• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

CloudWolf

They warned that there may be some weeks without DLC because they're pushing out all exports in January, so this is probably one of those weeks.

I bought the RB3 export and I'm so glad I did.

Can't wait to have RB1 and RB2 in my collection as well. I'm going to have so many damn songs.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Did they announce the RB3 export ahead of time?
It was always "around the December 8th update" and then "later today". Since the date given for the other exports was January, I guess we'll know on the actual day they get released. I guess they don't want to promise anything too far in advance, with everything that can go wrong.

FyreWulff

Don't expect the export this week. They said not releasing DLC was to give them more work-hours to work on the exports, so it doesn't specifically mean an export is coming out the week there's no DLC.

cabot

I'm trying to buy the Xbox legacy adapter from MadCatz EU store, this website is an absolute nightmare.

It kept rejecting the payment because it was paying in euros, then when I finally got it to GBP, the country/state dropdown lists are both in german, and now the payment fails again.

I can only assume its because of the billing address containing the GB in german and its contrasting with my record from the banks. Customer support tells me it's been raised as an issue for the tech team. I long for the GH3 controllers.

I've not witnessed a site this bad in at least a couple of years, why is it the only place to get the legacy adapter on its own?

I'm trying to buy the Xbox legacy adapter from MadCatz EU store, this website is an absolute nightmare.

It kept rejecting the payment because it was paying in euros, then when I finally got it to GBP, the country/state dropdown lists are both in german, and now the payment fails again.

I can only assume its because of the billing address containing the GB in german and its contrasting with my record from the banks. Customer support tells me it's been raised as an issue for the tech team. I long for the GH3 controllers.

I've not witnessed a site this bad in at least a couple of years, why is it the only place to get the legacy adapter on its own?

Yep, it's awful, I put my order in a couple of hours ago. I had to change my region AND go back to the main store selection and choose 'Great Britain' again and then things went ok.

Just bought this game about an hour ago for £50, played 3 songs and I hate it. What's the appeal to this game because I really wanna like it but I can't find myself enjoying it.

Have you played other Rock Band/Guitar Hero games before? What specifically do you hate?

Yeah I've played every single one of them. Spent hundreds of hours ( and a lot of money) on DLC. Bought all the older Guitar Heros etc and play expert on all songs fine, but this game....it's just stale as hell. Fair enough I've never been a fan of how tight the HO/POs are on Rock Band, but even on Rock Band 1 and 3 one I got a lot of enjoyment out of them too.

So much of the original games have been cut for some weird reason. Just doesn't feel near the £50s worth (also bought the Legacy adapter). Bought some DLC already though.
Maybe I'm burned out of the series?

Kolma

Yeah I've played every single one of them. Spent hundreds of hours ( and a lot of money) on DLC. Bought all the older Guitar Heros etc and play expert on all songs fine, but this game....it's just stale as hell. Fair enough I've never been a fan of how tight the HO/POs are on Rock Band, but even on Rock Band 1 and 3 one I got a lot of enjoyment out of them too.

So much of the original games have been cut for some weird reason. Just doesn't feel near the £50s worth (also bought the Legacy adapter). Bought some DLC already though.

Sounds to me like you are enjoying something else that isn't the core gameplay.

Maybe I'm burned out of the series?
I agree that it feels stale, but the one bright star IMO is freestyle solos. Make sure you do both tutorials for it. Depending on the song, it can be fun as hell.

Also, create a band and go on tour. It's not as fun as past iterations but it's something you can progress in.

Downloaded more songs, found hyperspeed and turned off that awful freestyle mode.

Now the game is worth playing, but it's not worth £50 at all. Should've been a budget title.

I agree that it feels stale, but the one bright star IMO is freestyle solos. Make sure you do both tutorials for it. Depending on the song, it can be fun as hell.

Also, create a band and go on tour. It's not as fun as past iterations but it's something you can progress in.

Ah I downloaded The Trooper and got really pissed (which was initial post), since that freestyle solo just destroyed that song. I'll do the band tour tomorrow. Just quick playing for tonight.

Basically this. The gameplay isn't any different (besides the new additions). Sounds like you were having more fun with the features around it. I'm guessing you mostly play solo right?

Downloaded more songs, found hyperspeed and turned off that awful freestyle mode.

Now the game is worth playing, but it's not worth £50 at all. Should've been a budget title.

Yeah, unfortunately it's kind of Rock Band-lite. And back at launch in October it was riddled with technical issues. Luckily the issues that affected me have been patched so I've been able to enjoy it recently. It's just...way overpriced for what it is.

I do like that Harmonix said there will be no current-gen sequels and they will just be enhancing/adding to this game instead.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
One thing that would have been awesome is if this game had those rock power challenges Lego Rock Band had, where on certain songs, certain 'story' cutscenes would play in relation to the actual song. That shit was amazing, yo.

