• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

So yesterday I had a Rock Band 4 party and it was AWESOME
TMUBTI4.jpg

About a dozen of my friends showed up and it was an amazing time. A few things I noticed:

- Shows Mode was not used and had no interest of ever being used
- When introduced to Freestyle Guitars, the feature was immediately rejected
- Individual pausing is an INCREDIBLE mechanic and was heavily used
- Harmonies were heavily used and enjoyed
- Artists showing up in the shortcuts instead of the letter in Artist sorting was a fantastic idea for parties. I don't like it personally for individual play, but I'll bear it
- Few minor kick pedal complaints
- My guitar's whammy bar now sinks instead of standing still. It took years for that to happen to my World Tour guitar
- The lack of features was noticed and noticed HARD. Had a few people say they'd rather be playing Rock Band 3
- Light Up The Night is an instant party staple. What's Up is not.
- The note highway doesn't seem to flash red when you're failing. I like this. Makes it less stressful for people playing.
- Auto Kick Pedals would have been amazing. I still miss it from Lego Rock Band

Overall it was an awesome time (lasted from 7 PM to 2 in the morning) and people are already asking about the next one. I can't wait!!

Shows Mode was not used and had no interest of ever being used
Really? I'm having my first decent sized one tomorrow and I expect Tour to played heavily but after a month or so I expect it to just be Shows depending on how the voting mechanic is received (I'm expecting very well). How much DLC do you have?

Can't even play. When I plug in my mic, the drums and guitar lose their connection and I can't reconnect until I unplug the mic. XB1 using RB4 guitar and RB1 mic.

Can't even play. When I plug in my mic, the drums and guitar lose their connection and I can't reconnect until I unplug the mic. XB1 using RB4 guitar and RB1 mic.
Don't have an RB1 mic but I did not have this issue with my RB4 mic which the system probably can't tell the difference. Have you tried power cycling the system?

cakely

I'm surprised GAF isn't mentioning of the vocal lag when using the mic. It's not a setup issue as I have no problem with other Rock Band games.

There's a few threads on this in other places:

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/259855/anyone-else-noticing-the-vocal-lag

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/3nrzph/vocal_track_volume_mic_lag/

Are the player's vocals coming in sync with the vocal track for you guys?

They're way out of sync for me. I just turn player vocals volume off now.

I have a setup with a mic, mic stand and an amp, and I just point my rock band mic at the amp. This seems to be the best of worlds.

Don't have an RB1 mic but I did not have this issue with my RB4 mic which the system probably can't tell the difference. Have you tried power cycling the system?
Several times. With no mic plugged in, and with the mic plugged into other USB ports, tried connecting everything in the dashboard and it still happens consistenty. No matter what I do, the wireless guitar and controller disconnect after I plug in the USB mic.

Crazy thing is that it worked on launch day and nothing has changed since then.

Several times. With no mic plugged in, and with the mic plugged into other USB ports, tried connecting everything in the dashboard and it still happens consistenty. No matter what I do, the wireless guitar and controller disconnect after I plug in the USB mic.

Crazy thing is that it worked on launch day and nothing has changed since then.
In the preview program?

How long have the pre-order DLC songs been up on the store for individual purchase? Did I totally miss that on Tuesday? XD

(buying September right now..)

Yaari

How long have the pre-order DLC songs been up on the store for individual purchase? Did I totally miss that on Tuesday? XD

(buying September right now..)

I forgot I even owned September. I was so excited for it but I did not play it once yet. Been to busy with all the other songs. Well, that will change quickly.

I had a really good Rock Band party with about a dozen or so of my friends as well last night. They're all just out of frame, enjoying the game with me
I can't tell if this is teasing me or a self depreciating joke. I didn't want to stop the party just so I can take a selfie if it's the former!

How is What's Up not a party staple? I see some He-Man prejudice goin on! ;)
They love that video, so I found it just as shocking. Maybe the next party!

