• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

From the Twitter account:

Cg1RLQAWIAA34H9.jpg

I'm grabbing What I Like About You for sure.

FyreWulff

was wondering if they'd charge for something like an online pass to subsidize online development, so not surprised it's going to be in a paid expansion.

CloudWolf

Oh, nice. I want that expansion.

Also, Dope Nose by Weezer is a great, but also pretty weird pick. I would've expected White Album stuff.

Gorger

Now that we have online and all these amazing news, I really can't fathom why Harmonix didn't wait until now to unleash their PC ports kickstarter. I am still unsure if it would have made it with that price tag, but it would have been a much better time to kick it off now.

Now that we have online and all these amazing news, I really can't fathom why Harmonix didn't wait until now to unleash their PC ports kickstarter. I am still unsure if it would have made it with that price tag, but it would have been a much better time to kick it off now.

Maybe they needed to lock up Sumo then for the port or else they'd have to move on to another project? Kinda like when they launched the Amplitude Kickstarter, and they said they needed to do it then because if not they wouldn't have had anything for those people to work on for too long.

FyreWulff

they said before they had to lock it in time for Sumo to work on it so they could launch the PC version with the fall expansion for the most promotion/featureset.

FyreWulff

Any more info on this? What does "expansion" entail? Is it just a big song pack?

To be announced at E3.

According to Harmonix, it's something new, not seen before in any previous Rock Band title, and they feel it's a pretty big feature. They do not consider online multiplayer to be that feature.

It's also not the return of keys, or pro. Keys was already confirmed as never coming back in RB4.

My own personal guess is that it's the Feature(tm) plus a collection of songs to go with to expand RB4's setlist. It also likely has something to do with PDP specifically.

I just want to know how much the ION adapter is and when it'll be available. I have one I made for myself out of a RB2 kit, and it's *mostly* perfect. The issue is it has some cross talk on a couple of the pads so I need to add some hardware to adjust the sensitivity of it to prevent that. I want to wait until I know more about the official option before I bother putting more money into the chopshop mod I made for myself.

Gorger

I hope that the expansion is Blitz related.

Could be, but I would be disappointed. I personally want features that improves the main game and would rather see Blitz as a digital optional download sometime in the future. I also speculated it might be a band focused campaign like Beatles or Green Day.

FyreWulff

I don't think they're ever doing band games again. It was hinted before that U2 wanted their own game - they eventually came around and released singles for RB4 disc and DLC.

I mean, not like I'd turn down an RB4 expansion centered around a band, complete with their own dreamscapes/characters/venues when you play their songs (it'd probably be the only way a Beatles import would ever be approved) - but I don't see it happening. I also feel like Rock Band albums are not going to be a thing anymore, as it is.

Gorger

I don't think they're ever doing band games again. It was hinted before that U2 wanted their own game - they eventually came around and released singles for RB4 disc and DLC.

I mean, not like I'd turn down an RB4 expansion centered around a band, complete with their own dreamscapes/characters/venues when you play their songs (it'd probably be the only way a Beatles import would ever be approved) - but I don't see it happening. I also feel like Rock Band albums are not going to be a thing anymore, as it is.

So what else could justify a whole new expansion pack? I am loss for ideas.

Must be something more than just new venues, clothing, character customization, songs and instruments--?

Must be something more than just new venues, clothing, character customization, songs and instruments--?

I imagine it has to be new modes ala Brutal Mode along with maybe some other stuff (expanded character creation?).

Lady Gaia

I'm very much looking forward to details on the expansion. Being able to rate songs songs is also a must for me so I'm already half-sold, they just need to bring it home. Cross-platform online play would also be extremely welcome, since so many people stayed on Xbox to keep DLC while I moved to PS4 because there was no MIDI drum solution in sight otherwise. Congratulations to those who waited it out on the Xbox One, glad to see they're finally taking care of you.

zulux21

only thing that was mentioned that I saw that could hint to it was that some of the features were inspired by the new instrument manufacturers.

wonder if that means a new instrument could be coming despite their claims to just want to stay with the core 4.

I would still love for keyboard support to play the guitar part to at least come back :/

pacman85

I'm very much looking forward to details on the expansion. Being able to rate songs songs is also a must for me so I'm already half-sold, they just need to bring it home. Cross-platform online play would also be extremely welcome, since so many people stayed on Xbox to keep DLC while I moved to PS4 because there was no MIDI drum solution in sight otherwise. Congratulations to those who waited it out on the Xbox One, glad to see they're finally taking care of you.
Thankfully they confirmed on Reddit that all of the updates to the song library selection (sorting, filtering and rating songs) will NOT be part of the expansion and rather a free update to everyone.

All of these exciting news, and I STILL can't download my friggin Coldplay Pack. :mad:
And I haven't checked, but is the RB2 export available to download yet on ps4?

Can't wait to hear more about this expansion though. I'll more than likely buy it no matter what.

