• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

So I was just combing through the AMA and I'm curious...is there any way to still qualify for exporting the setlists from the old games if I don't already own them? Like, can I buy sealed copies on Amazon and export them? Would be a nice way to pad out RB4 when I get it and there's some classics in the old games that I'd love to replay!

FWIW, I owned RB 1-3 on 360 and would be buying RB4 on PS4, which is why I'm interested in this.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Awww shit here we go, give me that Journey and Metallica.
neuebitmap56ws0n.png

Well, since I'm never buying a 360 again, I guess it's time to sell my keys on ebay or just toss them in the garbage. It may end being the latter since Rock Band instruments are a bitch to ship.

Or maybe Craigs List or Goodwill would be better options.
Don't throw them in the garbage! My keys are slightly broken and it would pain my heart to see them being disposed instead of passed on.

Give them to Goodwill, at the very least ;-;

FyreWulff

FYI, the keys are a great starter MIDI keyboard. Get a MIDItoUSB cable and you can use your Rock Band keys to play around on your PC.

The TD-11 series has standard MIDI out, and I think the TD-15 kits have been discontinued. If they ever decided to make dedicated PS4/Xbox One MIDI Pro Adapters I suspect they'd have to add USB input, but I don't see it happening.

Pretty sure the TD-4 does too? Street price is not much more than the TD-1KV, though it doesn't come with a kick or hi-hat pedal as far as I know (which appears to be par for the course on more expensive kits).

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph5RbMbW73k

MIDI!

results may vary depending on the quality of your soundbank
B-but I thought all we do here is complain about pretend playing.
Pretty sure the TD-4 does too? Street price is not much more than the TD-1KV, though it doesn't come with a kick or hi-hat pedal as far as I know (which appears to be par for the course on more expensive kits).
The TD-4 has been long discontinued though. But yes, that one has MIDI-out.

Day 2 of EU PS4 Rock Band 3 export watch

Still waiting for the rest of the RB3 DLC. I can't even feel feelings anymore on the matter.

Right order for exports though. RB1 is my favourite setlist and the fact that I'm one Soundgarden song off completion is annoying me.

Don't throw them in the garbage! My keys are slightly broken and it would pain my heart to see them being disposed instead of passed on.

Give them to Goodwill, at the very least ;-;

Goodwill's are usually full of plastic video game instruments. There's a bunch of DJ Hero controllers at every one I go to. I feel like I'd be adding to that graveyard. :/

I'm just annoyed because I bought those keys for around $150. I was living in Korea when RB3 came out and the only place in Seoul selling them was the import game market at Yongsan with jacked-up prices. And then I barely played them...

Of course, this is all "sunk cost" fallacy, as that money is never coming back. Brand new keys sell for around $25 ($45 WITH the game!) on eBay. Used obviously sells for less so it's probably not worth the hassle to ship them and get a little bit of money back.

Anybody not seen a single track of new dlc that they actually like? Cause this sucks lol. "Oh hey look The Weeknd...oh."

Should have been Tell Your Friends. Too bad everybody was fucking in the entire song.

Anybody not seen a single track of new dlc that they actually like? Cause this sucks lol. "Oh hey look The Weeknd...oh."

Should have been Tell Your Friends. Too bad everybody was fucking in the entire song.
At least half of the DLC packs have had songs I like. Although this week and the other off the chart pack was bleh.

I mean Cowboys From Hell was at least a ton of fun and a sick song. Loved the metal pack but haven't bought it just yet.

vg260

FYI, the keys are a great starter MIDI keyboard. Get a MIDItoUSB cable and you can use your Rock Band keys to play around on your PC.

Are there any programs that simulate a piano with the keyboard detected as a controller using a 360 wireless adapter?

I am really not understanding the RB1, 2 and 3 exports.

In the past I had exported all the songs from RB 1 and 2 into RB3.

Was there a new export I needed to purchase for RB4? Or if you already exported songs into RB3, are you good to go?

