• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Some more answers in there. But basically you have to pay for online.

Eeh. Eeeeeh.

I get that Harmonix aren't exactly in the best financial shape, but charging for what essentially amounts to patches isn't a particularly good precedent to set, especially when it sounds like all new features will only be accessible by expansion owners.

It's gonna have to be less than $10.

pacman85

Eeh. Eeeeeh.

I get that Harmonix aren't exactly in the best financial shape, but charging for what essentially amounts to patches isn't a particularly good precedent to set, especially when it sounds like all new features will only be accessible by expansion owners.

It's gonna have to be less than $10.
Where does it say the updates will amount to patches? What games has NOT launched with online and added in that entire infrastructure/functionality and called it a patch? They also mention in that post:
You'll get the Music Library Enhancements coming in the fall. You'll also continue to get bug-fixes and minor improvements. Features and content will be locked.
So, yeah. I disagree.

Kolma

Well we have to remember not many people used Online in the previous Rock Band games and it's not like many will use it. They can't just go ahead and develop something so big and then just give it away for free. Along with other updates.

They are a company and with RB4 seemingly being the only game for this generation having updates continually being pumped out month after month they have to get money from somewhere.

FyreWulff

Yep, more I think of it, the only way online was happening was subsidization via some sort of pass. A lot riding on the price point and how 'big' the new thing is, though, on how well this will go over.

also, on cross-platform multiplayer:

It's possible from a technical perspective, but I would guess that it takes even more development effort than same-platform multiplayer would. The team knows how cool this would be, though!

Where does it say the updates will amount to patches? What games has NOT launched with online and added in that entire infrastructure/functionality and called it a patch? They also mention in that post:
You'll get the Music Library Enhancements coming in the fall. You'll also continue to get bug-fixes and minor improvements. Features and content will be locked.
So, yeah. I disagree.
What games remove online capability that has been present since the first game in the series and then make you pay for it? Would it be fair if From Software removed the soapstones from Dark Souls 3 and make you pay for them?

What games remove online capability that has been present since the first game in the series and then make you pay for it? Would it be fair if From Software removed the soapstones from Dark Souls 3 and make you pay for them?

The financial reality is that Harmonix went from having a very popular, high-profile game paid for by Viacom to funding another game in the same series out of their own pocket, during a string of flops, for a considerably smaller audience.

That, and the Dark Souls comparison is misleading. You're comparing Rock Band 4 to a series that is not only growing more popular with time, but is also much more highly dependent on online play than Rock Band.

FyreWulff

Viacom was subsidizing the existence of online in every game. When Warner published Lego Rock Band, they didn't include online. They also didn't include online in the track packs even though it was the RB1 engine where online was "already there", and the online services shutdown disclaimer was even in the credits of the track packs.

Think of it this way: the 80% or so of the RB4 userbase that buys this expansion is subsidizing the online function for the 2 or 3% that will actually play it. Harmonix will probably never say that directly, because it's a bit brutal honesty, but that's probably how they've costed it out and how it's going to get implemented into the game. As a side effect, this also means anyone you meet online is going to at MINIMUM have the New Feature and other expansion content. There are plusses and minuses to this implementation, but weighing all the other ones, this is the least sucky, IMO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But if you don't buy the expansion, aren't you basically locked out of all these features (whatever they may be)?

This is like saying Rock Band 3 is an expansion of Rock Band 1...

But if you don't buy the expansion, aren't you basically locked out of all these features (whatever they may be)?

The game isn't being overhauled the same way RB2 was from RB1 or RB3 was from RB2 though. It's just adding new features (and online play). Plus the minor updates are still going to be there for free.

FyreWulff

The base game will continue to get bug fixes and 'smaller' features. They're essentially adding new gameplay modes to everyone's Rock Band client and then you have to pay for a key to use those new modes.

Other games have had gametype / gameplay expansions that didn't give those modes to the base game, so not really a new concept.

So the Mysterious New Feature requires a purchase, same with Online, and other future game modes added. You'll still be able to buy DLC and all that. You'll still get bug fixes, UI usability updates, and all that.

Or think of it like World of Warcraft. Everyone gets updated to the latest client and new QOL improvements, but to actually play new gameplay you have to buy the expansion. Same here.

bobohoro

None of this answers my really important question:

Where's my AC/DC export, huh?

