• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Kiko

I guess they figured they didn't need one because the gameplay has basically stayed the same for over a decade (for guitar, the basic gameplay isn't really that different from GH1), and most people playing have played one of those games in that time. And the white notes are overdrive, and I believe the smaller notes are Hammer On/Pull Offs (meaning on higher difficulties, you can hit the buttons without strumming and have it register).

Hello friend and welcome to Rock Band!!

The white notes are Overdrive notes. You see the meter where your score multiplier is (Where it says X2, X3, X4, or blank)? You fill that up with those white notes (hit a phrase of them successfully without missing a note out over hitting) and when it's at least half full you can activate Overdrive! This doubles your multiplier! Overdrive is activated differently with different instruments:
Guitar/Bass: Tilt your guitar controller. Or you can press select on your guitar (YMMV I just discovered this from my Xbox One BIAB guitar)
Vocals: Say anything even the bottom of top of the chart is glowing gold. Or press select on your controller (recommended)
Drums: Complicated, since there are three different options to do it which you can fiddle with in the options. But the basics are they're gonna throw you a green phrase that if you hit the end note which is green, you'll activate Overdrive!

The smaller notes are Ho-Pos. If you're a beginner, don't worry about them. Just hit them like you do normal notes. Once you get comfortable with Rock Band and are looking to further your skill ceiling, then you can with about them! But they're harmless.

And best finger positions depends on person to person, but on the easier difficulties I would put my index finger on green, middle on red, ring on yellow, pinky on blue. On harder difficulties you'll have to shift around but you don't need to worry about that now!

I hope I helped a little bit and if there's anything you're confused about, I'd be happy to help more!! :)

I am guessing you're on the guitar, so it's quite simple.

The five colored squares that flies down the screen are your notes and to hit them you need to hold down the matching fret button and strum it at the right time. Hit the notes to increase your multiplier and by sustaining a high streak you'll get awarded with more points and stars.

I'll try and explain some of the features of the game:

* When you see notes that are smaller and have two white lines on the sides means that they are HO/PO (hammer on/pull off) notes which can be pressed without pressing the strum bar. They are frequent on fast parts and guitar solos and makes hitting them much easier. Mastering the HO/PO's is one of the last and trickiest things you'll do as a guitarist, so you're still far off reaching this part.

* Sometimes your notes will turn completely white, and by hitting all the white notes without missing you'll power up your guitar. You can see how much power you have by looking at the yellow line which is next to your multiplier score. When the yellow bar is halfway full you can tilt your guitar to go into overdrive which doubles your multiplier for a short period of time. Using the overdrive function on sections with many notes or tricky areas is smart if you need help passing certain areas. But using it on slow parts with few notes is a waste. Being smart and strategic with the overdrive function will net you a lot of bonus points.

* Sometimes you'll see notes with a long line, this means you need to hold down the button to sustain the note. You won't lose your multiplier if you release the button early, but you can get more points by holding it down or make cool sounds with the whammy bar.

* You can actually press the strum bar up and down to make it easier to sustain fast notes. It's very common for new players to completely ignore this feature, but doing so will end up in biting you. Learning up/down strumming is very importing to advance the difficulty tiers.

Just ask me if you have more questions about the game.

Woah thanks people. Better than any guide! Made things much more clear to me <3

Do strum lanes ever work for anybody? Like ever since they were introduced in RB3 I'm not sure I've ever had them work consistently. Same with those trill lanes.

Kolma

Do strum lanes ever work for anybody? Like ever since they were introduced in RB3 I'm not sure I've ever had them work consistently. Same with those trill lanes.

The important part of those is to stay consistant. you can not speed up or slow down during them unless you see the notes get closer together or father apart.

Either play them as they are shown on it, or play it to the beat of the music. (usually one in the same)

Pit

Is there a concise list of what DLC is available on PS4 atm? Most of the packs i've bought, show no content.

Is there a concise list of what DLC is available on PS4 atm? Most of the packs i've bought, show no content.

If you've got a UK/EU/AUS account then the DLC is slowly trickling through, the count was at 526 out of 1,000-odd items last time I checked for RB1/2 DLC. A lot of songs won't appear as free yet either as individual tracks are going up before packs.

Go to the desktop web store, search for Rock Band, look at all the DLC for the game then tick the "PS4" box on the left hand side, that will cut it down to just the PS4 compatible tracks. Search for the free ones from there. Do the same for Rock Band 3, it's split into two different pages for some reason. There's less RB3 tracks available at this point though.

bobohoro

Well this sucks. My GH guitar just stopped working on my PS4 for some reason. The dongle won't even flash the red light anymore. It was working earlier today playing Rock Band 4 on my PS4. I plugged it into my PS3 and it works without any problems. It's the GH World Tour guitar if that makes any difference. Anyone have this issue?

