• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Oh, hey, Blitz tracks work. Shame that they don't have a little B next to the songs like the RB4 tracks have a 4 next to them, but other than that it's all good.

Still don't like how only a few of my tracks are showing up in the Add Ons section though. Got nearly 500 in the game itself, a bunch more to get pre-export, and only 100 are in the add-ons area. I mean, it's not the end of the world, but it'd be great to keep track of which songs haven't been installed for whatever reason, like some of the Queen stuff that I missed.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Regarding the sound, the music has always -- and I repeat ALWAYS -- been in stereo. It's never been mixed in surround sound or anything like that. It's incorrect to say that "Rock Band 2 and Rock Band 3" have been in surround sound, because that's not actually true. The audio for the music is stereo, period; the audio for ambient sounds (crowds) and menu sounds in some cases may be set for 5.1. But the main game audio has always been stereo. Source: a conversation with the audio leads on Rock Band 4 who were also the audio folks on every Harmonix game dating back to Frequency. :)

nictron

Regarding the sound, the music has always -- and I repeat ALWAYS -- been in stereo. It's never been mixed in surround sound or anything like that. It's incorrect to say that "Rock Band 2 and Rock Band 3" have been in surround sound, because that's not actually true. The audio for the music is stereo, period; the audio for ambient sounds (crowds) and menu sounds in some cases may be set for 5.1. But the main game audio has always been stereo. Source: a conversation with the audio leads on Rock Band 4 who were also the audio folks on every Harmonix game dating back to Frequency. :)

On PS4 with a surround setup what is the best way to set up the sound?

On PS3 RB3 the sound was output as 5.1. On PS4 RB4 the sound is output as stereo. How can I replicate the behavior of the 3 on the 4?

That's all well and good but that doesn't explain why I'm only getting sound, any sound, from the front two speakers during game play. I may have heard some from rear speakers during voting for requests/encodes but I'll have to double check that later.

The sound feels very lifeless in comparison to the previous Rock Band games.

Still don't like how only a few of my tracks are showing up in the Add Ons section though. Got nearly 500 in the game itself, a bunch more to get pre-export, and only 100 are in the add-ons area. I mean, it's not the end of the world, but it'd be great to keep track of which songs haven't been installed for whatever reason, like some of the Queen stuff that I missed.

If you go through the in-game music store, it will mark songs you're entitled to but haven't downloaded as "Purchased."

DarkOneX

Regarding the 5.1 thing I have sound coming out of all 5 speakers + sub while I'm playing so I thought it sounds great and didn't notice it sounding stereo.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Regarding the 5.1 thing I have sound coming out of all 5 speakers + sub while I'm playing so I thought it sounds great and didn't notice it sounding stereo.

I actually want us solve this issue for people, but without having a full understanding of people's audio set ups (their are many variables) and console-level settings, it's tough. Need more info for folks who are having problems. Example: if you plug in your 360 to that same exact setup, with no other variables changed, are you getting different behavior?

I actually want us solve this issue for people, but without having a full understanding of people's audio set ups (their are many variables) and console-level settings, it's tough. Need more info for folks who are having problems. Example: if you plug in your 360 to that same exact setup, with no other variables changed, are you getting different behavior?

Never had any issues with my 360 before I traded it in. I may have been using optical with it though. I may dig out an optical cable just to see if that makes any difference.

I have an Onkyo receiver and Forza is LOUD at a volume setting of 28 (every other game is plus or minus 2 off this volume roughly). I have to crank the volume of RB4 to 40+ to even approach that same level of volume. It's quite jarring.

volgihn

I've been having issues with the drums. I've update the things and it still sometimes drops some notes. The pedal sometimes just straight up does't work and it's extremely annoying. I'm playing on xbox and I have the new dashboard update so that might be the problem.

DarkOneX

Which system? HDMI or optical?

I'm using some cheap Sony HTIB and I have that optical going to the TV then in XB1 I have it set to optical audio. Not sure on my 360 I have that hooked up to a different TV with no sound system.

Thanks Nicholas. I have 5.1 over HDMI set in the X1 OS.

