• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sooooo, I'm really terrible at drums, mostly because of the kick drum. Any tips for a beginnner?

Keep the pedal held down after you press it and only lift up to bring it down again.
Don't press with your foot and ankle. Bounce your whole lower leg straight up and down.
Sit at a height where your thigh is basically parallel with the floor.

Unfortunately it's also much harder to use the stock RB pedal than a real one. I use something like this.
http://postimage.org/
With multiple hits in quick succession on that the rebound of the beater is doing most of the work for you.

Sooooo, I'm really terrible at drums, mostly because of the kick drum. Any tips for a beginnner?

try a song in no fail mode, and just focus on playing the kick drum part without playing anything else. You'll find (for the most part) that the pattern is consistent. Then try to "automate" the movement of your leg to the beat; in other words, forget about what your leg is doing and just start playing the colored gem part.

It takes a bit of practice, but you'll get there.

Play a ton of easy songs on easy and work your way up!
I went from making a fool out of myself on Lego Rock Band's Super Easy Mode on Drums to playing on Expert Pro Drums! It just takes practice! :)

Speaking of which, I'd love for Lego Rock Band's Auto Kick feature to come back. It's awesome for accessibility.

I wonder if Bass Boost will get added at some point? It had better! I miss elevating the bass track above everything else.

really hoping this makes it back in, along with 5.1. This game just sounds so flat compared to the others. Having the separation between tracks really made it sound awesome. And of course, the dedicated sub channel.

zulux21

convince someone that the bass drum is the best thing ever and push it off to the side and have them just sit there pressing it.

we actually did this in rock band 1 to get through the endless set list as i think it was green grass and high tides is just a marathon on the bass drum lol.

convince someone that the bass drum is the best thing ever and push it off to the side and have them just sit there pressing it.

we actually did this in rock band 1 to get through the endless set list as i think it was green grass and high tides is just a marathon on the bass drum lol.

That's actually really smart.

Don't play heel down, your knee should be lifting your foot, angle your ankle and only keep the ball of your foot on the pedal, keep it depressed until you need to raise for another hit. Don't waste your time on anything but hard, you're gonna get your ass handed to you but that's ok, turn on no fail and train your limbs to work independently, that's the biggest thing, you simply aren't challenged enough on the lower difficulties so stay on hard, play only up to tier 3 difficulty and for tier 0-1 play on expert, it'll come.

MattyG

Banned
The drum trainers in previous RBs were awesome, hopefully this game has it too
I can't find any training, sadly.

Keep the pedal held down after you press it and only lift up to bring it down again.
Don't press with your foot and ankle. Bounce your whole lower leg straight up and down.
Sit at a height where your thigh is basically parallel with the floor.

Unfortunately it's also much harder to use the stock RB pedal than a real one. I use something like this.
With multiple hits in quick succession on that the rebound of the beater is doing most of the work for you.

Don't play heel down, your knee should be lifting your foot, angle your ankle and only keep the ball of your foot on the pedal, keep it depressed until you need to raise for another hit. Don't waste your time on anything but hard, you're gonna get your ass handed to you but that's ok, turn on no fail and train your limbs to work independently, that's the biggest thing, you simply aren't challenged enough on the lower difficulties so stay on hard, play only up to tier 3 difficulty and for tier 0-1 play on expert, it'll come.
Okay. I've been trying the "keep the pedal down and don't keep your heel down thing". I don't have it quite yet, but I'm hoping I can make some progress tomorrow. It's a little tough to wrap my head around actually controlling my limbs like that, but I'll get it eventually. Thanks!

Yes, inexplicably, Harmonix shipped Rock Band 4 without any kind of training/practice mode.

But hey, they beat Guitar Hero to market!

There are far too many apologists in this thread, I don't care what kind of budget you're working with, just do it right, or wait until you can. That said, the gameplay on its own is still as great as it ever was and I'm glad I've got it in my hands now, although it's super frustrating to have this shell of a game and sit around waiting for improvements. At the very least they should have come up with a way to migrate tracks over more efficiently. I've almost spent as much time downloading songs as I have playing the actual game (I have a ridiculous amount of DLC, I think just over 2K)

Hardware is the best it's ever been, I think I like the rebound play on the drum pads more than my old ekit, however the lack of positionable pads really sucks, those cymbals can't come soon enough, regular drums is a hollow experience by comparison

zulux21

Am I the only person that used practice mode once when I first got a RB game and never touched it again?