Really? I'm having my first decent sized one tomorrow and I expect Tour to played heavily but after a month or so I expect it to just be Shows depending on how the voting mechanic is received (I'm expecting very well). How much DLC do you have?
At the moment my song count is about 408. Missing the imports, a good amount of DLC, and RBN, which pushes me to about 800 songs.

And I just can't imagine voting not being lame. Nobody wants to vote. They want to scroll through the song list and shout "OH MY GOD THEY HAVE THAT SONG LET'S PLAY IT!" Getting people's hopes up on a pick just to see nobody voting for it sounds inherently miserable to me. And then there's the problem of the singer not knowing every song.

My solution is simple. Singer always picks. You want to play a specific song? Sing! This gets people to participate on the most "putting yourself out there" instrument and gets the variety nice and healthy. After every song I yell "WHO IS SINGING" and people perk up. It's nice.

It just makes Shows mode feel like wasted effort to me. It won't ever get used for parties and I hate it for solo play. I want complete control over what I'm playing always, which makes Career mode a drag for me, especially with its emphasis on playing more than 1 song in one go which is exhausting and unfun.

Just played through "All The Rage Back Home" by Interpol. Fucking hell how that's rated Tier 1 on Guitar I'll never know. I had major hand cramp near the end, but hey sightread 100% FC!

More than a minute and a halfs worth of tremelo strumming near the end. Crazy. Here's a vid somebody uploaded of it. My poor wrist, now I know what chronic masturbation feels like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPk_1AjjGA

So, I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem.

I'm on PS4 using my Beatles drum kit with two pedals plugged in. (One in the orange port and the other in the black port) and for some reason it won't register the pedal plugged into the black port. BUT, when I use the splitter and plug them both into the orange port they both work until the song starts. You can use the double kick before the song starts and get down, but as soon as the song starts both pedals stop working. I'm assuming it's because it doesn't like the splitter, but that seems odd to me. As soon as I unplug the splitter and plug in the one pedal to the orange port it works again.

However, all of this works fine in Rock Band 3. Does 4 not let you use the black port for an extra pedal? I'm confused.

Two questions about vocals:

1) Has Harmonix fixed the random bug on vocals that causes all talkies to fail unless you leave the song and pick it again?

2) Is the 99% thing still in this game?

My solution is simple. Singer always picks.

This is rule #1 of any Rock Band party!

An enthusiastic singer really gets the rest of the band going.

I think the voting thing is bad. For Rock Band 3 parties everybody would pick a song they want to sing and we would queue up a long setlist in quickplay and pass the mic. Not being able to make custom setlists in RB4 is a travesty. Picking a new song everytime in quickplay led to a lot of downtime.

Shoeless

(Plus the freestyle guitar solos. I seriously dislike them and having to turn them off every time I boot the game up. But maybe I'm in the minority.

This puzzles me. Not because I disagree with your feelings towards the freestyle guitar solos, though. I also turned them off, but for me they stayed off. I don't have to keep flipping a switch every time, so I'm confused as to why it keeps turning itself back on for you.

Dineren

Banned
Ugh, I've been enjoying RB 4 quite a bit, but when I was playing earlier my drums completely stopped responding. Not even the D-pad would work. I tried turning the ps4 completely off and back on and it still wasn't working. After that I tried deleting the bluetooth profile on the ps4 and reconnecting it and it seems to be responding again. I didn't have time to test it, but I hope it that was just a temporary fluke and not a recurring problem.

FYI for anyone that might have the issue I posted above, it still works an hour later after deleting the bluetooth profile and reconnecting. Hopefully it was just a one off glitch.

Mr.Fusion

So, I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem.

I'm on PS4 using my Beatles drum kit with two pedals plugged in. (One in the orange port and the other in the black port) and for some reason it won't register the pedal plugged into the black port. BUT, when I use the splitter and plug them both into the orange port they both work until the song starts. You can use the double kick before the song starts and get down, but as soon as the song starts both pedals stop working. I'm assuming it's because it doesn't like the splitter, but that seems odd to me. As soon as I unplug the splitter and plug in the one pedal to the orange port it works again.

