• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

whitelighter89

Neo Member
Is anyone else having the issue with the PS4 that it shows only 30 add-ons available (the list is the pre-order stuff) even though the library view says that there's 67 or so available. I don't get this and I can't fix it. It's becoming so annoying.

Found that out the hard way last night. Holy shit, that made my hands hurt. Only the chorus was fun to play.

I got that track pack yesterday but I paid $2. So I think it's worth it but for nearly $20? I don't know.

Look at the list of songs and if a lot of them tickle your fancy, go for it.

I think it's way rarer in the UK. I believe only the first two track packs and AC/DC were the only ones actually officially released. Being sealed I also know for sure I can export it, and 50p isn't too bad.

I'll have a think about it, I can't imagine all new copies imploding in the next week.

Is anyone else having the issue with the PS4 that it shows only 30 add-ons available (the list is the pre-order stuff) even though the library view says that there's 67 or so available. I don't get this and I can't fix it. It's becoming so annoying.

In my add-ons I only see the Blitz songs, Maiden Epics and Cry Thunder. It's a bit weird.

People keep talking about Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight, but is Spinal Tap not on the EU store for some reason? I got all excited but couldn't find anything..

All the Spinal Tap songs were delisted a while ago. Only people who bought them originally will be able to redownload them once they become available for them. Everyone else is shit out of luck unfortunately.

bobohoro

Played through The Beatles story mode again yesterday (just had that itch) and noticed another absence. Is there really no stat tracking in the game, or is it just buried somewhere I can't find it? I really liked going for all those extra challenges, or trophies, in RB3/Beatles, but it would be hell to do it in RB4 without anywhere to see your progress on things, like getting 85% on all guitar soli and stuff.

Another question: GH guitars are the same between PS2 and PS3, right? Since it seems to be easier and cheaper to get an old PS2-bundle here.

vg260

For you veteran guitar players I want to learn to double/alternate strum and I'm wondering the best way to go about it.

I can already play competently on Expert the first 3 or 4 tiers but the songs that require fast strumming overwhelm me without this particular skill. Should I go back down to medium and just alt strum every note and slowly work my way back up? What method did you all use to get it down?

That's what practice mode is best suited for :(

sugarless

All the Spinal Tap songs were delisted a while ago. Only people who bought them originally will be able to redownload them once they become available for them. Everyone else is shit out of luck unfortunately.

Dammit. I was on 360 at the time so I wouldn't have been able to download on PS4 but it's still really disappointing. Thanks for clearing that up though!

You HAVE downloaded the soundtrack before or you never manged to on PS3?

I triggered the download early last week, but I couldn't get it to work again properly. I made a post here stating that my PSN was not patched to the latest version on PS3 and noticing there was no record in my download history or purchases of a Blitz export, but I guess none of that matters.

And today's EU DLC haul iiiiiiiiiis...

Absolutely nothing. Doesn't look like they've added anything today, at least not yet. Even worse, the latest batch of DLC tracks are £1.69 rather than the usual £1.19. Hopefully it's a pricing error and not like the sudden, unexplained increase in price all RB3 tracks got halfway through the schedule. That stuff adds up.

Psymatiq

Neo Member
For you veteran guitar players I want to learn to double/alternate strum and I'm wondering the best way to go about it.

I can already play competently on Expert the first 3 or 4 tiers but the songs that require fast strumming overwhelm me without this particular skill. Should I go back down to medium and just alt strum every note and slowly work my way back up? What method did you all use to get it down?

You need to train, strumming is all about knowing when the strum pattern ends either on a up or a down strum. And at what speed the strumming is. Allso abusing the engine/calibration itself makes it way easier,

Personally i only alt strum when the NPS is high. There is no reason to break note streak cause you gotta alt strum slow. Just train diffrent speeds of notes til you find your max possible NPS before you miss with pure downstrumming. Lots of strummy songs can be fced with just downstrumming.

You just have to practice. I just stayed on expert even though I failed hard at parts requiring alt strumming until I got it (mostly) down. Just keep playing songs with it and keep trying! I personally only alt strum when the notes per seconds is high. It is all about being able to read how fast you need to alt strum (which you only learn with practice) and recognizing if you need to end on an up or down strum (so you don't strum extra time(s)).