I don't think I ever used practice mode. I would just continue to play the song when it randomly came up and got better at it until I could beat it and trusted on my friends to save me during that :p

There are far too many apologists in this thread, I don't care what kind of budget you're working with, just do it right, or wait until you can. That said, the gameplay on its own is still as great as it ever was and I'm glad I've got it in my hands now, although it's super frustrating to have this shell of a game and sit around waiting for improvements. At the very least they should have come up with a way to migrate tracks over more efficiently. I've almost spent as much time downloading songs as I have playing the actual game (I have a ridiculous amount of DLC, I think just over 2K)

Hardware is the best it's ever been, I think I like the rebound play on the drum pads more than my old ekit, however the lack of positionable pads really sucks, those cymbals can't come soon enough, regular drums is a hollow experience by comparison

The core of the game works. And that's the important part to a lot of people. Like, I can understand that people are upset that this is missing, or that is missing, but I bought this to play my songs on next gen platforms, and I can. So I'm not upset at any of this. And I understand how hard software development is, so I know that "just make Rock Band 3 remastered" isn't a request that would have made development easier than it was.

MattyG

Banned
This is actually my first RB game (I was always a GH guy), but I'm loving it. It does feel a bit barebones in terms of features, but I rarely care about anything beyond just playing songs in these kinds of games.

I also adore the idea of it being a platform instead of a single game. When I last played a rhythm game, it was on PS2 so there was no DLC. Now I'm scrolling through thousands of songs and building a hugh wishlist of things I'd like to play. I actually just bought the Fall Out Boy song pack and Feel Good Inc. I'm gonna grab a few more songs in a couple of days when I've gone through most of the core tracks.

vg260

Anybody have one of the 360 wooden replica guitars ?

The fret buttons are easily the best of any guitar controller, but the strum bar is too stiff.

I'm wondering how the new strat buttons compare. I'm thinking about selling a wooden one to get a new strat instead.

zulux21

There are far too many apologists in this thread, I don't care what kind of budget you're working with, just do it right, or wait until you can.

and what do you do when it isn't an option?

they are staking a lot on this and likely poured most of their money into it, to the point where they needed to get some money back to continue to fund it.

they don't have a huge backer like EA this time, instead they have a company that traditionally hasn't funded video games.

would have it been better if they held back release until they got it right and then never actually was able to release it because they ran out of money and had to go out of business?

way to many people around here forget harmonex has less funding than ever for stuff like this now that they don't have a big backer.

that all being said there are a number of little things that should have been there from day 1 such as setlists or band stand ins, as the code is clearly mostly there for those things, it should not have been hard to have someone finish those up before launch or as a day 1 patch.

it would also be nice if they did those little things quicker, as bigger updates are nice, but decemeber is so far away for the little things that could be done in a few days and pushed well before decemeber.

that all being said it's amazing that they got so much of the dlc avalible at launch (that was not a little thing and required a lot of time as even if you have them previously done just copying them over bit by bit over and over had to take forever and be very tedious). Man I wonder how this thread would be if they did what i originally expected and instead of having most of the dlc available day one instead released like 25 old tracks and 3-5 new tracks each week until they got the old library back.

Overall I am neither happy nor sad with rock band 4 as it currently is. Parts of it have gone beyond my exceptions, other parts missed my expectations so far that they cancel out the other parts. Basically it feels like an early access title, that ideally will be something that surpasses rock band 3 with in a years time. The thing is I am not really sure how they will be able to get people to jump on the rock band train a year from now if this early access game turns them away as unlike the steam ones it's not like this one will get a full release later. Either way it will be interesting to see how this does in the long term. All we know right now is it ended up in 10th place over in EU which... at least it charted. Ideally people buy enough DLC to keep the train rolling for a while. I know I will do my part and give like $10 a month on average (more if I get some imagine dragons CDs or more linkin park :p)

Well, Rock Band has currently fucked up my Xbox One in a real way.

I queued some DLC to download from the music store, not a big thing. Game gets hung up, crashes, and i need to power down the system.

Now, i have about 30 songs in queue, but everytime i boot up my console, only one song will download, the next song gets hung-up, and i have to shut my system down in order for a song to download again. Also, cant cancel any downloads, cant access tbe manage game function, and i cant boot the game.

What a merry time!

So do I or do I not need a RB1 PS3 disc if I buy the $5 export key? The OP says I don't, store page says I do.

You do if you plan on playing the songs in Rock Band 2 or 3 (that's why the store says it). You don't if you plan on playing the songs in Rock Band 4.

and what do you do when it isn't an option?

they are staking a lot on this and likely poured most of their money into it, to the point where they needed to get some money back to continue to fund it.

they don't have a huge backer like EA this time, instead they have a company that traditionally hasn't funded video games.

would have it been better if they held back release until they got it right and then never actually was able to release it because they ran out of money and had to go out of business?

way to many people around here forget harmonex has less funding than ever for stuff like this now that they don't have a big backer.

that all being said there are a number of little things that should have been there from day 1 such as setlists or band stand ins, as the code is clearly mostly there for those things, it should not have been hard to have someone finish those up before launch or as a day 1 patch.

it would also be nice if they did those little things quicker, as bigger updates are nice, but decemeber is so far away for the little things that could be done in a few days and pushed well before decemeber.

that all being said it's amazing that they got so much of the dlc avalible at launch (that was not a little thing and required a lot of time as even if you have them previously done just copying them over bit by bit over and over had to take forever and be very tedious). Man I wonder how this thread would be if they did what i originally expected and instead of having most of the dlc available day one instead released like 25 old tracks and 3-5 new tracks each week until they got the old library back.

