• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Luckily, they are.
They are optional, but if you choose not to do them, your streak is broken. That's not a good option. Like Baron said, it would be nice to turn it off by default.

this is why I want an adapter and a guitar hero guitar....it automatically switches for you....its basically a cheat mode.
This makes it 1000% more likely I will go that route. Need to make sure all of my old GH guitars work (they should), then I'll get the adapter and game option instead of the band in a box.

ViciousDS

Banned
They are, but there should totally be an option to turn them off by default.

I haven't actually messed around with freestyle solos yet, though, I plan to do so after I beat the career.

they make gold star'ing some really hard songs with those nasty solos......really, really easy lol.

They are optional, but if you choose not to do them, your streak is broken. That's not a good option.

Exactly its like fucking static and dynamic drum rolls......both are not optional...meaning if you miss a note your streak is broken. Dynamic fills should give a bonus when you nail all the notes but don't penalize a player for missing them during a section that normally has a fill.

So how is drumming compared to rb3? Is it better for any reason? Pretty much the same? Is the new drum set better? Basically, is there any reason to get this for a drummer other than just new songs?

They are optional, but if you choose not to do them, your streak is broken. That's not a good option. Like Baron said, it would be nice to turn it off by default.
He means that they are optional in the sense that there's an option to disable them. It's under the Options submenu.

He means that they are optional in the sense that there's an option to disable them.

You can, using the d-pad during a song.Instantly turned mine off.

I will give that a try tonight. If I can disable them fully, then that's actually pretty nice and I'll redact that complaint. I was just playing along to what the game was telling me to do.

That's really the least of my complaints, though. I understand this is Harmonix as an indie developer and I will give them time to make the game right. I just can't get on board with things the way they are now.

They'll figure out export packs, they'll figure out how to easily bring in all the songs you've already bought, they'll add in customization options. They'll do all of this and RB4 will be amazing for years to come. But for $250? I'll wait for those things to happen.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
So how is drumming compared to rb3? Is it better for any reason? Pretty much the same? Is the new drum set better? Basically, is there any reason to get this for a drummer other than just new songs?

We don't really know yet. I think we are a firmware update or two away from having a proper drum experience.

paischu

That's really the least of my complaints, though. I understand this is Harmonix as an indie developer and I will give them time to make the game right. I just can't get on board with things the way they are now.

They'll figure out export packs, they'll figure out how to easily bring in all the songs you've already bought, they'll add in customization options. They'll do all of this and RB4 will be amazing for years to come. But for $250? I'll wait for those things to happen.

I totally understand this. I view this mostly as an Early Access product, while hoping they will keep their promises of adding features.

You have to respect the size of HMX at the moment, wasn't it like one year ago where they had to let got 100+ of their staff?

Oh man... I've been thinking my guitar issues were due to calibration, but it feels like my strum bar is becoming more and more temperamental. It just stops recognizing inputs in the middle of songs, or registers several in a row.

Alternate "picking" seemed really bad, and I tried only strumming up, which caused me to fail almost instantly-- it basically doesn't work.

In the menus, the strums register fine up or down, but every couple strums it'll freeze for a second and then shoot four or five options down.

Anyone encountered this, and found a fix? Or do I need to contact Mad Catz?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet, one more song down with Lisztomania. If we keep going in that pace on the EU store I'll have all my legacy DLC by 2017.

espher

who ever did the vocal stuff on rob zombie's dragula failed so damn hard.

there is a part near the start that has vocals that wasn't charted, that one wasn't a big deal...

but there are two times in the song where they put you on an extended break when "do it baby, do it baby" is sung clearly, and the second time it came up my freaken singer was evening singing those words even though it wasn't on my screen to sing @___________@

Solo vocals or harmony vocals?

They certainly should be in the harmony version (on H3), but perhaps there was an issue w/ the .mid I provided, so I'll have to check that out. If there's no third harmony part at all then I may have botched the export, and that would be on me. It's also possible I may have culled H3 in my review and simply forgot to move those sections back onto H1, which again, my fault (I can't check my notes until I get home tonight).

