• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

FyreWulff

I'm sure they can get a MIDI adapter working because it already works if you use the GH:WT drumkit.

I posted about it not working but it turned out to be a bad MIDI cable. So right now I'm connecting the GH:WT drums to the Legacy Game Controller thingy and plugging my e-drums into the MIDI port on the GH drums and it works fine. So it's totally possible to do a wireless MIDI adapter.

It's due to Microsoft not allowing wired controller data at all at the moment.

The GH:WT works because it's wireless and is a tightly controlled (literal) air gap between the One and the drumkit. I'm also curious if your e-kit is actually able to do full pro (it didn't let you do it in RB3) or if the GHWT drumkit is just intercepting MIDI commands and converting them into GHdrum note commands. The MIDIpro actually passes full midi data to the game, which is why it was wired.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's due to Microsoft not allowing wired controller data at all at the moment.

The GH:WT works because it's wireless and is a tightly controlled (literal) air gap between the One and the drumkit. I'm also curious if your e-kit is actually able to do full pro (it didn't let you do it in RB3) or if the GHWT drumkit is just intercepting MIDI commands and converting them into GHdrum note commands. The MIDIpro actually passes full midi data to the game, which is why it was wired.

I meant they should make a wireless controller MIDI controller, yeah. The GH:WT kit doesn't allow pro, no. I made a custom kit on my drum brain so that the different kit pieces trigger the proper colours even though there are doubles. So for example the second tom is the same note as the ride cymbal as both are blue in the game.

When I'm playing the song I tend to play it properly even though I could for example use the tom when I'm meant to playing the ride. It works well enough for me.

FyreWulff

Wireless MIDI is questionable since due to the way wireless works, you'd be trying to implement message-send guarantees on a protocol designed to be fire-and-forget, and it would introduce lag since it'd be fighting with the console itself for wireless spectrum.

So while it would be nice, I can see why Harmonix being staffed by a bunch of music nerds, didn't go for it. Also because the MIDIpro had to handle keys and the Squier in addition to drums.

And let us not forget the silliness Microsoft had with the Squier where the Squier's controller buttons only worked on the PS3 and Wii because they insisted a universal controller not be able to work on their platform directly. So even on the 360 they've had a history of trying to be unique with their controller connection policies.

Thought I might pick this up, but £100 for the guitar bundle? £250 for the band bundle? I hope they're confident in this game, because that's partly the reason why we had to have a massive break from music games :\

Thought I might pick this up, but £100 for the guitar bundle? £250 for the band bundle? I hope they're confident in this game, because that's partly the reason why we had to have a massive break from music games :\

The problem years ago was that stores were flooded with giant boxes of new bundles and instruments seemingly every few months as people (Activision mainly) rode the music game gravy train.
If anything, the only thing Harmonix will change over the years is maybe instrument colors but keep the core game the same. Or perhaps the disc in the box will have the most up to date version.

The problem years ago was that stores were flooded with giant boxes of new bundles and instruments seemingly every few months as people (Activision mainly) rode the music game gravy train.
If anything, the only thing Harmonix will change over the years is maybe instrument colors but keep the core game the same. Or perhaps the disc in the box will have the most up to date version.

In any case I'll keep my eye out after Boxing Day, I can't really justify that price anymore. Thought Lego Dimensons was bad!

Lady Gaia

I meant they should make a wireless controller MIDI controller, yeah.

It's 100% do-able, but that's entirely Mad Katz's decision based on expected sales. They were clearly disappointed with sales of the original MIDI Pro Adapter when it was a hot new item tied into Rock Band 3 launch features that supported three different instruments. It would be great if they introduced a new Xbox One MPA but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
woot more Opeth.
Glorious week if the update & export works out without too much hickups.

Well the song is like 9 minutes long ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ghost of Perdition is 10 minutes and is priced at £1.19. What's your point.

I wouldn't mind as much if they actually acknowledged the EU price increase but they haven't, not pre-release nor post-release.

Edit: No fucking way. That's been increased to £1.59 on the Xbox store. Still £1.19 on PS4, but I think the precedent has been set.

CloudWolf

I wouldn't mind as much if they actually acknowledged the EU price increase but they haven't, not pre-release nor post-release.

Edit: No fucking way. That's been increased to £1.59 on the Xbox store. Still £1.19 on PS4, but I think the precedent has been set.
It wasn't 'increased' to £1,59 on the Xbox Store, it was always that price. You PS3 guys just always got the songs cheaper than the rest. 160 Microsoft Points (aka 1 song) was 2$/€2/£1.59.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member

I was kidding. Price increase sucks, especially seeing the dire situation in the EU these past months (in Euro-land it's gone up from 1.49 to 1.99, which is steep). But I'm too much of a feeble-minded consumer-whore to stop buying DLC, I'm just gonna choose less intuitive and won't buy as much as I did in the past I guess.
It wasn't 'increased' to £1,59 on the Xbox Store, it was always that price. You PS3 guys just always got the songs cheaper than the rest. 160 Microsoft Points (aka 1 song) was 2$/€2/£1.59.
Huh, didn't know that.

It was never 'increased' to 1,59 on the Xbox Store, it was always that price. You PS4 guys just always got the songs cheaper than the rest. 160 Microsoft Points was 2$/€2/£1.59.

Well then why didn't they say they were moving towards price parity before release. That's relatively fair despite it not being a price I'm willing to pay.

If they had I wouldn't have bought that game because I knew I wouldn't buy any DLC.

Dont give a goose about Symphony X but the other 2 are the best DLC since Rock Band 4 released.

is rb3 export confirmed this week too or they still trying to get it done?

the more I get into rock band the more bummed out I am that I switched consoles for Rb3

gonna miss 2 and lego exports :\

2 had some good shit

Isn't the patch supposed to include the rb1 and rb2 disc content for those who have it unlocked?

Nope, last they've said is that the RB3 export is coming this month, and all other exports are coming some time in 2016.

The export for RB3 will cost $14.99. I wonder if there will be a fee for RB1 and 2?

Trogdor1123

Nope, last they've said is that the RB3 export is coming this month, and all other exports are coming some time in 2016.

The export for RB3 will cost $14.99. I wonder if there will be a fee for RB1 and 2?
Would we need a disc for rb3? I assume so but would love it if it's not

Would we need a disc for rb3? I assume so but would love it if it's not

From the HMX blog-

We will be automatically verifying your purchase electronically, which means that you'll need to have bought a new copy and played Rock Band 3 for our export process to work. If, for some reason, our electronic check doesn't work for you, please contact our Customer Support portal here.

One of the absolute, if not the absolute, worst weeks of Rock Band DLC of all time.

Really grateful for the Rock Band 3 export, because damn we've hit rock bottom on my personal taste in music.

Gorger

No I think this update just comes out alongside the RB3 export.
I think I remember reading that it's RB3 export and big update this month, then RB1 and 2 exports early 2016

Besides occasional Freebird, Everybody Wants To Rule The World, 29 or 6 to 4 and No One Knows I hardly play the RB3 songs at all. There is just too much random crap which is really boring to play. RB 1 had most of my favorite songs.

Top Bottom