• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

I feel like that's a shitty excuse. It's not like they are starting from scratch - like they don't already have a codebase with so many of these missing features already implemented. Why couldn't they have just started with the RB3 codebase and built atop that?

I mean, honestly, RB3 Remastered with a new disc setlist and their new features grafted on top seems like it not only would have been a better product than this, but it wouldn't have required them to reinvent the wheel like they seem to be doing.

They outright said in one of the announcement videos way back in spring that they were starting over with a brand new engine so that it'd actually be able to take advantage of next-gen systems.

If you check the credits for all Rock Band games, another company licensed their code and did the online mode for every single Rock Band title.

To expand on this a little bit, a lot of people seem to think that porting between platforms/engines is just a simple copy/paste/rebuild job. It really isn't. It means you have a general idea of the steps you need to do to make something work, but many times you still have to rewrite that code basically from scratch. And that's if they haven't changed the way certain things work on a fundamental level (and usually when switching between engines or moving between console generations, they have changed the way many things work on a fundamental level).

Yeah I've always had an issue with hitting the mic just right so when I found out you could just use the controller I was like fuckin A
Wow. Probably over 1k hours in this series and I didn't know. Amazing.

Also I like the Band in the Box mic. It's better than my World Tour mic, which got kind of destroyed after years of parties. I used it as the main mic and the WT mic as a harmony mic at my party

j-wood

So I lucked out and bought a used copy of rb3 in the original box for ps3 from GameStop. I have a launch copy of rock band 2. How can I do this export business?

So I lucked out and bought a used copy of rb3 in the original box for ps3 from GameStop. I have a launch copy of rock band 2. How can I do this export business?

When you start up RB3 one of the options on the main menu should be "Get More Songs". Then select the enter code option and enter in the code from the back of your RB2 manual and pay the $10 fee for the license/download. Be aware that people have been reporting said the export has expired in the past, but I had my code work just the other week on 360, so it may work out.

Edit: Apparently the export worked differently on PS3 and than 360, so you might just have to try EA support to get a code for the export now that the page is down.

To expand on this a little bit, a lot of people seem to think that porting between platforms/engines is just a simple copy/paste/rebuild job. It really isn't. It means you have a general idea of the steps you need to do to make something work, but many times you still have to rewrite that code basically from scratch. And that's if they haven't changed the way certain things work on a fundamental level (and usually when switching between engines or moving between console generations, they have changed the way many things work on a fundamental level).

I'll attest for that. It took me 4 months to build GunWorld. It took me longer than that to port it to Xbox One.

How do you take screenshots on the Xbone? You used to be able to hit Y after double tapping the Xbox button but that doesn't work anymore? I'm not on the NXOE.

I cancelled a 5* run of Satch Boogie because it was done with a freestyle solo and it didn't feel right. These things really need separate leaderboards.

Yaari

Is there anyone that would be willing to help me get my RB2 exported? I'd need you to recover my account on your 360, and export the songs for me using a code that I do have.

I have balance on my account so that should not be an issue. I just don't know where to get a damn Xbox 360 from at this point.

I've bought a new copy of RB3 but even then I just don't know any people that still have a Xbox 360. It sucks.

robotrock

Banned
Harmonix sold me a $15 copy of Rock Band Blitz with only three songs on Monday and have still not given me the rest of the soundtrack

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The BIAB mic is just awful. It doesn't register hits for the tambourine parts and my voice isn't registering for certain parts. As someone who was getting higher expert scores on the old versions I'm getting super pissed at this. Anyone else having this issue?

I don't think it's the mic. I did a test on my old mics on both xb1 Rb4 and 360 rb3 in the same song and found rb4s vocal engine to be much more wonky. it is not even worth trying it on expert anymore as the mic pitches seem way off compared to rb3. Harmonies seem really off as well, again same song as in Rb3 was played.

I loved singing in all previous games and so far I'm almost at the point of going to rb3 forever. It's really dissapointing after being a mega fan for all these years..

I really hope this is just an issue they can patch up in a month or so...

myca77

Just played a good few songs...

Not sure I like the crowd singing along. Sometimes it ruins the actual song, other times its actually cool.

Just out of interest which songs do you think the singalongs don't work well with.

I found that some of the songs worked really really well, and others maybe not as well, but it's been a while since I listened to them TBH.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I finally broke down last night and went through all the tracks I had on my 360 via the RB Blitz interface, writing down every one. Fired up RB 4 today and went through the store adding tracks I'd bought, but which didn't show up previously, and I ended up with nearly 200 more songs, including all the Queen tracks except for Death on Two Legs, which will import from Blitz eventually. There were still several which did not transfer, but I'd say I likely now have 90% or better of the paid DLC I had before. Now, for the previous games content to become available...

Kiko

This is my first Rock Band (yea yea I know), it is unbelievable how nothing is explained. After hours of research I found some hints. This is probably the worst game I ever played in terms of getting introduced to the series. Anyway I quite like it although I certainly suck ;) is there any kind of complete guide or smth?