Similarly, folks, if you see any other issues with harmony parts for legacy DLC, please let me know via PM or (preferably) via e-mail at rockbandharmoniesproject@gmail.com.

Arttemis

God, I hope they bring back Pro Keys, because shredding on a keytar during a freestyle solo would be so badass. That's the entire purpose of a keytar, to shred pentatonic and minor scales!

opoth

Banned
I didn't expect to, but I love freestyle guitar solos. I tend to do my own thing when I jam IRL, so it's nice.

I think you will start to see more people come around on them eventually, I'm starting to feel the same way now that I'm getting the hang of them.

I think you will start to see more people come around on them eventually, I'm starting to feel the same way now that I'm getting the hang of them.

My wife struggled with it at first, but I'm sure she'll get it. I expect it to not be popular at my RB parties due to not making sense without the tutorial, but it's awesome when you learn it.

My wife struggled with it at first, but I'm sure she'll get it. I expect it to not be popular at my RB parties due to not making sense without the tutorial, but it's awesome when you learn it.

The first time I showed off for friends I jammed on I Heard it Through the Grapevine by CCR and my friends were, like, DUUUUDE!!!

U2NUMB

So I have the legacy adapter .. using my favorite guitar the GH3 version but I am worried it might be on its last leg. I like having the click in my guitar so I was considering getting the new GH game just to grab that guitar... IF it will work with Rock Band 4... has anyone confirmed that it will?

So I have the legacy adapter .. using my favorite guitar the GH3 version but I am worried it might be on its last leg. I like having the click in my guitar so I was considering getting the new GH game just to grab that guitar... IF it will work with Rock Band 4... has anyone confirmed that it will?

It is not confirmed. It probably won't, but Harmonix is gonna see what they can do.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Does activating overdrive using the WoR guitar (that I absolutely adore by the way) only work with the button? I'm tilting like a madman here and nothing happens.
Which is cool I guess since pressing the button prevents me from dropping any streaks, but sometimes you just gotta pose, you know?

DCS

Banned
My PS4 guitar controller has a hardware fault - the strum bars sticks down, meaning I can't play more than one note in a short period of time. Works fine when you strum upwards. Tried doing the firmware update, changing the batteries, reconnecting and recalibration. GAME have no idea when they are going to get another band in a box set so I'm having to contact Mad Catz for a replacement. This really sucks when you've spent £220 on a product and can't get it swapped :(

Woffls

Reposting from a few pages back for the EU crue (crEU!!??) Can anyone else verify this?

If you have a 25 digit Xbox code in your RB2 manual, the first 16 digits might be the RB3 import code.

I have my copy of Rock Band 2 here with the manual and a 25 digit EU code. It was new when I purchased it, and the code was never redeemed. I tried entering it into the 'Get More Songs' -> 'Redeem Code' section of Rock Band 3, and there wasn't enough space in the box so I gave up.

Later, on a whim, I tried the code again until the box was full and just hit enter out of annoyance... and for some reason the code was accepted. I'm downloading the 1.93GB export file now, and have been billed £6.75 on Xbox Live. The download worked and my RB2 songs are now in my RB3 library.

Thought Metropolis was a great pick anyway but playing it for the first time really confirmed it. Great fun.

Does activating overdrive using the WoR guitar (that I absolutely adore by the way) only work with the button? I'm tilting like a madman here and nothing happens.
Which is cool I guess since pressing the button prevents me from dropping any streaks, but sometimes you just gotta pose, you know?

No tilting on any of the Guitar Hero instruments I believe. I only tested WoR and GH3 but neither worked so I'm guessing it's all of them. Don't know how you can push the button mid streak though. I played Jesus Built My Hotrod and it's bloody impossible.

Is there any way to disable the share button on the rock band guitar? I hit it like 3 times per song and it kicks me out to the share menu, super annoying. Worst placement of all time for that button.

No tilting on any of the Guitar Hero instruments I believe. I only tested WoR and GH3 but neither worked so I'm guessing it's all of them. Don't know how you can push the button mid streak though. I played Jesus Built My Hotrod and it's bloody impossible.

Tilting works on my GH3 guitar on Xbox one.

I totally understand this. I view this mostly as an Early Access product, while hoping they will keep their promises of adding features.

