• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Is there a way to disable Freestyle Guitar Solos?? I don't like it very much...
Yes! Just pause in the middle of a song and go to options. Should be an option to turn them off.

Shame they're default on, since whenever I have someone over I don't realize I left them on until it's too late and they're saying "OH NO GET IT AWAY"

MrNelson

Banned
Is there a way to disable Freestyle Guitar Solos?? I don't like it very much...

You can either turn them off in the options menu or press left or right on the guitar's d-pad to toggle it. I know on PS4 if you are using a legacy guitar you need to do this each time you hit the PS button.

You can either turn them off in the options menu or press left or right on the guitar's d-pad to toggle it. I know on PS4 if you are using a legacy guitar you need to do this each time you hit the PS button.

Yes! Just pause in the middle of a song and go to options. Should be an option to turn them off.

Shame they're default on, since whenever I have someone over I don't realize I left them on until it's too late and they're saying "OH NO GET IT AWAY"

Thank you :)

jtb

Banned
Looks like these aren't making it over, based on what's populated in the XB1 shop. A couple surprises but mostly what I expected:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive
Iron Maiden - Run for the Hills
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz

The export also includes 4 of the 13 bonus songs - aren't some of the rest of those part of the free 30 pack?

pleasantly shocked Gimme Shelter seems like it will make it through (if I'm reading this correctly?)

unless I'm mistaken, Gimme Shelter is literally the only Rolling Stones song that's ever made it into Rock Band, no? shame the rights must be absurdly expensive but at least they managed to get the greatest song ever in before packing it in

GamerJM

Banned
Shows Mode has been made less... well, awful, but I'm still not touching it. It completely goes against the spirit of Rock Band parties and I find it really infuriating for solo play.

Also I'm not a huge leaderboard chaser but I am incredibly unhappy with this news. I know it's for the best, but man, I can't catch a break for this game.

Wait, what's wrong with Shows mode? I think it's great.

pleasantly shocked Gimme Shelter seems like it will make it through (if I'm reading this correctly?)

unless I'm mistaken, Gimme Shelter is literally the only Rolling Stones song that's ever made it into Rock Band, no? shame the rights must be absurdly expensive but at least they managed to get the greatest song ever in before packing it in
It's weird, particularly with the fact that we had a fair few songs in Guitar Hero series and Activision weren't bragging about exclusivity. It's just one of those things, like the lack of Muse beyond Hysteria.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Q: Which exploits did you fix?
A: Lots:

Several bugs in which guitar solos repeated, allowing extra points to be earned across instruments

Does this mean I can play Still of the Night again? That guitar solo has been busted since day one.

GamerJM

Banned
Doesn't star power carry over from song to song?

Why is this a bad thing? Unless you're super hardcore into maximizing scores. I don't see the problem it presents for party play or why it would make things infuriating for single player, just that the scoring system is a little fucked up because of it.

Rodeo Clown

Why is this a bad thing? Unless you're super hardcore into maximizing scores. I don't see the problem it presents for party play or why it would make things infuriating for single player, just that the scoring system is a little fucked up because of it.

Because as someone that is very into maximizing quickplay scores, I don't want my scores on the same leaderboard as someone that is starting with a streak and star power already. It's not the same thing, we're not playing the same game here.

Looks like these aren't making it over, based on what's populated in the XB1 shop. A couple surprises but mostly what I expected:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive
Iron Maiden - Run for the Hills
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz

The export also includes 4 of the 13 bonus songs - aren't some of the rest of those part of the free 30 pack?
Some of the folks on Harmonix's message board have pointed out that:

Blue Öyster Cult - "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"
The Konks - "29 Fingers"
Jet - "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
Sweet - "Ballroom Blitz"
Ramones - "Blitzkrieg Bop"

(and Black Hole Son, although that could be a special case again)

...are also the first songs alphabetically from the RB1-era stuff, and that those songs being M.I.A. in the store at the moment could be related to that.

FyreWulff

I don't have the link on hand, but people during that AMA were asking why the carryover was in Shows mode, and they responded that Shows used to be a lot different, and that the OD/multiplier carryover was basically a vestigial remain of that version of Shows (and also why the "HELLO BOSTON!" stuff was cut). So they're basically getting rid of that last leftover. Wouldn't be surprised if it comes back via another mode.

People asked them to make it so carryover could be toggled or removed because they stayed away from Shows because they wanted to post leaderboards, and now they have.

And the leaderboard wipe is due to a bunch of exploit glitches. Better to do it now than later. People were begging for leaderboard wipes in earlier Rock Bands but those never came (because MS/Sony made it hard to do so)

I still have an accidentally glitched #1 on Sitting on the Dock of the Bay in RB3 (drums) that I wish I could have removed.

