• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

FyreWulff

alright so question here as my rock band is from the playstation family just want to double check stuff for the xbox family.

rock band 2 drums for the xbox do not have any sort of dongle right?
and the only thing you need for rock band 2 drums to work on rock band 4 is the legacy adapter right?

yes and yes

What are the odds? My 360 Guitar Hero 3 and World Tour guitars both breaking on the same day...

World Tour guitar won't power up no matter what batteries I put in it, whilst the fret bar on the GH 3 one has stopped registering inputs. Both were working a week ago... sad face.

Going to have to upgrade... only thing is i've never used one of the Rock Band guitars before, are they particularly different to use?

Thanks guys.

What are the odds? My 360 Guitar Hero 3 and World Tour guitars both breaking on the same day...

World Tour guitar won't power up no matter what batteries I put in it, whilst the fret bar on the GH 3 one has stopped registering inputs. Both were working a week ago... sad face.

Going to have to upgrade... only thing is i've never used one of the Rock Band guitars before, are they particularly different to use?

Thanks guys.

Used a RB guitar for the first time with RB4. They feel a bit different - especially the strumbar which doesn't click at all, which is very strange at first - but you get used to it really quickly. I like the RB4 guitar a lot now - it works well, is nice and quiet and feels great to use. Don't worry about it, the change is a lot smoother than people would lead you to believe.

Used a RB guitar for the first time with RB4. They feel a bit different - especially the strumbar which doesn't click at all, which is very strange at first - but you get used to it really quickly. I like the RB4 guitar a lot now - it works well, is nice and quiet and feels great to use. Don't worry about it, the change is a lot smoother than people would lead you to believe.

Thanks for letting me know - it's a funny thing to fret over really but I've been so used to using the GH ones over the years it feels like a massive enforced change that I wouldn't have probably made otherwise!

Amneisac

So I guess buying the adapter and used instruments is the only way to get two guitars (if I have nothing now) without spending a mint, huh? I kind of hate the idea of getting someone else's used instruments, but we gave all our old stuff away a few years ago and I'm not going to drop $~150 for the game and two guitars (and that's if I buy two guitar bundles with GCU and sell off the second game disc sealed for ~$30).

I'm not going to drop $~150 for the game and two guitars (and that's if I buy two guitar bundles with GCU and sell off the second game disc sealed for ~$30).

Might be worth keeping an eye on the prices of the guitars over the next few months, I imagine prices will drop or fluctuate at some point. They usually do with these peripherals. Especially if both of those games don't perform too well, which it looks like they aren't.

Pejo

From earlier in this thread, for XBONE:

Added bonus: some songs (for me, Oasis) show up this way that don't show up in the in-game store.

A little late, but I just wanted to thank you for this info, this will save me a ton of time.

Amneisac

Might be worth keeping an eye on the prices of the guitars over the next few months, I imagine prices will drop or fluctuate at some point. They usually do with these peripherals. Especially if both of those games don't perform too well, which it looks like they aren't.

I'm too weak, I went ahead and bought the full band bundle and an extra guitar + game bundle. Total was $236.90 and I'm hoping I can sell off the extra, new copy of the game disc for ~$30, so basically $200 for the full ensemble isn't terrible, but it's definitely more than I was hoping to spend. Now I'll just have to see what DLC I have available from previous rock bands...

cabot

I instantly remembered why I always preferred the GH3 controllers the first time I played with the RB4 controller. The fret buttons being identical and not spaced really messes with me, the difference in keeping score in songs that have constant button switching is staggering.

Really tight HO/PO sections I can't do at all, so a lot of the harder/metal songs i really lose my way.

I'll have the legacy adapter by the weekend, and I am very happy I'll be able to go back to my sweet fully coloured and spaced fret buttons.

Kolma

I instantly remembered why I always preferred the GH3 controllers the first time I played with the RB4 controller. The fret buttons being identical and not spaced really messes with me, the difference in keeping score in songs that have constant button switching is staggering.

Really tight HO/PO sections I can't do at all, so a lot of the harder/metal songs i really lose my way.

I'll have the legacy adapter by the weekend, and I am very happy I'll be able to go back to my sweet fully coloured and spaced fret buttons.

938.jpg

I want to pick this up once they release the other exports this month.

But the pricing frustrates me a bit.

I have the RB1 instruments (but not two guitars) and want the digital version of RB4.

