• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

FyreWulff

Does anyone have any experience with the Mad Catz or Logitech replica wooden guitars?

I have the Woodstrat. It's made out of arcade quality parts. It's also a workout to strum the damn thing because they implemented the click by using a giant spring for the strumbar. It'll take you like a year to even break that thing in.

It's legit heavy (because it's a real guitar body), so not very comfortable to play with standing up for extended periods, definitely a sitdown guitar.

vg260

I have the Woodstrat. It's made out of arcade quality parts. It's also a workout to strum the damn thing because they implemented the click by using a giant spring for the strumbar. It'll take you like a year to even break that thing in.

It's legit heavy (because it's a real guitar body), so not very comfortable to play with standing up for extended periods, definitely a sitdown guitar.

All of this, but the upside is it has the best fret buttons of any guitar controller for any game or system. They're amazing.

catabarez

How are the frets? They much farther apart than a regular rock band guitar?

Also I love that it clicks. I've considered opening up my rock band guitars and changing the strum mechanism.

FyreWulff

How are the frets? They much farther apart than a regular rock band guitar?

Also I love that it clicks. I've considered opening up my rock band guitars and changing the strum mechanism.

They run smoothly together. They're actually about the same total size together as a regular RB/GH guitar, which was actually a surprise to me.

NugQkQm.jpg

Xplorer on top, woodstrat on bottom

and in agreement with 2n2, they're comfy as hell, really good, zero mush, they just 'clack' when pressed. The woodstrat originally retailed for 300$, which is why the parts are so solid. I got mine for 40$ when Amazon was having firesales on them.

catabarez

They run smoothly together. They're actually about the same total size as a regular RB/GH guitar, which was actually a surprise to me.

NugQkQm.jpg

Xplorer on top, woodstrat on bottom

and in agreement with 2n2, they're comfy as hell, really good. The woodstrat originally retailed for 300$, which is why the parts are so solid. I got mine for 40$ when Amazon was having firesales on them.

Damn I wish I knew about that. The lowest I ever saw them was around $100, which is about what I'm gonna pay for it now.

I'm also looking at the Logitech Guitar Hero controller, which looks awesome. They seem to be much rarer though.

vg260

Damn I wish I knew about that. The lowest I ever saw them was around $100, which is about what I'm gonna pay for it now.

I'm also looking at the Logitech Guitar Hero controller, which looks awesome. They seem to be much rarer though.

It's a great controller, but the fret bar is very stiff. It's very tiring to use. It's the only reason I don't use it as my main controller.

Dang I never saw them at $40. That's an absolute steal.

FyreWulff

I'd say it's worth 100$. But you'll definitely get your arm swole from using that strum bar.

Yeah, the sale was when everything music games was being purged from everywhere. August 2011, according to the Amazon receipt. Also, it appears I actually paid 56$ for it. whoops, don't know why I remembered it as 40$.

catabarez

It's a great controller, but the fret bar is very stiff. It's very tiring to use. It's the only reason I don't use it as my main controller.

Dang I never saw them at $40. That's an absolute steal.

Awesome. Hopefully the one I get is in decent condition and works fine. It's used so maybe the strum bar has been worn in a little. I've been wanting to buy one since they were announced and just didn't have the funds at the time.

catabarez

I'd say it's worth 100$. But you'll definitely get your arm swole from using that strum bar.

Yeah, the sale was when everything music games was being purged from everywhere. August 2011, according to the Amazon receipt. Also, it appears I actually paid 56$ for it. whoops, don't know why I remembered it as 40$.

Ah yes. That was probably around the time they HUGELY discounted the pro guitar controllers. I must have totally forgot about the Mad Catz guitar at the time.

E: oops double post.

vg260

I got mine on amazon gold box sale for $99, although I just recently traded one back in to amazon years later for $130. It was nice, but I just don't have the space.

Crazy the standard plastic guitars are going for $100 standalone now.

SFenton

Where are you guys finding the Woodstrat for sale? I'd love to buy one, actually.

EDIT: Backordered on Amazon for $55 but there's a cherry one that I've bought!

catabarez

I think I grabbed the only/last one.

Also, of course I would learn they made Telecasters back in the day, and I can't find those for diddly squat.

Ebay would probably be the best bet for those.

Does anyone have much experience with the ION drums? I've had a problem since I got them years ago. I use the third party Rock Pedal that was being sold years ago and when I first plugged the pedal into my ION set, the only way it wouldn't register a double hit was if I enabled the hi-hat pedal option. Could the problem be from the converter jack I used or is this an inherent problem with the IONs?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man, they really did kill crowd singalongs so bad with this sound mix update. I've had to adjust the sliders so I could hear them good and even then...on some songs (especially Green Day) you can BARELY hear them even with the adjusted volume mix when you'd hear them perfectly fine before this patch! UGH!!! I loved the way they were before and if people were really bothered by them, all they had to do was just tone it down with the crowd slider. Now I have to tone down everything in order to hear them. I really do enjoy the new audio mix cuz it sounds really good for me, but man the lowered crowd singalongs continue to be the biggest BUMMER for me. :(

Also, any chance Harmonix adds crowd singalongs in future DLC? PLZ!!!!