So wait, do my gold stars, and FC's stay whilst the scores are wiped? FCing a hard song and then going back to replay it only to have a potentially worse performance replace my better stats on the song select list will really discourage players from playing harder songs again.

Rodeo Clown

So wait, do my gold stars, and FC's stay whilst the scores are wiped? FCing a hard song and then going back to replay it only to have a potentially worse performance replace my better stats on the song select list will really discourage players from playing harder songs again.

You'll still have all your scores, stars, percentages locally, but your score will be wiped from the online leaderboard. So I don't really see any reason to play this game until the next patch.

FyreWulff

gold stars and FC laurels are staying. it's the score itself being wiped.

they also mention this update will add a tech upgrade to let them wipe specific songs.

dat der legacy bugs:

"Fixed solo bonus carryover when pausing immediately after an authored solo. Affects songs with multiple solos on a single part, where earlier solos are worth more bonus points than later solos. Affects guitar, bass, and drums. This bug has existed since RB2. "

Wait, what's wrong with Shows mode? I think it's great.
For solo play, I like having 100% control over what I play at all times. I never want to play a random song. As for why I like Guitar Hero TV, Guitar Hero Live, to me, is less about the music and more about the music experience.

For party play it's a bit more complicated. I have hosted Rock Band parties for approximately 7 years. I've attended Rock Band events with random strangers. And not once in my history of the genre did a single person ask to vote for a song or picking a random song that nobody knows. (I've been asked for a setlist only once in my 7 year history with parties but they instantly regretted it and we quit out of it instantly).

I have boiled the Rock Band party to a science, as I believe all parties are a culmination of science and art.

1. Singers always pick song.
2. After every song, singer offers to give up singing to anyone. Rotation of other instruments is encouraged.
3. New singer volunteers or previous singer stays on.
4. Scroll through song list to find song that they want to play.
5. In the shuffle from transitioning and scrolling through the song list, people have the chance to socialize, check phones, go "OH MY GOD THAT SONG LET'S PLAY IT", etc

The thing is from my experience, voting goes entirely against that principle. Singing is the most important piece of the party puzzle and easily the hardest to get right. What happens when a song is voted and the singer doesn't know it? What if no one knows it? Granted, I know every song in my library, but if I'm going to sing the entire time I might as well just play by myself. Also nobody likes it when they get their hopes up for a song choice and it doesn't get picked and is shown visibly that nobody is interested in their pick.

As a party host, it is my responsibility to maximize enjoyment out of all of my guests. Having a curve of people getting their hopes up and being disappointed provides the wrong tone I want to set for my parties. Having to have people play multiple songs in a row prevents people from socializing, taking a break, and having agency in their song choices. My system is designed so that people are encouraged to choose to sing, which people are usually insecure to do in a huge party, because they get to pick the song. And the system is designed so people can have multiple looks at the library and yell out songs they want to play. Not only is this my system, but it's also eerily similar to the events I've personally attended.

So my feelings on Shows Mode is that it's less bad and more designed to not appeal to standard socializing, which to me makes it feel pointless. I'm certain other people use it for enjoyment, but it will never see play in my parties.

FyreWulff

That's the way you like to do it. Our Rock Band parties have never used the "only singer chooses", and while that works for you, being able to just sort of vote for a song is much better than 8 minutes of setlist scrolling or the same five songs being played over and over again.

Also, they clarified that you'll no longer be able to turn guitar freestyles on and off mid-song as of this patch (because it lead to so many exploits). That function may or may not come back later, apparently.

Oh so my personal star and accuracy tracking on the song select screen will be intact? Just not the leaderboard scores, stars and accuracy. I'm fine with that!

GamerJM

Banned
That's the way you like to do it. Our Rock Band parties have never used the "only singer chooses", and while that works for you, being able to just sort of vote for a song is much better than 8 minutes of setlist scrolling or the same five songs being played over and over again.

Yeah I agree. The other alternative we did was just pick random, which worked well, but that posed that problem in RB3 where if someone was playing keys then the game would only choose random songs that had a keyboard part (even though the keys player was fine playing guitar or bass for songs that didn't have a keyboard part), though I guess this wouldn't be a problem here since RB4 doesn't have keys. Additionally we would have ended up playing songs that we didn't like all that much through random. Voting eliminates this.

I also like Shows mode for SP because I do like playing random songs as a music experience. I'm more into other rhythm games for the maximizing my score shit, like Bemani games. Rock Band songs are too long for me to consistently be able to FC without lots of frustration, I usually choke a few times here and there, plus without a grading system for each individual note there's not a lot of wiggle room for improving your score outside of Overdrive.

Though Cipher that makes sense for you, so thanks for the explanation.

So is the in game song store not being able to connect an ongoing issue right now? I have had the game about a week and its never worked. Sucked because it's a pain browsing songs on the playstation store.

