• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

repeater

So this is awkward because it's going to reveal one of my embarrassing guilty pleasures, but is "Semi-charmed Life '09" playable in RB4 if I buy the RB2 version on Xbox.com? No version for RB3 or RB4 shows up there.

Don't judge me I was an adolescent in 1997 OK

Ninhead

So this is awkward because it's going to reveal one of my embarrassing guilty pleasures, but is "Semi-charmed Life '09" playable in RB4 if I buy the RB2 version on Xbox.com? No version for RB3 or RB4 shows up there.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Rock Band Network song, so no, it won't work.

Apparently, Harmonix might be able to transfer certain RBN songs over to Xbone and PS4 in the future, but for now, no, you cannot play RBN songs in Rock Band 4.

DangerMan

Banned
I actually have a song released through RBN, would be cool if they brought it to RB4. It's a really really cheesy pop song I wrote in High School and had my friend Brett sing.

Beautiful Collapse (Stalker)

EDIT: I did not chart it myself though, it was charted by RedRockCharters who I'm pretty sure owe me and Brett money still lol

Bread

Banned
Thinking of picking this up soon, I had RB1 2 and 3 but I don't have a 360 anymore for exporting, am I screwed for getting those songs to RB4? And is all the original DLC compatible? I want to play my old Bowie and Nine Inch nails songs.

DangerMan

Banned
Thinking of picking this up soon, I had RB1 2 and 3 but I don't have a 360 anymore for exporting, am I screwed for getting those songs to RB4? And is all the original DLC compatible? I want to play my old Bowie and Nine Inch nails songs.

You can still play the NIN songs in RB4 but you might need to rebuy them if you dont remember your old XBL info.

DangerMan

Banned
Yea, RB4 is an actual disaster of a game. Still a lot of fun but the worst entry in the series by far. No Online multiplayer, no slowing down songs to learn parts, no skipping to certain sections of songs, less character creator options. Not a good game, still a fun one though because of how good Rock Band used to be.

Yea, RB4 is an actual disaster of a game. Still a lot of fun but the worst entry in the series by far. No Online multiplayer, no slowing down songs to learn parts, no skipping to certain sections of songs, less character creator options. Not a good game, still a fun one though because of how good Rock Band used to be.

I think *mechanically* it's the best game, and that drum issue aside, the new hardware is fantastic.

But it's certainly the least featured. I miss the hell out of keys.

DangerMan

Banned
I think *mechanically* it's the best game, and that drum issue aside, the new hardware is fantastic.

But it's certainly the least featured. I miss the hell out of keys.

How is it any better "mechanically"? I said that the core mechanics are as good as they used to be but fail to see they are better. It is the lack of features that make RB4 so disappointing, plus how much of a mess the exporting of old tracks is.

How is it any better "mechanically"? I said that the core mechanics are as good as they used to be but fail to see they are better. It is the lack of features that make RB4 so disappointing, plus how much of a mess the exporting of old tracks is.

Lack of features yes. They're adding more features to the game with updates.

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/the-future-of-rock-band-4/

And what do you mean by exporting old tracks being a mess.

DangerMan

Banned
Lack of features yes. They're adding more features to the game with updates.

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/the-future-of-rock-band-4/

And what do you mean by exporting old tracks being a mess.

Sure, maybe the game will be as good as the others in time but right now I still don't see any option to export from RB2, and still don't see most of the features from older games. Games are a form of art, as is any piece of entertainment, once they are released they should not be changed. If I were to buy a movie that's missing the last 30 minutes and the creators said they'll update it later with what's missing, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Once a product is released move on to the next product, don't release something if you are planning on changing it later. I might be alone in this way of thinking though.

Sure, maybe the game will be as good as the others in time but right now I still don't see any option to export from RB2, and still don't see most of the features from older games. Games are a form of art, as is any piece of entertainment, once they are released they should not be changed. If I were to buy a movie that's missing the last 30 minutes and the creators said they'll update it later with what's missing, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Once a product is released move on to the next product, don't release something if you are planning on changing it later. I might be alone in this way of thinking though.

If it improves it, why not improve it? Besides, we're talking about Rock Band, an arcadey music game. Little is compromised with this approach. This isn't some story-driven epic like The Last of Us or The Witcher. And hell, even those games got supplemental story updates and DLC post-release.

DangerMan

Banned
If it improves it, why not improve it? Besides, we're talking about Rock Band, an arcadey music game. Little is compromised with this approach. This isn't some story-driven epic like The Last of Us or The Witcher. And hell, even those games got supplemental story updates and DLC post-release.

Additional songs is one thing, they don't need to patch the game to allow it, the feature has been there since launch. I'm talking about not releasing games when they not are feature complete. Trust me, I'm pissed off at the entire world, not just Rock Band 4.

EDIT: DLC for the Last of Us is a new product, it doesn't change what was already in the Last of Us. Although it could be argued that yea, it is 30 minutes that was missing from the original game and was later charged for.

Additional songs is one thing, they don't need to patch the game to allow it, the feature has been there since launch. I'm talking about not releasing games when they not are feature complete. Trust me, I'm pissed off at the entire world, not just Rock Band 4.

They shipped Rock Band 4 when they did for economic reasons. Both Harmonix and MadCatz were low on cash at the time, and if they had missed the holiday, it would negatively impact sales.

And I still don't see the inherent problem of updating a video game - or a film, for that matter - over time.

Did you just compare a game to a movie?

Games are a form of art, as is any piece of entertainment, once they are released they should not be changed.
Man. I haven't disagreed with a statement so hard in a long time. Games are so different from any other medium and can be so many different things. To declare that any game that comes out should be one and done and never changed is an extremely limiting point of view ESPECIALLY if you consider them art.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe there's someone making an argument for "games as art" in a freaking Rock Band thread.

