• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

jond76

Banned
So, is anyone else getting huge frame stutters almost every 5 seconds on the dot while playing the Xbox One version? Perhaps I will try to upload a video tonight, but it almost feels like the game is going from a solid 60fps for 5 seconds, then going over 60fps for 5 seconds, and my TV can't handle it, so it stutters? It doesn't feel like a performance issues since it occurs so consistently. It looks pretty terrible though.

I'm still having a good time with the game, I can still play, but this makes the game feels incredibly cheap. I assume it's just a bug, perhaps only with certain display types, but please fix this asap Harmonix!

Xbox here. I have not seen that at all. Been smooth for me.

Xbox here. I have not seen that at all. Been smooth for me.

Same, smooth sailing the whole time I played last night.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I found this thread, with someone having the same issue on Rock Band 3. Apparently Sony TV's may have a feature called motionflow that I need to turn off?:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/971478-rock-band-3/60212914

I do happen to have an older Sony HD, so perhaps that's is what is going on.

Lady Gaia

I stuck with the same band name we used in RB3 because it was too perfect. A friend of ours was singing with a local cover band called "Pop Tarts" so we created an all-girl virtual tribute band named "Toaster Strüdolls."

Hutty211

Just curious for others' experiences with AVR audio lag. I have an Onkyo 737, tried every possible combination and ended up going with optical to the receiver, AVR listening mode to direct, xbox set to uncompressed stereo for optical output....the lowest I can get is about 97 ms of audio lag. Seems kind of high to me, but this is my first go round with this generation of consoles and this receiver.

EDIT: This is using an xbox one strat for calibration.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just curious for others' experiences with AVR audio lag. I have an Onkyo 737, tried every possible combination and ended up going with optical to the receiver, AVR listening mode to direct, xbox set to uncompressed stereo for optical output....the lowest I can get is about 97 ms of audio lag. Seems kind of high to me, but this is my first go round with this generation of consoles and this receiver.

Try manual calibration, I did that and noticed it's better than the auto. (not sure if u tried that or not)

This is why I switched to using Hyperspeed in Guitar Hero II onwards, a towel in Rock Band and Breakneck Speed in RB2 onwards. It's faster by far, but the extra spacing really helps with note clarity.

Unless you already have BNS turned on. In which case my bad. I do agree about the loss of practice mode though. Sometimes I like just playing guitar solos.
Yeah I have BNS on but between playing tough riffs with no practice and adjusting to the RB fretboard from the GH ones, it's pretty damn annoying missing stuff I feel I should've hit.

SHarris78

Am i right in thinking you can buy songs from within the game, but at the moment you can't necessarily download them?

Bought Iron Maiden pack 01 and can't find it anywhere to download!

(In the UK btw)

So out of curiosity, what did everyone here name their band in the game?

The wife and I went for something new.

In RB1/2/3 we called ourselves the "Super Happy Fun-Time Band"

But I guess we outgrew it. We both had some pretty rough landmark birthdays this year, so we decided to go with "Pre-Midlyfe Crisis"

Yes we intentionally put the y in there as if we're trying to hang on to being young cool and hip.

My wife has become a huge persona fan since rb3 so we're currently the investigation team

but I want to rename us to Zed Zed Bottom because i'm an idiot and thing that's funny

and i'm going to tonight when I get home because she cant stop me

ViciousDS

Banned

RB2 change all number meanings since RB2

RB1 my latency with a monitor was 0ms audio, and 6ms video

That all changed in RB2 and my numbers with the same exact setup was 30/36 they changed the baseline or something.,.....again RB3 also was different.

Completely ignore the numbers I think the defaults are 100/100 meaning your optical cable needs to be held for 3ms to sync with the video.

My 2cents.....but I haven't been able to go by the numbers other than reference points for recalibrating since RB2.

Picked up the BiaB last night at Target.. ahh the feels.

Haven't played Rock Band since 2, actually got the girlfriend to play a video game with me!

Time to ship the kids off to grandma's, hire an uber for the friends and get our rocking & drinking on!

From what I saw in the first post.. is there no way to get the songs from RB1 and RB2 into RB4 for free yet? I had all the data on an Xbox 360 USB drive somewhere..

Raide

Picked up the BiaB last night at Target.. ahh the feels.