This is my first Rock Band (yea yea I know), it is unbelievable how nothing is explained. After hours of research I found some hints. This is probably the worst game I ever played in terms of getting introduced to the series. Anyway I quite like it although I certainly suck ;) is there any kind of complete guide or smth?

What are you looking to understand besides "hit the notes as they come down the lane highway"?

Pretty sure the score threshold is higher for charted solos than freestyled solos

Yup, did a check on that. You can barely gold star "Start A Band" with the freestyle solos, where-as FCing it with regular solos allows you to break the gold star score threshold a lot easier, and with a higher score.

Kiko

What are you looking to understand besides "hit the notes as they come down the lane highway"?

Yeah...there are some white notes. Some are smaller. Also what is the best finger position etc. It's really basic stuff. I mean sure sooner or later I'll find out somehow. But a general tutorial would've been nice

Yeah...there are some white notes. Some are smaller. Also what is the best finger position etc. It's really basic stuff. I mean sure sooner or later I'll find out somehow. But a general tutorial would've been nice

I guess they figured they didn't need one because the gameplay has basically stayed the same for over a decade (for guitar, the basic gameplay isn't really that different from GH1), and most people playing have played one of those games in that time. And the white notes are overdrive, and I believe the smaller notes are Hammer On/Pull Offs (meaning on higher difficulties, you can hit the buttons without strumming and have it register).

xzeldax3

I hate the new drum fills feature too. It always screws up my multiplier. I just went back to classic fills.
You can also break your multiplier in static fills unfortunately. I wish they just didn't change how they worked because it's been fine in all the previous games.

Harmonix sold me a $15 copy of Rock Band Blitz with only three songs on Monday and have still not given me the rest of the soundtrack
You have to boot up Blitz and it will prompt a song pack download for the rest of the songs.

If you hit all the white notes, you will be given some overdrive. Once you have at least half of a bar, you can tilt your guitar to activate it. This gives you double points until it runs out. Generally you gain a 1/4th of your bar when you hit all the white notes, but there are some areas that are lit up golden and you will get double overdrive (unless you are playing with a friend. At least two people must do them to get double overdrive).

The small notes are HOPOs (Hammer-ons & pull-offs). If you strum the note before them, you can tap all of the small notes without strumming. If you miss one, you will have to strum the next note to continue playing HOPOs without strumming.

Hello friend and welcome to Rock Band!!

The white notes are Overdrive notes. You see the meter where your score multiplier is (Where it says X2, X3, X4, or blank)? You fill that up with those white notes (hit a phrase of them successfully without missing a note out over hitting) and when it's at least half full you can activate Overdrive! This doubles your multiplier! Overdrive is activated differently with different instruments:
Guitar/Bass: Tilt your guitar controller. Or you can press select on your guitar (YMMV I just discovered this from my Xbox One BIAB guitar)
Vocals: Say anything even the bottom of top of the chart is glowing gold. Or press select on your controller (recommended)
Drums: Complicated, since there are three different options to do it which you can fiddle with in the options. But the basics are they're gonna throw you a green phrase that if you hit the end note which is green, you'll activate Overdrive!

The smaller notes are Ho-Pos. If you're a beginner, don't worry about them. Just hit them like you do normal notes. Once you get comfortable with Rock Band and are looking to further your skill ceiling, then you can with about them! But they're harmless.

And best finger positions depends on person to person, but on the easier difficulties I would put my index finger on green, middle on red, ring on yellow, pinky on blue. On harder difficulties you'll have to shift around but you don't need to worry about that now!

I hope I helped a little bit and if there's anything you're confused about, I'd be happy to help more!! :)

Gorger

I am guessing you're on the guitar, so it's quite simple.

The five colored squares that flies down the screen are your notes and to hit them you need to hold down the matching fret button and strum it at the right time. Hit the notes to increase your multiplier and by sustaining a high streak you'll get awarded with more points and stars.

I'll try and explain some of the features of the game:

* When you see notes that are smaller and have two white lines on the sides means that they are HO/PO (hammer on/pull off) notes which can be pressed without pressing the strum bar. They are frequent on fast parts and guitar solos and makes hitting them much easier. Mastering the HO/PO's is one of the last and trickiest things you'll do as a guitarist, so you're still far off reaching this part.

* Sometimes your notes will turn completely white, and by hitting all the white notes without missing you'll power up your guitar. You can see how much power you have by looking at the yellow line which is next to your multiplier score. When the yellow bar is halfway full you can tilt your guitar to go into overdrive which doubles your multiplier for a short period of time. Using the overdrive function on sections with many notes or tricky areas is smart if you need help passing certain areas. But using it on slow parts with few notes is a waste. Being smart and strategic with the overdrive function will net you a lot of bonus points.

* Sometimes you'll see notes with a long line, this means you need to hold down the button to sustain the note. You won't lose your multiplier if you release the button early, but you can get more points by holding it down or make cool sounds with the whammy bar.

