• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Kolma

in case people either want to see the full guitar for the new fallout boy song or because they are curious how it compares to guitar hero live...
video I found comparing light it up.

I'm used to guitar hero and rock band having different track notes with Rock Band trying to be accurate and Guitar Hero trying to make songs overly hard with extra notes.

But with this song it seems like Rock Band has harder parts and I can't help but feel confused over which is the more accurate one. Then again I can't listen to it too loud right now.

Heck they should be doing something like announcing songs that will be coming to it or something just for the sake of getting some press.

It's a straight port of RB4, the songs coming to it are the same 60+ songs in the console version. With the added benefit of no already purchased dlc transferring over to pc.

FyreWulff

I'm used to guitar hero and rock band having different track notes with Rock Band trying to be accurate and Guitar Hero trying to make songs overly hard with extra notes.

But with this song it seems like Rock Band has harder parts and I can't help but feel confused over which is the more accurate one. Then again I can't listen to it too loud right now.

Looks to me like the major different is Guitar Hero charted the guitarist letting go of the strings as a downward pulloff.

I also haven't seen any GH Live chart that uses any

x
xx
x
xx
x
xx

style patterns really fast (i haven't looked at all of them, so if any of them uses a pattern like that really fast feel free to point it out)

edit: yeah as far as I can tell, the pattern above in Rock Band becomes either

xx
xx
xx
xx
xx

or

x
- x
x
- x
x

in GHL

Ceo-VJTUUAAP9S3.jpg

I'm ready for April.

zulux21

You know, I generally don't discriminate against genres, only artists, but fuck country.

Twangy guitar bullshit.

I hate country in general, and really it feels like an absolute insult to have country in a game called Rock Band... that being said if it sells it sells, it's not like I can't just ignore it and it obviously sells since we are on pack 9.

I'll just take the two songs that released this month that I might buy and like it I guess as it's two more than last month :p

I mean there is a chance one day I might buy a country song on rock band such as Lady Antebellum - Compass but that is more me tolerating a country song than actually wanting it, as what I would love more of is duet songs on rock band so I could sing them with my wife :p

I hate country in general, and really it feels like an absolute insult to have country in a game called Rock Band... that being said if it sells it sells, it's not like I can't just ignore it and it obviously sells since we are on pack 9.

I'll take any genre if the songs are good and/or fun. Country's pretty consistently fun, even if it's not always that good musically.

I wish. There's no twang in new country. Country needs its twang back.

That Sam Hunt song sounds like most of the notes are bent beyond the point of a snapped string.

I'll just take the two songs that released this month that I might buy and like it I guess as it's two more than last month :p

I mean there is a chance one day I might buy a country song on rock band such as Lady Antebellum - Compass but that is more me tolerating a country song than actually wanting it, as what I would love more of is duet songs on rock band so I could sing them with my wife :p

I mean, Rock Band has always had an array of genres, and I'd call country a more rock-oriented genre than some of the pop stuff they've put up. Still doesn't stop me hating it more than most other genres though.

I'd love some more Neko Case, though.

That rides the line a bit. A good chunk of her new stuff isn't particularly country-y.

FyreWulff

well, going country did get high numbers because they split up the two Track packs into packs when released.

but i definitely prefer older country to pop-country.

The country packs hit their peak with the first. Sin Wagon, Hillbilly Deluxe and Gunpowder & Lead were great.

Bring on April. I've started playing GH Live for the first time since last year and I'd love to see more of the on-disc songs make their way over, with a few GHTV tracks thrown in there. Mind Your Manners, Been Away Too Long and Stone just have to be bundled together. I'd also take a Halestorm/Deap Valley/Courtney Barnett week while I'm at it. And a Black Keys/Elbow/Rival Sons week.

Although I'll temper my expectations a little. Just one of these would be nice.

Bring on April. I've started playing GH Live for the first time since last year and I'd love to see more of the on-disc songs make their way over, with a few GHTV tracks thrown in there. Mind Your Manners, Been Away Too Long and Stone just have to be bundled together. I'd also take a Halestorm/Deap Valley/Courtney Barnett week while I'm at it. And a Black Keys/Elbow/Rival Sons week.

Paint. It. Black.

Yes, I know there are issues with the masters. :(

pacman85

It almost seems like this game won't be the Rock Band 4 I want it to be until around October which marks it's 1 year anniversary. All of the features stripped out will hopefully be added back in and hopefully they will have all of the entitlements sorted out on old DLC, track packs, etc. by then. Also, they will announce some sort of big, new feature (online?) around E3 and from what I remember that feature will be implemented in an update in the fall. I haven't really touched this game in quite a while but I hope they give me a reason to in the next 6 months.

Saw the PS4 game and guitar for £50 today so thought about picking it up, but when I checked the prices of the downloadable songs on the PSN Store and the total cost of replacing my 360 song collection my wallet cried.

I want it, but can't justify the cost. And that's not including missing out on the songs I can't buy like exporting the previous RB games library.

Kolma

Saw the PS4 game and guitar for £50 today so thought about picking it up, but when I checked the prices of the downloadable songs on the PSN Store and the total cost of replacing my 360 song collection my wallet cried.

I want it, but can't justify the cost. And that's not including missing out on the songs I can't buy like exporting the previous RB games library.

Just buy RB4 for Xbox One :D (and an Xbox One)

CS_Dan

SCEE news from Reddit:

HMXJosh said:
For what it's worth, there's huge news on the SCEE exports front. Big breakthrough, should be hitting soon, around the same time as the April patch. It's not all the exports on one day or anything like that, but it's notable movement that should prove that SCEE isn't forgotten.
EDIT: Awesome that you can shuffle songs within a set list when playing them, was that there in previous games?