My tip is to find some songs that you like a lot with parts that you need to alt strum and just go for it :D

Played through The Beatles story mode again yesterday (just had that itch) and noticed another absence. Is there really no stat tracking in the game, or is it just buried somewhere I can't find it? I really liked going for all those extra challenges, or trophies, in RB3/Beatles, but it would be hell to do it in RB4 without anywhere to see your progress on things, like getting 85% on all guitar soli and stuff
I noticed this instantly and it makes me very upset. I loved filling up the star sheet on Rock Band 3 :(

At least none of the achievements seem too tough. Currently going for the 5 star everything on Expert achievement. I've already 5 starred Dream Genie (Gonna shoot for Gold Stars or FC since this song is soooooooooo easy on vocals) so I wonder what other really hard songs stand in my way!

IconGrist

You need to train, strumming is all about knowing when the strum pattern ends either on a up or a down strum. And at what speed the strumming is. Allso abusing the engine/calibration itself makes it way easier,

Personally i only alt strum when the NPS is high. There is no reason to break note streak cause you gotta alt strum slow. Just train diffrent speeds of notes til you find your max possible NPS before you miss with pure downstrumming. Lots of strummy songs can be fced with just downstrumming.

You just have to practice. I just stayed on expert even though I failed hard at parts requiring alt strumming until I got it (mostly) down. Just keep playing songs with it and keep trying! I personally only alt strum when the notes per seconds is high. It is all about being able to read how fast you need to alt strum (which you only learn with practice) and recognizing if you need to end on an up or down strum (so you don't strum extra time(s)).

My tip is to find some songs that you like a lot with parts that you need to alt strum and just go for it :D

Thanks! Alt strumming the entire song did seem rather pointless.

Yaari

I have much to learn. I thought good players were constantly alt strumming so it was all I did. Lol. (Attempted anyway, I'm bad so it didnt work well. (

I have much to learn. I thought good players were constantly alt strumming so it was all I did. Lol. (Attempted anyway, I'm bad so it didnt work well. (

That would be so difficult lol, I would do horrible at most songs if I did that (I'm decent, usually 5 star the vast majority of songs on Expert, and gold a fair amount)! It is definitely a really useful tool to learn though. Probably will hurt scores initially when you do it but it will help in the long run as you get better at it!

FyreWulff

Learn it on bass since those songs tend to avoid chords.

If you're willing to buy DLC, a good song is Relax (Come Fighting). Bass is just constant Red notes for a few minutes, which is perfect for learning alt-strumming.

But I just eventually 'learned' it. You just have to get comfortable with alt-strumming everything, in every song, no matter how fast or slow it is.

edit: looks like I'm the lone person here that alt strums everything :V

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
edit: looks like I'm the lone person here that alt strums everything :V

I'm more hybrid, i selectively downstrum and alt strum certain parts, where I usually lean on down strumming because i'm so used to it, but will alt strum long phrases with chords.

FyreWulff

Props to you, that is seriously impressive haha!

It's great though, I actually learned how to alt-strum from Rock Band.. which helped me to learn how to play a real bass. Which exposed me to learning finger-walking strumming on bass, which I took back to Rock Band later to make it even easier to play bass parts.

Basically what I do for certain constant strumming parts is I apply a light pressure down with my finger on the strum bar, then strum for the even notes and let the other finger push the strum bar back for the odd notes.

So it feels like I only have to strum every other note. It's hard to explain but great when you get a good feel for it.

Neil_J_UK

It's great though, I actually learned how to alt-strum from Rock Band.. which helped me to learn how to play a real bass. Which exposed me to learning finger-walking strumming on bass, which I took back to Rock Band later to make it even easier to play bass parts.

Basically what I do for certain constant strumming parts is I apply a light pressure down with my finger on the strum bar, then strum for the even notes and let the other finger push the strum bar back for the odd notes.

So it feels like I only have to strum every other note. It's hard to explain but great when you get a good feel for it.

