Blitz and as regular a la carte DLC

the entirety of Green Day Rock Band -> regular store DLC

all which had special cases around why they were re-released

edit: I guess technically you can count Run to the Hills and Tom Sawyer from RB1, but those were covers having a master made available later

I wouldn't even mind if that happened since I only need LEGO. Game was just chock full of good songs, and I only had it on Wii at the time. :)

What sucks about this though is everyone says "I'm waiting to buy the game until x song is available or until x feature is added" then why would they keep wasting dev time/hours into a game that is not selling well. Don't they need the revenue of game/instrument/DLC sales to make it worth their while to keep pumping time/money into the game?

This. Everyone keeps doing the "well, if I'm not getting my money's worth right now, I'd rather sit on it and watch RB crash and burn". I see buying RB4 kind of like a Kickstarter. Harmonix is in a similar position to Lab Zero - a small, ambitious and very audience oriented developer that wants to make something they can't QUITE afford to do.

For now, I can play a ton of songs on PS4, with better instruments and solos. That's worth an investment. Especially if it means that Harmonix might stay around to give me song updates for another console generation.

CloudWolf

I'm not crazy!

I haven't played the game much since the patch, but trying to play this DLC was genuinely annoying before I changed my audio settings. The crowds are stupid loud now and I don't remember this being the case before. The star here is Van Halen, not the fake crowd noise, okay.
That's nothing, just try to play the old The Who DLC with crowd noise all the way up. I couldn't even hear Behind Blue Eyes because the crowd was singing along so loud.

Again, right now, there's no real reason to play Rock Band 4 if you have Rock Band 3, so my purchase feels a little silly right now.

I can play Van Halen. I can play U2. I can play Brown Eyed Girl, Suspicious Minds, Cowboys From Hell, Lust For Life, Caught Up in You, The Impression That I Get, Light Up the Night, No One Like You, Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo, Somebody Told Me, Uptown Funk, What's Up, Shut Up and Dance, September, The Reflex, Love in an Elevator, and a bunch more new songs.

I can play freestyles solos if I want to. I can play harmonies on older, pre-RB3 songs if I want to.

And at least as an Xbox player, I can still play the vast majority of my old songs while waiting for The Doors, my delisted songs, and my exports.

Give me a break.

That's nothing, just try to play the old The Who DLC with crowd noise all the way up. I couldn't even hear Behind Blue Eyes because the crowd was singing along so loud.

That's definitely one of the more egregious examples I've seen.

This. Everyone keeps doing the "well, if I'm not getting my money's worth right now, I'd rather sit on it and watch RB crash and burn". I see buying RB4 kind of like a Kickstarter. Harmonix is in a similar position to Lab Zero - a small, ambitious and very audience oriented developer that wants to make something they can't QUITE afford to do.

For now, I can play a ton of songs on PS4, with better instruments and solos. That's worth an investment. Especially if it means that Harmonix might stay around to give me song updates for another console generation.

This is exactly why I bought the game despite my issues with it. However IONs remain the most important problem for myself and many others. They've gone completely radio silent on IONs and I haven't seen them respond to a question about them in forever.

With drumsets unavailable on their own I can't even play the game the way I want to (drums) and the legacy adapter is useless because I have the IONs.

I bought the game to show support, but that is where my support ends until IONs get in. I don't want excuses, it's not my problem who's fault exactly it is. Between Harmonix, Microsoft, and ION the issue needs to be resolved and until then I'm not putting any additional money into the game.

bobohoro

You can say a lot of things about Rock Band 4, but it was pretty much feature complete when it released.

If your definition of a feature complete game is a working shell of its prequels with some shining but hollow new thingies, then sure. But the list of things missing is way longer than the one for new features, and while the patch and content update in december are something positive, it will still feel like a lesser game than RB3 for many.

I went into RB4 with mighty low expectations and still feel like I wasted money. And that's a rare sentiment for me when it comes to video games. The one good thing about RB4 is that it made me go back to regularly playing RB3 again.

