• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

I've been thinking about getting the game and guitar. How IS the guitar? I have always hated the strum bar in the Strats as it feels way too mushy to me. Hence why I always played RB with my GH 3 controller. However as I am moving from 360 to PS4, I'll need a new set of stuff. So, I'm wondering if I would be better off getting a PS3 GH controller, or springing for the new Mad Catz one.

I've been thinking about getting the game and guitar. How IS the guitar? I have always hated the strum bar in the Strats as it feels way too mushy to me. Hence why I always played RB with my GH 3 controller. However as I am moving from 360 to PS4, I'll need a new set of stuff. So, I'm wondering if I would be better off getting a PS3 GH controller, or springing for the new Mad Catz one.
If you hate the mushiness, you'd be better off with an older guitar. New guitar is mashed potatoes.

Neil_J_UK

Can you elaborate please? How are the buttons compared to the last one?
Is the bar better or worse if you liked the old one?

My opinion:

I HATED the RB1 guitar with a passion. Buttons felt way too big and cheap. Hated the mushy strum bar. Never tried the RB2/3 guitars. The GH:WT was my favourite guitar, and I went as far as buying a second hand one on ebay before release to use. The seller sent me the wrong guitar, so I returned it and decided to just try the RB4 strat.

I'm very pleasantly surprised. I don't know what it is and I'm not sure if/how it's changed from the RB1 guitar, but I actually like the softer strum bar now and I would go as far as saying I prefer it over the clicky version. The buttons feel slightly smaller and better made than RB1, definitely an improvement, but I still do prefer the GH buttons as I find it easier to move between quick HOPO's with them.

If the RB4 and GHWT guitars could have a baby, that would be awesome.

vg260

My opinion:

I HATED the RB1 guitar with a passion. Buttons felt way too big and cheap. Hated the mushy strum bar. Never tried the RB2/3 guitars. The GH:WT was my favourite guitar, and I went as far as buying a second hand one on ebay before release to use. The seller sent me the wrong guitar, so I returned it and decided to just try the RB4 strat.

I'm very pleasantly surprised. I don't know what it is and I'm not sure if/how it's changed from the RB1 guitar, but I actually like the softer strum bar now and I would go as far as saying I prefer it over the clicky version. The buttons feel slightly smaller and better made than RB1, definitely an improvement, but I still do prefer the GH buttons as I find it easier to move between quick HOPO's with them.

If the RB4 and GHWT guitars could have a baby, that would be awesome.

Cool thank you..

It's too bad more people couldn't try the wooden guitar as those buttons are magical. I was hoping they would copy those, because they blow everything else away. They're perfect. Just not sure if it's worth keeping because of the huge size and really stiff strum bar. I can trade one of them back in to Amazon and get back what I paid for it.

Any takes on the buttons from others on the buttons are welcome too as I'm trying to get some more feedback to decide.

sugarless

Just got this for PS4, jumped right on the song store and bought a David Bowie track pack. It took my money but nothing showed up in the game, I only have the disc tracks when I sort the list various ways. Am I doing something wrong here? I've only gone into quick play, I don't need to do any kind of story progression to play download tracks do I?

Just got this for PS4, jumped right on the song store and bought a David Bowie track pack. It took my money but nothing showed up in the game, I only have the disc tracks when I sort the list various ways. Am I doing something wrong here? I've only gone into quick play, I don't need to do any kind of story progression to play download tracks do I?

The songs have to finish downloading first of all. After that the game should search for downloaded songs when you enter quickplay. If it doesn't, you can choose to Rebuild Song Cache in the options menu.

djblue89

I just got the game on PS4 and I'm coming from the 360, what is the best way to get more tracks for the best value possible? Imports?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Woooh, my MPA came today! Can't wait to calibrate my Yamaha kit :-|

FyreWulff

We don't know how exactly the export will work yet, do we? Could be a waste of money if we need the code on the manual for example.

The CEO said it requires owning RB3 via disc or GonD. It's unlikely the manual codes will be used since GonD copies won't have one, and Mad Catz copies of RB3 don't have a code either.

He also said selling the disc sells your right to export it, which wouldn't be the case if you could sell the disc but keep the manual code.

My current theory is that it will be styled like RB1 where you have to go load up RB3 itself to do the export*. I'd wait since if this is the case, you're likely to be able to just borrow someone's RB3 disc just like RB1, pay the fee for the export, and be good to go.

* Originally. The web marketplace was a post RB1 thing for both MS and Sony, so Harmonix just never requested they hide the RB1 export key, which is why you can buy it without owning RB1.

sugarless

The songs have to finish downloading first of all. After that the game should search for downloaded songs when you enter quickplay. If it doesn't, you can choose to Rebuild Song Cache in the options menu.

I see. I didn't see them show up in the downloads list at all. I did try rebuilding cache. I also can't find where to trigger my pending downloads... I'll have another look. Thanks for the advice.