I'd be interested to see pics or a quick vid explaining this further. I'm a decent expert guitar player but alt-strumming is something I struggle with unless it's just one constant note. It's something I really want to improve at. I usually hold the strum bar with my thumb and index finger and wiggle it up and down.

ViciousDS

Banned

just keep practicing dude.....not going to lie though....I have become more tamed in plastic strumming after getting a real guitar. Being able to learn different strum patterns helps

but fuck those quick triples.....they piss me off on the plastic side lol.

Nope, got them all fine last week.
The thing with the Coldplay pack is like the Queen Extravaganza 01 pack, where the individual tracks have been added to your purchase history, but you can't download the pack itself. You have to dig through your download history and individually download the songs. The pack doesn't show up when you select it through the in game store either. It might affect other packs and songs, but those are the only ones that I'm aware of.

FyreWulff

I'd be interested to see pics or a quick vid explaining this further. I'm a decent expert guitar player but alt-strumming is something I struggle with unless it's just one constant note. It's something I really want to improve at. I usually hold the strum bar with my thumb and index finger and wiggle it up and down.

I'll see if I can do a vid of this

farisr

yea my drums are ones with white drumpads.
the only problem is I won't be able to get the pro-cymbals upgrade if I wanted right?

Yeah, that's the main downfall of the proper beatles drums. The quality is really good but can't have the pro expansion.

Kolma

You need to play a song with normal drums, not pro, for it to trigger.

I hated the goals RB3 had that forced me to play on regular drums...
It's like when a game makes you play on easy mode to unlock something that you've clearly done on hard mode already.

I triggered the download early last week, but I couldn't get it to work again properly. I made a post here stating that my PSN was not patched to the latest version on PS3 and noticing there was no record in my download history or purchases of a Blitz export, but I guess none of that matters.

I think my RB4 is getting delievered today so I'll check it today/tomorrow. hopefully it just works :lol

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I'm still holding off for my Ion Kit to work. Without it, RB4 is really just another guitar only game and I can't justify getting it if I will only play guitar on it. I keep hoping with enough bitching this issue will get resolved.

There are some really specific songs that can teach you when and how to alt-strum, 3s and 7s by Queens of the Stone Age immediately comes to mind. The main riff is two chords and then a quick three note bit with a chord at the end, and it repeats.

I play that part by down strumming the first two notes, then alt-strumming the three notes, then down strumming two, alt-strumming three.

For me, alt-strumming is for any succession of notes 3 or longer. Everyone is much more precise down strumming, the trick to alt-strumming is having the right grip on the strumbar and being able to read how many notes are coming- so if its a group of 3 notes you strum, down,up,down. If it's 6 notes, and you start by strumming down, you know you're going to end on an up-strum.

Kolma

There are some really specific songs that can teach you when and how to alt-strum, 3s and 7s by Queens of the Stone Age immediately comes to mind. The main riff is two chords and then a quick three note bit with a chord at the end, and it repeats.

I play that part by down strumming the first two notes, then alt-strumming the three notes, then down strumming two, alt-strumming three.

For me, alt-strumming is for any succession of notes 3 or longer. Everyone is much more precise down strumming, the trick to alt-strumming is having the right grip on the strumbar and being able to read how many notes are coming- so if its a group of 3 notes you strum, down,up,down. If it's 6 notes, and you start by strumming down, you know you're going to end on an up-strum.

I usually just listen for where the down and up beats are. and look at the note highway for white lines to know when to stop along with listening to the music.

RockBand4_HUD_02.jpg

If the notes start on a line with strumming down, if they start off a line start with strumming up.

Nothing worse than alt strumming off beat because it will mess you up x_X

Same rules apply with drumming MOST of the time. if you have to roll on a note, line start with right hand, no line start with left hand.

sonto340

Coming at it from a musical composition standpoint, typically you'll want to always down strum on quarter notes and eighth notes. You don't want to break out the alt strumming until you get into sixteenth notes. Like for a standard four count, you'd have 1-e-&-a-2-e-&-a-3-e-&-a-4-e-&-a
You'd down strum on the 1 2 3 4 and & counts, and upstrum on the e and a counts.
So in a part like in uptown funk where you have parts like a-4 with two sixteenth notes most people would either double down strum or down strum then upstrum, but that would put you off of your count. Id be more inclined to upstrum then downstrum. In a song like uptown funk though with so many rests between it isn't super important, but in later songs with note patterns that start on e and a counts you'll find yourself reversed and it can throw you off in a hurry. The bars behind the notes are there for a reason! :p
Sorry if this is all just confusing and feel free to completely ignore it if it means nothing to you.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Well, EU PSN was disappointing today. Like 30 legacy DLC songs added, still missing about 100.