FyreWulff

One thing that would have been awesome is if this game had those rock power challenges Lego Rock Band had, where on certain songs, certain 'story' cutscenes would play in relation to the actual song. That shit was amazing, yo.

I wanted to like those more but it seemed you risked a crash while playing them.

Lego Rock Band was buggy as hell, and had completely fucked audio (the master volume caused constant clipping), which is why I never really played much of my songs via it.

Yeah, unfortunately it's kind of Rock Band-lite. And back at launch in October it was riddled with technical issues. Luckily the issues that affected me have been patched so I've been able to enjoy it recently. It's just...way overpriced for what it is.

I do like that Harmonix said there will be no current-gen sequels and they will just be enhancing/adding to this game instead.

So far I've had my Mic/Singer get stuck while I was doing a solo and on a Megadeth song I've had my Guitarist walk right through the singer with no fucks given. Cool. Game developers be getting lazier.

These HO/POs though :(
I could never get the hang of their HO/POs :(. Guitar Hero just felt right.

So far I've had my Mic/Singer get stuck while I was doing a solo and on a Megadeth song I've had my Guitarist walk right through the singer with no fucks given. Cool. Game developers be getting lazier.

These HO/POs though :(
I could never get the hang of their HO/POs :(. Guitar Hero just felt right.

I don't think anything will ever top GH2. Would love to see the 360 version go backwards compatible someday.

I'm having a tough time deciding between albums: Rust in Peace, Tragic Kingdom, and Axis: Bold as Love. I'm an expert guitar player and I've been doing my research on which one of these is best. Seems like they're all great for guitar. What does Rock Band-GAF think?

PlatStrat

Neo Member
I'm having a tough time deciding between albums: Rust in Peace, Tragic Kingdom, and Axis: Bold as Love. I'm an expert guitar player and I've been doing my research on which one of these is best. Seems like they're all great for guitar. What does Rock Band-GAF think?

I'd say get Rust in Peace and Axis: Bold is Love as they are both very challenging on guitar.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say get Rust in Peace and Axis: Bold is Love as they are both very challenging on guitar.
Rust in Peace infinitely more so imo. Can't wait till we finally get setlists to play that sucker in one go D:

catabarez

Anyone have any experience with GoodWoodMods? I'm looking at getting a Beatles drum set and maybe modifying it if they're worth it.

ElNino

Anyone have any experience with GoodWoodMods? I'm looking at getting a Beatles drum set and maybe modifying it if they're worth it.
I have them on my RB1 drums and they are much better, but I don't have much experience with the newer drum sets (besides RB4). Only downside is they are much louder if you miss and hit the rim, which I would never do of course. ;-)

They are expensive, but for me it came down to buying a new drum set or the Good Woods since my original pads weren't working very well, so I went with the them. It's too bad RB4 doesn't support my RB1 set though as it would have been nice to not need to buy the bundle.

Apologies if this has been asked a ton already (I attempted to use the search function) but I received a new copy of the Rock Band 2 Track Pack 2 today and redeemed the code successfully but all the tracks are still showing as full price in the Xbox Store.

Do I need to do anything special to get it to kick in (i.e. wait like the RB3 export)?

PlatStrat

Neo Member
Apologies if this has been asked a ton already (I attempted to use the search function) but I received a new copy of the Rock Band 2 Track Pack 2 today and redeemed the code successfully but all the tracks are still showing as full price in the Xbox Store.

Do I need to do anything special to get it to kick in (i.e. wait like the RB3 export)?

Track Pack exports aren't working yet I don't think. It'll be fixed after RB1, RB2, and Lego exports are fixed.

catabarez

I have them on my RB1 drums and they are much better, but I don't have much experience with the newer drum sets (besides RB4). Only downside is they are much louder if you miss and hit the rim, which I would never do of course. ;-)

They are expensive, but for me it came down to buying a new drum set or the Good Woods since my original pads weren't working very well, so I went with the them. It's too bad RB4 doesn't support my RB1 set though as it would have been nice to not need to buy the bundle.

I'm pretty sure they are compatible with the RB4 set so you can just switch them over.

Has anything been said about a newer hardware revision for the RB4 drums to address the hardware issues?

Timeaisis

So the RB4 band-in-a-box bundle is $200 on Best Buy. I have a $100 GC from Christmas...so I'm heavily considering it.

I know DLC has taken a while to get here and all, but, as of January 5th, 2015, is this game worth it?

MrNelson

Banned
So the RB4 band-in-a-box bundle is $200 on Best Buy. I have a $100 GC from Christmas...so I'm heavily considering it.

I know DLC has taken a while to get here and all, but, as of January 5th, 2015, is this game worth it?

