• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

aristotle

PS4 Users:

I just found out something really awesome that I haven't seen posted anywhere yet. If you leave your controller plugged in and turned on, the lightbar changes based on the stage lights. If you have more than one, try plugging in as many as you can ;)

Since as a PS3 user we didn't get a stage kit, I guess this makes up for it?

Kolma

PS4 Users:

I just found out something really awesome that I haven't seen posted anywhere yet. If you leave your controller plugged in and turned on, the lightbar changes based on the stage lights. If you have more than one, try plugging in as many as you can ;)

Someone on Reddit had posted a video.

KaYotiX

Banned
even with all the small issues the game itself is so damn fun, the sing a longs make me smile every time especially when its the last song of a set list.

zulux21

PS4 Users:

as far as I can tell only first player has this going on.

I noticed it while singing the other night, personally I find it distracting lol.

jyoung188

Congrats on your Rock Band Early Access purchase.
Expect things to be broken.
No exports out on Xbox One, album and packs broken in store. you can buy more customization stuff in career mode.

Have fun redownloading everything...

Damn, that's a bummer. But since I did those exports back when they came out for each game I'm good for when they show up for RB4 right?

How did you get it to work? Did you download the soundtrack to your PS3 a long time ago? Or did you just buy it?

Bought it awhile ago on release, and redownloaded the game and soundtrack this afternoon. The songs don't show up in the store, you have to go to your add ons when you scroll down the games page on your PS Bar and it'll have those songs available to download with the rest of your DLC you just click the icons to install.

I'm having a Rock Band party for the first time in years tomorrow and I'd be super bummed if the exports aren't working by then :c

Lots of songs that are always played in the exports.

Kolma

Damn, that's a bummer. But since I did those exports back when they came out for each game I'm good for when they show up for RB4 right?

Yep, we are all just waiting now..
PS4 is winning cause they at least have some track packs up and RB Blitz.
I have a feeling some will go up tonight.

On Xbone too? So I can finally install the 30 preorder songs with no problems?

PS4 never had the issue afaik. but yes on Xbone :D

DarkOneX

Ahhhhhhhh! All along all I had to do to export Rock Band 2 into 3 was purchase 3 (grabbed it off XBLive for $20) and put the 16 digit code into the game and paid the $10 and it worked! All that time wasted chatting up EA like 10 times for no reason hah! I was just worried I'd waste $30 for no reason, glad I took the chance! Thanks to whomever it was that said they did it prompting me to try! Happy, now we wait for the export to RB4 :)

Bought it awhile ago on release, and redownloaded the game and soundtrack this afternoon. The songs don't show up in the store, you have to go to your add ons when you scroll down the games page on your PS Bar and it'll have those songs available to download with the rest of your DLC you just click the icons to install.

Where exaclty do you d/l the soundtrack?

Was trying to download more of my old DLC on XBO, but kept getting disconnected from the music store in the game. Bah! I was up to the Rs too. Oh, well. I will finish it another night.

I did notice a weird bug in the game tonight. You can change difficulty level on the fly, but doing so doesn't change what the score threshold seems to be when you first start the song.

I began a song on expert guitar, then switched to hard after a minute or so. I five starred it, but noticed that I was also getting the gold stars beginning to fill before the song ended. It still thought I was on expert for the score.
Another time I switched and 100% the song on hard, but still only got 4.5 stars because it was expecting a much higher score.
The only way to reset it is change difficulty, then hit restart song. That sets everything right it seems.

Also, if you go from hard to expert without starting the song over, it won't let you gold star the song. I found that out the annoying way during an encore.

banjo5150

Well after a disaster first day with the game on PS4 with calibrations going wack in the middle of songs. Went to bed did a little research. Today after work took my time deleted the instruments off the PS4 connected them via Bluetooth to my laptop and updated firmware in the guitar and drums. Meticulously performed an auto calibration using guitar. For my sound system I think echo was throwing off the cal. So I unplugged the rear speakers and calibrated the guitar directly off the center channel. Then darkened the room and did the vidrop calibration. On both cals I had the guitar practically touching the speaker and the TV during their respective cals. It has been perfect ever since. So excited and having a blast.

Just my experience on what worked for me if anyone is interested.

