• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Haven't checked the in-game store in a several days, so the new "Your Friends Own" menu header stuck out right away. That's not quite the "Your Songs" option we've been dreaming of, but I'm hopeful something like that is coming. Unless it isn't new, of course, and I simply overlooked it.

This week's DLC is about what I expected, even if I hoped for more outside pre-order songs. At least no one is stuck waiting weeks or months for those tracks.

I noticed a few more songs fixed in the store, so I wasted another chunk of time sifting through the catalog again. Surprised that there's still numerous pricing errors/marked down legacy DLC left up on PSN-- I sadly felt compelled enough to buy a bunch of the discounted stuff just because it hasn't reverted to full price yet and there's nothing new to buy this week.
Four horrendously overplayed Lady Gaga tracks at less than a buck a pop is worth it, right? *shudders*

FyreWulff

I'll gladly pick up the DFA & Alabama Shakes tracks, but I really wish they would have used today to give an update on the export situation. Finish giving me the game I bought before selling me more of it.

A little over 200 songs that were never packaged as normal DLC and 54 that were never available digitally before have to be worked on. I wouldn't worry about it.

Deadstar

Why did Harmonix not include the ability to create set lists in quick play for RB4? If they didn't have the manpower to inlude these features they should have just ported RB3 to the new systems.

Also, apparently there's no easy way to download your tracks. Why didn't they just include a store area filter for "Songs I Own" that way you can download one by one making the process a lot faster.

FyreWulff

Why did Harmonix not include the ability to create set lists in quick play for RB4? If they didn't have the manpower to inlude these features they should have just ported RB3 to the new systems.

Porting RB3 wouldn't have been easier and still incurs full test suites, building, etc.

Also, apparently there's no easy way to download your tracks. Why didn't they just include a store area filter for "Songs I Own" that way you can download one by one making the process a lot faster.

This is because first party won't let them do this.

So is anyone else having an issue where songs are installed but don't appear in the game? I'm having this happen with "Bombtrack" by RATM, as well as a few Queen and QOTSA songs.

Are we really sure about that? I heard that first party won't let them add a 'download all' button, but how could they possibly bar filtering by what you already own?
It could have to do with first parties not letting Harmonix have code that would allow them to search your purchases. I imagine its the same hang-up as not letting you download everything with one button

I'm talking about having a filter IN rock band that would only show you songs you own, not in the PSN store or xbox store. They have to get approval from 1st party to do that?
It would involve the game searching your purchase history which I imagine the issue that the first parties have. They are fine with specific item checks though

evanmisha

It could have to do with first parties not letting Harmonix have code that would allow them to search your purchases. I imagine its the same hang-up as not letting you download everything with one button

It would involve the game searching your purchase history which I imagine the issue that the first parties have. They are fine with specific item checks though

Okay yeah, that makes sense.

I'm talking about having a filter IN rock band that would only show you songs you own, not in the PSN store or xbox store. They have to get approval from 1st party to do that?

The in game store doesn't even load up for me 95% of the time. The store is a mess. I shouldn't be surprised because the store on PS3 also rarely worked.

Downloading all my songs from the PS Store on pc was not fun but at least it was reliable.

Ah, sucks to see the new DLC not really being new. Here's hoping for next week.

Dumb question: the transition screens in Rock Band 4 keep mentioning that you can have three singers at once. How are you supposed to plug in three microphones?

Ah, sucks to see the new DLC not really being new. Here's hoping for next week.

Dumb question: the transition screens in Rock Band 4 keep mentioning that you can have three singers at once. How are you supposed to plug in three microphones?

USB hub

Also, I just saw this disturbing Twitter exchange:

‏ Zack Payne @ztpayne7 25m25 minutes ago
@MrPope @RockBand so does this mean don't stop believing won't be available on rb4 at all or just not to buy? Just looking for info

Eric Pope ‏@MrPope 22m22 minutes ago
@ztpayne7 @RockBand that particular song's license expired, which means it will not be available, and is why it's also not on 360/ps3

Zack Payne ‏@ztpayne7 18m18 minutes ago
@MrPope @RockBand okay. So it's playable in rock band 3 if it was already purchased, but will not be playable in rb4 anytime soon?

Eric Pope ‏@MrPope 15m15 minutes ago
@ztpayne7 @RockBand that is correct, my friend. Sorry, but out of our hands as it's up to the bands/labels to re-sign licenses.

This is different from what we've been told up until now. Quite a few tracks I'd be pissed about losing if this is true.

MajorMane

The game has been freezing more and more often after playing through some songs and it's really quite frustrating. I'll play through an entire tour in the career only to have it freeze on the last song and all that progress be lost.

USB hub

Also, I just saw this disturbing Twitter exchange:

This is different from what we've been told up until now. Quite a few tracks I'd be pissed about losing if this is true.

Ugh, well that sucks for those losing out on songs. As for a USB hub, has anyone tried this to see if it works? I doubt I'll need 3 microphones anytime soon but its worth looking into.

This is REALLY not okay.

Got to agree. If Harmonix were still unsure about being able to get some delisted DLC back for people who previously bought it, it may have been better to have not said you could re-download the DLC at some point if you already own it months before release. With all of the hardware, DLC and teething issues they've had with this game, this doesn't exactly encourage people to shell out for what's already a fairly pricey venture.