German prices:

disc = 47€
Guitar = 100€
Guitar + disc = 109€
Instruments bundle + disc = 199€
PSN digital = 60€

Best option for me seems:
digital + guitar-bundle + selling the disc (what could I even get for it, 30€?) = 139€

I could buy digital and use my old guitar until they have better prices on the instruments but I doubt the guitar will go under 40-70€ anytime soon to make that worthwhile...
Also, I want to have two for multiplayer anyway.

My RB1 drums are the most in need for an upgrade as they are pretty shitty, but I'm not willing to pay 90€ just on them (band bundle). They don't seem to be available as standalone yet either and I would only buy them with the cymbals anyway (also not available yet, right?).

In short: Give the digital version a fat discount, damn it.

I want to pick this up once they release the other exports this month.

But the pricing frustrates me a bit.

I have the RB1 instruments (but not two guitars) and want the digital version of RB4.

German prices:

disc = 47€
Guitar = 100€
Guitar + disc = 109€
Instruments bundle + disc = 199€
PSN digital = 60€

Best option for me seems:
digital + guitar-bundle + selling the disc (what could I even get for it, 30€?) = 139€

I could buy digital and use my old guitar until they have better prices on the instruments but I doubt the guitar will go under 40-70€ anytime soon to make that worthwhile...
Also, I want to have two for multiplayer anyway.

My RB1 drums are the most in need for an upgrade as they are pretty shitty, but I'm not willing to pay 90€ just on them (band bundle). They don't seem to be available as standalone yet either and I would only buy them with the cymbals anyway (also not available yet, right?).

In short: Give the digital version a fat discount, damn it.

Heads up, the copy of the game that comes in the bundle doesn't have a barcode on it and it states 'not for resale' so you might struggle to trade/sell it on to another retailer.

I'm also frustrated by the pricing, in the UK it's far cheaper to buy another game+guitar bundle than it is buy a separate guitar. I also find it insane that it's cheaper to buy the whole band in a box than it is buy the drums on their own.

Heads up, the copy of the game that comes in the bundle doesn't have a barcode on it and it states 'not for resale' so you might struggle to trade/sell it on to another retailer.

Thanks, I was wondering if that's the case. Would have split the cost with a buddy I guess and sell it to him.

I think it's in the options in the main menu, maybe under modifiers.

Haven't gotten a chance to check (I don't play drums at home because I gave my kickpedal to a friend), but that's solidly stupid. That would mean it's an all-or-nothing decision, unlike Lefty Mode, choice of Fills, No Fail, etc.

I really hope it was just something that didn't make it to the December Update and is due for January, but I had to ask because I couldn't find it anywhere.

PaulLFC

I got this today and I want to enjoy it - when it works, I do. But either my guitar is defective, or the wireless communication is terrible.

I'm playing a song and besides the odd note I miss, the game isn't registering certain others either - I know I'm hitting them, and the note colour is lit on screen, but it's almost as if the game acts as if I haven't strummed the note, even though I have.

It seems to be much more frequent with down strumming - up strumming seems to hit all or nearly all notes from my very limited tests.

The strange thing is that in menus, moving down by strumming is absolutely fine and the game registers it every single time no matter the speed I hit the strum bar at. It's only when in a track where it starts acting up. I've done calibration about four times now, but it seems to make no difference. I also updated the firmware to the latest and that didn't seem to do anything either.

Really hoping I don't have to send this guitar back, has anyone else had a similar issue? Quite annoyed to be honest given the price of the guitar bundle - even though I got it reduced it was still 50% more than the GH Live bundle cost me - and given all the bad impressions I'd read of the GH guitar, all I experienced was a loose whammy bar - strumming was fine. Really disappointed with the quality of the RB4 guitar.

I got this today and I want to enjoy it - when it works, I do. But either my guitar is defective, or the wireless communication is terrible.

I'm playing a song and besides the odd note I miss, the game isn't registering certain others either - I know I'm hitting them, and the note colour is lit on screen, but it's almost as if the game acts as if I haven't strummed the note, even though I have.

It seems to be much more frequent with down strumming - up strumming seems to hit all or nearly all notes from my very limited tests.

The strange thing is that in menus, moving down by strumming is absolutely fine and the game registers it every single time no matter the speed I hit the strum bar at. It's only when in a track where it starts acting up. I've done calibration about four times now, but it seems to make no difference. I also updated the firmware to the latest and that didn't seem to do anything either.