Yeah. You can either reboot/unplug until you're lucky, or hope that they patch it somehow, since it's most definitely busted right now. Seems to only happen to World Tour guitars.

bigkurz

Banned
For those having trouble with the tambourine hits (I don't really wanna use the controller) I'm having much better luck smacking the thumb on the side of the mic (right on the line between the two screen parts on the end you speak into) then tapping the top.

Just a thought.

CloudWolf

The all-in-one bundle for X1 is nowhere to be found in Italy

GG

:|

There are problems with the X1 version in Europe. I pre-ordered a month ago and it's apparently expected to arrive this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's pushed even further back.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
It's Monday! Time for another week of the bi-hourly crap shot of checking EU PSN if any of my old legacy DLC has been added!
We're at 565 as of now, some new songs have already been added today, I almost have 40% of my songs. Hoping for some kind of mega update tomorrow evening...

Oh yeah, DLC announcement today! I'm thinking it's more U2, would love more Van Halen first though.
Yeah it's gonna be either of those and/or the Amazon songs.

Those two were the big gets for Rock Band.

Speaking of which, wouldn't be surprised to see Eagles soon. There is no way their GH contract was as big as Metallica (also possible soon) and Van Halen.

Speaking of which, wouldn't be surprised to see Eagles soon. There is no way their GH contract was as big as Metallica (also possible soon) and Van Halen.

U2 being a big get makes me very depressed. But I'm sure I'm an outlier and the average RB player really digs them. Would be stoked for more VH and Metallica (good Metallica anyway) soon.

It's Monday! Time for another week of the bi-hourly crap shot of checking EU PSN if any of my old legacy DLC has been added!
We're at 565 as of now, some new songs have already been added today, I almost have 40% of my songs. Hoping for some kind of mega update tomorrow evening...

I guess they're getting the singles out first. When the packs come out, then things should improve, as long as they hook to the single correctly. Some more RB3 tracks are starting to trickle out now, at least. 111 items on the RB3 side, just another 21 on the RB3 (HMX) side, but that includes packs.

Also, what's up with the Soundgarden pack? It's not on the web store and in the RB Blitz and RB4 store it connects to the Yes pack asking for purchase (despite me already owning it).

j-wood

The more I think about it, the more I think Sony needs to step in and fix this RB2 export business.

Harmonix official stance is that the music license stuff expired. If that's the case, shouldn't you no longer be able to buy a RB2 export at all? Why can you on the 360? Because the MS system allows you to put in the code directly from the RB2 manual and buy the export key.

For Playstation, you have to convert that code into a new code that's useable for Sony's systems, and that conversion program is what no longer exist, probably because EA is no longer with Harmonix.

So it's BS that xbox users can still export, while playstation users are at the mercy of EA support, which no longer seems to work.

Gorger

Good picks Van Halen and Eagles is very welcome. Hoping for Heart (Crazy on you), Deep Purple (Burn), Dream Theater (Pull me Under) ZZ top (Sharp Dressed Men, La Grange), Stray Cats (Rock this Town)

I am down with some GH nostalgia :D

XShagrath

Easy answer to all the export questions that happen page after page after page...

You should have exported when it first became available! If you didn't get into the game until now, then that's your fault. There are countless games and products that have come and gone and are unavailable now. Sometimes you just have to let it go.

Bauer91

RB1/2 packs and albums are finally starting to show up EU PSN! Brutal Legend pack, Coheed and Cambria pack, Are You Experienced album etc. They're showing up as free since I have them so you probably won't need to download each song individually.

vg260

Anyone get wildly different calibration settings on their system with the Xbox One than their 360 using the same legacy equipment?

Anyone get wildly different calibration settings on their system with the Xbox One than their 360 using the same legacy equipment?
I havent tested it with PS4, but this wouldnt be that surprising. The systems themselves could have very different latency. PS4/PS3 using the same fightsticks get different results.

A Mad Catz TE2 gets 5.1MS of input delay on PS4 and 6.67MS of input delay on PS3 (using PS4 controller mode)

vg260

I havent tested it with PS4, but this wouldnt be that surprising. The systems themselves could have very different latency. PS4/PS3 using the same fightsticks get different results.