Overall I am neither happy nor sad with rock band 4 as it currently is. Parts of it have gone beyond my exceptions, other parts missed my expectations so far that they cancel out the other parts. Basically it feels like an early access title, that ideally will be something that surpasses rock band 3 with in a years time. The thing is I am not really sure how they will be able to get people to jump on the rock band train a year from now if this early access game turns them away as unlike the steam ones it's not like this one will get a full release later. Either way it will be interesting to see how this does in the long term. All we know right now is it ended up in 10th place over in EU which... at least it charted. Ideally people buy enough DLC to keep the train rolling for a while. I know I will do my part and give like $10 a month on average (more if I get some imagine dragons CDs or more linkin park :p)

It's cute that you typed all that up, I'll tell you what you do though, you don't release until you have adequate funding like everything else in this world.

All I see here is more excuses for a half asses product that a lot of people dumped $250 bucks into, obviously more after years of the "platform" that existed before. You know how we used to settle arguments like this? A good ol score duel, so I'll be awaiting you invite...wait we can't daaaaamn

Kolma

So what if the game launched now and we have a ton of updates in December.

The early adopters (that's us)
Are generally in it for the gameplay.
Most people that aren't die hard Rock Band fans probably won't be getting it till the holidays anyways where TADA the update will be out by then.

It's cute that you typed all that up, I'll tell you what you do though, you don't release until you have adequate funding like everything else in this world.

Or you make sure to tell people what is and isn't in the game, and you release a fully functioning product and work on making it better as time goes on.

So what if the game launched now and we have a ton of updates in December.

The early adopters (that's us)
Are generally in it for the gameplay.
Most people that aren't die hard Rock Band fans probably won't be getting it till the holidays anyways where TADA the update will be out by then.

Really? Who's buying this game at the holiday? 17 year old kids that played when they were 12 for xmas? I'm really confused, we're all adults at this point, it's been literally 7 years since RB dropped, we all have jobs.

Really? Who's buying this game at the holiday? 17 year old kids that played when they were 12 for xmas? I'm really confused, we're all adults at this point, it's been literally 7 years since RB dropped, we all have jobs.

I imagine Harmonix is hoping to rope in at least some new fans with this. It's why they spent money on a soundtrack with recognizable hits, rather than ensuring every last feature from RB3 made it back.

Kolma

I don't think you understand how the holidays work with kids do you... RB isn't just for adults.. There are new fans to be made.

I don't think you understand how the holidays work with kids do you... RB isn't just for adults.. There are new fans to be made.

With what advertising? All this positive word of mouth I'm spewing?

I'll play the "I know how software development works" card and tell you I know how much money broke ass game dev company and a broke ass peripheral company have, and I'll tell you they don't have anything to market this game effectively

Yes, inexplicably, Harmonix shipped Rock Band 4 without any kind of training/practice mode.

But hey, they beat Guitar Hero to market!
How in the hell? It was already built for the previous games. Being able to practice all kinds of different beats has made me so much better at RB drums

Kolma

How in the hell? It was already built for the previous games. Being able to practice all kinds of different beats has made me so much better at RB drums

They didn't own a bunch of the coding, so RB4 had to be rebuilt from scratch. Harmonix also has basically no money after buying Rock Band properties during RB3 days. Not to mention Mad Catz isn't do much other than distribution and manufacturing.

This is basically an indie game.

They didn't own a bunch of the coding, so RB4 had to be rebuilt from scratch. Harmonix also has basically no money after buying Rock Band properties during RB3 days. Not to mention Mad Catz isn't do much other than distribution and manufacturing.

This is basically an indie game.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the didn't own the code, but porting a feature from Rock Band 3 to Rock Band 4 would not have been as easy as copy and paste, which some people seem to think it would be. They can have the code right there, and they'd probably still need to rewrite it because of either the engine change or the platform change.

Edit: Also in things that are underrated about Rock Band 4, the fact that I would think that every feature needed to be tested against every song. So shows have to tested against every single song they're porting over. As does quickplay. And more than likely on every difficulty on every instrument, and as a full band, and possibly on every combination of instruments up to a full band, plus with and without harmonies, plus with old or new drum fills, plus with old or new guitar solos. God damn, that would have been a lot of testing.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the didn't own the code, but porting a feature from Rock Band 3 to Rock Band 4 would not have been as easy as copy and paste, which some people seem to think it would be. They can have the code right there, and they'd probably still need to rewrite it because of either the engine change or the platform change.

