• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

bounchfx

Holy shit yes. I have a reason to plug in RB4 again. Opeth and btbam with a healthy dose of symphony X. It's been far too long. Thank you based hmx.

Let's get a full Opeth album in the future awe yiss

Yaari

It's great that there's something for everyone. I don't like this DLC at all but if others do, then that's good enough for me.

darknil

So I was browsing the in game store yesterday searching for a couple of DLC that was fixed since launch, so I decided to start to save tracks using the wishlist function. Everything is going smoot---
Cannot connect to servers at this moment.

I literally rage quit the store after the 6th error.

Hopefully the patch fixes menu navigation, is SO BAD.

So I was browsing the in game store yesterday searching for a couple of DLC that was fixed since launch, so I decided to start to save tracks using the wishlist function. Everything is going smoot---

It's down for maintenance.

I'll have to give a listen to these songs, the only band I really have an opinion on is BTBAM, and that's that they write really good halves of songs with the rest I'm not really bothered about. Selkies is a prime example. The second half is superb, the first, while having grown on me, still isn't entirely to my tastes.

Still, if this confirms one thing is that themed weeks seem to be the trend, we wouldn't have got three epic prog metal songs back during RB1's launch, that's for sure. We even got a mixed artist pack last week, I don't think we got a single one of those during RB3. Bring on the inevitable Rush/Genesis/King Crimson week.

Twitter said that the leaderboards and in-game store are down for maintenance in preparation for the patch.

Big NOPE from me on DLC this week. Happy for the metal fans though.

So RB3 export is confirmed for the patch this week? Am I hearing that right?

According to semi-famous Rock Band player IBitePrettyHard who recently got invited to HMX offices where he asked questions like this, getting IONs to work is way harder than we think because the Xbox One hardware simply doesn't allow it anymore.

Then do it through the legacy adapter. Seriously, hobbyists have chopped apart old RB drums and/or used GHWT drums as a pass through. I refuse to accept professionals can't solve this problem.

Give us a wireless "controller" for our IONs. This is so dumb. I really wish I hadn't bought this game at full price. It's 100% my own fault, but I kind of felt like they'd be working on getting support for this alongside the other stuff. I didn't interpret it as a "can't happen", but as a "on the table".

Ninhead

Then do it through the legacy adapter. Seriously, hobbyists have chopped apart old RB drums and/or used GHWT drums as a pass through. I refuse to accept professionals can't solve this problem.

The legacy adapter is a specially-made piece of hardware from Microsoft to allow ONLY wireless Rock Band signatured equipment. MIDI interfaced product doesn't fit that. If they allow that, people can reverse-engineer the drivers and get all kinds of things working on it. Which Microsoft doesn't want.

FyreWulff

Just another confusing situation in the world of music licensing. We're not allowed to have Sex Machine by James Brown but that less famous alternate release of I Feel Good that no one is going to be able to song along to on their first attempt? Go for it.

And likely because one is considered a digital store sale and the other a disc copy license, even though they're delivered the same way.

Music Licensing: Not Even Once!

The legacy adapter is a specially-made piece of hardware from Microsoft to allow ONLY wireless Rock Band signatured equipment. MIDI interfaced product doesn't fit that. If they allow that, people can reverse-engineer the drivers and get all kinds of things working on it. Which Microsoft doesn't want.

Make a wireless controller that is a "RB drumkit" that you plug your pads into. An official version of the mod other hobbyists have made. I'd do it myself but I'm not paying insane eBay prices for old used kits.

Psymatiq

Neo Member
best week since rb4 launched. Fucking hell its Opeth fuck all the rest of the songs in the game, Opeth is by far the best concert ived ever been to. Mikael is just amazing, music jesus of our time.

Bauer91

Would've picked a different Opeth song but loving the BTBAM and Symphony X picks. Still, easily the best week of RB4 DLC by far. Hell, maybe the best one ever.

Ninhead

Make a wireless controller that is a "RB drumkit" that you plug your pads into. An official version of the mod other hobbyists have made. I'd do it myself but I'm not paying insane eBay prices for old used kits.

They're not gonna do that. They don't have the money to do that for a smaller part of their audience.

FyreWulff

Harmonix may not be able to even do this, being an official Microsoft and ION licensee.

We can do weird mods like that because we don't have a legal contract with Microsoft which may limit what we can make or endorse building for Xbox, or with ION saying what we can do with ION's trademark and products.