I would say yes. I got it for $200 at launch thanks to GCU (which you should get if you don't have it already, only $30 for two years and will get you 20% off, making it $190 for the game and GCU). However I already had a ton of dlc and had been drumless for 5 years, so I had a lot to catch up on.

The real question is how much dlc do you already have?

Timeaisis

I would say yes. I got it for $200 at launch thanks to GCU (which you should get if you don't have it already, only $30 for two years and will get you 20% off, making it $190 for the game and GCU). However I already had a ton of dlc and had been drumless for 5 years, so I had a lot to catch up on.

The real question is how much dlc do you already have?

Not a whole lot, but a fair bit I suppose. Also, completely forgot I already have GCU! Damn, this seems really worth it now.

FyreWulff

You're never getting a drumset for 100$ otherwise

MrNelson

Banned
Not a whole lot, but a fair bit I suppose. Also, completely forgot I already have GCU! Damn, this seems really worth it now.

Full band kit for $60 out of pocket is a hell of a deal. Take a look at the on-disc setlist and listen to some of the songs to decide whether or not it may be worth it for you.

Pejo

I picked this up over the weekend, and have been pretty happy with the results so far. I was a huge Rock Band 1/2 fan, but gradually grew out of it as time went on.

Some thoughts:

-Drums and Guitar are super high quality, it feels great playing either.
-Freestyle soloing for guitar is no fun. It takes the fun challenging parts out of most songs and replaces them with a mashfest.
-Freestyle drum fills still don't exist. Hitting activation on Overdrive is still too hard and still makes me drop my streak almost every time for the stupid random notes you have to hit at random times. How'd they mess this up so bad with Freestyle vocals and guitars actually in game?
-Character creator sucks.
-Love the voting between songs
-Redownloading your old DLC is the worst process I could imagine. Why isn't there a way to do this through the XBox store or a "download all purchased DLC" option, or at the very least a sort of "DLC I own" when you're surfing through available songs.
-Song sorting seems somehow worse. I don't remember how the old games did it, but I feel like it takes way longer to get to a specific song now.

Overall, it's nice to play again, but it's going to be a laborious process to get my library back together on my Xbone. I have to admit though, the song selection these days is really amazing. So many bands I never expected to see are on the DLC store now. I can see myself spending some money on songs in the near future.

Every few days my wife asks 'Can I play Maps yet?'

All the same, we got another guitar (with the $80 Amazon deal for guitar + game) and are still enjoying the heck out of this game. I still miss my beloved keyboard support (it was literally the only controller I kept... DAMNIT), but I can't complain about the quality of the instruments, the improved freestyle stuff and having almost my entire song library available (still missing most of the Doors tracks I got via pre-order or whatever that was).

And soon, we'll be able to play Maps again.

MrNelson

Banned
-Redownloading your old DLC is the worst process I could imagine. Why isn't there a way to do this through the XBox store or a "download all purchased DLC" option, or at the very least a sort of "DLC I own" when you're surfing through available songs.

IIRC they tried, but Microsoft and Sony wouldn't give them access to purchase data, so they have no way of knowing who owns what songs.

Pejo

IIRC they tried, but Microsoft and Sony wouldn't give them access to purchase data, so they have no way of knowing who owns what songs.

That makes more sense then, but still even the ability to sort by price so "purchased" would show up all in a row would even be a huge improvement.

MS at the very least wasn't interested in making this process easier, as when I go to Xbox.com, it only lets me download songs to my 360, it never even gives me the option for Xbone.

MrNelson

Banned
That makes more sense then, but still even the ability to sort by price so "purchased" would show up all in a row would even be a huge improvement.

MS at the very least wasn't interested in making this process easier, as when I go to Xbox.com, it only lets me download songs to my 360, it never even gives me the option for Xbone.

From what I can see, the 360 and Xbone songs are different items on the store, so I assume you would need to "purchase" the Xbone versions of the songs in order to download them to your Xbone. I know on Playstation they merged the PS3 and PS4 versions of songs into the same items, doesn't seem to be the case on Xbox. Maybe someone with an Xbox could clarify, but that is just my assumption.

Xis

From earlier in this thread, for XBONE:

Go to My Games and Apps, hover over Rock Band 4 and press start. A menu should pop up and then you need to go to 'Manage Game'. On the right side of your screen it should show 'Ready to Install' and that will list all of your previously purchased songs that are currently available for Rock Band 4 and can be redownloaded free of charge. You can redownload them all by simply pressing 'Install All'.

Added bonus: some songs (for me, Oasis) show up this way that don't show up in the in-game store.

zulux21

alright so question here as my rock band is from the playstation family just want to double check stuff for the xbox family.

rock band 2 drums for the xbox do not have any sort of dongle right?
and the only thing you need for rock band 2 drums to work on rock band 4 is the legacy adapter right?

Top Bottom