Haven't played Rock Band since 2, actually got the girlfriend to play a video game with me!

Time to ship the kids off to grandma's, hire an uber for the friends and get our rocking & drinking on!

From what I saw in the first post.. is there no way to get the songs from RB1 and RB2 into RB4 for free yet? I had all the data on an Xbox 360 USB drive somewhere..

Still in the works. I hope its sooner than later. Getting the Exported DLC should have been Number 1 priority tbh.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yeah 360 instruments had no power switches.
They worked 100% natively with Xbox 360.
They powered off just like regular 360 controllers. Guide -> select power off controller
Huh, never knew that.
Seems a bit annoying to be honest :p

Hey guys, I pre-ordered this on the playstation store but I'm not a plus member. Should I still get the pre-order songs? I got the theme at least..

Problem is I haven't gotten the songs but I can't buy them either. It says "You already own Rock Band 4 Pre-Order".

I just want 'Throne' man..
I don't think so, AFAIK the preorder songs were PS+ exclusive... which is odd given that the game doesn't have an online mode (and thus no need for PS+)

THE DEFINITIVE RB4 EXPORT POST

I want to export RB1 to RB4. What do I do?
Buy the key off PSN while you still can. Then, you wait. When exports get implemented into RB4, you'll presumably have everything you need.

But I heard you need a RB1 disc to export the songs!
You need a RB1 disc to export the songs to the PS3 hard drive for use in other PS3 RB games. This of course won't be possible on the PS4 and happens entirely locally on your PS3 system, so Harmonix will presumably use only your purchase of the key when deciding your eligibility to obtain the RB1 tracks on RB4. In short, the RB1 disc will not be necessary.

What if I already exported RB1 tracks to RB2 and/or RB3?
You already have everything you need. The discussion about buying the key is among people who did not originally do so. Rest assured, you're good.

I want to export RB2 to RB4. What do I do?
You're gonna need a copy of RB3, first of all. Then, you're gonna have to contact EA support and try and convince them to give you an export code. After that, you'll use the export code in the Get More Songs menu inside RB3. You'll be prompted to pay 10$, and after that, you should be good.

Do I need to download the RB2 songs to my PS3 after purchasing the export key? I don't have enough hard drive space!
That's inconsequential. You don't have to.

EA says they've stopped supporting Rock Band and to contact Harmonix.
This is essentially true, but regardless, they do have access to export codes for whatever reason, and they're your only opportunity to get one.

No matter what I say, EA support won't give me a code! What do I say?
People have reported numerous things to say to support to help achieve the code, but it more often than not seems like luck. Be persistent, be respectful, and hope you get a helpful agent. Many times, people have reported being told no consistently, only to be given the code immediately without hesitation by the next agent.

I already exported RB2 to RB3. Do I need to get a key?
You do not! The original way to export RB2, as I'm sure you remember, was to use the code from the manual at a Harmonix website which would generate a download code that you could then put in RB3. The keys we're hassling EA for are those download codes. You've already completed that step and you're good.

What about the track packs? The AC/DC track pack, too!
EA has access to those codes as well, but reports of people successfully obtaining one are few and far between. Your mileage may vary.
UPDATE The track packs are now being rolled out across PSN and Xbox. I will edit this with links soon, but feel free to check out the last few pages of the thread for links.

What about Green Day Rock Band?
For whatever reason, it would appear that EA is all but out of these codes. Again, your mileage may vary.

How do I redeem track pack and Green Day Rock Band codes?
The same way you redeem RB2 export codes-- through RB3. I'm sure a few of them can be exported to RB2 instead, but I'm frankly not sure which. The result is the same.

What about Lego Rock Band?
WB was issuing replacement codes until a few months ago, but they've since stopped completely and have shown no signs of compromise. For all intents and purposes, it's impossible to export Lego Rock Band now.

I already exported Lego Rock Band! Does that mean I can't use those songs in RB4?
Not at all! You're the lucky few, the proud. You will be able to play Lego Rock Band tracks in RB4 when that's available. Please share your account with me so I can play Free Fallin'. :x

What about Rock Band Blitz?
I've got good news! Rock Band Blitz export now works. In my case, I simply went onto my PS3 and opened Rock Band Blitz back up. It asked me to download the soundtrack again, and when I initiated the download, it updated the PS4 entitlement on my PSN account and I was able to access the songs individually (not as a pack!) on RB4. Please let me know if this works on the Xbone.