* You can actually press the strum bar up and down to make it easier to sustain fast notes. It's very common for new players to completely ignore this feature, but doing so will end up in biting you. Learning up/down strumming is very importing to advance the difficulty tiers.

Just ask me if you have more questions about the game.

j-wood

I've tried EA twice and they keep directing me to harmonix support. Why would they take down the site to convert this stupid code?

Obviously people can still buy it if you have the code, and it sounds like xbox people can, but playstation users can't. This is BS. I didn't follow harmonix religiously so how was i supposed to know this was going to expire.

I have the code from the back of my rb2 manual, but it's one set of numbers to long, since PSN only uses 3 sets of numbers. Is there nothing I can do?

Rated-G

If anyone has a Green Day code they don't want, I'd be appreciative and happy to take it off your hands. My code is apparently invalid and I've been having a hell of a time trying to get anything out of EA support. I've gotten one code out of them and it turned out to be for a Beatles Rock Band Rubber Soul album. Which... I redeemed because I didn't have that album yet.

Reading all these posts hunting for codes and worrying about exports makes me glad I've exported every single exportable RB game upon their initial release. Phew!

Smug mode...activate!

jUfut4c.gif

Rated-G

Reading all these posts hunting for codes and worrying about exports makes me glad I've exported every single exportable RB game upon their initial release. Phew!

Smug mode...activate!

jUfut4c.gif

I just wish I'd picked up Green Day when it had come out instead of waiting until a week before Rock Band 4 launched... Otherwise I used all my export codes the day we were able to.

FyreWulff

I've tried EA twice and they keep directing me to harmonix support. Why would they take down the site to convert this stupid code?

Obviously people can still buy it if you have the code, and it sounds like xbox people can, but playstation users can't. This is BS. I didn't follow harmonix religiously so how was i supposed to know this was going to expire.

I have the code from the back of my rb2 manual, but it's one set of numbers to long, since PSN only uses 3 sets of numbers. Is there nothing I can do?

Harmonix officially cannot support the exports anymore. The fact that people are able to get codes off EA isn't something Harmonix can probably even acknowledge for legal reasons.

I just wish I'd picked up Green Day when it had come out instead of waiting until a week before Rock Band 4 launched... Otherwise I used all my export codes the day we were able to.

I remember the gamestop preorder bonus for green day was a free export code. Gamestop didnt even know when I bought it, so I had to go back later and get it lol

I'll take it if you don't want it. Mine was invalid from EA and they wouldn't give me a new one

Already redeemed, plus it's just an entitlement.

Guessing I need to go grab one of these cheap used copies of Green Day Rock Band. Is it ready to export on PS4 if exported from the game itself and not Rock Band 3?

It's a real shame Harmonix was willing to create such confusion with the exports and not have the RB1, RB2, RB3, Blitz, Green Day, and Lego exports ready all in an effort to just beat Guitar Hero to market. Awful, awful.

All this should have been taken care of by launch.

Yaari

It's a real shame Harmonix was willing to create such confusion with the exports and not have the RB1, RB2, RB3, Blitz, Green Day, and Lego exports ready all in an effort to just beat Guitar Hero to market. Awful, awful.

Yeah I wish all of those games were just available digitally, so I could just buy them to get my license.

Finding a 360 console when you don't know many people, sucks balls.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

I'm sure dumping over 1700 dlc on the store at once is no easy task. Having a timeline would honestly be cool but it will come when it comes, which is soon. I'm eager to play some green day, as weird as that sounds.

Kolma

Smug mode...activate!

jUfut4c.gif

This is the exact boat I'm in.
I bought Rock Band games day 1.
I even own Unplugged(both retail and lite) both iOS releases and Lego RB and RB3 on DS.
(though admittedly i bought the DS games when they were 10 bucks new)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone have an issue with the adapter blinking all the time the xbox is on -- even when not playing RB or doing anything with it? I just had to unplug it but that's kind of annoying.

Kolma

Anyone have an issue with the adapter blinking all the time the xbox is on -- even when not playing RB or doing anything with it? I just had to unplug it but that's kind of annoying.

Get used to it or unplug it.
This is how the Dongles were for RB2 on Wii. Even when the Wii was off they would constantly blink a blight blue light. I eventually put electric tape over them cause I didn't want to unplug/replug them every time I played.

Because I didn't buy rb3 till today. Why should I have to have rb 3 to export rb2 unto rb4? I didn't buy 3 because I didn't care for the songs In it.

Because music licenses aren't indefinite and have to be renegotiated. I imagine that if all these exports hadn't expired, there would be a way to get them all in RB4. In a perfect world, they'd probably all work like RB1 will (buy the export key straight from the store and that's it).

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This is the exact boat I'm in.
I bought Rock Band games day 1.
I even own Unplugged(both retail and lite) both iOS releases and Lego RB and RB3 on DS.
(though admittedly i bought the DS games when they were 10 bucks new)

Yeah, well, do you have two copies of the beatles rock band? Huh?!?!?!?

Top Bottom