I played a lot of this tonight. I'll have comments tomorrow but holy shit does this game have a lot of issues, and yet it is still pretty fun.

Ahhhhhhhh! All along all I had to do to export Rock Band 2 into 3 was purchase 3 (grabbed it off XBLive for $20) and put the 16 digit code into the game and paid the $10 and it worked! All that time wasted chatting up EA like 10 times for no reason hah! I was just worried I'd waste $30 for no reason, glad I took the chance! Thanks to whomever it was that said they did it prompting me to try! Happy, now we wait for the export to RB4 :)

I am happy to report that after the same fruitless chats with EA I just went and got another copy of rock band 2 with a manual from GameStop for $2 and guess what? Unused code! So that confirms that manual codes still work (12 digit version)

Gonna be getting the game tomorrow, summary of issues? Do I need my 360 to export? Btw I have 1, 2, LEGO, and Blitz all exported to RB3 already.

I'm curious about this too. I think the answer is no action required. Should be available when Harmonix gets it working.

Where exaclty do you d/l the soundtrack?

On my PS3, then I loaded the RB Blitz up real quick and just made sure the base tracks were playable. Then went to my PS4 and went to Rock Band in my Home Bar, scrolled down to addons and the top 24 songs were from RB Blitz and was able to download and install them one by one.

paulogy

Do the new Rock Band 4 instruments work on PS3 with Rock Band 3?

Considering the new band-in-a-box edition, but might just be better off getting an extra old guitar instead (I still have my RB1 full set and keytar, which *do* still work with RB3).

Do the new Rock Band 4 instruments work on PS3 with Rock Band 3?

Considering the new band-in-a-box edition, but might just be better off getting an extra old guitar instead (I still have my RB1 full set, which would still work with RB3).

Nope. They only work on RB4.

zulux21

Thanks. Bummer. So if I want to have a "complete" band (drums, 2 guitars, mic) that works with RB1, 2, 3, AND 4 I'd be best getting something off ebay. Curiously counter-intuitive, but glad it's still an option :)

actually you would be best to run around to your local thrift/pawn shops and see if they have any of them. The good will by me last time I checked had a ton of all the instruments for like $5 each.

if you have no luck with that then pay ebay prices.

LegendX48

Both my instruments went through the with out a hitch. I connected the via Bluetooth to my laptop. Then launched the firmware updater.

they connected fine to the laptop I was using, firmware updater consistently failed whenever it changed to "switching to test mode."

paulogy

actually you would be best to run around to your local thrift/pawn shops and see if they have any of them. The good will by me last time I checked had a ton of all the instruments for like $5 each.

if you have no luck with that then pay ebay prices.

Thanks for the protip. I do believe if anyone was still holding onto their old instruments, but got their hands on a new set instead, their old ones might wind up somewhere :)

AlexBasch

Been a bit lost on the news but AFAIK, the DLC sale was over with the RB4 launch, correct?

Because I was searching for The Fratellis Pack 01 and just bought it for the discounted price in my account (Mexico), yet, when I look for it in the Xbox One store, it's not discounted anymore.

I should be able to transfer this DLC when I get the XB1, correct? Or should I buy the pack again with the adjusted price?

On my PS3, then I loaded the RB Blitz up real quick and just made sure the base tracks were playable. Then went to my PS4 and went to Rock Band in my Home Bar, scrolled down to addons and the top 24 songs were from RB Blitz and was able to download and install them one by one.

Hmm ok. I bought RB4 from a Gaffer so I won't have it until next week. I'll try this then.

On the PS3, I bought Blitz today and it wouldn't let me downlaod the soundtrack on PS3.

Hmm ok. I bought RB4 from a Gaffer so I won't have it until next week. I'll try this then.

On the PS3, I bought Blitz today and it wouldn't let me downlaod the soundtrack on PS3.

Did you try loading up blitz? if you load blitz and don't have the soundtrack downloaded it prompts you in game. Blitz itself is only like 380MB and the soundtrack is like 760mb so needs to be downloaded to play the songs.

Did you try loading up blitz? if you load blitz and don't have the soundtrack downloaded it prompts you in game. Blitz itself is only like 380MB and the soundtrack is like 760mb so needs to be downloaded to play the songs.