However, all of this works fine in Rock Band 3. Does 4 not let you use the black port for an extra pedal? I'm confused.

I'm using the RB2 drums on Xbox One and the black kick pedal port doesn't work either. It sucks since I'm used to always using 2 pedals in RB3.

Grabbed the powered USB hub from RB1 and connected my mic to that, and it works now. Weird!
Glad its working for you now. Weird glitch though :/
Oh I'm always happy to sing so that's never an issue at my parties. Our issues tends to be too much time spent picking songs and not enough time playing. I'm very happy for shows cus I'd spend 15mins picking one song just to do it again after.

Pit

Anybody have an update on the DLC (especially for AU?). I've bought 5 or 6 packs on PSN but the only one i've been able to download is the black keys. I think im missing something. Are they releasing DLC in sections?

GamerJM

Banned
So yesterday I had a Rock Band 4 party and it was AWESOME
TMUBTI4.jpg

About a dozen of my friends showed up and it was an amazing time. A few things I noticed:

- Shows Mode was not used and had no interest of ever being used
- When introduced to Freestyle Guitars, the feature was immediately rejected
- Individual pausing is an INCREDIBLE mechanic and was heavily used
- Harmonies were heavily used and enjoyed
- Artists showing up in the shortcuts instead of the letter in Artist sorting was a fantastic idea for parties. I don't like it personally for individual play, but I'll bear it
- Few minor kick pedal complaints
- My guitar's whammy bar now sinks instead of standing still. It took years for that to happen to my World Tour guitar
- The lack of features was noticed and noticed HARD. Had a few people say they'd rather be playing Rock Band 3
- Light Up The Night is an instant party staple. What's Up is not.
- The note highway doesn't seem to flash red when you're failing. I like this. Makes it less stressful for people playing.
- Auto Kick Pedals would have been amazing. I still miss it from Lego Rock Band

Overall it was an awesome time (lasted from 7 PM to 2 in the morning) and people are already asking about the next one. I can't wait!!

Man, it's gonna be a while before I can play with a group again. Most of the people I used to play with are busy with school (aside from my sister who didn't seem to really have any interest in playing with me). Playing it today made me realize that playing it solo isn't anywhere near as fun, especially with all of the missing features (for example I'm pretty rusty and wanted to either be saved by someone whenever I failed out or go into practice mode, neither of which were possible :p). I miss the days when they'd just come over every day in the Summer and we'd just jam out to Rock Band and watch shitty shows on the Travel channel....

Just played through "All The Rage Back Home" by Interpol. Fucking hell how that's rated Tier 1 on Guitar I'll never know. I had major hand cramp near the end, but hey sightread 100% FC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPk_1AjjGA

A bunch of 0 tier and 1 tier songs on drums are seemingly way undertiered. Some of them aren't but some of them totally are.

This is rule #1 of any Rock Band party!

An enthusiastic singer really gets the rest of the band going.

I think the voting thing is bad. For Rock Band 3 parties everybody would pick a song they want to sing and we would queue up a long setlist in quickplay and pass the mic. Not being able to make custom setlists in RB4 is a travesty. Picking a new song everytime in quickplay led to a lot of downtime.

Oh I'm always happy to sing so that's never an issue at my parties. Our issues tends to be too much time spent picking songs and not enough time playing. I'm very happy for shows cus I'd spend 15mins picking one song just to do it again after.

I find your comments very interesting. We always pick songs one by one, since the choosing song parts allow us some downtime to check phones, change instruments, talk, etc. Person who claims singer gets the controller and scrolls through the list while people watch and find songs they'd like to play, so they know what to play when they call it. Also I think playing more than 1 song in a row is exhausting. I like picking them one by one and I'm glad my friends are the same.

