• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

ViciousDS

Banned
any news on madcatz and firmware for the drums yet? Xbox One drums are fucking unplayable with the missed rolls and foot pedal. I know its not the sensors because the drums can detect soft taps really, really well....its just rolls still even after the firmware update are still borked.

I think I used online once in all my storied career with the series.

There are way more important things they should be adding and fixing in my opinion.

Loved the Rock Band Blitz trick, more DLC!

opoth

Banned
This kinda shocks me if it's accurate.

Not typical for GAF, but likely typical for the world at large.

I don't miss online in its RB3 type of iteration. If you weren't playing Expert all the time you'd quickly get booted from games in most cases. I do feel bad for the people who miss it. Hopefully if everyone takes a chance on Harmonix with RB4 that is a feature that will come back eventually.

So none of my legacy guitars work (Beatles Les Paul and RB2 Fender). I plug in the dongle, and it registers (shows up in RB4 when I plug it in) but the guitars spend forever trying to sync. They just blink endlessly. I don't think it's a problem with the dongle since it works on my PS3, and so do the instuments. Very annoying.

zulux21

And how many play on Expert? Should that be ditched as well?

Online needs to be patched, as well as a bunch of other old features.

they removed a feature that wasn't used much that would cost a ton of money to include thus maybe they should have just removed all things that aren't used much even if they cost almost nothing to do....

is that seriously your counter point?

I mean I am far more upset we don't have keys/pro keys but I understand it was a very tiny player base that used them and it takes quite a bit of time and energy to chart the unique keys part as compared to merely adding one more chart to a chart you are already doing.

it's a shame features were removed, but they are indie now, funny thing you can't do as much with less funding.

ViciousDS

Banned
they removed a feature that wasn't used much that would cost a ton of money to include thus maybe they should have just removed all things that aren't used much even if they cost almost nothing to do....

is that seriously your counter point?

I mean I am far more upset we don't have keys/pro keys but I understand it was a very tiny player base that used them and it takes quite a bit of time and energy to chart the unique keys part as compared to merely adding one more chart to a chart you are already doing.

it's a shame features were removed, but they are indie now, funny thing you can't do as much with less funding.

Mine are still sitting in the box un opened.....so yes....they didn't get used lol

Online needs to be patched, as well as a bunch of other old features.

Expert difficulty is like the main reason these games exist, though. I mean, no, not everyone plays it, but it's telling that almost all song videos on YouTube are on Expert difficulty.

FaintDeftone

Amazon is showing that they have the Xbox One legacy bundle in-stock right now. Hopefully that means my Best Buy will have them today and I can finally go buy the damn game.

So, MS Canada shipped the guitar bundle, by far the cheapest in town $129 + $20 gift card. But it doesn't look like they have any of the download bonus. Harmonix have said everything bonus will show up on the store right?

Then you find out only 2% of people played RB online, so it's no wonder that they were all expert players. Me, I don't want to work that hard to have fun. Hard guitar is what I play mostly.

FyreWulff

Then you find out only 2% of people played RB online, so it's no wonder that they were all expert players. Me, I don't want to work that hard to have fun. Hard guitar is what I play mostly.

And out of that 2%, 1-2% of that slice of the pie ever actually used versus, which is why it was cut for RB3

It was also sort of a logistics problem, since it would have been something like 60 different 'playlists' to accomodate all the possible instrument, difficulty, and gametype (tug of war, score duel) combinations

Dominator

Someone in this thread mentioned that they will be releasing the drums on their own sometime next year, does anybody else know if this is true? I want the game but can't swing the band-in-a-box bundle. I'll wait if it isn't true but if it is I'll probably get the guitar bundle now.

FyreWulff

Someone in this thread mentioned that they will be releasing the drums on their own sometime next year, does anybody else know if this is true? I want the game but can't swing the band-in-a-box bundle. I'll wait if it isn't true but if it is I'll probably get the guitar bundle now.

yes, it's early 2016 for all individual instruments

Standalone instruments are definitely coming next year.

opoth

Banned

I'm a mix of hard and expert, I just like to have fun. I also miss keys more than online. I think the problem with keys is that the difficulty creep wasn't as rewarding to power through as the other instruments. It's a lot less immersive than guitar or especially drums, imo.

I think Rock Band certainly has a hardcore niche but it's overarching theme is to be a fun party game, and I think Harmonix has accurately correlated that their most vocal fans are most of the same ones who play online.

It's important to cater to those people too but I'm sure they realize that if corners had to be cut, it's easier to provide an experience to make 90% of people satisfied on day 1 - build up some overall goodwill and offer instrument and DLC compatibility to the gamers to tide them over until some of their other desired features come into place. The music and instruments provide the overall backbone of the experience and all of that is there (keys aside) which is great.

I have a feeling that most hardcore rhythm gamers are entrenched in the worlds of Beatmania IIDX or pop'n music anyways, I know a lot of those players turn up their nose at Rock Band for not being hardcore enough for their skillsets, so high end Rock Band is in a weird spot where it's too daunting for most and not challenging enough for some.

Hottest tip: You can toggle freestyle on/off with Down D-pad. So if you're doing something like More Than a Feeling or something where the solo is the iconic thing about the song, you can get it changed real fast.

I feel like more tutorial tips or something similar would clear some of this shit up?

mantis23

I believe that Expert is the only one actually charted manually. All lower difficulties are generated using some algorithm based on the expert chart. They just take the base expert chart and remove notes accordingly.

I need to get in and play for a little while but no online multiplayer doesn't affect me at all. Not saying people shouldn't be upset, but it doesn't upset me.