I haven't given up hope yet. I'll wait for next year, maybe the update really still has lots of surprises left and SCEE/Harmonix finally manage to get all of the DLC ready. And just maybe the new standalone guitar launches at a reasonable price without any issues.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
0U1GFMu.jpg
pic

I can play Van Halen. I can play U2. I can play Brown Eyed Girl, Suspicious Minds, Cowboys From Hell, Lust For Life, Caught Up in You, The Impression That I Get, Light Up the Night, No One Like You, Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo, Somebody Told Me, Uptown Funk, What's Up, Shut Up and Dance, September, The Reflex, Love in an Elevator, and a bunch more new songs.

I can play freestyles solos if I want to. I can play harmonies on older, pre-RB3 songs if I want to.

And at least as an Xbox player, I can still play the vast majority of my old songs while waiting for The Doors, my delisted songs, and my exports.

Give me a break.

That's definitely one of the more egregious examples I've seen.

Not enough lulz, you two work for harmonix right?

Oppo

well I'm definitely really irritated by the lack of back DLC support. that's a huge selling point. and I kind of feel lied to, or at the very least misled severely.

I ain't buying any dlc for RB4, certainly not until they fulfil what they promised with RB1 +2 songs. I could have just used my PS3 until next year had I known. wanted to give Harmonox the benefit but they fucking botched this.

Not enough lulz, you two work for harmonix right?

Oh great. This guy is back.

well I'm definitely really irritated by the lack of back DLC support. that's a huge selling point. and I kind of feel lied to, or at the very least misled severely.

I ain't buying any dlc for RB4, certainly not until they fulfil what they promised with RB1 +2 songs. I could have just used my PS3 until next year had I known. wanted to give Harmonox the benefit but they fucking botched this.

What are you going on about? All of your old dlc works except for a few exceptions at the moment.

Oppo

What are you going on about? All of your old dlc works except for a few exceptions at the moment.
most of my catalog does not work. which is RB1, 2, 3. this is what I bought RB4 for, to have access to that, on the new hardware and new platform going forward. so yeah I wish I had not trusted that the support was "real soon now". I expected a month or two, three at most. stupid me. early 2016 sounds like March or April now. which is when their game should have gone on sale. sorry. patience has ended, this is a straight bummer, and I feel they've been trying to court customers before the product was finished.

most of my catalog does not work. which is RB1, 2, 3. this is what I bought RB4 for, to have access to that, on the new hardware and new platform going forward. so yeah I wish I had not trusted that the support was "real soon now". I expected a month or two, three at most. stupid me.

Are you talking about the exports or the dlc that came out for the games?

If the former, RB3 export will be available next month. RB1+2 sometime early 2016.

If it's the dlc it should be there in the store.

If your definition of a feature complete game is a working shell of its prequels with some shining but hollow new thingies, then sure. But the list of things missing is way longer than the one for new features, and while the patch and content update in december are something positive, it will still feel like a lesser game than RB3 for many.

I went into RB4 with mighty low expectations and still feel like I wasted money. And that's a rare sentiment for me when it comes to video games. The one good thing about RB4 is that it made me go back to regularly playing RB3 again.

I haven't given up hope yet. I'll wait for next year, maybe the update really still has lots of surprises left and SCEE/Harmonix finally manage to get all of the DLC ready. And just maybe the new standalone guitar launches at a reasonable price without any issues.

Since you mentioned SCEE, I will say that you guys have a legit argument when it comes to how the launch was handled in multiple ways, some of which are directly the fault of Madcatz/Harmonix, some of which are SCEE's fault.

That being said, we knew going into it that there was no online, so that wasn't a surprise for anyone. The only feature/game mode, to me, that's straight up not there that I would have expected to be is practice mode. Stat tracking is arguably somewhere between unoptimal and broken depending on how meticulous you are about it (it still stores them, it just doesn't show them particularly well). I know there are people that were expecting basically a straight port of RB3, but once they said they were moving to a new engine, I wasn't. The modes that are there do work, and there's no mode that they said was going to be there that isn't. To me, that's feature complete.