This announcement made me check if any of the stuff I was waiting for back in January (I think?) is up by now. Nope. None of my wishlisted old DLC, nor any new exports, nothing has changed.

Yeah no, not falling for this stuff again Harmonix. I waited patiently (well, most of the time) for them to fix their content lacking game through patches which didn't really happen in a timely or satisfying manner, and now they announce their paid expansion pack/season pass, which will probably again launch with lots of promised content for the future to dubiously justify a way too high price point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm, I guess the MMO comparison makes sense. Technically you can still play Destiny even if you don't buy any of the expansions.

Well, I'll probably end up buying this thing anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

Hrm, I guess the MMO comparison makes sense. Technically you can still play Destiny even if you don't buy any of the expansions.

Well, I'll probably end up buying this thing anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

Honestly it beats having to buy a RB5, and then a year later RB6. If it's priced right, which I think it will, it'll be fine.

pacman85

Honestly it beats having to buy a RB5, and then a year later RB6. If it's priced right, which I think it will, it'll be fine.
I mean the base game is $60 so this expansion can't be any more than half of that ($30) right? I know it's silly speculating when we don't even know what all it will include besides online but I would be fine with paying $20-$30 for it. If it's $40 or more....ehhhh. If it comes with a song pack with a good selection of songs (like 25 or so like Blitz) I could MAYBE pay $40 for it.

I mean the base game is $60 so this expansion can't be any more than half of that ($30) right? I know it's silly speculating when we don't even know what all it will include besides online but I would be fine with paying $20-$30 for it. If it's $40 or more....ehhhh. If it comes with a song pack with a good selection of songs (like 25 or so like Blitz) I could MAYBE pay $40 for it.

I'm thinking it'll probably be $15-20 if they don't include songs, and $30 or so if they do. From a financial point of view, I think they're probably better off including a ten pack or so of songs, especially if they can get a song or two in there that's been highly requested.

teddymeow

All this talk of an update and in Europe PS4 players are still waiting for exports and wotnot.

Shame it's too late to get a refund on the game.

SCEE and Harmonix should be ashamed of themselves for this absolute balls up.

^^^^
yeah this as well, it was extra mean to announce that ALL exports would be out in January (which wasn't even the case for other regions//platforms either).

Would be nice if the expansion includes at least new songs but "We're talking about this, but honestly don't have everything nailed down yet" is code for nope I guess.

Note also the wording for "Chapter 2" and "2017" which implies there will be an "expansion" (more like a subscription for feature patches) every year...

I don't care about online mp in RB at all but I'll closely follow the updates considering everything will be behind a new paywall now. I guess the sales from the songs don't foot the bills by themselves in the long run.

Also, they really should reduce the price of the digital edition or at least put in on sale from time to time. Maybe when the expansion hits they can at least make an attractive bundle.

Lady Gaia

Note also the wording for "Chapter 2" and "2017" which implies there will be an "expansion" (more like a subscription for feature patches) every year...

Harmonix has stated that updates with bug fixes and minor improvements will continue to be delivered to everyone, as with the filtering/rating additions coming this fall. Major features will be paid additions that you can opt into, or not.

The fact that we all get baseline fixes, share leaderboards and DLC is a huge step up from the previous numbered releases IMHO. I look forward to seeing what the first expansion brings and deciding on those merits whether I want to purchase it.

SFenton

Also, they really should reduce the price of the digital edition or at least put in on sale from time to time. Maybe when the expansion hits they can at least make an attractive bundle.

Betting this is what happens. New PDP bundles won't be bundled with base RB4, it will be with RB4 + Expansion 1. Digital RB4 will drop in price to $30 OR disappear completely, with the $60 version being replaced with RB4 + Expansion 1, so on, so forth as time goes on.

RB4 has been on sale on both Xbox Live and PSN at least once at this point. I'd imagine that because of music licensing, it's hard to give it a deep discount because the artists still need to get paid.

Bauer91

RB4 has been on sale on both Xbox Live and PSN at least once at this point. I'd imagine that because of music licensing, it's hard to give it a deep discount because the artists still need to get paid.

Not in Europe (PSN) though. Just one more disadvantage of being a European (PS4) music game fan...