The more I play since the new sound update, I am disappointed. The first song sounded awesome and felt so full and alive compared to the old sound mix, now it seems way too bass heavy no matter what you do.

Hopefully the next update they find a happy medium between the new mix and the old.

Kolma

Man, they really did kill crowd singalongs so bad with this sound mix update. I've had to adjust the sliders so I could hear them good and even then...on some songs (especially Green Day) you can BARELY hear them even with the adjusted volume mix when you'd hear them perfectly fine before this patch! UGH!!! I loved the way they were before and if people were really bothered by them, all they had to do was just tone it down with the crowd slider. Now I have to tone down everything in order to hear them. I really do enjoy the new audio mix cuz it sounds really good for me, but man the lowered crowd singalongs continue to be the biggest BUMMER for me. :(

I've always loved crowd singalongs and I especially loved it when they nearly drowned out the band so long as you can still hear the band.

Just makes the atmosphere feel alive with a crowd totally pumped for the song they are hearing.

CloudWolf

You loved how for some songs you couldn't even hear the song since the crowd was so goddamn loud? Different strokes, etc.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You loved how for some songs you couldn't even hear the song since the crowd was so goddamn loud? Different strokes, etc.
The only song where that was a problem for me was Behind Blue Eyes by The Who. Every other song I owned that had one was reasonable. It sucks that you can barely hear them now. If it really bothered you before, you could have just adjusted one slider (crowd) and your complaint would have disappeared. Now I have to adjust several sliders to try and get the same effect, which sucks. I honestly did not get the previous complaints when the crowd slider has always existed.

CloudWolf

The only song where that was a problem for me was Behind Blue Eyes by The Who. Every other song I owned that had one was reasonable. It sucks that you can barely hear them now. If it really bothered you before, you could have just adjusted one slider (crowd) and your complaint would have disappeared. Now I have to adjust several sliders to try and get the same effect, which sucks. I honestly did not get the previous complaints when the crowd slider has always existed.

The complaint (at least how I saw it) was more based on the fact that it was really inconsistent. If I took down the crowd slider enough so that the crowd wouldn't massively overpower the song itself like in Behind Blue Eyes and What's My Age Again? I wouldn't be able to hear the crowd vocals in the on disc tracks at all. And because you can't change those settings from within the song selection/gameplay menu, I had to exit to main menu every time to move the slider to my preference. The new standard setting might be a bit too low in the mix, but at least everything is consistent.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't tried it since the patch, but Pretty Fly was so fucking terrible with the crowd, it was distracting. Way too loud, and for the last third not even in rhythm.

hunchback

I'm bummed out. I just received my guitar bundle and set up only to realize I won't be able to play.

This is the first game where my disability prevents me from playing. As my user name implies, I am a hunchback. Back when these game's first came out I could play them because my disease wasn't as bad.

Now I'm hunched over to the point where I can't hold the guitar against my stomach or chest. My neck is also frozen so I can't look at the frets if I need to.

I didn't even think about my disability when ordering. I was excited to play again.

I'm bummed out. I just received my guitar bundle and set up only to realize I won't be able to play.

This is the first game where my disability prevents me from playing. As my user name implies, I am a hunchback. Back when these game's first came out I could play them because my disease wasn't as bad.

Now I'm hunched over to the point where I can't hold the guitar against my stomach or chest. My neck is also frozen so I can't look at the frets if I need to.

I didn't even think about my disability when ordering. I was excited to play again.

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

FyreWulff

That sucks. Are you able to comfortably play and view the game screen? I don't look at the frets anymore while playing, so it is possible to learn to play without looking at the guitar... it might just take a while to get comfortable with doing that.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member

Shit man, sorry to hear that. Can you play sitting down? The whole "looking at frets" thing really shouldn't be a problem after some time (as seen with my girlfriend, who never played these kind of games before RB4, and can play easy hard songs by now without looking at the controller).

Gobbly

Banned

The looking at frets thing won't be an issue once you're used to it, if that is possible for you.

hunchback

Shit man, sorry to hear that. Can you play sitting down? The whole "looking at frets" thing really shouldn't be a problem after some time (as seen with my girlfriend, who never played these kind of games before RB4, and can play easy hard songs by now without looking at the controller).

Thank you for the suggestions. I agree that the frets won't be a problem once I get going. It has more to do with my body shape. Even if I lay on a couch I'm still in a U shape. My entire spinal column fused it self into a giant U. I used to be 6ft and now I'm 4ft 4 inches.