FyreWulff

Setlists coming next week with the April update.

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/all-about-setlists/

lol

but the bass solo!

also a tidbit on sharing not coming back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/4cmnge/next_week_rock_band_4s_update_will_feature/d1jzmsk

It's pretty doubtful. I was talking to someone about it that said that a single Harmonix person testing the sharing functionality in RB3 shared more setlists than the entire playerbase put together over the life of the game.

Just bought the PS4 band-in-a-box for £99.99. I know I have to re-buy my songs but I can just cherry pick the ones I enjoyed the most.

The way I see it, I'm getting the drums for £50... and I always wanted to give them a try on RB3 but could never find a set.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Unf Moving Pictures here I coooome!

Also lol @ the bolded
HMXJosh said:
For what it's worth, there's huge news on the SCEE exports front. Big breakthrough, should be hitting soon, around the same time as the April patch. It's not all the exports on one day or anything like that, but it's notable movement that should prove that SCEE isn't forgotten.
But yeah, looking forward to next week!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sorry to ask, but is there an easy way to download all songs on the Xbox One yet?
The old method of using the "manage game" thing to download songs isn't working for me, as there are dozens of songs that it's not picking up for me... and going though the menu one at a time is a real pain in the ass.

Oh, and did they ever implement a Jukebox mode that just plays songs? I remember them planning to add that into 3 but they never did it.

Kolma

Sorry to ask, but is there an easy way to download all songs on the Xbox One yet?
The old method of using the "manage game" thing to download songs isn't working for me, as there are dozens of songs that it's not picking up for me... and going though the menu one at a time is a real pain in the ass.

Oh, and did they ever implement a Jukebox mode that just plays songs? I remember them planning to add that into 3 but they never did it.

I think that was announced way back in the day for Rock band 2 on an EGM preview.

They killed it right before the game went gold. I believe there were issues with it being too easy for people to rip the high quality audio off the game with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think that was announced way back in the day for Rock band 2 on an EGM preview.

They killed it right before the game went gold. I believe there were issues with it being too easy for people to rip the high quality audio off the game with it.
Because people haven't figured out how to do that already. lol
Oh well.

Rock Band 2 was supposed to have the Jukebox Mode, but it was quietly removed before launch and Harmonix didn't really say anything about it.

Someone came up with a ghetto Jukebox Mode by playing songs on vocals with no fail mode and crowd noise down to 0.

FyreWulff

they confirmed in the recent ama that the miss sounds can't be turned off in RB4 due to the labels.

so yeah, jukebox mode died in a similar way probably (too easy to separate and/or the license specifies interactive play)

Guitar Hero either paid extra for the karaoke mode in the later games or the labels considered it having heavy crowd noise acceptable.

XShagrath

Didn't people achieve "Jukebox" mode by just playing vocals and turning on No-Fail mode?

At least that's how I remember it being done in 3. I never really understood why you wouldn't just listen to the actual mp3s/cds if you wanted to just listen to the music.

FyreWulff

Didn't people achieve "Jukebox" mode by just playing vocals and turning on No-Fail mode?

At least that's how I remember it being done in 3. I never really understood why you wouldn't just listen to the actual mp3s/cds if you wanted to just listen to the music.

Loopholes! RB3 also got rid of the auto-advance from RB2, though, so you always have to keep interacting. And you can still hear the crowd slightly booing.

I like just listening to the RB version of songs though. Stuff like Simple Man is just mixed so much better, and cleaner, than the CD version.

XShagrath

Loopholes! RB3 also got rid of the auto-advance from RB2, though, so you always have to keep interacting. And you can still hear the crowd slightly booing.
Loopholes! Get a controller with auto-press and just leave it pressed down?

I like just listening to the RB version of songs though. Stuff like Simple Man is just mixed so much better, and cleaner, than the CD version.
Totally forgot about the different mixes. You have a point there.

ascii42

Kind of like how the Guitar Hero version of Metallica's Death Magnetic sounds better? Yeah, I can see that.

Cross-posting but I didn't get an answer, so let's try it here :)

I'm looking at good deals for Rock Band 4 with the adapter for Xbox One. Amazon UK has it for £28, which makes it ~41€ shipped to Germany.

I think that's a good price. The question is, can we go lower? I'm not sure because it includes that adapter. Buy or no buy?

FyreWulff

Loopholes! Get a controller with auto-press and just leave it pressed down?

Totally forgot about the different mixes. You have a point there.

Kind of like how the Guitar Hero version of Metallica's Death Magnetic sounds better? Yeah, I can see that.

Yep, listen for yourself.

Simple Man Rock Band

Simple Man Digital
(CD sounds even more compressed)

Rock Band's version has a nice full sound, the drums sound bassy and like they're right there, you can actually hear the "be a SIMPLE man". The regular version, the drums sounds tinny and the sound is so crunched that instruments disappear into each other.

It got to the point where I'd buy songs in Rock Band specifically for the Harmonix mix, even if i couldn't or didn't like playing them.

Hell.. a lot of people don't like them, but Linkin Park is a huge example. Their CDs are compressed and crunch shit shows.

And then Rock Band's version of In the End came out.

You can hear the bass. (Holy crap there's a bass part!)

You can hear the drumkit fully.

The rapping parts don't sound like I'm listening to Mike Shinoda through wax paper.

Got sick of waiting for ION support, so I found an old RB2 kit and made my own adapter. Now I can finally actually play the damn game.

I'm assuming all exports are available by now?

Top Bottom