Buying the guitar + disc bundle here is just a bit more expensive (20 euros) than just getting the game digitally on the UK PSN store.

FyreWulff

http://www.rockbandaide.com/22041/pax-east-talks-with-community-managers-josh-and-criss/

Not much new, factoids such as online was greenlit only two months ago, and they confirm all the QOL and such updates are free to everyone with the base game.

also Microsoft greenlit the ekit adapter only five days ago.

also this tidbit was interesting

You ever talk with the Rocksmith team and tell each other, “Hey, these guys are willing to play ball now, give them a call.”?

Josh: “Ooh, no, but we should.”

Criss: “That’s a good idea.”

Josh: “Yeah, our licensing is a bit different, but since we’re not competing in the market with those guys, we totally could. They seem super nice, they’d probably be down for it!”

Also no paid characters to play with, causes too many issues with royalties.

The biggest song loss for me is Sex Machine by James Brown. That was one of the few songs I could actually do on vocals and five star.

The reason that's my biggest loss is because I downloaded the pack, and I still can't get the other two songs because I'm technically not entitled yet.

I thought all the songs transferred over?

That's one of the ones that was removed from the store.

The reason that's my biggest loss is because I downloaded the pack, and I still can't get the other two songs because I'm technically not entitled yet.

That's one of the ones that was removed from the store.

Trying to remember the other songs in that pack.

As for the songs from packs, I am still waiting for the full 2112 track to get out there. It just doesn't feel right playing it in chunks.

Trying to remember the other songs in that pack.

As for the songs from packs, I am still waiting for the full 2112 track to get out there. It just doesn't feel right playing it in chunks.

One of them was Pick Up the Pieces by Average White Band, and I'd have to look up the third one.

Edit: Shining Star by Earth, Wind & Fire.

Was it Shining Star? Because I bought Pick up the Pieces before, but can't remember if I have played it in RB4 yet.

I've got the patience of a saint, so I'm okay with waiting for it, but if I'm being honest I haven't played the game since they released the first Weeknd song. I'm waiting for all the exports to be available before I start the tour/career mode.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man, playing the Lego Rock Band songs has been so amazing. So many great songs there imo. One thing that is not possible anymore is that I wish I would have played some of these songs pre-lowered crowd patch. You can barely hear the crowd singalongs and Lego RB had some good ones too. Sigh.

Shoeless

Man, playing the Lego Rock Band songs has been so amazing. So many great songs there imo. One thing that is not possible anymore is that I wish I would have played some of these songs pre-lowered crowd patch. You can barely hear the crowd singalongs and Lego RB had some good ones too. Sigh.

I know what you mean. "We Are The Champions" would have been pretty impressive with the old crowd sing-along levels.

I'm actually surprised they didn't just let users keep both options and have the max crowd volume for sing-alongs be what it was in the original release, but let users adjust it to the level to suit their taste. I actually liked it when it was quite loud.

zulux21

28Qswa5.png
on best buy meaning 20% more can be taken off if you are a GCU member.

with it being $50 after GCU and taxes and me being able to sell/trade the game for 17-25 I am tempted to get a $30 guitar for no other reason than auto-calibration.

would it be worth it if I don't feel like i can currently get the calibration right?

Gorger

on best buy meaning 20% more can be taken off if you are a GCU member.

with it being $50 after GCU and taxes and me being able to sell/trade the game for 17-25 I am tempted to get a $30 guitar for no other reason than auto-calibration.

would it be worth it if I don't feel like i can currently get the calibration right?

Personally autocalibration isn't working very well for me. I have a 55'' HD TV connected to a receiver through HDMI, and they give me completely wrong numbers especially with video. Audio is more on point, but it's still incredible difficulty for me to calibrate Rock Band 4 properly. It also doesn't help that it feels like the game goes further out of synch the longer you play. It's just extremely frustrating to constantly have to exit the game to fiddle with the calibration settings when nothing you do seem to improve it. .

Hopefully Harmonix will improve calibration it in the future, at least they have been asking people about their TV's and calibration settings, so maybe they are onto something.

Then again for others, it was just a matter of autocalibrating once and the thing worked flawlessly. So it's really hard to say.

Top Bottom