• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

The thing I wish people would note is Rock Band 4 isn't a game release they've stated time and time again they see it as a platform so it will be updated a lot. I trust Harmonix.

I trust them. I will still be buying it but it's weird that the on stage stuff is worse and the character creation stuff is worse. If they intend to update all that stuff then that's great.

Gorki247

I think I now got all my 'regular' DLC tracks downloaded (finally). The only songs still missing are the stuff we know about:

RB1, RB2, LRB, GDRB and Blitz exports, AC/DC Live track pack, free RB1 and RB2 bonus tracks

But some stuff I'm not sure what will happen with those; such as he EU bonus tracks, some tracks I got as part of a promo, or pre-order, RB3 tracks and the delisted tracks.

Hopefully this will all be available soon, and then we can start looking forward to the weekly releases.

I decided to jump on it, so I have something to do in October and so I can play my old DLC...except every time I try to go to get more songs it says I have to be signed into PSN..whats going on?

Kolma

You guys are making me not want this game :(

Going to Tesco tonight to decide whether or not I want to spend £220 on the BIAB bundle for Xbone. It's a lot of money but I really love Rock Band.

You are buying it for the game and note highway not what the characters do in the background. Besides, everything will get updates and such. I'm sure characters and animations are somewhere on that list.

DarkOneX

Amazon still says my adapter hasn't shipped, even though support chat guaranteed me it'd arrive today.

Sux yo. My guitar bundle isn't shipping until today even though I was supposed to get it today, and the adapter also says prepairing to ship, so guess I'll have to wait until Thurs :(

Gorki247

Anybody know if the Rock Band in-game store makes it any easier to download previously purchased tracks? I scanned through and downloaded as much as I could last night but I've purchased so many songs so long ago that I can't remember what all I own. I feel like I'm missing a bunch. I'm buying the XBO version at some point today.

It makes it somewhat easier. Songs you bought previously are labelled as Purchased, so you can just install them again.

However, there is currently a bug which means this doesn't work 100% and some of these songs still show the price. However, once you select them you can download them for free as expected.

I went through my track list on RB3 while browsing the RB4 (by streaming it to a PC) and found the missing songs that way.

Kolma

There is much more demand for this game than I thought... this thread is moving.

Would you say we are Rockin'?

Forsythia

Goddamnit anyone else in Holland having issues with the guitar bundle for Xbox One? First it would be available the 6th, then the 9th and now the entire bundle isn't available (at bol.com). They did send me the pre-order DLC code already, but I want the bloody game + guitar!

Man alive this DLC business is a mess. I spent some of night trying to download my close to 1000 songs (and only found about 100) . This morning when I fired up my digital copy I went to the in-game store and found a few more songs listed as "purchased", but then I also found many of the songs that I downloaded the night before said "1.99". When I went to the song, it came up and said "You already own this item" but it would not list in-game. Additionally, ALL of my song pack & album purchases were pretty much hit or miss. The Cars album just didn't show up as purchased at all but two songs on "Are You Experienced?" did, the rest said to purchase.

ViciousDS

Banned
Would you say we are Rockin'?

couldn't be.....that song has yet to be exported from RB2 to RB4 yet.

Man alive this DLC business is a mess. I spent some of night trying to download my close to 1000 songs (and only found about 100) . This morning when I fired up my digital copy I went to the in-game store and found a few more songs listed as "purchased", but then I also found many of the songs that I downloaded the night before said "1.99". When I went to the song, it came up and said "You already own this item" but it would not list in-game. Additionally, ALL of my song pack & album purchases were pretty much hit or miss. The Cars album just didn't show up as purchased at all but two songs on "Are You Experienced?" did, the rest said to purchase.

I knew there was a good reason to not download songs ahead of time....I have a feeling the cache is all sorts of fucked with downloading DLC for actually without having the game installed/registered.

Will need Baron and others to confirm when they get the game later.

Ok, real talk.
What are currently the advantages of playing RB4 on PS4 instead of RB3 on PS3?
Assuming one has all the old instruments, the fact that the new setlist pales compared to the otherwise missing songs and exports and that both systems are hooked up to the TV.

Tek

Reading these posts from people who have played it...seems that HMX should have kept this in the oven a tad bit longer to get certain features working before releasing it. No filters really? Clothing options seem really bland too, No exports?

I understand that they probably wanted to get this out to marketplace before GH Live, but the average consumer is going to feel ripped off when they realize this game is missing so many features and all the songs they thought they could play from previous RB games are not working. Hell I think even some of us hardcore fans feel that way. We all invested a considerable amount of money into this game...not just DLC over the years but the higher entry point of purchase for newer hardware. I'm sure a lot of you are just holding out hope that these things will come in over time and bring RB4 up to our expectations.