Was there a new export I needed to purchase for RB4? Or if you already exported songs into RB3, are you good to go?

You're good to go for RB1 and 2. Rock Band 3 export in Rock Band 4 requires a $15 fee.

vg260

For the exports that expired, does that mean you can't buy the export anymore even if you had the manual code?

I don't remember what it was for, really, if that's even how it worked but I think I have an extra disc copy I might give to someone if it would still be possible.

I did all the exports for myself ages ago, so I don't remember the logistics.

If you exported songs into RB3, you're good, but will probably have to pay for an export key per game once it's available. The RB3 export is $15 and they determine that you owned it in some way based on the profile you used to play it on 360/PS3. I don't know if it's lenient enough that it just checks that you've played the game or if there's some other criteria. I had a digital copy of RB3 for 360, which I assume made it super-easy for them to see that I owned the game. People seem to be doing just fine with having owned physical copies though.

Either way, you can't buy the export key until the export is available for Xbone/PS4, so you're fine.

So far the news most important to me is that practice mode won't be in the game until at least February. I've turned no-fail mode on so I no longer care as much, but dear lord I don't know how I'm going to figure out that awful Dream Theater song without it. I'll probably just take a bathroom break if it ever comes up in a set again.

For the exports that expired, does that mean you can't buy the export anymore even if you had the manual code?

I don't remember what it was for, really, if that's even how it worked but I think I have an extra disc copy I might give to someone if it would still be possible.

I did all the exports for myself ages ago, so I don't remember the logistics.
RB1: You buy a separate export key from the store and use it in-game to extract the songs to the hard drive. For RB4 all you'll need is that export key, which is no longer available for purchase.
RB2: The back of the manual contains a code which was used in the store as access to 20 free songs (expired) and in the RB3 store to access the purchase of the export. That has also expired.
RB3: If you've played RB3 online it should be available to access through the RB4 store. This is still available, naturally.
LRB: The manual has a code which when used in the console store downloads a key. That key is used in LRB which is used to purchase the export. The code on the back of the manual to get the key no longer works, however last time I checked if you're on a console with the key downloaded you can still purchase the export for another account. Last time I checked this was a few months ago on a UK PS3, so your milage may vary.
Track Packs: The back of the manual contains a code. Put it in the store, it'll work on the current gen consoles eventually.

Zerot

Neo Member
If you exported songs into RB3, you're good, but will probably have to pay for an export key per game once it's available..

If you exported 1, 2, Lego, Green Day, or the track packs into RB3, you will not have to pay a fee to get those songs into Rock Band 4.

I really love how Harmonix is being transparent right now with what they plan on doing. I can't believe that online might be coming back. I thought that was for sure dead.

Oh and the rest of the exports next month!!!

Keys and Pro instruments are never coming back. Let it go.

Oh, look who was right. :p

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
EU PSN blog says it's up today but I'll be damned if I can find it.

It isn't even in the game under "Get More Songs".
They said something like "it's basically 100% ready, we're just running final tests now". So I guess it will go up any minute now...

...any minute

If you exported songs into RB3, you're good, but will probably have to pay for an export key per game once it's available. The RB3 export is $15 and they determine that you owned it in some way based on the profile you used to play it on 360/PS3. I don't know if it's lenient enough that it just checks that you've played the game or if there's some other criteria. I had a digital copy of RB3 for 360, which I assume made it super-easy for them to see that I owned the game. People seem to be doing just fine with having owned physical copies though.

Either way, you can't buy the export key until the export is available for Xbone/PS4, so you're fine.
My local Goodwill is nothing but clothes, which is lame. Especially since I don't like buying used clothing (also because my fashion sense is nowhere near what Goodwill offers).

Oh, look who was right. :p
I'm not saying it was going to happen! More like I want it to happen and I'm a grumpy grump about it not happening. I'm as salty as Gamefaqs atm and at least I have the self awareness to admit that!

I'll tell you what though, at least SCEE still haven't changed the sale price of old DLC.

