• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

FaintDeftone

I sat down and played like 3 hours straight of this game on Xbox One. I spent a lot of time prior to playing just trying to download all of my songs. I still have songs I KNOW I purchased that aren't showing as purchased.

The calibration in this game always seems off. I never had to dick with the calibration in the older games but this one I had to calibrate probably 5 times before I got it to a semi-playable state. It still doesn't feel right to me. I swear the drums are dropping notes too. This is with the legacy adapter using the Warriors of Rock guitar and the RB2 drum kit with cymbals playing on expert.

The profile being tied to all instruments is a pain in the ass. They didn't make it easy to drop in and out unless you are about to start a song.

The game has lost a lot of the charming presentation that the previous games had, which is a bummer but I know they're working on a smaller budget now.

Rock Band 4 is still a blast to play but the gameplay still feels off in terms of timing and the soundtrack is probably the worst of the bunch. Still enjoying it though.

obama_kicks_door.gif

I need the roooouuuuundabout.

And Heart of Glass. That was one of my most played.

GC71388

Anyone have an extra rock band 2 export code for 360 they wont be using? I bought a copy today and the key was already used unfortunately.. Please anyone that can help this has been such a hassle

Cool. My Rock Band 4 Xbox One shipment that I pre-ordered is delayed AGAIN. Fucking cunts at USPS dicked around and now it won't be here until tomorrow. Why the fuck did Amazon ship this with fucking USPS?

LegendX48

so how exactly does the rock band 1 export process work? We bought the key (and I'm just now reading that we didn't have to spend money on it at all) and nothing's there.

So have they addressed the busted DLC songs on PS4? I have more than a couple that either say "purchased" and won't let me download or simply say "No content was found."

GamerJM

Banned
So, there were some Queen songs that had two versions, and the original versions were removed, right? Just wondering, because I'm trying to get We Are The Champions and it won't let me redownload without purchasing it. I'm pretty sure I just bought the original version but not the second one.

So, there were some Queen songs that had two versions, and the original versions were removed, right? Just wondering, because I'm trying to get We Are The Champions and it won't let me redownload without purchasing it. I'm pretty sure I just bought the original version but not the second one.

We Are the Champions was originally from Lego Rock Band, then released as DLC. The only way to install for free is if you bought the DLC version until the Lego export comes out.

SHarris78

I've just bought and downloaded the Rock Band 1 export key of EU PSN. Despite not owning RB1 this means i'm good to go when the exporting goes live?

Well, I cracked and picked up a PS4 guitar bundle today. I figure that I would rather invest in the PlayStation ecosystem going forward and can afford to lose some songs and exports for that convenience.

Megatron

I got that song from Lego rockband export.

Tip for XB1 players, never run the game from a minimized state, completely quit when you're done.

I found if I suspended the game to, say, watch Hulu, when I unsuspended it my calibration seemed off. Closing and opening the game again fixed it every time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've just bought and downloaded the Rock Band 1 export key of EU PSN. Despite not owning RB1 this means i'm good to go when the exporting goes live?
Can you link to the export in the EU store? One of my friends would appreciate it if you do!

Tip for XB1 players, never run the game from a minimized state, completely quit when you're done.

I found if I suspended the game to, say, watch Hulu, when I unsuspended it my calibration seemed off. Closing and opening the game again fixed it every time.
Maybe this is what was causing me to miss basic notes after 5 starring hard songs a half hour before.

GamerJM

Banned
We Are the Champions was originally from Lego Rock Band, then released as DLC. The only way to install for free is if you bought the DLC version until the Lego export comes out.

Huh, I actually have the LEGO Rock Band export (though that doesn't mean much of anything for now). Though according to my download history I bought it before LEGO Rock Band was even out o_O.

Zyphos

Neo Member
I exported RB1, RB2, RB:GD and Blitz into Rock Band 3 ages ago, and all of the songs (That I can find) from those games in the XB1 Marketplace / ingame store are trying to get me to buy them again. Any idea what's causing this? Googling has brought up a whole lot of nothing except "Buy another export key".