Btw, whoever in the EU succeeded in exporting Blitz, and is missing that Avenged Sevenfold song, there's a weird fix for it (quoting from HMX forums)
Meat-Popsicle said:
I managed to add 4 songs to my PS4 library yesterday, the ones that were listed as "Purchased". When you click on the Purchase button for one of them, it says, "no content available". But from that screen, hit the PS button (taking you to the main PS4 menu) and then click on RB4 (taking you back into the game). Now the screen gives you a list of ALL of your available downloads, starting with the first ones your ever did (?). Scroll down until you find the Rock Band DLC, and then look for individual ones that don't say "installed" already. Click on the arrow (download) next to those tracks, and they download and install right away.
Worked for me. I didn't even know such a menu existed lol.

Stubo

Skimming through this thread is making me a bit concerned...

I wish the Xbox 360 Wireless Guitar hero world tour drums worked on the xbox one version :(

They do work... as a MIDI adapter. Because of that they're the only(?) way to use decent drums on Xbone. Too bad they're expensive AF.

They don't? I thought they were compatible? Theyre listed in the compatibility chart

What's the deal with this? I have the GH3 guitar and the full band set from GH: World Tour for 360. From everything I've read the guitars and mic are fine but are the drums going to have issues with my Xbox One?

Well, Rock Band has currently fucked up my Xbox One in a real way.

I queued some DLC to download from the music store, not a big thing. Game gets hung up, crashes, and i need to power down the system.

Now, i have about 30 songs in queue, but everytime i boot up my console, only one song will download, the next song gets hung-up, and i have to shut my system down in order for a song to download again. Also, cant cancel any downloads, cant access tbe manage game function, and i cant boot the game.

What a merry time!

This also sounds like a delight.

I was planning on picking up the legacy adapter bundle when it comes back into stock on Amazon UK but I'm having second thoughts after reading all of this.
Does anyone have any news on the above?

Well, EU PSN was disappointing today. Like 30 legacy DLC songs added, still missing about 100.

Btw, whoever in the EU succeeded in exporting Blitz, and is missing that Avenged Sevenfold song, there's a weird fix for it (quoting from HMX forums)

Worked for me. I didn't even know such a menu existed lol.
Ah, I knew that a song was missing! Says something that it was the Avenged Sevenfold song, it's incredibly forgettable.

but in later songs with note patterns that start on e and a counts you'll find yourself reversed and it can throw you off in a hurry. The bars behind the notes are there for a reason! :p
Sorry if this is all just confusing and feel free to completely ignore it if it means nothing to you.

No it's cool! I have zero experience in playing/reading real music. It's interesting cause I've always disregarded the white bars on the note highway.

I started playing Rock Band on expert from the start cause I played so much Guitar Hero I and II.

I remember trying Rock Band drums on expert to start and just not getting it at all. I think you actually need to understand time signature and beat-keeping way more for drums than guitar. Now I can play expert drums on most songs but anything with an excessive or uneven rhythm on the pedal kills me.

Arttemis

I disagree. There are some RB3 DLC songs that would be more fun on guitar if keys did not exist. My main example would be Terrible Lie by NIN

Why would the guitar be playing another instrument's part? Drums should be playing drums. Guitar should be playing guitar. Bass should be playing bass. There should be keys in RB4 so you can play keys.

ViciousDS

Banned
Never noticed this! Pretty cool.

I usually just play the song enough to know at that point....but for sight reading I never even thought of it lol

Why would the guitar be playing another instrument's part? Drums should be playing drums. Guitar should be playing guitar. Bass should be playing bass. There should be keys in RB4 so you can play keys.

synth guitars aren't really that far fetched

Top Bottom