Man, it's gonna be a while before I can play with a group again. Most of the people I used to play with are busy with school (aside from my sister who didn't seem to really have any interest in playing with me). Playing it today made me realize that playing it solo isn't anywhere near as fun, especially with all of the missing features (for example I'm pretty rusty and wanted to either be saved by someone whenever I failed out or go into practice mode, neither of which were possible :p). I miss the days when they'd just come over every day in the Summer and we'd just jam out to Rock Band and watch shitty shows on the Travel channel....
I love playing it solo. But nothing beats getting a group and singing along to Bohemian Rhapsody on Rock Band 3 at 3 in the morning in one of our uni's laundry rooms. Those were some good times.

And dude! No fail mode! It's always on for me. I occasionally go to my uni's game club and there's Rock Band there and once a dude turned off no fail mode and the lead singer, who was playing for the first time ever, failed out 3 times and booted us out of the song. The look of misery on her face was unforgettable and I will never let that happen at a party I throw, Rock Band or otherwise.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't actually have the game yet, but wait a second, this doesn't have a practice mode? That's been an important staple of these games since Guitar Hero II, how do you leave that out?

I don't actually have the game yet, but wait a second, this doesn't have a practice mode? That's been an important staple of these games since Guitar Hero II, how do you leave that out?

Because they only had so much dev time, and they wanted to get it released before GH Live. It's more than likely going to get patched in, and I wouldn't be surprised if it made it into the December patch.

Guess Who

Banned
Because they only had so much dev time, and they wanted to get it released before GH Live. It's more than likely going to get patched in, and I wouldn't be surprised if it made it into the December patch.

I feel like that's a shitty excuse. It's not like they are starting from scratch - like they don't already have a codebase with so many of these missing features already implemented. Why couldn't they have just started with the RB3 codebase and built atop that?

I mean, honestly, RB3 Remastered with a new disc setlist and their new features grafted on top seems like it not only would have been a better product than this, but it wouldn't have required them to reinvent the wheel like they seem to be doing.

Okay, what the fuck is up with the calibration setting in this game? On Rock Band 3 (360) drums, my settings are 0ms audio/27ms video. On Rock Band 4 (X1) drums, it's like 150ms audio/97ms video.

No luck getting a rb 2 code from ea, I found my old copy of rb2 with the 16 digit code that wasn't used but it seems they can't do anything with that and are now directing me back toward harmonix.

So my last resort is to ask if there's a kind soul out there who would be willing to sell a code, I'm still gonna try for a few more days with ea but I'm not getting my hopes up with them.

FyreWulff

I feel like that's a shitty excuse. It's not like they are starting from scratch - like they don't already have a codebase with so many of these missing features already implemented. Why couldn't they have just started with the RB3 codebase and built atop that?

They outright said in one of the announcement videos way back in spring that they were starting over with a brand new engine so that it'd actually be able to take advantage of next-gen systems.

If you check the credits for all Rock Band games, another company licensed their code and did the online mode for every single Rock Band title.

So I just found out I have an unused export code for Lego Rock Band. These expired didn't they? I also actually need the disc and the code to export it, right?

So I just found out I have an unused export code for Lego Rock Band. These expired didn't they? I also actually need the disc and the code to export it, right?
The code gives you a small export key which allows you to go to the LRB store and purchase the export itself, which is still available.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Okay, what the fuck is up with the calibration setting in this game? On Rock Band 3 (360) drums, my settings are 0ms audio/27ms video. On Rock Band 4 (X1) drums, it's like 150ms audio/97ms video.

I have no idea, but I had something similar happen. My settings in 3 are about 40 for both audio and video and they ballooned up something fierce in Rock Band 4. I tried my old calibration numbers to start and the game was basically unplayable.

KaYotiX

Banned
Maybe old news but just found out I can use my xbox One headset on the controller and it works :)

No more keeping game at low volume via home theater at night.

Top Bottom