Things could be so dire for HMX that they are counting on this revenue from game sales to fund some of these features. I hope this is successful, the main reason I bought this was because I wanted to play rock band on my newer consoles versus having to go back to my 360 every time I wanted to play a few songs.

Stanng243

Anyone else having trouble getting the doors pack to show up for free on the PS4? It's the last thing giving me issues.

FyreWulff

Ok, real talk.
What are currently the advantages of playing RB4 on PS4 instead of RB3 on PS3?
Assuming one has all the old instruments, the fact that the new setlist pales compared to the otherwise missing songs and exports and that both systems are hooked up to the TV.

RB3 advantages:

- Keys and Pro Guitar support
- You can play online and get kicked out of most sessions because you aren't playing Expert

RB3 disadvantages:

- Start up time (really long on PS3)
- No more new DLC

Adventures in Trying to Find Rock Band 4 at retail Part One:

Southeast Virginia

Target: claims they only have the BIAB and nothing else. No stock on the floor whatsoever.

Walmart: No stock. Claims it's not even in the computer.

Fun.

Will be going back out for Part Deux.

Got my Guitar. It's a sexy thing, I'e never owned a RB controller but this is a real nice piece of kit. Weirdly my PS button has like a seam or a crack inside the button, but it's below the surface. Doesn't seem like a problem to me. Just interesting to note.

RB3 advantages:

- Keys and Pro Guitar support
- You can play online and get kicked out of most sessions because you aren't playing Expert

RB3 disadvantages:

- Start up time (really long on PS3)
- No more new DLC

Ugh. It is the reason I dropped Xbox Live gold. I play on expert for a vast majority of songs, but the few I don't resulted in so much flak from the people I played online with that I just gave up trying to play online. It was so damn annoying.

So, sitting here staring at the guitar bundle box for XBO that I got at midnight last night. Impatiently waiting for Best Buy to open up and see if they have it or my game+adapter preorder before I open up and install.
Wal Mart didn't get any version of the game, and Target this morning only got BiaB versions of it.

This is really a wild goose chase. Just praying to find an adapter out in the wild somewhere.

Southeast Virginia

Target: claims they only have the BIAB and nothing else. No stock on the floor whatsoever.

Fun.

That sounds familiar! Just having breakfast now before hitting BB.

ViciousDS

Banned
Same here. Amazon US however has shipped my legacy adapter.

I've been playing some RB3 to relieve some of this hype. Can't wait to be rid of these garbage RB1 instruments I've been using for 8 years.

oh dear heavens I pity you. I returned the drumset 7 times, the guitar 3 times and the pedal 7-8 times as well. AFter that, I used the guitar hero guitars and the RB2 drumset and threw away the RB1 stuff......it was ALL trash.

I liked the RB2 guitar though

So, I see that there are firmware updates for some of the new instruments, and hopefully that'll take care of the connectivity issues reported for the PS4 in a couple of reviews.

MadCatz sez:

For PlayStation 4 intruments, if you are unsure how to pair the instrument with your PC then instructions for Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 can be found below.

...and then all the links return "file not found" errors. I've tried following the general advice with connecting to Bluetooth devices on Microsoft's site, but I guess I lack the requisite hardware on my PC since I don't see the options they're referring to.

Any guidance on what I need to do to get my instruments up to date? Since I apparently need to buy a Bluetooth adapter, what should I be looking for in whatever I get? Thanks!

What's everyone's opinion on the RB4 guitar? I've always thought the GH instruments were better but the Beatles instruments were pretty good. Hoping this guitar is a lot better.

CloudWolf

Heh, I just got a notification that the Xbox version of the game (+ adapter) has been pushed back to next week in The Netherlands. Great, just great.

So, I see that there are firmware updates for some of the new instruments, and hopefully that'll take care of the connectivity issues reported for the PS4 in a couple of reviews.

MadCatz sez:

...and then all the links return "file not found" errors. I've tried following the general advice with connecting to Bluetooth devices on Microsoft's site, but I guess I lack the requisite hardware on my PC since I don't see the options they're referring to.

Any guidance on what I need to do to get my instruments up to date? Thanks!

I pressed the two buttons, the PS logo one and the little one in the "audio jack" (don't know the pattern but I think I pressed the PS one then tapped the audio jack one a few times) until the light was flashing blue and red alternately, and then went into my bluetooth settings and was able to pair with the controller. Not a stressful process.
If you go into the settings app on W10 there should be an appropriate bluetooth setting in Devices->Bluetooth. If it's not there then maybe you don't have bluetooth on your PC? In which case pick up a cheap USB bluetooth adapter somewhere perhaps.