Could be, but I would be disappointed. I personally want features that improves the main game and would rather see Blitz as a digital optional download sometime in the future. I also speculated it might be a band focused campaign like Beatles or Green Day.
I'm not sure what features you'd ask for that you wouldn't expect to be included in a patch. I mean, the point of them is to improve the main game.

The more I think of it, the more I can't see it being anything but a Blitz-esque expansion. It's the perfect addition for a relaunch of the game. If it comes with, say 20 songs, that bumps the on-disc soundtrack to around 80 which is a nice selling point, not to mention that you can slap something on the box to advertise that you can now play Rock Band without those big space consuming instruments. Maybe do something like Driveclub Bikes and have a stand alone game along with it being DLC. Plus it's gameplay related which is more likely to sell than huge artist packs, since the launch of RB4 I've been surprised that they even released six packs of artists given how the last few albums and the Green Day game didn't set the charts on fire. Which is a shame, but I've had to accept that Pearl Jam Live is gone forever.

Doesn't matter either way. I'm a sucker for this, I'll be getting it day 1. Or given how SCEE are with these games, I'll be there day 127, which will be day 1 in the UK. Any word on PS4 exports?

The more I think of it, the more I can't see it being anything but a Blitz-esque expansion. It's the perfect addition for a relaunch of the game. If it comes with, say 20 songs, that bumps the on-disc soundtrack to around 80 which is a nice selling point, not to mention that you can slap something on the box to advertise that you can now play Rock Band without those big space consuming instruments.

Like I said, Blitz-style gameplay would be an excellent to trojan horse the series onto Steam.

*cough*

pacman85

Really excited about all new features/updates but like someone else said I just want access to songs I have ALREADY purchased via exports, track packs, pack-exclusive songs, and delisted songs. Hopefully they (MS and Harmonix in my case) can have all that ironed out sooner rather than later.

Really excited about all new features/updates but like someone else said I just want access to songs I have ALREADY purchased via exports, track packs, pack-exclusive songs, and delisted songs. Hopefully they (MS and Harmonix in my case) can have all that ironed out sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I'm disappointed an update on this wasn't part of the presentation.

vg260

I'm not sure what features you'd ask for that you wouldn't expect to be included in a patch. I mean, the point of them is to improve the main game.

The more I think of it, the more I can't see it being anything but a Blitz-esque expansion. It's the perfect addition for a relaunch of the game. If it comes with, say 20 songs, that bumps the on-disc soundtrack to around 80 which is a nice selling point, not to mention that you can slap something on the box to advertise that you can now play Rock Band without those big space consuming instruments. Maybe do something like Driveclub Bikes and have a stand alone game along with it being DLC. Plus it's gameplay related which is more likely to sell than huge artist packs, since the launch of RB4 I've been surprised that they even released six packs of artists given how the last few albums and the Green Day game didn't set the charts on fire. Which is a shame, but I've had to accept that Pearl Jam Live is gone forever.

Doesn't matter either way. I'm a sucker for this, I'll be getting it day 1. Or given how SCEE are with these games, I'll be there day 127, which will be day 1 in the UK. Any word on PS4 exports?

My money is on a paid Blitz-esque expansion. They were very coy about the idea when asked about such a thing on the Reddit AMA.

FyreWulff

I think Blitz would count as "being in a previous Rock Band", though.

They have said it's possible Blitz-mode could be added as a feature as an example of what they're willing to do with the game.

So kind of a shitty thing to think about in the wake of events, but how likely do you think it is that Prince's estate would be more open to licensing songs for Rock Band? So much in that man's catalog that would be great for the game.

So kind of a shitty thing to think about in the wake of events, but how likely do you think it is that Prince's estate would be more open to licensing songs for Rock Band? So much in that man's catalog that would be great for the game.

I'm going to assume that it would still be a no.

They'd probably want what The Beatles got, and that's not happening in today's gaming world.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/4gfmb5/so_hows_this_expansion_pack_ion_adapter_going_to/

I've seen a lot of questions around how this expansion pack is going to work, and wanted to take a minute to explain a few things.

The expansion pack coming in the fall is going to be Chapter 2 for Rock Band 4. You'll get some big features up front with the expansion pack, but you're also buying into updates that lead into 2017. The content plan will be similar to the free updates you got with Rock Band 4.

Essentially, you buy the expansion pack, you get stuff up front, and you also get free updates for a while after that. Online is one of those updates. If you have the expansion pack, online multiplayer will be a free update.

Wait, you're charging us for online multiplayer?

You’re paying for an expansion pack that includes awesome features (more to come at E3), online multiplayer, and consistent updates into 2017. So if I have to answer this question in a word, that word would have to be 'yes,' but you're getting a lot more than just online for your money.

What if I don't get the expansion pack?

You'll get the Music Library Enhancements coming in the fall. You'll also continue to get bug-fixes and minor improvements. Features and content will be locked.

What about the ION adapter? Will it work with my e-kit?

If you have the MIDI PRO-Adapter, yes. The adapter will accept a USB input from either the ION drum brain or the Mad Catz MIDI Pro-Adapter.

Some more answers in there. But basically you have to pay for online.

Top Bottom