A Mad Catz TE2 gets 5.1MS of input delay on PS4 and 6.67MS of input delay on PS3 (using PS4 controller mode)

I'm finding the sweet spot for the video calibration in RB4 to be about 100 whereas I only had about 30-something on the 360. Seems like a huge difference. I did lose my calibration settings on the 360 a while back so I may not be remembering, but It was at most 50ish.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
RB1/2 packs and albums are finally starting to show up EU PSN! Brutal Legend pack, Coheed and Cambria pack, Are You Experienced album etc. They're showing up as free since I have them so you probably won't need to download each song individually.
Oh Goood gimme my Moving Pictures!!

I'm finding the sweet spot for the video calibration in RB4 to be about 100 whereas I only had about 30-something on the 360. Seems like a huge difference. I did lose my calibration settings on the 360 a while back so I may not be remembering, but It was at most 50ish.
it still wouldnt surprise me that much. I was just illustrating that a difference definitely will exist, a major difference is still very possible due to the conversion the legacy adapter is having to make

bobohoro

It's all three Deafheaven albums.
And the Punk Rock/Cody cover is in it for free.

Or some Scale The Summit. That would be fun to play.

But neither will ever come true, right?

I'm just getting my E-drumkit in order again. Seems like some of my modified cymbals and my floor tom are kinda giving out on me, might have to shop around for a bit.

The amazon pre-order tracks are on the EU PSN store already (before all of the actual first batch came out), so I hope that they're not this week's tracks, but I also feel that it's too soon for U2 or Van Halen.

It'll probably be something like a QOTSA or a Steely Dan 3-pack, something like that.

The worst thing about being into less popular bands is I never get to see them in Rock Band :( Where Say Anything and New Found Glory at? Harmonix pls.

The amazon pre-order tracks are on the EU PSN store already (before all of the actual first batch came out), so I hope that they're not this week's tracks, but I also feel that it's too soon for U2 or Van Halen.

It'll probably be something like a QOTSA or a Steely Dan 3-pack, something like that.

Smooth Sailing, I Say By the Ocean, Mexicola.

Here's my money.

Edit: PACKS GOING UP ON EU PSN GUYS. Roadrunner 01 is still fucked though. Hope they got on that soon, Aesthetics of Hate is one of my favourites.

Things I Saw: British Steel Album, Blink-182 02, Coheed and Cambria 01, The Fratellis 01, The Raconteurs 01, Lady Gaga 01, Brutal Legend 01, Breaking Benjamin 01, The PAX Collection 2009

Stanng243

It looks like they are working on getting the Doors downloadable. They now show as unavailable to buy to me, but I haven't found a way to download them on the webstore yet.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
What I really missed is the tradition of making fake DLC packs.

Queens Pack 2: If I Had a Tail, How to Handle a Rope, Misfit Love

It would sell like garbage and I don't care.

vg260

it still wouldnt surprise me that much. I was just illustrating that a difference definitely will exist, a major difference is still very possible due to the conversion the legacy adapter is having to make

Yeah, I'm just curious to see what number differences others are seeing.

Anyone have any examples?

I'm also curious how much latency is added using controller headphone audio vs via a wired connection.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
How the hell does noone ever want Song for the Dead in their fantasy Queens-packs lol
That's like the most Rock Band song by them period.

giphy.gif

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
How the hell does noone ever want Song for the Dead in their fantasy Queens-packs lol
That's like the most Rock Band song by them period.

To be honest, I don't really care for Songs for the Deaf. There's like four or five tracks I really like, but the whole thing has aged poorly to me and, man, do I hate those radio bits.

Kolma

Ofcourse...
Ladies & Gents, meet tomorrow's new DLC:
CQ6o77MUAAAafxd.jpg

*Edit
Update from Official PR

TRACKS FROM ALABAMA SHAKES, BREAKING BENJAMIN, DEATH FROM ABOVE 1979, AND THE PRETTY RECKLESS COME TO ROCK BAND 4

Boston, Mass. – October 12, 2015 – Harmonix Music Systems, Inc. today announced that new tracks from Alabama Shakes, Breaking Benjamin, Death From Above 1979 and The Pretty Reckless are headed to the Rock Band™ 4 Music Store of downloadable content for Xbox One and PlayStation®4!

Alabama Shakes makes its Rock Band debut with “Don’t Wanna Fight” from the band’s 2015 record, Sound & Color. Breaking Benjamin returns to Rock Band with its 2015 single, ”Failure,” which reached number one on Billboard’s US Mainstream Rock charts earlier this year. Death From Above 1979 made waves on the Billboard charts last year when it released “Trainwreck 1979” as a single off of its most recent release, the critically-acclaimed The Physical World. “Follow Me Down” is the first track off of The Pretty Reckless’ second LP, 2014’s Going to Hell. All tracks will be available for download on October 13 for $1.99 per track.

DLC Preview video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX2bbLbKudg

Top Bottom