When and how can I get the exported songs on my RB4?
It's frankly unclear when and how, but the few track packs that have been released showed up as packs on the webstore. Anyone who was entitled to them is able to push the downloads to their PS4 from there. How these will be rolled out onto the in-game store is unclear, as is whether or not that will apply to the remainder of the exports. I'll update this answer as the process refines.
Good man, this should be added to the OP.

Can anybody summarize these drum issues for me? I have the legacy adapter on the way and just wanted to know if people are experiencing issues using their RB 2 drum kits. Is it tied to the game/calibration, or is it people having issues with the new RB 4 kits?
The drum issues seem to be for the RB4 kit only. I had some issues with my RB2 kit on PS4, but got resolved after reinstalling the game and recalibrating using the drums, so you should be fine.

I just made 2 dozen PSN purchases to get all the stuff purchased. Picked up the game today, finally.
When new files are correctly marked as free, what's the easiest way to find those to purchase for redownloading? I can't peruse all 60 pages on the PSN webstore every week.
Using the ingame store is the best way. PSN has a "Free" filter, but like everything PSN seems to not actually work as expected XD

Love the countdowns......tells me how much time I have to run to the fridge for a beer!!!!
The countdowns are the best new thing in RB4 to me (well, second best, since scrolling your song library is not slow as molasses anymore :D )

Yup. For me specifically, that one and the Offspring one are the only ones I own that aren't working. Queen lets you buy but not download, and Offspring gives you an error when you try to buy.
I'm having that issue with The Offspring pack, but the Queen pack that I have (Pack 01) is nowhere to be found D:

If anyone is interested the Chevelle pack is mispriced at $1.99. It was never a part of the sale because it was RB3 dlc.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...k-01/cid=UP8802-BLUS30463_00-RBCHEVELL4605C00
Nice find, gonna jump on this.

I went back to the tweet link to explicitly make sure that didn't happen. I blame this on my tablet and me being dumb. Sorry!

Hopefully this works.
Filled it, also found funny that in "What Rock Band titles have you owned and/or regularly played?" I had to tick every single box
yes, I own even Unplugged

Stupid ?. I don't own RB4 yet, but plan to in the future. Do you have to pay to get all of your legacy DLC like Lego Rock Band, Green Day, RB2, etc.?
If you have already exported it to X360/PS3, no.
If you never exported it back then:
RB1 - buy the key from the store.
RB2 - Try your luck with EA Support, but they seem to not be giving codes anymore.
LRB - no longer can be exported in any way.
GDRB - same situation as Lego.

I never managed to make the jump from Hard to Expert unfortunately. I really want to be able to do it but I'm just not good enough.

I suck at rhythm games but I like them a lot.
Hah, same here. I love playing the pro drums, but stick with Hard, and maaaaybe a couple of songs in Expert, but those that have too many kicks or weird beats tend to kill me :(

I'm in the same boat as you. But hey, as long as we're having fun who cares! =P
This is correct :D

The time and effort I put into going from Easy to Expert on guitar is one of my favorite gaming experiences and I don't think I could ever replicate it. That said, a game should be fun above all. If you have fun on Hard stick with that. I'd say dip your toe into some low tier Expert songs every now and then. You might surprise yourself
This.
When I got the game I could barely coordinate my arms and leg XD and now I can play basically anything on Hard or Expert :D
Such an amazing feeling.

I've been trying that but it never does anything.

Also, where is my Gay Bar? I paid for it. If I can't play Gay Bar in Rock Band I will be pissed. And sad.
Gay Bar is there, but you should search for the pack if you got that instead of the song.

What was it called when you tried using it on PSN? Green Day Rock Band™ Export Pack, or Green Day: Rock Band™ Exportable Offer Entitlement?

The former is the actual export pack while the latter is... I dunno, whatever tf I got. Anyone have any clue what to do?
I have both, the pack is the actual download, the entitlement (which is a service) is what gives you access to the pack.

Ugh, I think I fucked up getting some of my DLC on PS4.

