• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Kolma

Was it fixed in latest nxe update? The guitar now works as a controller.

Yeah people were reporting earlier that the latest NXOE update fixed the instrument issues..
However some people are saying they still get freezing issues :(

I want to opt-in/update to NXOE but Rock Band 4 is the sole reason I have an Xbox One and it would be a shame to break that game.

pacman85

so, for anyone like me who hates the fact that the song selection screen on rock band 4's quickplay mode sucks so bad with how you can't get more info on the song, there's no filters, etc. here is what the lead developer had to say on reddit about it 12 days ago and what he replied to above it:
I'm pretty sure you can sort by difficulty. But the sorting is only a handful of options by pressing the orange button. RB3 had the best system allowing you to narrow your search with a ton of different criteria
Hey! This was a pretty deep discussion during development. It turns out that the Filters for RB3 were very rarely used, and they added a LOT of development time (for UI mostly).
We tried testing out using Sorts on the Orange button and putting the Filters behind the Back button (instead of having them all on a page using Back), but then nobody EVER used the filters, people couldn't find them.
So in the end the cost of implementing the filters was too high for the amount of people who used them.
BUT, did you know you can Search and get almost the same results? Genre, Decade (even individual year) and keywords. I think the only thing you can't filter for with the Search function is Song Length.
even with his explanation, i still hate that there is no filters to narrow down my list of 1000+ songs or at least a bit more ways to sort the songs. interesting that he claims those filters were very rarely used. i used them literally every time i played rock band with a group of people.

I expected as much. Shame that it has to be this way, but I know how it goes.

I only used filters when admiring my music library, not really so much for finding individual songs. I miss their inclusion, among other things. The UI took a huge hit, man

Kolma

I used filters fairly often to make it just keys or pro guitar songs.
I also used it once when none of my DLC was working when I had no internet (took it to a friends house and it was my second 360 so nothing was officially licensed for it despite license transfer)
So all that worked were rb3 on disc and rb1 export so that was a lifesaver to have them guess and check on songs.

The searching genre's is neat though just tested it with country. The 2 on disc country songs popped up along with Avenged Sevenfold - Bat Country.

so, for anyone like me who hates the fact that the song selection screen on rock band 4's quickplay mode sucks so bad with how you can't get more info on the song, there's no filters, etc. here is what the lead developer had to say on reddit about it 12 days ago and what he replied to above it:

even with his explanation, i still hate that there is no filters to narrow down my list of 1000+ songs or at least a bit more ways to sort the songs. interesting that he claims those filters were very rarely used. i used them literally every time i played rock band with a group of people.

I can believe it, seeing as the people who owned more than a couple hundred songs were probably outliers. Given that, the amount of work it would take compared to the audience that would use it probably makes it the type of feature that you would work on post-release (if you can) as opposed to one you'd make sure worked at launch.

That being said, I would like more sort options, like genre or release year/decade. Oh, and song source, especially once exports arrive.

Kolma

I can believe it, seeing as the people who owned more than a couple hundred songs were probably outliers. Given that, the amount of work it would take compared to the audience that would use it probably makes it the type of feature that you would work on post-release (if you can) as opposed to one you'd make sure worked at launch.

That being said, I would like more sort options, like genre or release year/decade. Oh, and song source, especially once exports arrive.

If you sort by date acquired it separate DLC from Disc games.
Right now it's just recently, rest of DLC, and RB4.

Rb3 did the same thing except Recently acquired songs were limited to latest 20 not 100.

zulux21

I personally don't care to much about the filters, but I need my song ratings back. I need to be able to make songs less likely to show up randomly if I dislike them, beyond that it's a great way for me to remember if I liked a song or not. So many songs, and a number of them I do not like. I played rock band with a friend and he got a number of songs and I loved being able to make those rarely show up in rock band 3.

If you sort by date acquired it separate DLC from Disc games.
Right now it's just recently, rest of DLC, and RB4.

Rb3 did the same thing except Recently acquired songs were limited to latest 20 not 100.

