• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Yeah that one to.

Stupid thing is that i need to reFC around 600 songs cause they doesnt show the FC symbol cause i fced em before the patch :/.

Took one look at all my 500 or so FC'ed songs on Guitar and was like "Nope" when I saw the FC indicator didn't pop up in the song select for them. Not worth the effort to go back and do it all again in my opinion. Will just randomly play songs again at some point and get the FC indicator that way. Thank god I'm not obsessive about that sort of thing!

I'm really liking the stuff they've put into this patch. Feels more like the game it should've been on release.

Props HMX.

Now please fix the sound.

bobohoro

Oh, expert? No way I'm getting those.

There are quite a few easy gold stars to be had on any instrument. Talkies on Vocals being the foolproof solution.

Looked through my DLC again, with the exepction of some WarpedTour/Roadrunner-Stuff I think I've got most of it now. Some of those leaderboards are pretty barren man, played Conquer All by Behemoth and there were less than 25 people on it for Pro-Drums.

I also have a hard time differntiating between toms and cymbals in RB4, especially on fast songs. They are shaped way too similar and with some weird glow effect, hope they do something about that down the line.

Also tried Brutal Mode. But that's really not that fun without practice mode. Maybe in a couple months.

If anyone wants a semi-decent Hard/Expert Pro-Drummer (and Expert Guitar/Bass if I get my hands on a plastic axe some time, which seems impossible here in Europe) for score-activity-stuff, feel free to add me to your friendlist.

Oh, expert? No way I'm getting those.
Sing "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" on Expert and that'll start you on your way! Or Dead Black, if you're weird I guess :p
The songs are 99-100% talkies, which means you can talk straight through them!

That's how I started the hunger for playing Expert on everything. Singing the absolute easiest songs on Expert and feeling encouraged and excited about Gold Starring/FC'ing.

Promise that with some practice you'll get there!

CloudWolf

Some of those leaderboards are pretty barren man, played Conquer All by Behemoth and there were less than 25 people on it for Pro-Drums.

That's what happens when a game releases with more than a 1000 songs and six different leaderboards for almost every song and the game itself isn't that popular anymore. I wonder what the leaderboards for the Big Dipper songs look like.

Psymatiq

Neo Member
Scores doesnt upload and my whole player stat is reset and doesnt update when i play new songs... how HMX has fallen :/.

I don't what the fuck happened but I'm dropping notes way more than usual after the patch. I could never get the calibration on it quite right for whatever reason but now I don't know what's going on.

I popped in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock and I was happy that every note I missed was because of mistake and not because the game hates me. This must be revenge for how much I complained to the games official Twitter.

vg260

Calibration for this game is ridiculous. It has always been, but it is especially for this one.

After 4 games in this series, why do they still have the stupid visual meter that looks nothing like any UI you use in game? Why can't they have some sort of video calibration tool that resembles the actual track UI so it actually corresponds to the window of error of the in-game track.

I understand how to tweak the video so that you can adjust where the note can be relative to the meter so it still registers, but I have to do that manually and it's incredibly awkward with no real-time tweaking tool and no practice mode. The auto-calibration has never been accurate.

It would be amazing if they just took the idea of that good YouTube video explaining how calibration works so it actually showed you the track and indicators of where the hit zone was in real time based on your setting with out audio, and then once you have that let's you tweak the audio realtime.

Would it be that difficult to give us a real-time in game tweaking tool on an in-game note highway? Just let a repeating series of notes run down the highway with both no audio showing the "hitbox" indicators, and then with audio, and let us adjust on the fly with the d-pad for each.

DagsJT

Is it just me or does the game reset the Freestyle Solo option when restarting the game? Twice I've turned it off and played the game but switched it off and back on only to find it ticked again.

BrokenBox

I don't what the fuck happened but I'm dropping notes way more than usual after the patch. I could never get the calibration on it quite right for whatever reason but now I don't know what's going on.

I popped in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock and I was happy that every note I missed was because of mistake and not because the game hates me. This must be revenge for how much I complained to the games official Twitter.

Guessing you re-calibrated post-patch, too, right? I know they mentioned you would have to do so for things to be accurate. I played about two songs yesterday after re-calibrating without noticing blatant drops. I'll probably re-calibrate one more time to see if the numbers match up.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck is up with the crowd singalong in Pretty Fly lol. They're totally out of sync during the end, fucked me up big time.

Calibration was fine for me before and after the patch, the mic also barely lags now. But yeah it's ridiculous that there's no easier, fail-proof way to porperly calibrate everything.

The calibration feels way better for me, post patch. I am no longer dropping random notes on fast-strumming sections, and can actually hold a combo for a change.

Bauer91

There are quite a few easy gold stars to be had on any instrument. Talkies on Vocals being the foolproof solution.

Looked through my DLC again, with the exepction of some WarpedTour/Roadrunner-Stuff I think I've got most of it now. Some of those leaderboards are pretty barren man, played Conquer All by Behemoth and there were less than 25 people on it for Pro-Drums.

I also have a hard time differntiating between toms and cymbals in RB4, especially on fast songs. They are shaped way too similar and with some weird glow effect, hope they do something about that down the line.

Also tried Brutal Mode. But that's really not that fun without practice mode. Maybe in a couple months.

If anyone wants a semi-decent Hard/Expert Pro-Drummer (and Expert Guitar/Bass if I get my hands on a plastic axe some time, which seems impossible here in Europe) for score-activity-stuff, feel free to add me to your friendlist.

Are you playing on PS4? Last I've heard the leaderboards didn't work in the European version of the game on PS4.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I was looking on the rockband 4 site for more info on the exporting for rockband 3 when i noticed this page about updating firmware for the drums.
http://www.rockband4.com/how-to-firmware/

Figured id drop it here because I had no idea they have you update the drums via a PC. Maybe it'll help with dropped notes.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
if any of you are competing in the brutal mode challenge, be warned, the competition is INSANE. I gave up after comparing my scores on 3 songs.