Getting 2.0 sound even though my 2015 Sony A/V receiver is receiving a 5.1 signal.

btw I'm also having a weird issue where my wireless RB4 guitar and wireless controller disconnect after I plug in the RB1 USB mic directly to my X1. No issues if I use the RB1 (360) powered USB hub, though.

nictron

PS4
LPCM Output
HDMI 1.4
Sony STR-DN1050

Volume is low compared to any other app/game. Very little bass/dynamics. I have tried all of the equalizer settings on the receiver and really have to turn the volume up about 10-15 points above other sources.

Southcott

I have been given a Rock Band Greenday Export Key, I'm guessing this needs to be redeemed in the Rock Band Greenday game rather than RB3?

I understand it's 'expired' but apparently people have been having successes using it past the expiry date.

Before I waste my time going to my parents house where the Xbox is and buying a copy of Rock Band Greenday can anyone confirm they've had any success?

Thanks

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I have no idea how to download all the hundreds of songs I owned on Xbox 360. When I click the sections in the "Get More Songs" most of them don't even populate. If I browse everything I'll find songs from albums I bought, but only one or two will show as "purchased", and the rest try to charge me again. And there's no section for just songs that I own.

The calibration numbers I (consistently) get from manual calibration are kind of nonsense (100+ms), and don't feel very good in game. But I know I'm clicking in time with the sounds and the needle.

I have no idea how to download all the hundreds of songs I owned on Xbox 360. When I click the sections in the "Get More Songs" most of them don't even populate. If I browse everything I'll find songs from albums I bought, but only one or two will show as "purchased", and the rest try to charge me again. And there's no section for just songs that I own.

The calibration numbers I (consistently) get from manual calibration are kind of nonsense (100+ms), and don't feel very good in game. But I know I'm clicking in time with the sounds and the needle.

It's a pain, but right now a lot of songs are screwed up. Specifically song bought in packs. Here is what you need to do, and might take you about 20 minutes.

Go to the in-game store and browse by artist. Start at the very beginning.

Anytime you see a song that says purchased, click on it to download. Then carry on.

Anytime you see a song that you know you own, but it still shows $1.99 next to it, click on it anyway. Sometimes just clicking on a song triggers the account to remember that you actually own this. Thus instead of being prompted to buy it in the next screen, you'll just be told you already own this, do you want to download it? Then just hit yes and carry on.

It took me about 15 minutes doing this through the entire library on XB1.

As for calibration in game, I swear I've never been able to use manual calibration and get a good number. Thank god for the auto calibration in the guitars. (I realize that might not help you, but just know that other people have the same problems).

I'd almost recommend taking the manual numbers and then moving them up/down 30-50ms until you find something that seems to fit.

PS4
LPCM Output
HDMI 1.4
Sony STR-DN1050

Volume is low compared to any other app/game. Very little bass/dynamics. I have tried all of the equalizer settings on the receiver and really have to turn the volume up about 10-15 points above other sources.

Similar to what I'm experiencing on XB1, seemingly a lack of amplification. Going to try an optical cable sometime this evening when I get home.

joeposh

I have been given a Rock Band Greenday Export Key, I'm guessing this needs to be redeemed in the Rock Band Greenday game rather than RB3?

I understand it's 'expired' but apparently people have been having successes using it past the expiry date.

Before I waste my time going to my parents house where the Xbox is and buying a copy of Rock Band Greenday can anyone confirm they've had any success?

Thanks

Word is in the last day or so the Xbox export stopped working. It recognizes the code, but has pulled the actual export file from the market. Supposedly still active on PS3.

It's a shame, because I have a code too and wasn't aware that you had to go through GD:RB for it to work. Had been trying on RB3 throughout the past week.

If I switch to my PS3 and run RB3 with exact same setup, I get full glorious 5.1 sound.

My PS4 is set to output Linear PCM, same as my PS3. receiver is set to "direct" mode, which basically means it outputs what it gets in. All other games on PS4 output in surround just fine.