Then the trick is whether the songs will show up as exports or as just songs? Remember, the Blitz songs show up as just DLC at the moment, though there's an argument to be made that this is because they're listed on the store as DLC, and don't come from an RB Blitz export pack.

Kolma

I was just reminded that Freezepop songs are regularly among the most fun to play in all of rhythm games.

Too bad Special Effects and Doppelgänger are part of Rock Band Network and don't transfer to RB4 :(

Then the trick is whether the songs will show up as exports or as just songs? Remember, the Blitz songs show up as just DLC at the moment, though there's an argument to be made that this is because they're listed on the store as DLC, and don't come from an RB Blitz export pack.

They along with all track packs showed up as regular DLC in RB3.
Only RB1,2,3,Lego, and Green Day had their own disc based listings from what I remember

Kolma

ZOM13Oq.jpg
xhU8k2x.jpg

Yeah Blitz had no setting for standalone sorting nor did the track packs.
Also I guess there was some smudge on my lens... don't care enough to retake the pics lol

bobohoro

The majority approach to development of this game begins to grind my gears. Especially since, for all the cut features, there is hardly anything new that's worth a damn. And with every omission of minority features you are probably neglecting your most invested fans.

I can live without filters, although it's annoying. But not being able to filter/sort/show scores by different instruments is unacceptable.

My calibration numbers are massively different depending on whether I use my wireless (legacy) guitars vs my wired (midi pro) drum. By 100+ms.

The game is playable but feels way off when playing with the instrument that wasn't used for calibration.

I never had this issue with any of the other games. Simply calibrated using my drums and every instrument was perfect.

bobohoro

My calibration numbers are massively different depending on whether I use my wireless (legacy) guitars vs my wired (midi pro) drum. By 100+ms.

The game is playable but feels way off when playing with the instrument that wasn't used for calibration.

I never had this issue with any of the other games. Simply calibrated using my drums and every instrument was perfect.

You're not alone. My Hofner Bass and Midi Drums differ by ~60ms.

FyreWulff

I was pretty much the only person in the group that would dig into filters. I think most people didn't even know they existed.

It was hilarious though when you realized you had enough DLC in a genre to basically activate Rock Band: <Genre> mode

vg260

I was pretty much the only person in the group that would dig into filters. I think most people didn't even know they existed.

It was hilarious though when you realized you had enough DLC in a genre to basically activate Rock Band: <Genre> mode

I used the filters every time I played. I have a big library though.

I also miss the ability to jump quickly between the first letter of band titles. I haven't bothered with trying the searching, but perhaps that says something about having the navigation built-in. I'm probably avers to having to search as people were to use the filters.

Also, I posted this in the GH review thread, and was curious about the take here for those invested in the RB platform:

The one thing that bothers me/makes me nervous about the possible success of this game is the GHTV service's use of non-separated tracks and its effect on the music genre. It's more like playing over the music. Essentially you could get the same thing from customs.

I don't want to see the significance of getting master tracks diminished, and it affecting Rock Band negatively as a result, either by labels stopping giving access to them or people passing on RB tracks, thus hurting that series, because they can get these much cheaper(?). The separated master tracks are, to me, what made these games the most interesting and cool. The difference between playing a game with individual instrument tracks from the actual bands that you control versus playing along to song is huge.

Listonosh

So if for some reason I never got to export my Lego Rock Band tracks, would it seem possible that the entire tracklist will be purchasable through RB4 anyway? Or will those tracks be locked out for users who never exported?

So if for some reason I never got to export my Lego Rock Band tracks, would it seem possible that the entire tracklist will be purchasable through RB4 anyway? Or will those tracks be locked out for users who never exported?

It doesn't look like it. We Are the Champions, We Will Rock You, and You Give Love a Bad Name are all available as DLC, though, and there's a live version of Fire that's better than the version in Lego Rock Band as DLC as well.

