• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Yaari

Not to blame the victim here, but I don't know why people waited years to do this stuff...

I should've done it earlier. It's just that I had RB1 and 2 on PS3. Then RB3 on 360, and I did not really care much for the setlists enough to buy the other 2 games another time.

Then I stopped playing RB3, and I sold my 360 with anything Rock Band related because I did not think the franchise would ever be back. And now were are here. Lol.

Don't mind rebuying the RB3. It comes in useful soon now that its confirmed to be required for the export. At least I'm good as far as that game goes.

A lot of my songs have come from the exportable retail track pack discs. (Such as metal track pack, etc. Etc.) Any ETA when those songs will be downloadable? I'm assuming when the Rock Band exports become available. Right?

Kolma

Because I didn't buy rb3 till today. Why should I have to have rb 3 to export rb2 unto rb4? I didn't buy 3 because I didn't care for the songs In it.

Should have bought it for the updates and the new DLC that was exclusive to RB3 then maybe?

Kolma

Yeah, well, do you have two copies of the beatles rock band? Huh?!?!?!?

Well no. but I did own RB2, lego, beatles, ACDC and Greenday on Wii before selling it all and buying it all over again on 360 along with all the track packs (minus country) once I saw RB3 was announced. (which I own 2 copies of RB3, both EA and madcatz version)

bobohoro

Won some money at a local golf tournament and thought why not take the plunge on RB4 earlier than planned. Went in with low expectations, since I knew it's pretty much a barebones early-access-thingy, still came out disappointed after an afternoon of play. Even went back to RB3 for the last hour of playtime tonight.

Couple of things:
  • GH World Tour guitar gives me all sorts of trouble. Tongle does not get powered by the PS4, and on the one off chance it did, after many reboots and replugging, the yellow and blue buttons were switched. Tried another replugging, tongle doesn't react anymore. Short internet research shows that it's a known problem without any solution or acknowledgement by Harmonix. That leaves me with my Hofner Bass, which looks nice, but plays like shit.
  • Scores are fucked in all sorts of ways. Quickplay/Tour/Show-mode all have different leaderboards due to overdrive/streak-carry-over, which annoys me. Every song only shows your highest score on any instrument, you have to go to the details page to see all the scores for the others. With delays.
  • Calibration seems messed up. My numbers are way too high, feels like there is 100ms of lag somewhere in there with no reason at all. Can't seem to find the sweetspot, something always feels off. And the auto calibration of the Hofner Bass isn't supported, it seems.
  • Export/DLC situation is a mess. Either not available or a pain to redownload.
  • Freestyle Solos are dumb.
  • No playlist-creation is dumb.
  • Character creation is also dumb.
  • And lots of other small stuff.

The only things that stood out to me as positives were the countdown until your next part is up, the gold star meter and the overall smoother menus. Everything else, right now, feels inferior to Rock Band 3 in every way possible.

A lot of my songs have come from the exportable retail track pack discs. (Such as metal track pack, etc. Etc.) Any ETA when those songs will be downloadable? I'm assuming when the Rock Band exports become available. Right?

Possibly sooner. I personally believe that the track packs and Green Day: Rock Band are going to end up working first since almost all of those songs are already on the store and eligible, they just have to make it so that having the export key in your purchase history allows you to download them. The RB1/RB2/Lego/(RB3 when it comes) exports involve making songs available that are not, and never have been, on the store individually (RB1 and RB3 were never on the store at all, and RB2 and Lego downloaded as one big track pack instead of singles).

Possibly sooner. I personally believe that the track packs and Green Day: Rock Band are going to end up working first since almost all of those songs are already on the store and eligible, they just have to make it so that having the export key in your purchase history allows you to download them. The RB1/RB2/Lego/(RB3 when it comes) exports involve making songs available that are not, and never have been, on the store individually (RB1 and RB3 were never on the store at all, and RB2 and Lego downloaded as one big track pack instead of singles).

Getting tracks as individual downloads would help to mitigate a lot of the angst about not getting export codes. Looking back at this I really only want Teen Age Riot and a handful of other things from Rock Band 2.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Well no. but I did own RB2, lego, beatles, ACDC and Greenday on Wii before selling it all and buying it all over again on 360 along with all the track packs (minus country) once I saw RB3 was announced. (which I own 2 copies of RB3, both EA and madcatz version)
Yeah, well I own two copies of fantasia!!!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Get used to it or unplug it.
This is how the Dongles were for RB2 on Wii. Even when the Wii was off they would constantly blink a blight blue light. I eventually put electric tape over them cause I didn't want to unplug/replug them every time I played.
Haha ok thanks. That's really dumb since every other BT device I have doesn't do this. But good to know.

Yaari

Well, I'll ask one last time before I stop spamming the thread about it and just buy a used 360 instead. If anyone is willing to login my account on their 360, and use my code to export RB2, I'll send you 10$. I have balance on my account so that should not be an issue.