Since you mentioned SCEE, I will say that you guys have a legit argument when it comes to how the launch was handled in multiple ways, some of which are directly the fault of Madcatz/Harmonix, some of which are SCEE's fault.

That being said, we knew going into it that there was no online, so that wasn't a surprise for anyone. The only feature/game mode, to me, that's straight up not there that I would have expected to be is practice mode. Stat tracking is arguably somewhere between unoptimal and broken depending on how meticulous you are about it (it still stores them, it just doesn't show them particularly well). I know there are people that were expecting basically a straight port of RB3, but once they said they were moving to a new engine, I wasn't. The modes that are there do work, and there's no mode that they said was going to be there that isn't. To me, that's feature complete.
As someone who doesn't care about online, I'm not a fan of the argument that we knew going in which features were missing that it sucks less. The second they announced that they were dropping keys, pro guitar, and pro bass, my excitement for Rock Band 4 imploded completely and further announcements only made it worse.

I wasn't expecting a straight port of Rock Band 3, I was expecting a refinement of what made Rock Band 3 special when 4 was announced, like how Rock Band 2 refined the Rock Band 1 formula. Instead we got a sort of sequel to Rock Band 2, a great game in its own right but to me pales in comparison to Rock Band 3, which I see as the pinnacle of the genre. Point is, I have a giant list of things that I'm upset are gone and keys and pro instruments are numero uno

FyreWulff

Pro keys hurt the most.

I kinda sorta miss Pro but on the other hand, Rocksmith won the real guitar support war, and was the only one of the two with real bass support (I play bass). Even if I preferred being able to see hand position. Too bad a game never came out that used both the guitar audio and a midi-enabled neck.

Playing bass on a guitar sucked in RB3. I wonder if they ever had plans to release a pro bass - no pro chart in RB3 has bass notes that use the 5th/6th string, so it looked like it was set up to be compatible with a potential 4-string bass.

Pro keys hurt the most.

I kinda sorta miss Pro but on the other hand, Rocksmith won the real guitar support war, and was the only one of the two with real bass support (I play bass). Even if I preferred being able to see hand position. Too bad a game never came out that used both the guitar audio and a midi-enabled neck.

Playing bass on a guitar sucked in RB3. I wonder if they ever had plans to release a pro bass - no pro chart in RB3 has bass notes that use the 5th/6th string, so it looked like it was set up to be compatible with a potential 4-string bass.

No, what sucks is paying hundreds of dollars for a 50 dollar strat with a plastic neck. Pro guitar was gonna flop from the get go, all the hardware was trash. It's a nice idea, but really if you are playing guitar you're going to learn fret position on your own. When you play a song you know the ins and outs, the only drawback of not having fret feedback is that it makes things slightly less sight readable. I have no problem sight reading in rock smith though, I guess that's probably heavily dependent on experience though.

Oh great. This guy is back.

Get out. Without exports even considered that's factually false.

Calcium

Banned
I bought the new Van Halen pack this morning and in my continuing efforts to learn to play the drums I've had a bit of a breakthrough. I switched to a "heel-up" position and my kick pedal is a hell of a lot more accurate and getting the double kicks seems a lot easier this way. I managed to get 99% on Runnin' With The Devil on Hard, so maybe there is hope for me yet.

No, what sucks is paying hundreds of dollars for a 50 dollar strat with a plastic neck. Pro guitar was gonna flop from the get go, all the hardware was trash. It's a nice idea, but really if you are playing guitar you're going to learn fret position on your own. When you play a song you know the ins and outs, the only drawback of not having fret feedback is that it makes things slightly less sight readable. I have no problem sight reading in rock smith though, I guess that's probably heavily dependent on experience though.

Get out. Without exports even considered that's factually false.

Dlc is different than exports.

BrokenBox

I think it has become apparent that Harmonix has prioritized downloadable stuff they can sell now versus exports which they can't make money off of. I don't blame them, either. It's smart given that they're an independent developer who co/self-published a game that costs over $200 to jump in (in a lot of cases).