How does this differ from porting the code from Xbox 360 to PS3 exactly? Oh wait it's easier because it's now all x86

How does this differ from porting the code from Xbox 360 to PS3 exactly? Oh wait it's easier because it's now all x86

X86 is machine language. They're not coding in machine language. The compiler is what would deal with that. Consoles being X86 helps PC to console ports, not last gen to current gen ports.

Oh, and by the way, both the 360 and the PS3 were PowerPC. The machine language wasn't the reason porting between those two consoles was hard. The reason porting was hard between the two was because the 360 effectively had 3 homogeneous cores, and the PS3 had one powerful PowerPC core and seven smaller cores that were only really effective at a certain type of computations. And the reason it's easier now between XB1 and PS4 is because the two consoles have basically the same CPU.

Edit: And the reason coding on between the PS3/360 and the PS4/XB1 would be different is because the libraries would be different. Not necessarily the underlying machine language.

X86 is machine language. They're not coding in machine language. The compiler is what would deal with that. Consoles being X86 helps PC to console ports, not last gen to current gen ports.

Oh, and by the way, both the 360 and the PS3 were PowerPC. The machine language wasn't the reason porting between those two consoles was hard. The reason porting was hard between the two was because the 360 effectively had 3 homogeneous cores, and the PS3 had one powerful PowerPC core and seven smaller cores that were only really effective at a certain type of computations. And the reason it's easier now is because the two consoles have basically the same CPU.

Edit: And the reason coding on between the PS3/360 and the PS4/XB1 would be different is because the libraries would be different. Not necessarily the underlying machine language.

The question is then, why would they not build from x86 and port to PS4/bone? I have the answer, it's because they do what they've always done, hire their friends instead of actual employees who know how to code

Also I'm not saying that it's as simple to code from 360 to xbone, I'm saying if you are making a ps4/bone game it's much easier to port than it was from 360/PS3.

Kolma

So before this turns into a war and we lose the OT

How's everyone been enjoying that new DLC

'Jane' I think it was called?

So before this turns into a war and we lose the OT

How's everyone been enjoying that new DLC

'Jane' I think it was called?

I've got the 30 pre-order tracks and bought four of the first week's DLC tracks. I didn't purchase one called Jane. Not one of them turned out to be Jane.

Fuck this game.

Kiko

I have to say that, despite the issues from which most do not affect me since I am totally new to the series, I really enjoy it. Much more than I actually expected to be honest.

I have no benchmark to the old games, nor a library. Most of the issues these days are related to either missing features or missing stuff you paid for in the past.

I guess for a complete newbie like me, it is not that much of a problem because we are missing the comparison to the old stuff. They probably thought that way, thinking they can get a lot more new people while losing some of the old hardcore fans as a trade-off?

I just hope there will be a steady stream of new songs, because the moment they drop this, the game would die for me.

Suspicious Minds has to be one of the most boring vocal songs ever. I really hope they got a few other Elvis songs because this is just a waste of a song for me.

fun on drums?

Kolma

I've got the 30 pre-order tracks and bought four of the first week's DLC tracks. I didn't purchase one called Jane. Not one of them turned out to be Jane.

Fuck this game.

When Jane jumps on everyone's except Xbone except yours
giphy.gif

Suspicious Minds has to be one of the most boring vocal songs ever. I really hope they got a few other Elvis songs because this is just a waste of a song for me.

fun on drums?

I haven't even touched this song... I have zero interest in it, so many better Elvis tracks but they are probably saving the good ones for DLC (That or couldn't afford licensing)

Anyway probably just mad because my Legacy Adapter is coming on Wednesday and I've only had the option of vocals with slight delay since release..

Canadian

Is it possible to listen to the audio through the guitar on xbox?

I'm using a monitor and don't have speakers so being able to plug in headphones would be really useful.

FyreWulff

Am I the only person that used practice mode once when I first got a RB game and never touched it again?

i used it twice. ever since no fail has been a thing, it made practice mode obsolete for me.

the only reason i even attempted to use it in RB3 was because the keys practice mode had achievements/goals tied to it, and i got so tired of repeating pro keys segments that i just gave up and went back to playing the songs normally.

CloudWolf

I haven't even touched this song... I have zero interest in it, so many better Elvis tracks but they are probably saving the good ones for DLC (That or couldn't afford licensing)
Or the masters aren't available. Suspicious Minds is a relatively 'new' Elvis song.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
EU legacy DLC is slowly getting updated again, now under the ROCK BAND 3 (HMX) header. Lol this is so confusing...

Top Bottom