So I started going through the in game store to look for tracks I previously bought on my PS3. Well, I would find a track, select it, then "buy" it again, but didn't click the download button. So after about doing that for about 10 songs, I realized that they weren't downloading and tried to go back to actually download them. Well now I can't do anything. I click the song and it says there's nothing I can do. I even went on the PSN website to find the songs and I see that they say "Unavailable". When I click on them to see why, it says I already purchased it and gives me no "Download" option. It's also not in my download queue. How the hell do I get those songs? I also sometimes see a "..." where the price should be in the Rock Band 4 in game store for some songs. What does that mean?
If the tracks show up as purchased, check your download list (yes, list, not queue), they should be there.
The ones with the dots are not available yet.

Am I seriously an idiot but I can't figure out how to export the tracks from RockBand Blitz to RB4... I bought it originally when it came out. Any help would be appreciated.
Start Blitz on your PS3 while online, it'll prompt you to redownload the songs. Accept and a PSN window will show for you to "purchase" the soundtrack, do it (it's free purchase). Switch to your PS4 and the tracks should appear in the "My Add-Ons" section of RB4 on the dashboard.

As a developer, it's pretty consistent that gamers tend to think online has a much bigger adoption rate than it actually does.

It's also expensive to implement.
Yup.

So none of my legacy guitars work (Beatles Les Paul and RB2 Fender). I plug in the dongle, and it registers (shows up in RB4 when I plug it in) but the guitars spend forever trying to sync. They just blink endlessly. I don't think it's a problem with the dongle since it works on my PS3, and so do the instuments. Very annoying.
I had that issue, just hit the sync button on the dongle and they'll sync instantly.

Only 5% of players play expert. They are just very loud on teh Internetwebs.
Unlike online, I don't think they can exactly measure how many people use Expert mode.

I purchased a Coldplay compilation, and Green Day (American Idiot) plus a couple of Nirvana songs on store.playstation.com (all tracks were marked as PS3 | PS4). Was able to download and see them in RB3 on PS3. I downloaded them from my library on PS4 but none of them showed up in RB4 (even after closing and reopening application). Did I do something wrong?
Happened to me the other day, quit the game -> Power Options -> Reset PS4.
Tracks should appear when you restart the game after that.

It's not.

You can take his bullshit, made up number and multiply it by 5.*

*10% still is a really poopy number
The number was said by Harmonix, very much doubt it's bullshit.

2 % sounds like such a ridiculous low number and doesn't mesh with my experience at all after 5-6 years of playing Rock Band online. I have personally met hundreds if not thousands of people online, and maxed my friend list with Rock Band players years ago before Sony raised the cap. Online has always been active, and the players unusually dedicated and loyal compared to other games with online. It's not uncommon seeing friends I've added years ago still playing RB3. Most of my PSN whispers are from RB3 invites. Overall it's one of the best online communities I've been part of. It's sad we're not bringing this feature to the next generation. I really hope they'll add it soon.
The percentage is across all games, which have sold millions. "Thousands" is still a single digit percentage of that.

So out of curiosity, what did everyone here name their band in the game?

The wife and I went for something new.

In RB1/2/3 we called ourselves the "Super Happy Fun-Time Band"

But I guess we outgrew it. We both had some pretty rough landmark birthdays this year, so we decided to go with "Pre-Midlyfe Crisis"

Yes we intentionally put the y in there as if we're trying to hang on to being young cool and hip.
I have had bands in RB named "NüllPøintêrÆxception" and "StähkØverrflô" (very nerdy metal XD)
For RB3 and RB4 I named it "Brightslap"

Some of these fucking ridiculous solos and no practice mode. Nothing more fun than failing right at the end because you don't know what the hell is coming or how to even read it.

This is seriously annoying.
Enable No Fail mode.
I mean, not the same since you can't change the speed of the song but it's something :p

ive been wondering if i can use chronusmax to play with my wired xplorer guitar from xbox360 Guitar Hero 2. i really do not want to spend like $200, in Brazil this gonna be like R$2000, almost as expensive as the console itself.

Enthus

If anybody is looking to sell a Hofner for PS3, I'm very interested. It's basically the only thing keeping me from buying Rock Band 4.

So out of curiosity, what did everyone here name their band in the game?.

Went for London Calling.

Hopefully they get the custom bands sorted soon, I want to make sure everyone is lovely.