I tried different chairs and stuff. I'll probably be able to play but only 2 or 3 song's. Otherwise I'll be sore for days.

parasight

Does anyone know if they're selling the Legacy Adapter in Canada yet? If not, I'm going to Chicago for the weekend and was wondering if any retailers carried it in stock? I can only seem to find Online retailers carrying it individually.

Thank you for the suggestions. I agree that the frets won't be a problem once I get going. It has more to do with my body shape. Even if I lay on a couch I'm still in a U shape. My entire spinal column fused it self into a giant U. I used to be 6ft and now I'm 4ft 4 inches.

I tried different chairs and stuff. I'll probably be able to play but only 2 or 3 song's. Otherwise I'll be sore for days.
Have you tried playing the guitar horizontally? Like, instead of standing, sit down and play the frets like a keyboard while you strum back and forth? Maybe have a table to lay the guitar on if your lap isn't going to work? I've seen guitars in country songs played like that, so it might help.

I'm really sorry for your condition and it is such a bummer that you are losing something you loved to do. :(

SFenton

Quick question- I have RB2 drums for 360 and RB4 drums for Xbox One.

1) I have a legacy adapter. Is it better to just use the RB2 drums (since the X1 drums have that nice latency)? I'll have to buy cymbals but I'm unconcerned with the cost.
2) Are there sensor replacements available? Are the Xbox One sensors compatible with the 360 drums? My 360 kit is a little undersensitive IIRC.

(Goodwoodmods would be cool but I don't think they exist anymore.) EDIT: There's a few on eBay, but I don't know if it's worth it yet.

Thanks!

hunchback

Have you tried playing the guitar horizontally? Like, instead of standing, sit down and play the frets like a keyboard while you strum back and forth? Maybe have a table to lay the guitar on if your lap isn't going to work? I've seen guitars in country songs played like that, so it might help.

I'm really sorry for your condition and it is such a bummer that you are losing something you loved to do. :(

I know exactly what you mean. I will give that a try this evening. I have a pillow it can rest on. Thank you for the idea. You have a great afternoon.

I know exactly what you mean. I will give that a try this evening. I have a pillow it can rest on. Thank you for the idea. You have a great afternoon.

I'm probably picturing wrongly what you're having problems with, but can you use the small hands buttons more comfortably? They can be used for normal play and not just solos.

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/rock-band-4-march-update-details/

Career Mode scores will now post to the Leaderboards! Show off your competitive spirit while you and your band tour the world!

New hair and hat options are coming to the Rock Shop, including the Pom-Pom Beanie and Winter Aviator seen above!

Repeated drum notes exploit has been removed! **
A big batch of bug fixes including:

Allowing the “Locked In” achievement/trophy to be attainable

Specific track note fixes/missing notes

Notes following Big Rock Endings are now counted towards your longest streak stat

Fixing issues with the Activity Feed for folks who have more than 30 friends

Freestyle Guitar Solo toggle state will now save when the Xbox One is powered down

FINALLY

vg260

Anyone use a Roadie Kickbox? I've wanted one for a while, but I can't find one anywhere.

If you have a RB3 guitar, you could just use your drum pedal for OD activation if not using the drums at the time. I use the pedal from one of those portable drum pad kits I got on clearance.

catabarez

If you have a RB3 guitar, you could just use your drum pedal for OD activation if not using the drums at the time. I use the pedal from one of those portable drum pad kits I got on clearance.

Oh that wasn't what I was talking about. The kickbox allows an electronic bass pad to be connected to a rock band drumset and gets triggered whenever it's hit by a real bass pedal.

Kolma

You sir are thinking about this
electro-harmonix-overdrive-kick-box.jpg

FyreWulff

Remember how some of the GH guitars had a telephone port on it. Any idea on what the hell they wanted to do with it?

IIRC the phone port on the Xplorer was supposed to be for an effects pedal of some sort that GH2 would be patched to support down the road. Any later guitars that had it were a leftover of that idea.

It's kinda interesting to go back and see some of the plans around GH2. GH2 was supposed to have a lot of DLC, and they wanted to do the singles/packs setup, and they also wanted to bring the GH1 soundtrack over. They only got some DLC, some of GH1, and Activision didn't allow singles to be sold.

Also pointless fun fact: Harmonix released GH2 DLC after Rock Band 1 came out. It was only a single pack, but there you go.

IIRC the phone port on the Xplorer was supposed to be for an effects pedal of some sort that GH2 would be patched to support down the road. Any later guitars that had it were a leftover of that idea.

It's kinda interesting to go back and see some of the plans around GH2. GH2 was supposed to have a lot of DLC, and they wanted to do the singles/packs setup, and they also wanted to bring the GH1 soundtrack over. They only got some DLC, some of GH1, and Activision didn't allow singles to be sold.

Also pointless fun fact: Harmonix released GH2 DLC after Rock Band 1 came out. It was only a single pack, but there you go.

I guess Harmonix being bought, brought an end to that plan for GH2.

Top Bottom