• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Drums are broken, yay. Two of the fasteners on the blue pad that hold it to the bottom are just snapped. I hope I don't have to box the entire thing up to replace just the drums at Best Buy.

Pandacon

This is weird, i remember my video lag being around 35ms when i was playing Rockband 3, now it shows up at 229ms in Rockband 4, thats horrible.

RPS37

I have to play more but I think my calibration is fine now.
I manually calibrated with the drums and the numbers are a little bit different than the ones I got when I auto calibrated with the guitar.
I think I was just being crazy.

Psymatiq

Neo Member
Aright, I give up. I'm boned until the next NXOE update or until the legacy adapter comes in. The Xbox won't recognize my RB4 guitar on the sync button, so it doesn't matter how people say it works in the game.

opt out i did

RB4 doesnt work with NXE in its current state. HMX have said that they have talked with MS who are working on it tho.

_woLf

The booklet in the box says if you have any issues with the instruments, contact Mad Catz, not the retailer you bought them from. Try that route for the instruments.

As for the software being off in some places, I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt, knowing how small they are now. It will get fixed eventually, but the core game is still working well. It will improve in time.

I will contact them about the guitar. For the drums I'll wait for the next firmware update this weekend and hope it miraculously fixes my problems.

Is there any way to auto update all of my dlc songs? That way I don't get the intrusive pop-up in game?

Megatron

Finally got to play this tonight.
First of all, it was awesome. It's the most fun I've had playing a music game in YEARS. I couldn't tear myself away to go to bed to get ready for work.
The music download system is a mess as we all know. I went through and bought some songs and have a sinking feeling I re-bought stuff I already owned. I may have to follow up on that later. I bought quite a few songs. A lot of stuff on there I was surprised was on there, like the Aerosmith songs. In the last few months I have been buying exclusively from the $.99 store, so I guess I missed quite a few songs.

The most played section in the store... is that accurate for everyone? The most played song I see is All the Small things by Blink 182? Where is this list coming from?

zulux21

Finally got to play this tonight.
First of all, it was awesome. It's the most fun I've had playing a music game in YEARS. I couldn't tear myself away to go to bed to get ready for work.
The music download system is a mess as we all know. I went through and bought some songs and have a sinking feeling I re-bought stuff I already owned. I may have to follow up on that later. I bought quite a few songs. A lot of stuff on there I was surprised was on there, like the Aerosmith songs. In the last few months I have been buying exclusively from the $.99 store, so I guess I missed quite a few songs.

The most played section in the store... is that accurate for everyone? The most played song I see is All the Small things by Blink 182? Where is this list coming from?

there might be some basic system in place to track how many times a song has been played by people. (heck there might be leader boards, not sure, not something I give a crap about at all lol)

I could see blink 182 all the small things being up there. It's a solid party/warm up song and one of the earlier DLC so more people likely own it.

Megatron

there might be some basic system in place to track how many times a song has been played by people. (heck there might be leader boards, not sure, not something I give a crap about at all lol)

I could see blink 182 all the small things being up there. It's a solid party/warm up song and one of the earlier DLC so more people likely own it.

The next two Songs are by oasis. Then fat lip by sum 41. It just surprises me. I'm not sure what I expected to be number one. Maybe pour some sugar on me? Maybe the song from Portal since it's free? (That is on the list, outside the top ten)I don't know. The list seems to be pretty heavy mid-late nineties. Not exactly the best era for music.

If it's a most played of all time then it makes sense, All the Small Things have a popular song that's been out since the very early days of the first Rock Band. It'd be that or Welcome Home if exports were included.

On the subject of exports, what are the chances that things will be changed now that they're on a new generation of consoles? I'm talking about Alive and Shackler's Revenge having the same album art as the rest of the DLC album, and other little issues.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I've read the thread and the export FAQ but I still have a RB2 question. In my manual I only see the 16-digit code on the back cover for the bonus tracks. I don't see any other code to put into RB3 that you guys seem to be having luck with.

What am I missing?

evanmisha

I've read the thread and the export FAQ but I still have a RB2 question. In my manual I only see the 16-digit code on the back cover for the bonus tracks. I don't see any other code to put into RB3 that you guys seem to be having luck with.

What am I missing?

Some people are having success with inputting that longer code, and leaving out the last few digits. Sounds ridiculous, but who am I to argue?

Before the offer expired, you would use that 16-digit code at a Harmonix website, and it would spit out, in addition to the bonus tracks, a PSN/XBL download code that could be used in RB3 to purchase the RB2 export. That website no longer works, so people (such as myself) have been hassling EA to generate the codes that would have been generated by the website that no longer exists. They're doing it, but YMMV. Additionally, now people may have stumbled upon a new code workaround as seen above.

sonto340

The next two Songs are by oasis. Then fat lip by sum 41. It just surprises me. I'm not sure what I expected to be number one. Maybe pour some sugar on me? Maybe the song from Portal since it's free? (That is on the list, outside the top ten)I don't know. The list seems to be pretty heavy mid-late nineties. Not exactly the best era for music.
Dude, super disagree. Probably my favorite era of music.
I've got a solid mix of late 90s/early 00's downloads for my rock band party coming up, and a couple shitty country songs and call me maybe for a couple of solid WTF moments once the drinks get going.