Southcott

Word is in the last day or so the Xbox export stopped working. It recognizes the code, but has pulled the actual export file from the market. Supposedly still active on PS3.

It's a shame, because I have a code too and wasn't aware that you had to go through GD:RB for it to work. Had been trying on RB3 throughout the past week.

Man that's lame.

I'll give it a go none the less. Worth a shot I guess!

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
It's a pain, but right now a lot of songs are screwed up. Specifically song bought in packs. Here is what you need to do, and might take you about 20 minutes.

Go to the in-game store and browse by artist. Start at the very beginning.

Anytime you see a song that says purchased, click on it to download. Then carry on.

Anytime you see a song that you know you own, but it still shows $1.99 next to it, click on it anyway. Sometimes just clicking on a song triggers the account to remember that you actually own this. Thus instead of being prompted to buy it in the next screen, you'll just be told you already own this, do you want to download it? Then just hit yes and carry on.

It took me about 15 minutes doing this through the entire library on XB1.
I did click a bunch of songs I knew that I owned. Didn't seem to help. It did put me one click from spending 2 bucks on it though, so I don't think I'll do that. Too many songs for me to not slip at some point. Also, I don't exactly remember 100% if I purchased every song or not. And I'm not about to try to cross-reference with an endless Xbox 360 download history. Not to mention that I have 2 Xbox Ones where I want to install my content. Harmonix really just needs to do something better than what they did here.
As for calibration in game, I swear I've never been able to use manual calibration and get a good number. Thank god for the auto calibration in the guitars. (I realize that might not help you, but just know that other people have the same problems).

I'd almost recommend taking the manual numbers and then moving them up/down 30-50ms until you find something that seems to fit.
I might spend more time on it later. I mean, the actual lag numbers for my old TV aren't a mystery or anything. My audio system is like 20ms. TV is 30-40ms. Those numbers don't work at all, but then again they haven't been consistent across any of the rock bands. It's kind of mind-boggling really, but I don't think they understand what the number zero means.

Yaari

Man that's lame.

I'll give it a go none the less. Worth a shot I guess!

As joeposh said, on X360 you are out of luck. Skiptastic picked up a RB:GD copy for me to try it, and with 2 different codes, he got the error that details as delisted content.

On PS3 it still works though so I encourage anyone that wants the songs, to get on it. It could end any day now.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Finished the XB360 wireless drum mod (as seen here: http://imgur.com/a/QHtqd ) to get my IONS for XBONE working last night, tested on my 360 on RB3 practice mode and it looks like it works perfectly (including cymbals!). My legacy adapter is being delivered to my house this afternoon, so I'll provide a trip report when I'm able.

So excited to finally crack drums open on RB4.

Also glad to hear NXE DLC is showing up properly, have cross referenced so many lists and have a ton of missing entitlements, lol.

vermadas

I could have sworn that in previous Rock Band games there was an options toggle for whether you wanted Stereo or 5.1. I'd always choose Stereo since 5.1 on my optical connection involved Dolby encoding and would introduce lag. Then I'd just have my receiver do one of those Pro Logic II settings that would "upconvert" the stereo to 5.1 - the latency from that negligible. With HDMI and PCM I wouldn't think 5.1 would cause any lag.

I'll have to pay more attention the next time I play RB4 (XB1). I thought I was getting output from all my speakers but I'm not sure.

Struct09

Finished the XB360 wireless drum mod (as seen here: http://imgur.com/a/QHtqd ) to get my IONS for XBONE working last night, tested on my 360 on RB3 practice mode and it looks like it works perfectly (including cymbals!). My legacy adapter is being delivered to my house this afternoon, so I'll provide a trip report when I'm able.

So excited to finally crack drums open on RB4.

Also glad to hear NXE DLC is showing up properly, have cross referenced so many lists and have a ton of missing entitlements, lol.

I want to see someone do a similar mod for the GH2 Xplorer. I still really want to use that guitar with RB4 and I would sacrifice one of my wireless guitars to make it happen.