What's everyone's opinion on the RB4 guitar? I've always thought the GH instruments were better but the Beatles instruments were pretty good. Hoping this guitar is a lot better.

Likewise. The Beatles instruments felt the best in my opinion. The buttons were quieter and softer, and the strum bar felt solid. Sadly, the upstrum and tilt sensors are shot on two of them now. Only the bass remains in perfect working order. Meanwhile, my RB3 guitar has loud clicking buttons, and a blue button that sticks unless you hit it at an exact angle.

Kolma

Likewise. The Beatles instruments felt the best in my opinion. The buttons were quieter and softer, and the strum bar felt solid. Sadly, the upstrum and tilt sensors are shot on two of them now. Only the bass remains in perfect working order. Meanwhile, my RB3 guitar has loud clicking buttons, and a blue button that sticks unless you hit it at an exact angle.

If only the beatles Guitar wasn't so uncomfortable to use.
With its super long neck and sharp corners.
Mine works perfect besides the tilt sensor, my RB2 strat is worn to hell D:
And Bass remains in perfect condition too...

I3rand0

So just an update on the PS4 calibration with legacy controllers: I am still not able to get the auto calibration to work. However, I did try calibrating with a DS 4 and that was successful one time only. It's better than was it before on guitar, but I am still missing notes that I know I am strumming to. Hopefully this gets patched soon because this game is unplayable to me right now.

FyreWulff

Nice thing about RB4tars is they finally went to accelerometer instead of the bearing-in-tube sensors, so they should work more reliably and for much longer.

Sethista

I have over 600 songs dlc, all the packs including blitz, and I played every week even after they cancelled the entire genre.

But Harmonix dropped the ball. I understand prioritization, and they prioritized legacy dlc and instruments use over online and various other things, I played online exclusively, but fine I get the need, so I held off in buying 4 until they add online again. But at least make sure that what you chose as priority works as well as it can at launch. This whole "is a plataform not a game" thing will be used as an arguement by defenders to explain away all fails from companies that go this route, and enpower them to ship incomplete games.

They should have delayed the launch of the game unitl all export business was working, at least.

Southeast Virginia

Fun.

Shouldve pre-ordered dawg

I have over 600 songs dlc, all the packs including blitz, and I played every week even after they cancelled the entire genre.

But Harmonix dropped the ball. I understand prioritization, and they prioritized legacy dlc and instruments use over online and various other things, I played online exclusively, but fine I get the need, so I held off in buying 4 until they add online again. But at least make sure that what you chose as priority works as well as it can at launch. This whole "is a plataform not a game" thing will be used as an arguement by defenders to explain away all fails from companies that go this route, and enpower them to ship incomplete games.

They should have delayed the launch of the game unitl all export business was working, at least.

Money isnt infinite man. They could lose money and try and sort that out or release it and make some money back while working on it.
I know what option I'd choose in their shoes.

$74.99 digitally in Canada hurts the beavers feelings

I guess I'll be waiting for a sale during Boxing Day. Buuuut there's a Babymetal song up for DLC, so it's really tempting.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Shouldve pre-ordered dawg

Depending on what you wanted, wouldn't have really mattered. From what I've been able to gleam, most of the retailers around me didn't get much stock of anything, aside from a few band or guitar bundles.

Plus, I did preorder the game and adapter bundle and still don't have any word from Amazon about when I might be able to expect it.

If only the beatles Guitar wasn't so uncomfortable to use.
With its super long neck and sharp corners.
Mine works perfect besides the tilt sensor, my RB2 strat is worn to hell D:
And Bass remains in perfect condition too...

The long neck on the bass does hurt after a while. The sharp corners on the Harrison guitar did dig into my wrist after a bit. But the buttons were the best on those controllers.

Nice thing about RB4tars is they finally went to accelerometer instead of the bearing-in-tube sensors, so they should work more reliably and for much longer.
Good to know. And looking at the IGN video shows that they improved the strum bar by making it contactless, which should make it last longer.

Sigh. One more hour till BB opens. Hopefully they have a guitar bundle then so I can use GCU then return the first one to Meijer. I am at the point now of just saying screw the legacy adapter. I will get it eventually.

The preorder excuse I guess is valid but there are an awful lot of people that preordered months ago and still haven't had their items dispatched or even explained as to why there is a delay.

Depending on what you wanted, wouldn't have really mattered. From what I've been able to gleam, most of the retailers around me didn't get much stock of anything, aside from a few band or guitar bundles.

Plus, I did preorder the game and adapter bundle and still don't have any word from Amazon about when I might be able to expect it.

Isn't that for Xbox only so far?
I havent heard of any PS4 order shenanigans.

Seems like a manufacturing problem to me that happened with XB1.

Top Bottom