But it's the era that most of the people playing this game wold consider their childhood (mid 90s to mid 00s). Childhood nostalgia is a powerful thing.

GamerJM

Banned
Dude, super disagree. Probably my favorite era of music.
I've got a solid mix of late 90s/early 00's downloads for my rock band party coming up, and a couple shitty country songs and call me maybe for a couple of solid WTF moments once the drinks get going.

Late 90s/early 00s was a fantastic era for music, but Blink-182 and Sum 41 are not the reason why.

GamerJM

Banned
Because you know people don't have other tastes in music, I mean genres and styles what are those? amirite?

Sorry if that came off as elitist, there was an implied "IMO," there. I figure if I'm talking about things like games or music the fact that it's an opinion is implied because quality is entirely subjective.

whitelighter89

Neo Member
The Irish PS Store still has a LOT of DLC at 79c in case anyone needs to pick some. The whole catalogue has not been uploaded yet. Sometimes it sucks being from a tiny island but there's always a silver lining :(

Eanan

The Irish PS Store still has a LOT of DLC at 79c in case anyone needs to pick some. The whole catalogue has not been uploaded yet. Sometimes it sucks being from a tiny island but there's always a silver lining :(

Really?! Is that PSN or xbox store?

EDIT: Sorry just saw you said PS store :(

Alot of songs are still .95c on the xbox store...why the price difference? ...

ElNarez

Banned
things are still fucked on the "getting songs up on the european PSN" front but dang, I forgot Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker" had a crowd sing-along and damn, it got me good. It's still half-priced, and it's not part of a pack, so, if you need something while you wait, that's a great fucking song.

whitelighter89

Neo Member
things are still fucked on the "getting songs up on the european PSN" front but dang, I forgot Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker" had a crowd sing-along and damn, it got me good. It's still half-priced, and it's not part of a pack, so, if you need something while you wait, that's a great fucking song.

Hear Hear!

All her songs that are on the EU Store (Irish for definite, can't check the others) are on sale too. Can't wait to get home now! :D

Really?! Is that PSN or xbox store?

EDIT: Sorry just saw you said PS store :(

Alot of songs are still .95c on the xbox store...why the price difference? ...

It's mainly due to the size of the store and its residents. When I worked in CS for Xbox, it was made very clear the sheer difference of Xbox players in Ireland versus the UK alone....we're not that important lol

Yaari

Wow, my game + guitar just got delivered. They were shipping from Amsterdam so it was easy to deliver. I bought from Game UK. Not sure why they ship from Amsterdam. Either way, a huge surprise, and very happy.

It said it could take 3-6 days. This was day 2.

ViciousDS

Banned
please be Babymetal for Tuesday......or Van Halen

if its U2....I guess I can spend money on some of the tracks that weren't on sale :). Can't fricken stand U2

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Yep I love it a lot. It's great!

Wanna know another good song with an amazing crowd singalong? Rebel Yell by Billy Idol. Try it.

Also like Pick up the Pieces too.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Just asked for my preorder code in the Amazon.de chat, got it, downloading the songs now.
Just in case anyone who ordered there didn't get the code yet either.

PUSH PUSH LADY LIGHTNING

hodgy100

Just asked for my preorder code in the Amazon.de chat, got it, downloading the songs now.
Just in case anyone who ordered there didn't get the code yet either.

PUSH PUSH LADY LIGHTNING

I'm trying this now for the UK
the code they gave me is too long is there a page im supposed to enter it in?

I feel like Rock Band should introduce a daily challenge similar to games like Spelunky. Say it just chooses a specific song from the catalogue and everyone tries to set a score for it. Would be a good way to sell DLC and add a nice bit of community with very little work.

hodgy100

I feel like Rock Band should introduce a daily challenge similar to games like Spelunky. Say it just chooses a specific song from the catalogue and everyone tries to set a score for it. Would be a good way to sell DLC and add a nice bit of community with very little work.

they should do it with disk songs and award dlc to the winner :)

chunk3rvd

Seems like the EU DLC updates are still rolling on. A few delisted tracks are available to purchase right now - Fake Friends, Silversun Pickups. Probably more but don't have time to check them all. Electric Six tracks are there but don't know if they can be purchased because I already own them

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Like this idea a lot actually!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like the EU DLC updates are still rolling on. A few delisted tracks are available to purchase right now - Fake Friends, Silversun Pickups. Probably more but don't have time to check them all. Electric Six tracks are there but don't know if they can be purchased because I already own them
Indeed, I just bought and downloaded Gay Bar :D

Does anyone here use ScoreHero much? I tend to try and put most of my good scores up on there and it'll be even easier now with the screenshot features on both consoles.

hodgy100

Only 65 songs on that disc though. You'd have to recycle stuff after two months.

well you could have different challenges. like highest band score. highest [instrument] score. You could also make it non song specific e.g most gold stars awarded in a week. Could also make it a weekly challenge instead of daily?