CloudWolf

Okay, Brutal Mode is pretty awesome on vocals.

On guitar I can't play it for shit, unless the song I'm playing has a lot of chords.

Also, I've got slightly better at Nevermore. I got an impressive 92K and 71% hit (lol). Seriously though, I'm slowly getting good at those verses.

if any of you are competing in the brutal mode challenge, be warned, the competition is INSANE. I gave up after comparing my scores on 3 songs.

Yeah, there's a guy on the subreddit that proudly posted his first crimson stars in Brutal Mode.... it was Metropolis Pt.1 on guitar. Jesus christ, people.

jond76

Banned
So someone just got me this for Christmas!

And gave it to me early because apparently it requires downloads and my internets suck. :p

Just to be clear: Over the years of Rock Band I've likely dropped around 200 dollars on songs, I will still have access to them right?

As long as they are in the same ecosystem (Xbox, PS)

After the update with the calibration, it seems like it got better for me. Also tried a couple of songs in Brutal mode, and I actually enjoyed it. Just want the RB3 export to hurry up.

Just to be clear: Over the years of Rock Band I've likely dropped around 200 dollars on songs, I will still have access to them right?

Some of them aren't available at this time or otherwise have issues, mainly delisted songs and the exports for 1, 2, and Lego. You will be entitled to those songs eventually, however.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Figured that would be the case, so not going to bother. But man, free year of DLC sounds awesome.

I didn't even care about the award, I just really wanted to fly out and see the HMX hq! haha

Yeah, there's a guy on the subreddit that proudly posted his first crimson stars in Brutal Mode.... it was Metropolis Pt.1 on guitar. Jesus christ, people.

Someone FC'd one of the songs. So I decided to do some snooping and find out how that was possible, saw the guy's profile and they are a prominent score hero user, with a bunch of full game FCs to beat.

Oh well, to be fair I was never going to pass Dead Black (Heart of Ice) without no fail mode, or freestyle solos :p

bobohoro

Yeah, that's the same thing I have in mind ever since seeing the calibration video on YT eons ago. It can't be that hard, or am I totally out of my mind?

Tried auto calibration after the patch, as well as manual. Both were hilariously off. Now I'm somewhere around 105/175 (about +30 from RB3) and it feels somewhat decent, although not quite comfortable.

Are you playing on PS4? Last I've heard the leaderboards didn't work in the European version of the game on PS4.

Wait what?

They don't work at all on EU PSN accounts actually, even with an american game

WTF!
I thought they were just updating once a day or something, which sucks but is somewhat workable. That they are downright fucked is a real downer.

vg260

Yeah, that's the same thing I have in mind ever since seeing the calibration video on YT eons ago. It can't be that hard, or am I totally out of my mind?

For calibrating, what I'm doing first is using a song with very slow moving notes,or dropping to easy so they move as slow as possible down the highway. I turn down the volume, and then strum as fast as I can and seeing where the note activates. If it looks too early before the colored note line, soon I'll go back to options and tweak the lag number until I feel like it's hitting reasonably within the bar with a little leeway before and after.

Once that's set, I'm playing with audio and trying to find the right number where the audio fels like it's hitting the right spot. It just takes a hack of a long time. An hour or so later, I still haven't nailed it.

Surely they could develop an automated approximation of this instead of that stupid oscillating meter. It makes so much more sense visually to use the in-game highway to judge.

bobohoro

For calibrating, what I'm doing first is using a song with very slow moving notes,or dropping to easy so they move as slow as possible down the highway. I turn down the volume, and then strum as fast as I can and seeing where the note activates. If it looks too early before the colored note line, soon I'll go back to options and tweak the lag number until I feel like it's hitting reasonably within the bar with a little leeway before and after.

The problem with that approach is that fast HoPos and tripletts seem to mess with the hitboxes, so that you don't even want to have them perfectly set up. At least that's what it always feels like to me. Rock Band never seemed quite right for me in terms of note detection, the GH games always felt better, even taking the bigger timing window into account. Might be the engine, might be my mind playing tricks on me because I'm not as good at the game as I think I am. :O

vg260

The problem with that approach is that fast HoPos and tripletts seem to mess with the hitboxes, so that you don't even want to have them perfectly set up. At least that's what it always feels like to me. Rock Band never seemed quite right for me in terms of note detection, the GH games always felt better, even taking the bigger timing window into account. Might be the engine, might be my mind playing tricks on me because I'm not as good at the game as I think I am. :O

Hm, what do you suggest then in terms of where the hit box is for the note compared to the colored bar? Do you want them so that the hitbox is balanced around the middle of the colored section or if strumming rapidly in this test that the bottom of the note activates just as it touches the colored bar?

Do we know by now if VR is coming to RB4 on PS4 or is that something separate/Oculus exclusive?

On the PS experience they had a list of developers that support PSVR and Harmonix was on there, but that could also be for Amplitude I guess.

Kolma

Do we know by now if VR is coming to RB4 on PS4 or is that something separate/Oculus exclusive?

On the PS experience they had a list of developers that support PSVR and Harmonix was on there, but that could also be for Amplitude I guess.

I'd much rather play Amplitude in VR than Rock Band

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, how about we get some gamertags in here? I only got one friend who plays this (and really doesn't).
PSN ID is Clown_im_OP

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I dont get why for visual calibrations dont they just a note highway with simple notes to play. Makes more sense than the stupid needle going either side

HMX is making.a VR music visualizer for PS4. Rock Band VR is exclusive to Oculus, unfortunately

Top Bottom