• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

pacman85

Same here. Audio (most notably bass) as a whole just sounds bad compared to what it sounded like in RB3. I hope they fix it as I know it has been reported by multiple people in multiple places.

Apoc29

It sounds bad for me too. The sound samples are loud as hell during track selection but in-game it gets really quiet. The crowd still doesn't seem to be going through the rear speakers, and the microphone audio is barely noticeable, even with MIC1 volume turned all the way up. What's the point of karaoke if you can't even hear yourself?

I used the RB1 mic and this other cheap USB mic in RB4 and they were both sufficiently loud, but for some reason the RB4 mic is just really quiet.

Amneisac

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/686944864802615296

No exports this week, I'm afraid.
Fbj8X5k.png

pacman85

ugh, so at the earliest sunday of next week is putting us at january 17th. surely they can get the exports up and running this month. like someone else said, it would be awesome if they could make these available right around the time the patch for january goes live. i, for one, will be looking to get my rock band 1 export songs, rock band 2 export songs (+20 bonus songs), and ac/dc track pack. all that will be left is the delisted songs.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Same here. Audio (most notably bass) as a whole just sounds bad compared to what it sounded like in RB3. I hope they fix it as I know it has been reported by multiple people in multiple places.

They took a stab at the mix in the last patch and totally broke it. So I hope they're still working on it. Playing in stereo is a disaster at default settings right now, since the crowd drowns out the music.

pacman85

I just noticed that DLC for RB 2, Lego Rock Band and AC/DC Track Pack is now on the Xbox Store. Take it as a good sign.
so are there any songs that are NOT showing up from those exports that we were expecting to show up? i know there were a few songs surprisingly absent when the rock band 1 songs starting showing up on the xbox store last month.

So we fired it up last night for the first time and it was fun to be playing Rock Band again, for sure. I do have to say that I'm really disappointed with the audio mix during gameplay, though. It sounds pretty good in the menus, the surround mix sounds good, the sub is picking up the bass guitar, but then as soon as the gameplay starts the sub level drops way off and the mix just sounds... bad.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything, but I don't recall the audio mix being as bad in previous games. Are there any tips or tricks I'm missing? I'm running a 7.1 setup and I have a 500w 12" sub, I'd really like to hear it during gameplay!

My #1 gripe with the game. Really puts a damper on the experience for me.

chunk3rvd

so are there any songs that are NOT showing up from those exports that we were expecting to show up? i know there were a few songs surprisingly absent when the rock band 1 songs starting showing up on the xbox store last month.

Can anyone check this? I remember people theorising that the missing RB1 songs were the first few alphabetically so that might have been why. Are they up now? I don't have a MS account to check the store myself

The kick pedal didn't feel right, though I couldn't put my finger on exactly what the problem is. So to test the hypothesis that it was the pedal that was cramping my style, I first played through "What's Going On" (a REALLY simple song) on expert as usual -- I only managed to rack up 3 stars, with a lot of missed notes and broken streaks, obviously. After that, I enabled autokick mode and played through the same song on the same difficulty -- now it was an easy 5 star, with very few missed notes.
So for me it seems like the kick pedal is the villain in my extremely disappointing RB4 drum experience.

This sounds like a great experiment. I wasn't super hardcore back in the day, but I'd play drums almost exclusively, and almost entirely on expert level. I'll have to try using the auto kick and see how that works. I've got a RB2 drum set still lying around, but I figured the new drums would be less hassle and I'd not need a separate dongle. I've heard swapping the pedals might make a difference, but I've also heard that it's just the drums communicating to the game that is messed up so replacing the pedal doesn't do anything.

It all seems very very haphazard. I'm having good fun with the guitar, and apartment living doesn't really lend itself to drum playing - but I'm still kind of feeling burned by how poorly they work out of the box. Drums used to be my absolute favorite thing, and if I wasn't in an apartment I know I'd be driving myself nuts over it. As it is, I'm just glad I've got the guitar and that that part is fun still.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
AMA should be interesting. Guess we'll know if they're still on track with exports for January.

A harmonix employee said they are working on the audio mix for the January patch. This should be a patch for the ages!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/c...n_rps4_january_13th/cyvwo1x.compact?context=3
Awesome. Hope this addresses the quiet RB4 mic audio.