Now that I found the pack on the store webpage, it says only playable on PS3. Does this mean that the RB4 PS4 interface allows me to see songs and let me buy them even though they're not playable, cos that really sucks. Hope this pack is updated soon...

sasliquid

Couple of questions before I pick up the game especially cod the UK ps4 version hasn't got good reviews on Amazon

1. How is the importing especially in the UK? I looked on the basic psn the other day and couldn't find everything I'd bought and only some of what I found came up as free. I.e. My Steely Dan stuff was listed as free but Talking Heads had a price

2. long shot but are the instruments backwards compatible? Cos I still got Beatles Rock band lying around but not the instruments

FyreWulff

Couple of questions before I pick up the game especially cod the UK ps4 version hasn't got good reviews on Amazon

1. How is the importing especially in the UK? I looked on the basic psn the other day and couldn't find everything I'd bought and only some of what I found came up as free. I.e. My Steely Dan stuff was listed as free but Talking Heads had a price

2. long shot but are the instruments backwards compatible? Cos I still got Beatles Rock band lying around but not the instruments

1. they're working on fixing the pricing issues for owners of content. do not re-buy anything you already own.

2. nope

Yaari

The legacy DLC compatibility is a mixed bag. But overall SCEE users seem to be the worse off. That said, I would not let it stop me. It's all going to be there but it takes time.

And no you can't use the instruments on previous gen consoles. I really hope that RB4 will someday do something with the Beatles again. Sadly I missed that game entirely.

Edit: beat me to it

Cathcart

Pro Drums are in the game. You can use the old cymbals with the new kit.

OK, thanks. Should I see pro as an option if I'm using GH World Tour drums or are they not compatible? I haven't seen it on any song so far. Not a big deal, I drum on medium lol. But just curious.

evanmisha

I see. I didn't see them show up in the downloads list at all. I did try rebuilding cache. I also can't find where to trigger my pending downloads... I'll have another look. Thanks for the advice.

Now that I found the pack on the store webpage, it says only playable on PS3. Does this mean that the RB4 PS4 interface allows me to see songs and let me buy them even though they're not playable, cos that really sucks. Hope this pack is updated soon...

Find the individual songs on the webstore. In-game pack purchases should tag the individual songs as purchased (unlike grandfathered pack purchases which are still being ironed out in that regard) so it's possible that while the pack download is still a wip, the song downloads are available. YMMV

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Some Blitz songs showing up on EU PSN now, they still want money for them though :[

jboss

Neo Member
Heads up - It looks like Rock Band Blitz song entitlements are updated on US XB1. I went through the list of songs from Blitz and was able to download them all for free.

I'm not sure of you need to have launched Blitz and downloaded the soundtrack, I know I did some time ago.

Going to check and see if any other track pack entitlements are working...

OK, thanks. Should I see pro as an option if I'm using GH World Tour drums or are they not compatible? I haven't seen it on any song so far. Not a big deal, I drum on medium lol. But just curious.

Try bumping the difficulty up to Hard with No Fail option turned on. To me, the jump in difficulty isn't that bad, and it will really take the place of a practice mode. I've seen my drumming improve drastically from playing exclusively on Medium in previous Rock Band titles.

I managed to snag an order for the mic yesterday, but today these links are dead. Even when trying to get to the item page from my order, it comes up 404. Who knows if my order will even be honored, but it's still on my account for now.

Hopefully the cymbals will be available sooner rather than later. Have a weird feeling we'll get screwed in Europe though :(

Heads up - It looks like Rock Band Blitz song entitlements are updated on US XB1. I went through the list of songs from Blitz and was able to download them all for free.

I was able to queue up A Little Less Sixteen Candles, Always, and Cult of Personality. I'm having trouble with my Xbone right now, though, so I'll worry about the rest another time.

I never owned Blitz. Don't have access to a 360. Guess I'll wait and see if anyone who bought the game but hasn't launched it will have access to the songs.

For those wondering, if you get an export code from EA from Green Day Rock Band on PS3, exports from the disc still work. It was a nice $10 consolation prize at the very least.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I was also able to get my Blitz songs for Xbox. I haven't played it it a long time and definitely not since 4 has come out, if that matters. (I know some other people were able to get them on PS4 by launching Blitz.)

You were able to get one recently?

They gave me one by mistake when I was looking for a Rock Band 2 export code. Grabbed a copy out of Gamestop for super cheap and am going to return it. That game still had the manual, so I'll throw the code in this post, most likely been used though.

LFAR-7RB6-F6C3

Cathcart

Try bumping the difficulty up to Hard with No Fail option turned on. To me, the jump in difficulty isn't that bad, and it will really take the place of a practice mode. I've seen my drumming improve drastically from playing exclusively on Medium in previous Rock Band titles.

Thanks. I wasn't really interested in getting better at drums, I was just curious because I never see the option for Pro so I was wondering if it's because my drums (GH World Tour) aren't supported.

Top Bottom