Ok, I've been out for the past week or so. I'm ready to get into the new game, but can someone clarify a few tiny questions, since this export stuff is a little confusing.

I owned RB1, RB2, LRB (Lego Rock Band), RBB (Rock Band Blitz) RB3 & now RB4. I exported the RB1, 2, LRB & RBB when that was a thing on the old generations and have all those songs playable in RB3 for the last few years. All I have to do is wait until the disc export stuff is unlocked and then I should just be able to go onto the RBStore and download them on my X1 correct?

Good, so many good delisted shit I've bought that I still want to play. I mean, just check out this list of stuff I bought that's been delisted...

All Spinal Tap Tracks
Locksley Pack
Electric Six Pack
Blood Sugar Sex Magic Album
Snoop's Upside Ya Head - Snoop Dogg
Don’t Stop - Fleetwood Mac
World Turning - Fleetwood Mac
They Say - Scars On Broadway
Toxicity - System of a Down
B.Y.O.B - System of a Down
Fake Friends - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine - Pt 1 - James Brown
Panic Switch - Silversun Pickups
Sort Of - Silversun Pickups
Dreaming Of Love - Lights Resolve
Ride The Lightning - Metallica
Justice For All - Metallica
Pick Me Up - Dinosaur Jr
The Wagon - Dinosaur Jr
Don't Stop Believing - Journey

Got a severely worded noise complaint email from my apartment building's president regarding excessive noise Friday night when I played with three friends. They claimed there were reports that I had "a out of control (sic) party with a full band playing with drums".

I guess four people sound like a full party? Either way, I think I'm going to apologize to the neighbors, but I'm also considering returning the game. Womp :(

What are the chances I can buy the full band kit + the cymbols several months from now at MSRP?

I don't have the money ATM to invest into another RB game (I need all new instruments) but I really wanna play it.

Ok, I've been out for the past week or so. I'm ready to get into the new game, but can someone clarify a few tiny questions, since this export stuff is a little confusing.

I owned RB1, RB2, LRB (Lego Rock Band), RBB (Rock Band Blitz) RB3 & now RB4. I exported the RB1, 2, LRB & RBB when that was a thing on the old generations and have all those songs playable in RB3 for the last few years. All I have to do is wait until the disc export stuff is unlocked and then I should just be able to go onto the RBStore and download them on my X1 correct?

Yes.

Good, so many good delisted shit I've bought that I still want to play. I mean, just check out this list of stuff I bought that's been delisted...

All Spinal Tap Tracks
Locksley Pack
Electric Six Pack
Blood Sugar Sex Magic Album
Snoop's Upside Ya Head - Snoop Dogg
Don’t Stop - Fleetwood Mac
World Turning - Fleetwood Mac
They Say - Scars On Broadway
Toxicity - System of a Down
B.Y.O.B - System of a Down
Fake Friends - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine - Pt 1 - James Brown
Panic Switch - Silversun Pickups
Sort Of - Silversun Pickups
Dreaming Of Love - Lights Resolve
Ride The Lightning - Metallica
Justice For All - Metallica
Pick Me Up - Dinosaur Jr
The Wagon - Dinosaur Jr
Don't Stop Believing - Journey

I was able to download Gay Bar somehow.

ascii42

What's the purpose of the cymbals? Do the notes change on the screen or you just hit the color cymbal instead of the one on the drum kit?
When you are supposed to hit the cymbal instead of the drum pad, they display a round note instead of the usual rectangle.
tyvXcnol.jpg

FyreWulff

What's the purpose of the cymbals? Do the notes change on the screen or you just hit the color cymbal instead of the one on the drum kit?

cymbal hits in songs get mapped to cymbals. toms and snare stay on the pads. cymbals are pointy, cymbal shaped notes.

it's basically a little more realism mode. very fun once you get the hang of it and available on all difficulties.

In RB3, instead of having 4 different notes to hit with the basic set, adding symbols would add 7 different notes. Circle notes were cymbol hits, squares were toms & snare.

He still never directly says "You WILL be able to, at some point, re-download your delisted songs."

I would like Harmonix to say that.

Yea I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy about it.

C'mon, people, they've actually said it numerous times in the past, this tweet just happened to make us question it.

Here's a previous example:

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/651910909212930048

"If you previously purchased it, you will always own it and it will be available in RB4 soon."

farisr

Wait, what? There's no create set list ability anymore? I haven't been keeping up with everything, and get my bandset this week (thanks to inventory problems). That is extremely disappointing. And here I thought they'd finally give us the ability to edit our setlists after they've been made, but instead they go a step back. Geez.

Now I'm actually reconsidering the purchase.

When you are supposed to hit the cymbal instead of the drum pad, they display a round note instead of the usual rectangle.

cymbal hits in songs get mapped to cymbals. toms and snare stay on the pads. cymbals are pointy, cymbal shaped notes.

it's basically a little more realism mode. very fun once you get the hang of it and available on all difficulties.

In RB3, instead of having 4 different notes to hit with the basic set, adding symbols would add 7 different notes. Circle notes were cymbol hits, squares were toms & snare.
Oh wow that's awesome I didn't know that they did that. I always had the standard drum kit and never bothered with the cymbals. Might look into it this time around.

Top Bottom