Still cheaper than buying an console I only need to use for 10 minutes, sigh.

Well, I'll ask one last time before I stop spamming the thread about it and just buy a used 360 instead. If anyone is willing to login my account on their 360, and use my code to export RB2, I'll send you 10$. I have balance on my account so that should not be an issue.

Do you need a copy of RB3 to do this?

Yaari

Do you need a copy of RB3 to do this?

Yeah you will. Unfortunately I bought a physical copy otherwise someone helping me could just download the digital one I would have bought.

I'm also not sure if paying for the export, using my balance (which is in EUR), might prove any difficulty for someone in the US. It's been so long since I used a 360.

Yeah you will. Unfortunately I bought a physical copy otherwise someone helping me could just download the digital one I would have bought.

I'm also not sure if paying for the export, using my balance (which is in EUR), might prove any difficulty for someone in the US. It's been so long since I used a 360.

Yeah, I have a 360 that's sitting around doing nothing, but all my Rock Band purchases are/were on PS3. I wish I could help.

Neil_J_UK

Right, can someone help me confirm whether I'm going bonkers or not.

I'm a pretty experienced guitar player, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing something basic.

Am I right in saying that there are certain combination of notes you can strum successfully whilst holding down more frets than you actually need to?

For e.g. (i know it's not this, but something similar) if I just needed to hit an orange note, I could hold both the blue and orange keys on the guitar and strum and it would play it correctly.

Or am I just talking out my arse?

Right, can someone help me confirm whether I'm going bonkers or not.

I'm a pretty experienced guitar player, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing something basic.

Am I right in saying that there are certain combination of notes you can strum successfully whilst holding down more frets than you actually need to?

For e.g. (i know it's not this, but something similar) if I just needed to hit an orange note, I could hold both the blue and orange keys on the guitar and strum and it would play it correctly.

Or am I just talking out my arse?

You're right. For playing single notes at least, I believe only registers the highest note you're pressing. So if you're holding all 5 and an orange notes comes up, if you strum it'll be correct.

Because I didn't buy rb3 till today. Why should I have to have rb 3 to export rb2 unto rb4? I didn't buy 3 because I didn't care for the songs In it.
Not to mention rock band 3 was an extremely scarce game to come across for ps3, (in Canada anyways) as it didn't release digitally.

Plus not having access to high speed Internet until about 3 years ago in my rural area didn't help lol.

FyreWulff

correct. you can hold any number of lower frets while playing a single higher fret.

so if you have a string of
Code:
B O

O

B O

O

B O

O

You can just hold Blue and Orange through the entire thing

Yaari

For real? I had no idea. Wow.

Yeah, I have a 360 that's sitting around doing nothing, but all my Rock Band purchases are/were on PS3. I wish I could help.

That's too bad, but thanks anyway. I appreciate it. Digital would have been more convenient, but hey, too late now. Haha.

Uncle AJ

So there's only ONE pre-order song stuck in Jane purgatory for me lol. (Follow Me Down by Pretty Reckless)

I've uninstalled the song, power-cycled the Xbox and re-downloaded it three times now. The title is very plainly "Follow Me Down" before downloading it, but the system notification says it downloaded "Jane." The notification also has two RB4 icons on the left instead of one, which is odd.

Kolma

Does anyone have any advice on a good USB mic that's compatible with the Xbox One version?

You can basically buy any USB mic made for ps2/3/4, xbox 360,one, wii/u

This includes guitar hero, rock band, naked brother's band, high school musical sing it, Sing Party.

BUT NOT SINGSTAR.

The newer the mic is (especially rock band ones) the better the quality and audio frequency range.

Maybe old, but a few more DLC songs that were previously busted on PSN are fixed. I was able to download:

• "R U Mine?" - Arctic Monkeys
  • "Critical Acclaim" - Avenged Sevenfold
  • "Unholy Confessions" - Avenged Sevenfold
  • "The Thrill is Gone" - B.B. King
  • "Something from Nothing" - Foo Fighters
  • "My Way" - Limp Bizkit
  • "Mr. Crowley" - Ozzy Osbourne
  • "Rize of the Fenix" - Tenacious D

All of which either refused to download previously or were missing from the PS4 store. I still have a few songs that won't download, but at least I'm a few closer to having my full collection back.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So there's only ONE pre-order song stuck in Jane purgatory for me lol. (Follow Me Down by Pretty Reckless)

I've uninstalled the song, power-cycled the Xbox and re-downloaded it three times now. The title is very plainly "Follow Me Down" before downloading it, but the system notification says it downloaded "Jane." The notification also has two RB4 icons on the left instead of one, which is odd.

Yep, same story here. And "Live Forever" is still "Hit Me With Your Best Shot", though I have enough Oasis so that's not as bad.

And unless it's replacing something I haven't noticed, I somehow got "All the Rage Back Home" free. Which is nice.