I could have sworn that in previous Rock Band games there was an options toggle for whether you wanted Stereo or 5.1. I'd always choose Stereo since 5.1 on my optical connection involved Dolby encoding and would introduce lag. Then I'd just have my receiver do one of those Pro Logic II settings that would "upconvert" the stereo to 5.1 - the latency from that negligible. With HDMI and PCM I wouldn't think 5.1 would cause any lag.

I'll have to pay more attention the next time I play RB4 (XB1). I thought I was getting output from all my speakers but I'm not sure.

I didn't realize it, but I apparently needed to go into my regular xbox audio settings and make sure that it understood that I wanted more than just stereo out.

GC71388

Man.. It sucks that the green day export pack was delisted, I didn't know you had to export it from that game and not rock band 3.. The code actually worked too. Dang it lol

bounchfx

any updates on the game exports? i just saw that blitz was back up, though for some reason each song individual instead of being in a pack. the 'packs' and 'albums' sections still being completely barren. I want my rb1/2/3 songs :(

Man.. It sucks that the green day export pack was delisted, I didn't know you had to export it from that game and not rock band 3.. The code actually worked too. Dang it lol

wait.. is this just for getting it into RB3 or is there a way to get GD:RB songs into RB4? I was just thinking about how shitty it is to lose all of Dookie

GC71388

any updates on the game exports? i just saw that blitz was back up, though for some reason each song individual instead of being in a pack. the 'packs' and 'albums' sections still being completely barren. I want my rb1/2/3 songs :(

wait.. is this just for getting it into RB3 or is there a way to get GD:RB songs into RB4? I was just thinking about how shitty it is to lose all of Dookie

It was a way to get them into rock band 3 but eventually it would have been in 4 when the export packs come available

Yaari

You export GD:RB at all times through the GD:RB disc. But it only works on PS3 at this moment, 360 is done.
And I'm expecting the PS3 export to expire soon too.

Switching to optical didn't do anything. Every other speaker aside from the front two is outputting nothing even though the receiver was lit up with Dolby Digital and also DTS when I tried that output. :\

joeposh

Yup, I wish someone had pointed me toward using GD:RB itself when I complained about the code not going through on RB3 last week... oh well.

DCS

Banned
If I switch to my PS3 and run RB3 with exact same setup, I get full glorious 5.1 sound.

My PS4 is set to output Linear PCM, same as my PS3. receiver is set to "direct" mode, which basically means it outputs what it gets in. All other games on PS4 output in surround just fine.
Same.

_woLf

I read online that the RB3 cymbals work on the RB4 kit, is this true?

If it is, should I still bother getting the RB4 cymbals? Are they supposed to be better?

I think "Birth In Reverse" has a glitched solo. The first 5 fret sweep has an orange hammer-on that doesn't register about 90% of the time no matter how accurate I am. Decided to mess around and pause the game just before the orange and see how early you have to hit it, it's almost an entire note too fast. If you time the pause just right and resume you can also glitch the solo out and make the song go completely out of sync, like 20 seconds out of sync, the solo even repeats itself twice over!

PlatStrat

Neo Member
I think "Birth In Reverse" has a glitched solo. The first 5 fret sweep has an orange hammer-on that doesn't register about 90% of the time no matter how accurate I am. Decided to mess around and pause the game just before the orange and see how early you have to hit it, it's almost an entire note too fast. If you time the pause just right and resume you can also glitch the solo out and make the song go completely out of sync, like 20 seconds out of sync, the solo even repeats itself twice over!

That definitely sounds like a bug that deserves a support ticket on Harmonix's website

I was kind of contemplating grabbing Green Day. Not a big fan, but it would have been a nice boost to my catalog. I'm guessing the RB2 export should be similarly down or will be sooner than later as well.

I was kind of contemplating grabbing Green Day. Not a big fan, but it would have been a nice boost to my catalog. I'm guessing the RB2 export should be similarly down or will be sooner than later as well.

I've heard that it's a good collection of songs from a gameplay perspective. If you only want certain songs, though, you can always cherry pick songs from that game as normal DLC.

FyreWulff

Entirety of the game is available as normal DLC. It'll just cost more to have all of it.

Top Bottom