I never had any disconnection issues but I will update nonetheless!

hollams

Gold Member
So we fired it up last night for the first time and it was fun to be playing Rock Band again, for sure. I do have to say that I'm really disappointed with the audio mix during gameplay, though. It sounds pretty good in the menus, the surround mix sounds good, the sub is picking up the bass guitar, but then as soon as the gameplay starts the sub level drops way off and the mix just sounds... bad.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything, but I don't recall the audio mix being as bad in previous games. Are there any tips or tricks I'm missing? I'm running a 7.1 setup and I have a 500w 12" sub, I'd really like to hear it during gameplay!

I have the Xbox version and knew the support for my Roland drum set wasn't going to happen at launch but I bought it anyway because I loved playing Bass in RB3 and thought I would just do that with RB4 while I wait until my drums are supported.

Fired up the game and you are correct the audio is awful. The bass doesn't come out of my subwoofer during the song and there is no bass boost option so the songs are just flat. I have a 9.2 system and it has never sounded so bad, I've tried all kinds of different settings and none of them sound great.

I was so disappointed that I haven't fired it up since the first week it came out. Hopefully they can fix that part of the game and get my drums supported. I've spent a ton of money on the RB franchise over the years that I hope they can regain my interest.

According to them it was the same as in Rock Band 3, which is complete bullshit. I'm not hopeful that they'll fix the audio issues since they don't seem to think it's a problem.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Some more legacy DLC is working on the EU PSN store. Not much for me, but I was able to download Walk by Pantera. (Edit: Wanted Dead or Alive as well)

According to them it was the same as in Rock Band 3, which is complete bullshit. I'm not hopeful that they'll fix the audio issues since they don't seem to think it's a problem.
But they will?
A harmonix employee said they are working on the audio mix for the January patch. This should be a patch for the ages!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/c...n_rps4_january_13th/cyvwo1x.compact?context=3

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
How accurate is the auto calibrate tool on the new RB4 guitars for PS4? I just got mine yesterday and after running the tool I was at like "Audio 85 and Video 101" Those seemed waaaay off to me. Tried playing a few easy songs and was just missing notes left and right. I did the manual calibration after based off some YouTube vids and got it back around Audio 30 Video 75. Also, going form the Guitar Hero World Tour guitar to the Stratocaster for the first time in like 6 years is weird. I really liked the more solid strum bar on the GH guitar and the raised frets. I keep misplacing my fingers on the RB guitar, though sliding up and down is much easier.

Pressed a little during the aMa and got this response regarding the sound mix:

Ultimately, we fixed sing-a-long volumes, fixed the center channel panned instruments (usually bass), boosted the entire game volume (it's now actually a touch louder than RB3) and re-built the output bus structure for a better surround experience.

Sounds like that could actually address all my complaints about the sound. Hopefully it's in the Jan patch!

zulux21

Pressed a little during the aMa and got this response regarding the sound mix:

Ultimately, we fixed sing-a-long volumes, fixed the center channel panned instruments (usually bass), boosted the entire game volume (it's now actually a touch louder than RB3) and re-built the output bus structure for a better surround experience.

Sounds like that could actually address all my complaints about the sound. Hopefully it's in the Jan patch!

my only hope for the jan patch...

I get the ability to download my coldplay pack :(

Some more legacy DLC is working on the EU PSN store. Not much for me, but I was able to download Walk by Pantera. (Edit: Wanted Dead or Alive as well)

But they will?
Thanks for the update. Didn't get too much (Something from Nothing being listed as unavailable is a massive tease), but every one counts.

Some dlc is being delisted.

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/comment/5241639/#Comment_5241639

Guns N Roses “Chinese Democracy” (LP Chinese Democracy 01 Pack)
Guns N Roses “Scraped” (LP Chinese Democracy 01 Pack)
Night Ranger “You’re Gonna Hear From Me” (Night Ranger 01 Pack)
Nazareth “Hair Of The Dog” (single)
I Mother Earth “Levitate” (Single)
Hawkwind “Master Of The Universe” (Single)
Superchick “Stand In The Rain” (Single)
Silverchair “Straight Lines” (Single)
LP Chinese Democracy 01 Pack
Night Ranger 01 Pack
Tom Petty A Woman In Love (It’s Not Me) (Live) / Century City (Live) / Jammin’ Me (Live) / Nightwatchman (Live) / The Waiting (Live) / Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live Anthology Pack 02

I'm still waiting for my entitlements for Hair of the Dog, Levitate, and Master of the Universe to go up.