Really hoping I don't have to send this guitar back, has anyone else had a similar issue? Quite annoyed to be honest given the price of the guitar bundle - even though I got it reduced it was still 50% more than the GH Live bundle cost me - and given all the bad impressions I'd read of the GH guitar, all I experienced was a loose whammy bar - strumming was fine. Really disappointed with the quality of the RB4 guitar.

Both of my guitars work fine, so you might have a defective guitar. What I suggest is to put your own AA batteries in, and see if it works. The ones included with instruments are a bit garbage.

PaulLFC

Both of my guitars work fine, so you might have a defective guitar. What I suggest is to put your own AA batteries in, and see if it works. The ones included with instruments are a bit garbage.
Thanks, I'll give this a go tonight and hope it works!

Edit: A change to better batteries and a re-calibration seems to have fixed it, at least for now. Thanks for the help!

CloudWolf

Sounds like a calibration issue. Do you still have these problems if you play with a different guitar?

PaulLFC

Sounds like a calibration issue. Do you still have these problems if you play with a different guitar?
I don't have a different guitar to test with, unfortunately. I had previous GH/RB games on 360 and then got a PS4, so I had to start over with RB4 and picked up the guitar pack.

Calibration did seem a tiny bit off the last couple of songs I played so I'll go through the setup again and see if I can get it to sync the A/V a bit better.

Does Harmonix ever have any sales on DLC?

What are the chances of them offering something like 50% off across the board for $1 songs? I really just can't bring myself to pay two bucks per song. It's way too much.

What are the chances of them offering something like 50% off across the board for $1 songs? I really just can't bring myself to pay two bucks per song. It's way too much.

They did during the DLC release lull, but it was few and far between.

It's not worth waiting.

They had a sale going on for 3 years. Hopefully you were able to take advantage of the sale.

catabarez

Managed to get some RB2 drums for a decent price. They even came with a couple cymbals! Should be getting them in a few days and I'll probably be getting some GoodWoodMods for them a little later.

FyreWulff

Why would they not sell them individually at least now, I'd easily pay $2 for that Underoath song.

A lot of songs sold on the discs or tied to one of the games are only there because they were via the disc or the game offer. So even if they wanted to, they can't automatically sell any song on the store.

ie ACDC dislikes selling singles, so Let There Be Rock didn't export and will never be on the store. Guitar Hero had the same issue with Turn The Page not exporting from Metallica; Bob Seger also doesn't want to sell singles.

DangerMan

Banned
A lot of songs sold on the discs or tied to one of the games are only there because they were via the disc or the game offer. So even if they wanted to, they can't automatically sell any song on the store.

ie ACDC dislikes selling singles, so Let There Be Rock didn't export and will never be on the store. Guitar Hero had the same issue with Turn The Page not exporting from Metallica; Bob Seger also doesn't want to sell singles.

Underoath has two songs sold individually in Rockband 4 (originally from older games), I don't see them being the issue. I'm sure the licensing for the Underoath song in the Rockband 2 20-pack of free songs wouldn't be too hard to obtain.

FyreWulff

Underoath has two songs sold individually in Rockband 4 (originally from older games), I don't see them being the issue. I'm sure the licensing for the Underoath song in the Rockband 2 20-pack of free songs wouldn't be too hard to obtain.

like crimsonclaw said, it's not impossible, but some songs have the weirdest licensing restrictions or reasons around them, even when it's from the same band

ie we lost Silversun Pickups songs but kept others, and it was seemingly entirely based on which particular album the song came from

DangerMan

Banned
like crimsonclaw said, it's not impossible, but some songs have the weirdest licensing restrictions or reasons around them, even when it's from the same band

ie we lost Silversun Pickups songs but kept others, and it was seemingly entirely based on which particular album the song came from

Makes sense, especially if the albums are under different labels.

jtb

Banned
I really hope they figure out a way to sell the Rock Band 2 (or really any of the games, but especially RB2 since that's the hardest to export if you hadn't already) soundtrack later, whether via disc or DLC... preferably not a la carte, but I could live with that too I guess.

Can easily live without AC/DC. Fuck 'em.

zulux21

Play some Bowie in honor of his great music and life.

That's near impossible. It takes months to get dlc locked down.

I suppose, though part of my statement was an assumption they were planning on releasing more of his stuff before his death anyways as they have always seemed to have stuff of his in the pipeline.

Top Bottom