FyreWulff

FYI, Madcatz copies of Rock Band 3 do not have codes on their manuals. It is likely RB3's export won't use a manual code for that reason.

It's likely either going to be that you buy the export from inside RB3, or you can just outright buy it as a megapack.

Enthus

oh my lord. if they did TBRB2 with the other albums that never got released, plus export functionality for the first game.. I would lose it. That'd be so dope.

That, and keyboard functionality.

I can see it happening, since RB4 is supposed to be supported (and presumably won't get a sequel) for years, and Harmonix probably doesn't need their entire staff working on DLC for RB4.

KlotePino

Really happy about the RB3 export although I can't help but be salty about the RB2 import, that was by far their best tracklist and I was too lazy to import it at the time because I preferred the RB2 engine and figured I could just pop in Rock Band 2 if I wanted to play those songs. Oh well, still plenty of songs to play with all the DLC that transferred over for me. Quick shoutout to all the Europeans still waiting because my date for the XONE version just got pushed from 9 to 17.

Raide

Kinda holding back on having a full blown Rockband party till the Exported tracks are there. A really good set of DLC available now but I want a good compliment of tracks that my friends have been playing for ages. Plus I don't want to spent too much money if I don't have to. :D

FyreWulff

I can see it happening, since RB4 is supposed to be supported (and presumably won't get a sequel) for years, and Harmonix probably doesn't need their entire staff working on DLC for RB4.

The issue with Beatles, which I think they've been quasi-open about before, is that it is extremely expensive to do Beatles songs.

A regular Rock Band song is request masters from a studio -> pay the license fee -> get masters at Harmonix -> chart song -> put masters in Harmonix safe -> release song.

Beatles songs go

Request song from label -> pay a big fee -> fly all engineers to label in UK -> work on masters there -> return to Boston with static-filled versions of the masters to chart with -> fly everyone back to UK -> put together actual masters inside label's studio -> fly back to Boston submit to first party -> release song

i may have put an extra flight in there but they still actually could never take the full masters outside the walls of the label's studio.

MarkusRJR

Since this game isn't coming to Wii U I ended up dusting off my old instruments for my Wii. Turns out the DLC store still somewhat works. Some sections kick you out but technically you can still buy and download songs. Genuinely surprised since I remember the DLC Wii servers were supposed to have shut down I think. Took 2 hours to manually download my download history (like 40-50 songs) after the Wii to Wii U transfer. Guess I'm stuck with playing RB3 on Wii and possibly GH Live if it has decent singing support.

If I had the money I'd totally be down to rebuy DLC and buy new instruments for my Xbox One, but it's so pricey ($350 in Canada). On the off chance I end up getting RB4 for Xbox One, I have a question: Would songs I buy end up being playable on Rock Band Blitz? I always wanted to play that game but felt it wasn't worth it without my DLC (which I have on my Wii).

Scapegoat

Okay - spent hours yesterday getting my DLC that was currently available and have just played a decent 3 hour stint with two buddies. I was pretty annoyed at the game exports not being up (pretty much all of Green Day, gone... and I forgot how awesome Lego Rock Band's soundtrack was), but as expected as soon as I started playing I completely forgot about them lol. Here are my quickish impressions (I'm playing on Xbone with full band kit, awaitng the old instrument adaptor for bass - and drum battles comes December...?):

- The game is still buggy, I experienced similar issues to when Harmonix have demoed the game throughout the year. During my session tonight we had a full game freeze, as well as quite a few instances of the guitar becoming fully non-response - solved by quickly turning it off and on. I also had one freestyle solo that remained silent no matter what I played (I also received a bunch of points at the end).

- Freestyle solos are cool, and goofy. It's odd, sometimes they can sound so atrociously awkward and disjointed, and sometimes they are so slick and sweet. I feel like they do a better time on faster songs? I also feel like the lag makes real fine riff-control (what I personally was looking forward too) less than ideal... but if you follow the prompts you more than often make something that sounds cool and you feel sweet doing it.

- Graphics look great, menus are snappy and responsive - though I was disappointed in the loss of animated loading screens, but no big deal. Have yet to see any music video stage but have just been playing the early tour... fingers crossed...