Edit: Few more songs up. The ones I've seen are Miss Independent, I Predict a Riot, Jesus Built my Hotrod (I presume the rest of the Ministry 02, too.) , I'm Shipping Up to Boston and Empty Walls. They have Beethoven's Cunt and Empty Walls but no Sky is Over yet :(

bigkurz

Banned
I saw the following above and need some clarification:

"I want to export RB2 to RB4. What do I do?
You're gonna need a copy of RB3, first of all. Then, you're gonna have to contact EA support and try and convince them to give you an export code. After that, you'll use the export code in the Get More Songs menu inside RB3. You'll be prompted to pay 10$, and after that, you should be good."

When I contacted EA, they gave me a PSN code that unlocked "ROCK BAND 2 Export Pack Unlock. "

I assumed that by getting that, I'm covered for getting my rb2 songs into 4.

The above post, however, makes it seem like I need access to rb3 and I can THEN buy the unlock within rb3 to get the songs into 4.

I know all these threads are getting annoying, but I'm hoping for some clarification. So I really need to track down a rb3 even though I've now redeemed a voucher for "ROCK BAND 2 Export Pack Unlock " ?

You're gonna need a copy of RB3, first of all. Then, you're gonna have to contact EA support and try and convince them to give you an export code. After that, you'll use the export code in the Get More Songs menu inside RB3. You'll be prompted to pay 10$, and after that, you should be good."

When I contacted EA, they gave me a PSN code that unlocked "ROCK BAND 2 Export Pack Unlock. "

The above post, however, makes it seem like I need access to rb3 and I can THEN buy the unlock within rb3 to get the songs into 4.

I know all these threads are getting annoying, but I'm hoping for some clarification. So I really need to track down a rb3 even though I've now redeemed a voucher for "ROCK BAND 2 Export Pack Unlock " ?

Not to be selfish and hijack, but when did you contact them and who did you talk to? I know there are a few people struggling to get codes, and a case file or a specific person could do wonders.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Check if you have "Rock Band™ 2 Export Pack" on your PS3 download list. If you do, you are set, otherwise you will need to do the RB3 step.

Guys, I fucking five starred Mainstream Kid.

I don't need to mention it anymore!

Also the highest ranked person on the PS4 leaderboards has 99%. Fucking nobody has got 100% on the song. Hell, somebody has got 100% on Metropolis and that's meant to be the hardest on-disc.

Bladelaw

Is there a way to sort just on disk songs?

I want to go through the new stuff before I settle into my old rhythm (which is likely to happen when the export packs happen).

EDIT: the "new" sort doesn't work since I was grabbing DLC before I got the game...and right after getting the game since I heard the process was smoother.

Is there a way to sort just on disk songs?

I want to go through the new stuff before I settle into my old rhythm (which is likely to happen when the export packs happen).

EDIT: the "new" sort doesn't work since I was grabbing DLC before I got the game...and right after getting the game since I heard the process was smoother.

Sort by "Date Acquired" and one of the headings is disc songs. They really need to bring back RB3 style sorting.

MrNelson

Banned
Has anyone on PS4 been able to stream on Twitch with audio? I've tried the last two days and both times all I heard was crowd noise, but looking at Live from Playstation there are people with music audio coming through.

I think a few of the new songs got charted by Neversoft. I swear, they have that crappy guitar hero feel to 'em.

There's some stuff I never heard on the tracklist that I really do like already.

Does anybody know if the DLC is in any way cross regional? It never used to be, and I've got all of my old DLC from the US where I live in the UK. If I buy the UK RB4, will that DLC work? Blah.

MrNelson

Banned
Does anybody know if the DLC is in any way cross regional? It never used to be, and I've got all of my old DLC from the US where I live in the UK. If I buy the UK RB4, will that DLC work? Blah.
DLC is region locked, so you'll have to get a US copy to play your US dlc.

I think a few of the new songs got charted by Neversoft. I swear, they have that crappy guitar hero feel to 'em.

There's some stuff I never heard on the tracklist that I really do like already.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the later Guitar Hero games were charted poorly and sloppily.

MajorMane

Interesting that the Rock Band DLC sale is still going on for songs on the 360, but not for the exact same songs on the Xbox One. Which means those particular songs are a dollar if you buy them somewhere and two dollars elsewhere.

Top Bottom