I forgot I didn't own Black Sabbath 01 so I bought it for £1.69.

Edit: This jame seriously cannot decide whether it wants to work or not. One song I can get through fine if not with a couple of long notes cancelling early (fret issue, not hardware) and then button just stop being recognised for a couple of seconds and the calibration completely dies (again not hardware, been playing the old Guitar Hero's absolutely perfectly with no calibration)

vg260

Q: Will a Rock Band Blitz -ish mode be added to the game? Would love to play without instruments occasionally. It might bring some more people into Rock Band as well.

A: It's not impossible, but we have nothing to announce at this time. :)

"nothing to announce" and a smiley is a good sign.

repeater

So do you guys find the input lag between the different instruments can vary a lot? After getting my RB4 Band in a box today, I've calibrated it (Guitar autocalibration+some small manual tweaks) and playing guitar feels pretty good now, but the drums can't be right because I'm dropping quite a lot of notes even on fairly straightforward easy songs.

Also, does the firmware update for the drums make any noticeable difference?

bobohoro

"No, the musical rights stuff for RBN is actually already solved. When we ported the 360 songs to PS3 we figured out a system for making sure we had all appropriate rights to re-release tracks."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/c...armonix_here_to_talk_about_the_future/cxzu54y

RBN would be so awesome.
I miss stuff like Dillinger Escape Plan, more Between the Buried And Me or the good Mastodon songs.

So do you guys find the input lag between the different instruments can vary a lot? After getting my RB4 Band in a box today, I've calibrated it (Guitar autocalibration+some small manual tweaks) and playing guitar feels pretty good now, but the drums can't be right because I'm dropping quite a lot of notes even on fairly straightforward easy songs.

The difference between my E-Drums and my Beatles Hofner Bass was ~50ms. Haven't tested it after the patch though.

Drums are shit pre firmware update. You can't do rolls on the drum pads without it.It detects about half the hits on rolls if you play out of the box.

SFenton

RB1: You buy a separate export key from the store and use it in-game to extract the songs to the hard drive. For RB4 all you'll need is that export key, which is no longer available for purchase.
RB2: The back of the manual contains a code which was used in the store as access to 20 free songs (expired) and in the RB3 store to access the purchase of the export. That has also expired.
RB3: If you've played RB3 online it should be available to access through the RB4 store. This is still available, naturally.
LRB: The manual has a code which when used in the console store downloads a key. That key is used in LRB which is used to purchase the export. The code on the back of the manual to get the key no longer works, however last time I checked if you're on a console with the key downloaded you can still purchase the export for another account. Last time I checked this was a few months ago on a UK PS3, so your milage may vary.
Track Packs: The back of the manual contains a code. Put it in the store, it'll work on the current gen consoles eventually.

If that somehow were to work on 360 I might have to look for someone to nab that export for me...

repeater

Drums are shit pre firmware update. You can't do rolls on the drum pads without it.It detects about half the hits on rolls if you play out of the box.
Thanks for your answer! I will have to make it a priority to update the firmware then. :) This is in a way good news since it might mean that my calibration isn't that far off for drums either.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Btw I saw a quote on the HMX forums somewhere (can't link atm) concerning the PSN EU export that "it's a matter of hours or days, but most definitely this week".

Lol

IBitePrettyHard said recently on a Twitch stream that the RB4 drums have issues that firmware can't fix. It can't do 32nd notes properly at all.

vg260

online mode:

Q: Hey there! I was just wondering if Online play was at all in any sort of planning or development? Many thanks for the response!

A: Planning, yes. Development, not yet. Keep an eye out for the survey!

Q: Sweet! That gives me hope that it could come within the next three or four months or so.

A: There's a zero percent chance that anything will be out within 3-4 months. Even if it was our #1 priority right now, that would be a stretch, and we have other things we want to get to first. We don't have any sort of timeline on when (or even if) we'll be releasing online functionality.

Top Bottom