- RPG lite choices are cool. Loss of accompanying band animations sucks.

- Hair and clothes store selection wasn't as bad as I was expecting - though I'm also still hoping for more via DLC (please).

- Base soundtrack is great, don't get all the complaints. Played a bunch of the new songs with old DLC in between and had a blast. Still have heaps of other new one's that I've yet to play.

- Updated drum firmware before hand without issue. Calibrated multiple times with auto-guitar and manual-drums and got similar results - was happy with how it felt. I didn't seem to feel any issues with kick pedal activation, though I felt I was dropping rolls I didn't think I should be.

- Had a blast! Rock Band is back, baby!

On the off chance I end up getting RB4 for Xbox One, I have a question: Would songs I buy end up being playable on Rock Band Blitz? I always wanted to play that game but felt it wasn't worth it without my DLC (which I have on my Wii).
I am unsure if songs you buy from RB4 songs from the Xbone marketplace enable you to download the respective RB3 360 songs, however, at worst, all you'd have to do is purchase the songs on 360, or on the Xbox website ensuring to buy the DLC listed under Rock Band 3/360, and you will have access to the DLC on Rock Band 3, Blitz, and Rock Band 4. This only applies to Rock Band 3 and previous DLC I believe, as new DLC going forward won't be available for RB3, I presume?

Oni Jazar

I can't seem to get rid of a mic sound delay no matter what calibration configuration I use. Any one else have this problem? On ps4.

Also damn getting all my dlc is a huge ass pain. Can't find an easy enough solution.

FyreWulff

I can't seem to get rid of a mic sound delay no matter what calibration configuration I use. Any one else have this problem? On ps4.

Also damn getting all my dlc is a huge ass pain. Can't find an easy enough solution.

It's your TV. Turn off all image processing and activate game mode if it has one.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like there really won't be any new legacy DLC for EU over the weekend. I hope they get the packs up on monday, I wanna play 2112 :(

Ridley327

Nervous that there is no mention of how PS3 exports will work.

The sensible thing would be to patch the game to allow you to swap discs out for verification that will then allow you to pay and download the RB3 setlist, since there was never a digital release of RB3 on PS3.

I'm still having trouble with my 30 free songs on Xbone. The only ones that are working for me are the ones that were available as normal DLC plus I Get By. The rest are showing up as installed, but they're not available in-game. I've tried uninstalling a few, but they wouldn't uninstall.

Ninhead

The sensible thing would be to patch the game to allow you to swap discs out for verification that will then allow you to pay and download the RB3 setlist, since there was never a digital release of RB3 on PS3.

Won't work on PS4. It doesn't recognize PS3 games as game discs.

The rest of the staff is probably going to be working on other smaller games (like the one they are making for Apple TV) and/or VR hoping to find their next breakout hit.

bigkurz

Banned
I never owned rock band 3. But that set list looks rad.

Should I try to track down a used version? Or buy the digital version? Will the digital version allow export to rb4?

EDIT: I thought I read there was a digital version. Is hat wrong?

I never owned rock band 3. But that set list looks rad.

Should I try to track down a used version? Or buy the digital version? Will the digital version allow export to rb4?

EDIT: I thought I read there was a digital version. Is hat wrong?

From the sounds of it, it'll require the disc itself or the digital version, so you should be good to go with either option.

Really happy about the RB3 export although I can't help but be salty about the RB2 import, that was by far their best tracklist and I was too lazy to import it at the time because I preferred the RB2 engine and figured I could just pop in Rock Band 2 if I wanted to play those songs. Oh well, still plenty of songs to play with all the DLC that transferred over for me. Quick shoutout to all the Europeans still waiting because my date for the XONE version just got pushed from 9 to 17.

If it makes you feel better we still don't have access to the rb1 or 2 imports in rb4 anyways

ChopperNewt

Neo Member
:((

I sent them a support ticket, so I hope they sort this out soon.

I am also interested in this - I bought RB Blitz on PS3 this morning and also can't download the soundtrack. So as far as I can tell I can't even play the game itself let alone export the songs. Kind of bullshit.

ETA: I submitted a ticket to Harmonix also.

Top Bottom