You have to respect the size of HMX at the moment, wasn't it like one year ago where they had to let got 100+ of their staff?
I have nothing but respect for Harmonix and what they are trying to do with RB4. I want to continue to support them and I will, just not at the Band in a Box level of support.

If they sold this as an "Early Access" product, where I could buy in early,provide feedback, then maybe get something out of it in a year or two for sticking with them (a free song every now and then), I'd have a 100% different outlook on the game. I'd probably still return the Band in a Box and get the game + adapter (which is what I'm likely going to do now), but my thoughts on it would be completely different.

Hell, if this was Rock Band 1, I'd be singing its praises instead of being down on it. I'd keep the BiaB to help make sure it was successful. But this is RB4. I expect more, change from major publisher assistance to indie or not.

The last time I was this torn on a game was All Pro Football 2K8. I loved Visual Concepts, I love the announce team, I really wanted to love that game. But there were so many little things that kept me from loving it that it ended up being a major disappointment.

When all of this gets resolved, I will absolutely be in here talking about how much I love it because I love this damn series. But for day one and $250, when I have a newborn to budget for and a wife who is doing her best to scrap and save at home...I just can't justify this. (Wow, reading that again, I'm justifying the return more to myself than anyone lol)

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Well this is the first time I play with a controller with an overdrive button that you can palm, and so far it works. I haven't tried any songs with exhausting strumming like Hotrod yet though :D

Must extra-suck with the GH3 controller and the tiny select button though.

so, I cant find my PS3 RB2 guitar dongle....and somehow I have 3 RB1 dongles despite only ever having 1 RB1 guitar...

Cheapest I have seen for a replacement is $30...fuck

so, I cant find my PS3 RB2 guitar dongle....and somehow I have 3 RB1 dongles despite only ever having 1 RB1 guitar...

Cheapest I have seen for a replacement is $30...fuck

Can you do this? I was under the impression that each dongle was unique to the guitar it came with and won't work with any other.

I think I want the whole band kit.

Truthfully I'd only ever use the guitar and drums though (no interest in singing).

Hmm, may just get the guitar and game.

mackattk

Can you do this? I was under the impression that each dongle was unique to the guitar it came with and won't work with any other.

There is a sync button on both the dongle and the guitar so I would assume that a guitar would work with any compatible dongle.

ViciousDS

Banned
wow thx 4 clearing that up

usually meaning unnecessary 3 note chords for power chords which only should be 2 notes.....guitar hero 3 had a LOT of over-charting.

As much as I love playing the babymetal song dear heavens it has a lot of 3 note chords for no reason at all.

wow thx 4 clearing that up

You welcome.

usually meaning unnecessary 3 note chords for power chords which only should be 2 notes.....guitar hero 3 had a LOT of over-charting.

As much as I love playing the babymetal song dear heavens it has a lot of 3 note chords for no reason at all.

Honestly it was with every GH game made by Neversoft.

The difference was that Harmonix actually has musicians in their studio. Neversoft just had a bunch of people lucky enough to carry the GH torch. I always loved seeing those comparsion charts between the 2 series.

Well this is the first time I play with a controller with an overdrive button that you can palm, and so far it works. I haven't tried any songs with exhausting strumming like Hotrod yet though :D

Must extra-suck with the GH3 controller and the tiny select button though.

Weirdly I think it's actually easier to palm the GH3 select button because it doesn't have much depth and is quite close to the strum bar. The WoR one sticks out a mile.

Has anyone else ran into some tracks sounding different, like vocally. I was playing Falling Away From Me last night, now not sure if it was fatigue/feeling tired, but it just sounded off. Like Jonathan Davis's voice was a bit more high pitched than normal, especially during the chorus and less growl-y, if that makes sense.

(I was drumming, e-kit, PS4 if that matters)

FyreWulff

Sounds like Harmonix needs to pop up a big "Hey, you can turn off guitar freestyles with the dpad" notification the first few times you play songs with guitar solos

latest

SleazyC

Assuming if you get the X1 band in the box you do not get a legacy adapter? I want to use an old guitar hero controller but also need all other instruments.

Top Bottom