So let me preface this two ways: I have the NXE on my Xbox One(which is an unfinished product) and I count the Rock Band experience as one of my top two or three in my gaming life. The combination of RB1, RB2, and RB3 is up there with Civilization and Counter Strike as games I would happily play over and over again for the rest of time.

Having said that...

I'm probably going to return my Band in a Box to Costco this weekend. The game just feels half baked at the moment and I can't justify spending $250 on a half baked game.

Here's my experience after playing it for a couple hours last night (again, part of this may be due to the NXE):

1. My guitar only works inside Rock Band 4. Oh, I can press the Xbox button and have it go to the main screen. But the D Pad isn't recognized. None of the fret buttons do anything to register. So that sucks. (Probably an NXE issue)

2. The only way I can figure out how to sign in as my Xbox Live user name on anything other than microphone is to use Kinect. Remember how I said the guitar doesn't work outside of the game itself? Well, when I try to switch my profile, guess what doesn't work? Any of the guitar buttons again! So the only way for me to get the guitar up and running as my profile is to enter the game, go to switch profile, then say "Xbox, Select, Choose This Person". That's fucking annoying. (Probably an NXE issue?)

3. Someone mentioned the screen dimming before. Happened to me multiple times. That sucks but it actually wasn't too dim for me to play. (Probably an NXE issue)

(Okay, so enough "probably an NXE issue", how about the game itself?)

4. Getting old songs that you own onto the game is a pain in the ass. There needs to be a solution to this and fast. I spent a half hour with my phone showing my purchase history and searching for songs before I gave up. I think I got 19 of them. I'm sure I have much more and that's not including Song Packs and Albums and whatnot. (Current problem, likely solution in the future.)

5. Playing guitar on the Rock Band guitar "normally" was actually not as bad as I remember it. Strumming was easy (I miss the click!) and I didn't feel like I was struggling to find the right colors the way I used to struggle. However...

6. Freestyle Solos should 100% be an optional thing. Or, if it is something you have to do, don't allow it to break a streak. It's fucking frustrating as hell to try to do the goddamn freestyle solos, going back and forth between low and high notes, then have to throw your hand quickly back up the frets to the low notes when the solo is over.

And this is really where I miss the Guitar Hero controller: it is SO SO SO SO SO much easier to get "re-centered" on the GH frets than it is on any of the Rock Band guitars. Why? Because the color buttons are elevated. Now, I understand that might not be "realistic", but I'm playing a fucking plastic guitar game. I don't want true realism. If I did, I'd start playing Rocksmith.

It's one thing to not have your frets be the way I like it. That's all well and good when it's just a normal Rock Band charting. But when you add in a game mechanic that emphasizes how much I miss the frets not being elevated, it's really fucking frustrating.

7. After playing through for as long as I did, I'm actually super happy with the on disc setlist. Every song I played was fun. And holy shit, that Protomen song is a FUCKING BLAST to play. What a fun, upbeat, well charted song.

8. When I buy the game again, I am going to love the Career mode. It reminds me so much of old school RB Career mode. Building fans and gaining cash to make the character creator worth a goddamn is going to be great. I got to my first choice of fans or money, and I had to pause and come back to the decision later because I really want that fucking money so I can make my character look like a fucking character, but I want those fans! I've always wanted the fans!!!

9. Speaking of character creator, after having played around with character creators more than I ever have with Sunset Overdrive and Saints Row 4, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed so far with the RB character creator. I feel like it will get better once I have all the moneys, but holy shit does it suck when your character is just in a tee shirt and you're surrounded by custom characters as stand ins that have personality. You get four hair cut choices which are the same for men or women and all of them suck at the start (no androgynous option, Harmonix? Check your privilege.) You can't change your clothes because you have no money. I'm actually okay with the face templates, as I do enjoy the Rock Band character aesthetic (a shit ton more than what happened to the Guitar Hero one, holy crap). It's just really hard to go from Saints Row 4 which had so, so, SO many options to customize everything to basically nothing.

10. Speaking of the stand ins, they really need to bring back the "create more characters and have them be stand ins" option. I can't stand most of my pre-loaded stand ins. I'm really tempted to use the one I like best as all of my stand ins (if that will work) and just say they are triplets. Seems like a major step backwards after RB3.

I think that's all of the thoughts I had at the moment. I know that this game is going to be great eventually and I'll be totally on board with supporting it at that time. But I just don't think I can justify it at the moment.

ViciousDS

Banned
6. Freestyle Solos should 100% be an optional thing. Or, if it is something you have to do, don't allow it to break a streak. It's fucking frustrating as hell to try to do the goddamn freestyle solos, going back and forth between low and high notes, then have to throw your hand quickly back up the frets to the low notes when the solo is over.

this is why I want an adapter and a guitar hero guitar....it automatically switches for you....its basically a cheat mode.

They are, but there should totally be an option to turn them off by default.

I haven't actually messed around with freestyle solos yet, though, I plan to do so after I beat the career.

Top Bottom