The real solution is in Microsoft's hands to let USB controllers work on the Xbox One.

bounchfx

Would've picked a different Opeth song but loving the BTBAM and Symphony X picks. Still, easily the best week of RB4 DLC by far. Hell, maybe the best one ever.

yeah I am a bit confused at the Heir apparent pick, it is their self proclaimed heaviest song, and while I do like it, I feel like there might have been better choices. but they pick songs for a reason so maybe it's fun as shit to play.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
so if I go buy a copy of Rock Band 3 from Gamestop i can put it into my ps3 and play it and it will say i can import for 15$?

Or do I use that actual disc somehow to pull the songs?

That thing from harmonix doesn't really tell me, i just have to get an achievement with the game on ps3 and then i can just get all the songs when i buy that 15$ thing?

With this DLC, all of my favorite bands now have a song in Rock Band:

Dream Theater
X Japan
Nightwish
Symphony X
Sonata Arctica (well, in RBN, but still counts!)

I'm quite excited for tomorrow's update and the RB3 import.

so if I go buy a copy of Rock Band 3 from Gamestop i can put it into my ps3 and play it and it will say i can import for 15$?

That thing from harmonix doesn't really tell me, i just have to get an achievement with the game on ps3 and then i can just get all the songs when i buy that 15$ thing?

Honestly I'm not sure anyone knows 100% how it will work at this point. We're like 24 hours out from the RB3 export releasing and HMX has given us very little info as to how it works. I'm hoping that it just checks to see if my Xbox account ever played the game online since I don't have the game or a 360 anymore. Would like to avoid buying another copy and tracking down a 360 just for the purpose of the export.

Nobody knows

v1perz53

Gah I wish there was still a way to export Rock Band 1 on PSN, some of my favorite songs are from RB1 but I never exported, always just put in the RB1 disc when I wanted to play. And now it doesn't look like I'll be able to. Don't have any PS3 instruments anymore either. Man, all I want is to play Green Grass and High Tides again. I would probably pay $30-40 for a DLC pack of the RB1 songs honestly, even knowing it would be a huge ripoff.

Enjoy the artists this week but the song choices are pretty weak. Ah well.

That said, there's far less complaining in here about the DLC (genre-wise) than I was expecting. Hooray!

Enjoy the artists this week but the song choices are pretty weak. Ah well.

That said, there's far less complaining in here about the DLC (genre-wise) than I was expecting. Hooray!

They're giving us great variety week-to-week, so I won't complain when they give us a crappy, horrible week like this one ;)

zulux21

One of the absolute, if not the absolute, worst weeks of Rock Band DLC of all time.

Really grateful for the Rock Band 3 export, because damn we've hit rock bottom on my personal taste in music.

aONTtnJ.png

:p

though I don't think I will by anything myself this week.

music has so much range so many different likes between people that there is always going to be off weeks for individuals :p

Thanks for the link. I wonder if the auto kick will disqualify gold stars or 5 star or anything?

Would be stupid if it allowed somebody to gold star the song and put it up on the leaderboard legit.

No sign of Bass Boost yet in the updates. Kind of bummed about that. Bass boost was great in the previous games. Refuse to play bass now it's so far back in the mixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zm1Ie537tU

Dat crunch!

Will definetly be buying the BtBaM song and the Opeth one. The Symphony X song I'm going to have to see the chart for first.

I'm selling my copy of the game tomorrow, because I never play it or have friends over to game, but I want to beat the campaign before doing so.

I think I have two, maybe three, tours left. If so, how long do you think I have in hours?

Gnasher

Neo Member
Thinking about picking this game up for the drums, not interested in guitar or mic. Would my best bet be to buy rb4 band in a box and sell the guitar and mic?

Is the included drumkit the best one available(outside of spending serious money)? Haven't played since RB 1 so away behind the times, advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kolma

I'm selling my copy of the game tomorrow, because I never play it or have friends over to game, but I want to beat the campaign before doing so.

I think I have two, maybe three, tours left. If so, how long do you think I have in hours?

Sounds like a weird situation...
You can still play it solo, That's how I play Rock Band 99% of the time.
Also tour is replayable for different paths.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Please give me RB3 export. I'll play Free Bird for a while before I get bored again and wait for the RB1/2 exports whenever they decide to get to them.

Kolma

thqMUcL.jpg

I am so ready for today's RB3 export and title update!

Maybe I should get the RB4 cymbals... already have RB3 cymbals but that box is so nice and shiny.

I just realized how weird my pro drums setup is with my green cymbal being higher than my blue cymbal...

And how RB3 cymbals are pictured like this on the packaging.
41aYWecmeVL._SX425_.jpg

NOPE! Had a 333MB update to the Xbone itself. But it's been a couple of weeks since I fired it up so.....

No prompt to update RB4.

Can't connect to server to Get More Songs.

6:35 AM EST

Top Bottom