FyreWulff

also on the random topic, I wish Blitz had true blind random. It will do it if you disconnect from the internet (ie, select Random, and you'll suddenly be in a song), but if you're connected it will always put up the prompt to choose the instrument and note bonuses.

Also, they clarified that you'll no longer be able to turn guitar freestyles on and off mid-song as of this patch (because it lead to so many exploits). That function may or may not come back later, apparently.
Oh definitely!

I tried to phrase it as subjectively as possible without resorting to saying "imo" at the end of every sentence. And the setlist scrolling is a feature! People's attention spans are understandably small! Nobody wants to play two songs back to back. After a song people want to chill, relax, talk, check phones, use bathroom, etc while someone else scrolls.

Though Cipher that makes sense for you, so thanks for the explanation.
You are very welcome! :)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
So whats going on with metallica? Isnt that guitar hero license thing over.

Metallica are also there own publisher of there stuff now.

Is megasus not downloadable? It shows up in store (had it before) won't let me download tho

FyreWulff

So whats going on with metallica? Isnt that guitar hero license thing over.

Metallica are also there own publisher of there stuff now.

Is megasus not downloadable? It shows up in store (had it before) won't let me download tho

We don't know what's up with Metallica. Activision could be keeping the license, but Harmonix also mentioned the band becoming their own label doesn't help either since they can become too busy to work out agreements.

We don't know what's up with Metallica. Activision could be keeping the license, but Harmonix also mentioned the band becoming their own label doesn't help either since they can become too busy to work out agreements.

I don't think either of them have the license atm. I wouldn't be surprised if Metallica is asking for insane amounts of money, or another exclusive game.

jtb

Banned
speaking of bands that are never coming to Rock Band, is the Guns N Roses dream deader than dead?

welcome to the jungle, e3 2007 #neverforget

Edag88

Banned
I think my Rock Band 2 drums are finally dead...

Keeps flashing to sync then synced, flashing to sync then synced. Over and over.

So when are we supposed to get new drum kits standalone for 4?

So you're basically getting the game, a guitar, and a mic for free with purchase of a drum kit?

As stated above, if you don't care about the cymbals, yes.

Another couple things to consider: That pre-order from Madcatz probably isn't shipping until January, whereas you can pick up the bundle right now. Also, that Best Buy price is a sale price that probably only lasts until Saturday or Sunday (and it's even cheaper if you have GCU. As a matter of fact, you could pay for GCU when you buy this and still come out having saved $10).

CloudWolf

speaking of bands that are never coming to Rock Band, is the Guns N Roses dream deader than dead?

welcome to the jungle, e3 2007 #neverforget
Maybe. Rumor has it that Axl and Slash buried the hatchet, so more GNR stuff might be possible.

chunk3rvd

Regarding exports - did Americans get the 20 free songs that came with RB2 transferred over to RB4? In Europe we got a different selection - we got Track Pack 2 as our free DLC and it looks like this hasn't carried over yet. Has track pack 2 carried over to RB4 yet for anyone that bought the disc version and exported it into RB2/3 via code? Want to play Rio on bass again!

CloudWolf

Regarding exports - did Americans get the 20 free songs that came with RB2 transferred over to RB4? In Europe we got a different selection - we got Track Pack 2 as our free DLC and it looks like this hasn't carried over yet. Has track pack 2 carried over to RB4 yet for anyone that bought the disc version and exported it into RB2/3 via code? Want to play Rio on bass again!

Huh, what? No we didn't. Unless this was different for PS3 or something, but I had the 20 free songs with Prequel to the Sequel, Bounce, Like a Fool, etc.

Shows Mode has been made less... well, awful, but I'm still not touching it. It completely goes against the spirit of Rock Band parties and I find it really infuriating for solo play.

Also I'm not a huge leaderboard chaser but I am incredibly unhappy with this news. I know it's for the best, but man, I can't catch a break for this game.

I feel the complete opposite Play a Show is the best mode for Rock Band parties, scrolling through a setlist is slow and usually leads to the same songs being overplayed. Voting makes it more fun as well and let's everyone get involved

chunk3rvd

Huh, what? No we didn't. Unless this was different for PS3 or something, but I had the 20 free songs with Prequel to the Sequel, Bounce, Like a Fool, etc.

Must have been an EU PS3 thing since we got the game much later than 360 owners. I got the 20 song pack that included Snow, Message in a Bottle, Rio and This Ain't a Scene when I redeemed the code on my manual

DCS

Banned
Must have been an EU PS3 thing since we got the game much later than 360 owners. I got the 20 song pack that included Snow, Message in a Bottle, Rio and This Ain't a Scene when I redeemed the code on my manual
Nope, we got the same stuff as the US.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did Harmonix ever patch the drum issue that was plaguing people on day one?

I'm considering jumping on the BB deal with GCU but since drums are my main, I need to know this.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
with the variable break neck speed now, what did it use to get set to before ?

Top Bottom