Not having the exports yet is disappointing, but they'll come. Harmonix is usually pretty good with the community and hopefully they'll honor their more open approach when communicating with fans.

I don't even care about the Exports. Just really wish they'd work on the sound mix and just generally on making the game more robust in other ways (stat tracking, playlists, etc.)

BrokenBox

The game really does need Setlists. Especially for some of the DLC or albums where it would be essential to bypass the pause for loading.

I don't even care about the Exports. Just really wish they'd work on the sound mix and just generally on making the game more robust in other ways (stat tracking, playlists, etc.)

Exactly. Getting mad about exports not being available yet is understandable, but saying that Harmonix duped us or screwed us is stupid.

There's bigger things to complain about like no practice mode, more stats post song, setlists, online play and so forth. Thankfully the game isn't just released and done with, and we're getting updates to remedy these features that are missing.

Do I feel like I wasted money? No, because my old instruments needed replacing, and I didn't feel like having a 360 connected to my tv anymore.

Exactly. Getting mad about exports not being available yet is understandable, but saying that Harmonix duped us or screwed us is stupid.

There's bigger things to complain about like no practice mode, more stats post song, setlists, online play and so forth. Thankfully the game isn't just released and done with, and we're getting updates to remedy these features that are missing.

Do I feel like I wasted money? No, because my old instruments needed replacing, and I didn't feel like having a 360 connected to my tv anymore.
Whenever people detail what they want back, I feel so alienated. I never used online, practice, setlists, or the post song stats in my 1000+ hours in the genre. I feel like all of those are small potatoes to the aforementioned instrument losses, the song stat screen on the song selection menu, ratings, missing songs (exports, DLC, and RBN), etc.

I would be 100% okay if they never patched in online or whatever you stated. I dunno, I just feel like there's a weird disconnect between what I want and what everyone else wants, which is sad for me because they're most likely patch in what more people want.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I finally got my e-drums set up and have finally started trying to get it set up with Rock Band 4 which I haven't even played yet even though I bought it at launch. 2 questions:

1 - I finally got a legacy adapter and plugged my Guitar Hero World Tour drums in which I used to use for triggering MIDI. The MIDI triggering doesn't seem to be working though the actual drum pads are fine. This configuration worked with previous Rock Bands. Does this not work anymore or do I just have a bad MIDI cable?

2 - Even if I can't actually play the game the way it's supposed to be played I would often just go into practice mode and play along using my own drum sounds, like drum Karaoke with the game removing the drum track because it wasn't triggering the game at all. The thing is if you completely fail in RB4 you constantly hear this annoying drum stick clicking sound, they had the same thing in The Beatles Rock Band. Is there no way to turn that shit off? I turned down Effects but it didn't change that at all. If not it's a deal breaker and I completely wasted my money on this game.

Kolma

I finally got my e-drums set up and have finally started trying to get it set up with Rock Band 4 which I haven't even played yet even though I bought it at launch. 2 questions:

1 - I finally got a legacy adapter and plugged my Guitar Hero World Tour drums in which I used to use for triggering MIDI. The MIDI triggering doesn't seem to be working though the actual drum pads are fine. This configuration worked with previous Rock Bands. Does this not work anymore or do I just have a bad MIDI cable?

2 - Even if I can't actually play the game the way it's supposed to be played I would often just go into practice mode and play along using my own drum sounds, like drum Karaoke with the game removing the drum track because it wasn't triggering the game at all. The thing is if you completely fail in RB4 you constantly hear this annoying drum stick clicking sound, they had the same thing in The Beatles Rock Band. Is there no way to turn that shit off? I turned down Effects but it didn't change that at all. If not it's a deal breaker and I completely wasted my money on this game.

RB3 had the options to disable miss sounds.
I always turned them off cause it was annoying as fuck, I could imagine more so when you are purposely missing :(

I'm sure they will add the option back in to RB4 eventually. But for now there is nothing we can do. You might as well play along with youtube videos if using your own drumset.

As for #1.. no idea anything about that. all I remember hearing(reading) is that cymbals do not work with the GHWT/GHWOR midi method.

Top Bottom