Heck, I'm more concerned about character creation and playlists and such for local multiplayer (which should be easy and not expensive) than I'll ever be about online (which should be expensive and hard to nail down).

SCEE are slowly but surely adding stuff, which is both good and bad. On the one hand I'm getting the oportunity to go through all my new and old songs and appreciate them properly, like in the older DLC-less games. On the other hand I want my god damn Rush songs.

I keep track of things by going to Rock Band's DLC and ticking the "PS4" box on the side, going through page by page. Seems to be around 330 tracks so far, but a lot of them are still asking for money, not free yet. RB3 only has the two tracks, that doesn't seem to be a priority yet.

I purchased a Coldplay compilation, and Green Day (American Idiot) plus a couple of Nirvana songs on store.playstation.com (all tracks were marked as PS3 | PS4). Was able to download and see them in RB3 on PS3. I downloaded them from my library on PS4 but none of them showed up in RB4 (even after closing and reopening application). Did I do something wrong?

I purchased a Coldplay compilation, and Green Day (American Idiot) plus a couple of Nirvana songs on store.playstation.com (all tracks were marked as PS3 | PS4). Was able to download and see them in RB3 on PS3. I downloaded them from my library on PS4 but none of them showed up in RB4 (even after closing and reopening application). Did I do something wrong?

Sounds like you did everything right.
Check your download list on the web store, there may be separate PS4 and PS3 versions you need to download.

MrNelson

Banned
Did you power cycle your system? That happened to me yesterday when I bought the Chevelle pack and they didn't show up until I turned off my system fully and rebooted.

I downloaded them from my library on PS4 but none of them showed up in RB4 (even after closing and reopening application). Did I do something wrong?
It might be worth restarting your PS4 (not just rest mode and back again, but a full restart).

I was running into the same issue pulling in the Rock Band Blitz songs, which were marked as 'Installed' but wouldn't show up in the game, even after rebuilding the song cache and closing/restarting the game repeatedly. They showed up instantly after restarting the PS4.

Is there an easy way to use headphones on Xone while playing guitar? I tried plugging in to the headphone port (RB2 guitar), but that didn't work.

Is there an easy way to use headphones on Xone while playing guitar? I tried plugging in to the headphone port (RB2 guitar), but that didn't work.

I did this last night by using the optical out on my TV, plugging that into an optical to RCA converter, and then routing that into an RCA to 3.5 mm jack so I can mix it with the rest of my PC audio. There's a lot to it but it's worked with everything I've tried it with. Also use most of that for my speaker set up as well.

Just realized you said easy. Well...

espher

Fredericton, NB, Canada 10/08/2015 8:35 Out for Delivery

AHHHH IT'S HAPPENING

With my billing struggles I didn't expect to get it before the long weekend.

DarkOneX

I wonder if you really cannot get RB2 import codes from EA anymore? I've tried 10 times now and always told it's impossible and almost every time they say to contact Harmonix. This last guy said they quit generating codes 2 months ago even though I pointed out that's false as people got codes from them as recently as yesterday. Maybe I'm choosing the wrong options in chat? Any suggestions?

Yaari

I wonder if you really cannot get RB2 import codes from EA anymore? I've tried 10 times now and always told it's impossible and almost every time they say to contact Harmonix. This last guy said they quit generating codes 2 months ago even though I pointed out that's false as people got codes from them as recently as yesterday. Maybe I'm choosing the wrong options in chat? Any suggestions?

They keep throwing out those timelines like 2 months etc, but I got 2 codes last week. I dont really know how it works anyway. They really seem to operate very differently from another. Sometimes you get lucky and thats it.

That robotrock guy in here got a code last night, that's the most recent one. So it still happens. But it does seem to get more difficult each day.

Neil_J_UK

Sorry I know it's been mentioned before but I can't see it -

I'm updating the firmware on my XB1 drums, but it instantly says updated as soon as I click 'next' after putting it into firmware mode. It seems to do it so quick it's hard to believe it's actually doing anything. Is this right?

Stanng243

I'm really hoping they fix the Doors packs soon. I would really like to play those songs again, but I don't want to pay twice for them.

I'm really hoping they fix the Doors packs soon. I would really like to play those songs again, but I don't want to pay twice for them.

Honestly want them to prioritise that stuff before any of the exports, let's fix all the problems with legacy DLC before we move on to something that could cause even more issues.

MrNelson

Banned
Honestly want them to prioritise that stuff before any of the exports, let's fix all the problems with legacy DLC before we move on to something that could cause even more issues.
I would rather they fix what is going on with the drums first, but I know they won't :/

opoth

Banned

It's all really the same thing - there are a few corner cases, but the thing that is stopping people from downloading particular songs in the majority of cases is tied to the fact that those songs were acquired in song packs that no longer exist in the store, and the RB4 store doesn't have the packs section populated yet.

These include preorder bonuses (The Doors + 3 Gamestop 3 song preorder pack) track pack exports and full game exports.

Bauer91

Expert difficulty is like the main reason these games exist, though. I mean, no, not everyone plays it, but it's telling that almost all song videos on YouTube are on Expert difficulty.

You can also find a ton of (online) full band FC videos on YouTube but those.are a minority, most people don't play on Expert like they don't play online.

Personally I do play on Expert and rarely played online but removing a feature (and many others) that were in every previous entry yet still asking full price for it is not great, no matter how smaller the team might be now. Like I said, I'm patient and hopeful that they'll patch everything in in a couple of months and make it a worthy successor to RB3, but let's not pretend this game isn't a downgrade in many ways right now.

Error1355

Also am I being weird that I want to wait until I can get the exports in my game to actually sit down and play the game more? I feel weird playing without everything I own in the game...

Top Bottom