Right now, I'm only waiting for the rest of the Queen 01 pack, Take on Me, and for them to relist the "Get the Funk Out" pack that got delisted because of James Brown and then I'll have all my DLC back.

Maybe old, but a few more DLC songs that were previously busted on PSN are fixed. I was able to download:

• "R U Mine?" - Arctic Monkeys
  • "Critical Acclaim" - Avenged Sevenfold
  • "Unholy Confessions" - Avenged Sevenfold
  • "The Thrill is Gone" - B.B. King
  • "Something from Nothing" - Foo Fighters
  • "My Way" - Limp Bizkit
  • "Mr. Crowley" - Ozzy Osbourne
  • "Rize of the Fenix" - Tenacious D

All of which either refused to download previously or were missing from the PS4 store. I still have a few songs that won't download, but at least I'm a few closer to having my full collection back.

I can't get Mr. Crowley to download -- probably because the pack is still messed up, right?

xzeldax3

I'm pissed that they pulled Rock n Roll Star by Oasis because I bought it the day everyone was freaking out that it was working in Rock Band 4 again.

I noticed the "holding multiple frets" thing way back, I believe in Guitar Hero 1. I was just doing it without thinking because the concept is true(ish) to playing guitar, and I played guitar back then.

evanmisha

I'm pissed that they pulled Rock n Roll Star by Oasis because I bought it the day everyone was freaking out that it was working in Rock Band 4 again.

I pushed it to my PS4 the day downloads went up and it still works. Guess I'll put it beside P.T. on my list of shit I'll scream about if my PS4 ever dies

I'd trade it for Free Fallin' and Monsoon tho D:

evanmisha

Excited for DLC tomorrow. Hopefully something good to kick off with.

I would be very surprised if it was anything more than just the Amazon pre-order songs.

3 songs of which I'm pretty hyped for and couldn't get myself, with no retailers giving out that pack in Canada.

So, I accidentally downloaded a couple cover versions of songs I have since acquired the real version of....

There's no way to delete / hide these individual files, either in-game or at a system level, right? (PS4)

I have a 360 but only have a digital copy of RB3 (just played it tonight actually lol). I'm trying to think if I can make that work or not. Like, does it not work for your account because I have the digital version attached to my account? I don't know.

If you think it will, shoot me a PM and I will try tomorrow night, as long as the baby cooperates.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I figured that out back when I was still playing Guitar Hero III. I thought it was a glitch.

It doesn't work with chords, however, you have to press the chord's frets and nothing else.

It was done intentionally to make the game behave more like a guitar.

Haven't been able to pair my guitar on windows 10, it connects, asks me for a code, I click next and it still says connected but the led keeps flashing and the updater doesn't work.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I wish tilting to activate overdrive would work on my GH guitar. I always lose my combo when I press the overdrive button on the guitar. 😓

So, I accidentally downloaded a couple cover versions of songs I have since acquired the real version of....

There's no way to delete / hide these individual files, either in-game or at a system level, right? (PS4)

If it bothers you that much, you can delete the whole game and re-download all the DLC. Other than that, you'll have to wait until they patch in filters/ratings, which should include the ability to hide songs in your library (which they ended up patching into Rock Band 3 after release as well).

Kolma

If it bothers you that much, you can delete the whole game and re-download all the DLC. Other than that, you'll have to wait until they patch in filters/ratings, which should include the ability to hide songs in your library (which they ended up patching into Rock Band 3 after release as well).

I think PS4 auto downloads all DLC you own for a game automatically.
(not counting RB4's dlc initial download because you have to "repurchase" the dlc)

I think PS4 auto downloads all DLC you own for a game automatically.
(not counting RB4's dlc initial download because you have to "repurchase" the dlc)

I don't think so, because I actually had to delete and reinstall Rock Band 4 after it first unlocked (basically, it stopped recognizing the DLC I was downloading, no matter how many times I tried to rebuild the database). I then proceeded to have to redownload everything I had spent the past couple days downloading (thankfully, is was only about 50 or so songs, as I had focused on the large packs).

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Well this sucks. My GH guitar just stopped working on my PS4 for some reason. The dongle won't even flash the red light anymore. It was working earlier today playing Rock Band 4 on my PS4. I plugged it into my PS3 and it works without any problems. It's the GH World Tour guitar if that makes any difference. Anyone have this issue?

Kolma

Well this sucks. My GH guitar just stopped working on my PS4 for some reason. The dongle won't even flash the red light anymore. It was working earlier today playing Rock Band 4 on my PS4. I plugged it into my PS3 and it works without any problems. It's the GH World Tour guitar if that makes any difference. Anyone have this issue?

Did you smash it after your setlist like activision says you should?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev66m8Obosw

Hey Yaari, I can help you with this if you still need help.

I'll PM you so we can figure out the details.

Top Bottom