I just bought Blitz today. Started it up on PS3 and it promted me to download the soundtrack, I said yes. It then went to PSN where it said there was nothing available. Basically see this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181093686&postcount=2120

This is the same picture I got:
WpGhg0T.jpg

banjo5150

I don't know if I am dumb or what but all this info on exporting and importing past Rock Bands I don't know where to start. See posts ask EA for a code,is there a detailed step by step version on all the ins and outs on how to do all this stuff. I have purchased every version of Rock Band and have all discs and manuals. Only thing digital I have is Rock Band blitz.

Thanks.

Trogdor1123

Guys, im sure this has been asked 100 times and if so I appologize but is there a way to buy rockband 2 digitally and then import all the songs to RB4?

I really want to increase my song choices but dont want to spend too much money. I exported my RB1 stuff to RB2 but im uncertain of how to get that either.

Whats rockband blitz? Can i get those as well? I have a PS3 a PS4 and a PSTV if that matters

Please forgive me for being a moron.

evanmisha

I don't know if I am dumb or what but all this info on exporting and importing past Rock Bands I don't know where to start. See posts ask EA for a code,is there a detailed step by step version on all the ins and outs on how to do all this stuff. I have purchased every version of Rock Band and have all discs and manuals. Only thing digital I have is Rock Band blitz.

Thanks.

THE DEFINITIVE RB4 EXPORT POST

I want to export RB1 to RB4. What do I do?
Buy the key off PSN while you still can. Then, you wait. When exports get implemented into RB4, you'll presumably have everything you need.

But I heard you need a RB1 disc to export the songs!
You need a RB1 disc to export the songs to the PS3 hard drive for use in other PS3 RB games. This of course won't be possible on the PS4 and happens entirely locally on your PS3 system, so Harmonix will presumably use only your purchase of the key when deciding your eligibility to obtain the RB1 tracks on RB4. In short, the RB1 disc will not be necessary.

What if I already exported RB1 tracks to RB2 and/or RB3?
You already have everything you need. The discussion about buying the key is among people who did not originally do so. Rest assured, you're good.

I want to export RB2 to RB4. What do I do?
You're gonna need a copy of RB3, first of all. Then, you're gonna have to contact EA support and try and convince them to give you an export code. After that, you'll use the export code in the Get More Songs menu inside RB3. You'll be prompted to pay 10$, and after that, you should be good.

Do I need to download the RB2 songs to my PS3 after purchasing the export key? I don't have enough hard drive space!
That's inconsequential. You don't have to.

EA says they've stopped supporting Rock Band and to contact Harmonix.
This is essentially true, but regardless, they do have access to export codes for whatever reason, and they're your only opportunity to get one.

No matter what I say, EA support won't give me a code! What do I say?
People have reported numerous things to say to support to help achieve the code, but it more often than not seems like luck. Be persistent, be respectful, and hope you get a helpful agent. Many times, people have reported being told no consistently, only to be given the code immediately without hesitation by the next agent.

I already exported RB2 to RB3. Do I need to get a key?
You do not! The original way to export RB2, as I'm sure you remember, was to use the code from the manual at a Harmonix website which would generate a download code that you could then put in RB3. The keys we're hassling EA for are those download codes. You've already completed that step and you're good.

What about the track packs? The AC/DC track pack, too!
EA has access to those codes as well, but reports of people successfully obtaining one are few and far between. Your mileage may vary.
UPDATE The track packs are now being rolled out across PSN and Xbox. I will edit this with links soon, but feel free to check out the last few pages of the thread for links.

What about Green Day Rock Band?
For whatever reason, it would appear that EA is all but out of these codes. Again, your mileage may vary.

How do I redeem track pack and Green Day Rock Band codes?
The same way you redeem RB2 export codes-- through RB3. I'm sure a few of them can be exported to RB2 instead, but I'm frankly not sure which. The result is the same.

What about Lego Rock Band?
WB was issuing replacement codes until a few months ago, but they've since stopped completely and have shown no signs of compromise. For all intents and purposes, it's impossible to export Lego Rock Band now.