Interesting about the inconsistencies in the songs being delisted, though. You'd think all the Chinese Democracy songs would be going down together, but nope, it's just the two.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member

Night Ranger 01 Pack
Tom Petty A Woman In Love (It’s Not Me) (Live) / Century City (Live) / Jammin’ Me (Live) / Nightwatchman (Live) / The Waiting (Live) / Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live Anthology Pack 02
Oh snap, gotta get Hair of the Dog. Still on sale in Europe btw.

Night Ranger 01 Pack
Weird list. Tom Petty Live 02 but not 01 when they all come from the same live album, albeit a compilation, certain GnR songs from Chinese Democracy and Night Ranger but not the re-recordings from the latter and I think we've had more Silverchair songs released that haven't been taken down at this point, although I may be wrong in that. Not sure about the Hawkwind song either, there could be plenty of reasons, but Lemmy wasn't a part of Hawkwind for that so it surely can't be because of his unfortunate death (RIP Lemmy), so who knows.

Licensing is fucking weird.

This would also mean that there are more songs that are delisted but can be found in a track pack, the three I mentioned in my last post appearing in the Metal Track Pack.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Weird list. Tom Petty Live 02 but not 01 when they all come from the same live album, albeit a compilation, certain GnR songs from Chinese Democracy and Night Ranger but not the re-recordings from the latter and I think we've had more Silverchair songs released that haven't been taken down at this point, although I may be wrong in that. Not sure about the Hawkwind song either, there could be plenty of reasons, but Lemmy wasn't a part of Hawkwind for that so it surely can't be because of his unfortunate death (RIP Lemmy), so who knows.

Licensing is fucking weird.
I think Lemmy did play bass on Master of the Universe. I'm stupid, no he didn't. This was shortly before he joined, when Dave Anderson played bass.
That said, the song is ace, but fucking torture to play on guitar.

FyreWulff

Yeah, a few songs from the Metal Track Pack for sure, and really fuckin' weird that just a couple of songs from Chinese Democracy but not all of them. I'm going to guess someone involved with those two didn't sign off on re-ups.

As pointed out above

Music Licensing: Not Even Once

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, and I quote from todays AMA: "Rock Band 1 [export] is so close to being ready."

FyreWulff

So, looking over the Tom Petty tracks.

There's no real rhyme or reason. But it's a little less weird since it's live recordings sourced from multiple decades, so get one person or can't contact person that has involvement or rights in that specific tour and the song can't be renewed.

There's no telling writer, venue, or anything else that really makes them stand out. They're mostly 80-81, with one from 1997.

CloudWolf

So, looking over the Tom Petty tracks.

There's no real rhyme or reason. But it's a little less weird since it's live recordings sourced from multiple decades, so get one person or can't contact person that has involvement or rights in that specific tour and the song can't be renewed.

There's no telling writer, venue, or anything else that really makes them stand out. They're mostly 80-81, with one from 1997.
Not true, it's still weird, since it's all from one album, the Tom Petty Live Anthology. The only rights that need to be cleared are those of the album and both packs are from that same album.

I should buy those GNR songs but I don't want to buy the whole album at once either...

Does buying singles from a pack or album bring the price of the pack down if you want to complete it later?

FyreWulff

Not true, it's still weird, since it's all from one album, the Tom Petty Live Anthology. The only rights that need to be cleared are those of the album and both packs are from that same album.

One album, but different people to talk to for each live recording by itself. The same album doesn't explain Chinese Democracy only losing two tracks.

In the case of Tom Petty, it could be a tour agent or label tour person didn't re-up. For Chinese Democracy, since Axl had a bunch of people come through, it could be anyone that worked on those particular two songs but not the others. it's been mentioned (paraphrasing as an example) that sometimes they had to go find the family of someone deceased and have them sign an okay to use their .5% share of a song to get a song out.

Kolma

I should buy those GNR songs but I don't want to buy the whole album at once either...

Does buying singles from a pack or album bring the price of the pack down if you want to complete it later?

No.

Either way with those songs being removed any packs they belong to also get removed so the remaining songs have to be bought individually anyways.

Guess I'll consider the $20 then. At the same time, Chinese Democracy isn't a big loss to me... Decisions.

It's fun as hell on guitar, even the slow tracks. I'd definitely recommend it over other lots of other albums, even ones that I prefer to listen to. Plus "Sorry" is great for the 90 second/60 second achievements across RB games, so that's a plus.

Get it.

Error1355

So with the RB3 export being up and all the others being close behind now I finally sat down and felt 'right' about putting a bunch of time into the game.

The completionist in me was going insane knowing I have songs I purchased but didn't have access to while playing.

Top Bottom