DangerMan

Banned
So what about with RB4? They didn't remove features so they could sell it to you at a later date.

I understand Rock Band 4 didn't remove features to sell them later, they removed features because the developers were not capable of having them ready on time. Still doesn't make Rock Band 4 any less of a disaster.

EDIT: I also think that video games should stop being made and that jobs should be focused on what is essential for living. This means building shelters, preparing food, and medical research. I'm probably just straight nuts though.

So what about with RB4? They didn't remove features so they could sell it to you at a later date.

Or Diablo 3 where they added a TON of new, great stuff.

Are bands not allowed to change their songs at live shows?

Should we get Director's cuts like the amazing Kingdom of Heaven one, that was better than the theatrical release by a lot?

DangerMan

Banned
Or Diablo 3 where they added a TON of new, great stuff.

Are bands not allowed to change their songs at live shows?

Should we get Director's cuts like the amazing Kingdom of Heaven one, that was better than the theatrical release by a lot?

Adding new content is fine provided it does not affect what was already there in any way. The Director's Cut of a movie can be considered a new product, but really the director should have been the one getting his cut released in the first place. Bands are allowed to change their songs live but they can not come into my house, take my copy of their cd, and start changing what is on it.

I understand Rock Band 4 didn't remove features to sell them later, they removed features because the developers were not capable of having them ready on time. Still doesn't make Rock Band 4 any less of a disaster.

EDIT: I also think that video games should stop being made and that jobs should be focused on what is essential for living. This means building shelters, preparing food, and medical research. I'm probably just straight nuts though.

How the fuck is RB4 a disaster?

The Master Chief Collection was a disaster.
Assassins Creed Unity was a disaster.
Arkham Knight for PC is still a disaster.

RB4 at this moment isn't a disaster and it never was. It was an OK game, now a good one, and hopefully soon to be great with our exports showing up.

DangerMan

Banned
How the fuck is RB4 a disaster?

The Master Chief Collection was a disaster.
Assassins Creed Unity was a disaster.
Arkham Knight for PC is still a disaster.

RB4 at this moment isn't a disaster and it never was. It was an OK game, now a good one, and hopefully soon to be great with our exports showing up.

I like to exaggerate and see how people react. But really, a game being on a console a gen ahead of previous games and somehow being worse is pretty bad.

EDIT: Also is that a Pretty Hate Machine avatar man, at least we agree on NIN being good stuff.

I like to exaggerate and see how people react. But really, a game being on a console a gen ahead of previous games and somehow being worse is pretty bad.

How about the fact that their workforce is greatly reduced since RB3. Or how about the fact they don't have EA publishing it and giving them money. And what about games costing more to make now then it did in 2010.

Also do you have any idea how much time and money was spent on getting your dlc over to the new consoles? They prioritized thier time on making the game so that the money you spent over 8 years ago is still being put to use.

I understand you're upset some things are missing from RB3, but give it time. Things will look good soon, and your RB2 export will be here later this month.

DangerMan

Banned
How about the fact that their workforce is greatly reduced since RB3. Or how about the fact they don't have EA publishing it and giving them money. And what about games costing more to make now then it did in 2010.

Also do you have any idea how much time and money was spent on getting your dlc over to the new consoles? They prioritized thier time on making the game so that the money you spent over 8 years ago is still being put to use.

I understand you're upset some things are missing from RB3, but give it time. Things will look good soon, and your RB2 export will be here later this month.

If you can't get it right, don't do it at all. All these are reasons for games to stop being made and for jobs to be focused on what essential for life. Although I'm sure plenty of people will argue games are essential for life. I dunno, if I'm such a troll, ban me and I can stop wasting time on NeoGaf.

EDIT: I had RB1 on Wii and RB2 on 360, I've got RB4 on PS4. I had to rebuy every piece of dlc that I wanted in Rock Band 4.

dang another recognizable person leaving harmonix. i hope everything is okay over there.

They don't have another major game to work on at this point. After getting Amplitude and RB4 out the door, everything else that we know they're working on is either VR or mobile, so they probably don't need as much staff around.

DangerMan

Banned
According to wikipedia there is a RockBand VR coming in 2016 but really that sounds like a dreadful idea to me. VR in general is starting to sound less and less appealing.

According to wikipedia there is a RockBand VR coming in 2016 but really that sounds like a dreadful idea to me. VR in general is starting to sound less and less appealing.
I think it sounds awesome. What's not awesome is a local party game like RB being on PC. No VR on the horizon in my RB ecosystem (XB) so I don't think I'll ever experience RBVR.

DangerMan

Banned
I think it sounds awesome. What's not awesome is a local party game like RB being on PC. No VR on the horizon in my RB ecosystem (XB) so I don't think I'll ever experience RBVR.

You won't be able to see anyone else in the room if you are playing multiplayer and you won't be able to see your instrument. I know looking at the toy instrument is rare in Rock Band but I still feel like Rock Band will have its immersion hurt by VR rather than helped.

You won't be able to see anyone else in the room if you are playing multiplayer and you won't be able to see your instrument. I know looking at the toy instrument is rare in Rock Band but I still feel like Rock Band will have its immersion hurt by VR rather than helped.
That's a very good point. Almost makes me think RBVR is going to be DOA...

To be fair, you can at least see your virtual instrument.

Local party games work just fine on PC though. Hence why most of them start there nowadays.
They certainly can, especially if you have a comfy couch and a TV connection. My personal setup does not, though.

Top Bottom