I already exported Lego Rock Band! Does that mean I can't use those songs in RB4?
Not at all! You're the lucky few, the proud. You will be able to play Lego Rock Band tracks in RB4 when that's available. Please share your account with me so I can play Free Fallin'. :x

What about Rock Band Blitz?
I've got good news! Rock Band Blitz export now works. In my case, I simply went onto my PS3 and opened Rock Band Blitz back up. It asked me to download the soundtrack again, and when I initiated the download, it updated the PS4 entitlement on my PSN account and I was able to access the songs individually (not as a pack!) on RB4. Please let me know if this works on the Xbone.

When and how can I get the exported songs on my RB4?
It's frankly unclear when and how, but the few track packs that have been released showed up as packs on the webstore. Anyone who was entitled to them is able to push the downloads to their PS4 from there. How these will be rolled out onto the in-game store is unclear, as is whether or not that will apply to the remainder of the exports. I'll update this answer as the process refines.

I need to update this with the code development but I need confirmation whether or not it works on PS3 or just 360

_woLf

Is this a fucking joke?

I just played a big setlist and it wanted me to do an encore. I picked a song, and right as it was about to start, it popped up a thing saying the song needed an update. So I hit yes, sure, fine whatever. It proceeds to CLOSE THE GAME and update the song.

Had to reboot the game, setlist and tour progress did not save at all. And now I'm getting a ton of "This song needs an update!" bullshit too. Why on earth do INDIVIDUAL SONGS need updates now?

Between this and how badly my drumset drops notes like crazy, I'm thinking I'm fucking done with this game.

Absolutely fucking infuriating. What a colossal waste of $250. I wonder if Best Buy would refund me since the stupid drum set is clearly defective.

/SIGH

Is this a fucking joke?

I just played a big setlist and it wanted me to do an encore. I picked a song, and right as it was about to start, it popped up a thing saying the song needed an update. So I hit yes, sure, fine whatever. It proceeds to CLOSE THE GAME and update the song.

Had to reboot the game, setlist and tour progress did not save at all. And now I'm getting a ton of "This song needs an update!" bullshit too. Why on earth do INDIVIDUAL SONGS need updates now?

Between this and how badly my drumset drops notes like crazy, I'm thinking I'm fucking done with this game.

Absolutely fucking infuriating. What a colossal waste of $250. I wonder if Best Buy would refund me since the stupid drum set is clearly defective.

/SIGH

Woah, calm down there mate. The small updates are to fix the preorder song issues with them all showing as Jane by Jefferson Starship.

You shouldn't hit this issue ever again. Everything should be automatic and they would have downloaded automatically if these issues weren't happening.

It's not even three whole days since a game on a new platform, by a small studio, with limited funding, and with a MASSIVE undertaking is out. There always will be kinks.

Is this a fucking joke?

/SIGH

Does Best Buy still have the 15-day no-questions-asked refund window?

Hawk269

They do but for video games and movies (media) it usually is once it is opened they only exchange for the same thing. I would suggest he at least go in and ask about it, it does not hurt to ask.

_woLf

Woah, calm down there mate. The small updates are to fix the preorder song issues with them all showing as Jane by Jefferson Starship.

You shouldn't hit this issue ever again. Everything should be automatic and they would have downloaded automatically if these issues weren't happening.

It's not even three whole days since a game on a new platform, by a small studio, with limited funding, and with a MASSIVE undertaking is out. There always will be kinks.

Kinks are fine when games don't cost me the price of a console plus hours fighting with stupid missing DLC.

Dunno. Maybe. Strongly considering trying and re-buying this later down the road when it's not a buggy POS. I've invested so much money into Rock Band since the first one and have put more hours into it than probably any other console game, so it's extremely frustrating experiencing these kinds of problems.

Oh hey look, my guitar just randomly disconnected from the xbox! Again. Awesome.

Kinks are fine when games don't cost me the price of a console plus hours fighting with stupid missing DLC.

Dunno. Maybe. Strongly considering trying and re-buying this later down the road when it's not a buggy POS. I've invested so much money into Rock Band since the first one and have put more hours into it than probably any other console game, so it's extremely frustrating experiencing these kinds of problems.

Oh hey look, my guitar just randomly disconnected from the xbox! Again. Awesome.

The booklet in the box says if you have any issues with the instruments, contact Mad Catz, not the retailer you bought them from. Try that route for the instruments.

As for the software being off in some places, I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt, knowing how small they are now. It will get fixed eventually, but the core game is still working well. It will improve in time.

Top Bottom