Xis

Jesus, I just totaled up the number of songs I have tied up in exports, and it's over 400. (Stealth brag - I own and have exported every RB disc released so far). Might be of interest to any fellow disc hoarders:

Lego Rock Band: 45
Rock Band 1: 45 (of which at least 3 will probably not export)
Rock Band 2: 75 (of which at least 6 will probably not export) (9 of the on-disc tracks were released as 'Rock Band Free 01', should be available now)
Rock Band 3: 83 (who knows how many will not export)
Rock Band: Green Day: 44
Track Pack: AC/DC: 18
Track Pack: Classic Rock: 18
Track Pack: Country: 21
Track Pack: Country 2: 21
Track Pack: Metal: 20
Track Pack: Vol. 2: 20

Also doesn't count the Rock Band 2 free 20-pack, which is probably available now?

pacman85

I personally don't care to much about the filters, but I need my song ratings back. I need to be able to make songs less likely to show up randomly if I dislike them, beyond that it's a great way for me to remember if I liked a song or not. So many songs, and a number of them I do not like. I played rock band with a friend and he got a number of songs and I loved being able to make those rarely show up in rock band 3.
Yeah, the song/lighter ratings were something I used too that I am upset are gone.

pacman85

I will be really interested to see how many songs from this game don't export. It will kinda give us an idea of what bands will/will not work with Harmonix/music games anymore. Maybe some hints at who to expect/not expect as DLC. Either way, I'm just happy we are getting a RB3 export at some point! I will happily pony up the (hopefully) $10 export fee but would be willing to pay more (up to $20).

FyreWulff

The one thing that bothers me/makes me nervous about the possible success of this game is the GHTV service's use of non-separated tracks and its effect on the music genre. It's more like playing over the music. Essentially you could get the same thing from customs.

I don't want to see the significance of getting master tracks diminished, and it affecting Rock Band negatively as a result, either by labels stopping giving access to them or people passing on RB tracks, thus hurting that series, because they can get these much cheaper(?). The separated master tracks are, to me, what made these games the most interesting and cool. The difference between playing a game with individual instrument tracks from the actual bands that you control versus playing along to song is huge.

Luckily Harmonix is "split masters or nothing". On the RB side I think Harmonix will only ever do split masters, because it's part of their 'arcade music simulation' goal.

GHLive is trying to sit between Rocksmith just using the mp3 and Rock Band using split masters by having the arcade playback of one with the presentation of the other. RB's split master also let Harmonix do a fully 'correct' guitar freestyle since they drop out the original guitar track while freestyling.. can't do that if the original solo is always there.

I will be really interested to see how many songs from this game don't export. It will kinda give us an idea of what bands will/will not work with Harmonix/music games anymore. Maybe some hints at who to expect/not expect as DLC. Either way, I'm just happy we are getting a RB3 export at some point! I will happily pony up the (hopefully) $10 export fee but would be willing to pay more (up to $20).

You would think this would be an indicator, but SoaD and Fleetwood Mac both got pulled in the last year and still showed up as RB4 disc artists.

21st Century Breakdown showed up as Purchased for me and I downloaded it!

Nice to have some Green Day back.... not happy that it isn't filtered as Green Day: Rock Band under Date Acquired

21st Century Breakdown showed up as Purchased for me and I downloaded it!

Nice to have some Green Day back.... not happy that it isn't filtered as Green Day: Rock Band under Date Acquired

I have about ten Green Day songs installed and yeah, Green Day: Rock Band doesn't get its own category (aside from the Green Day artist section, but that includes Oh Love as well).

Xis

Well, at least according to Gamespot, Guitar Hero shit the bed with microtransactions. #teamrockband

GameSpot's review is by far the harshest. The reviews all seem to like the game mechanically, it's just some take issue with the business model. As a score-chaser, I think Rock Band is a better fit for me, but for someone who cares more about constant variety, GH could be a good choice.

No more classic DLC available, no Aerosmith pack. SCEE are never going to change.

You would think this would be an indicator, but SoaD and Fleetwood Mac both got pulled in the last year and still showed up as RB4 disc artists.

I guess that's a similar situation to Enter Sandman and Monsoon not exporting from RB1, but Battery appearing in RB2 and Ready, Set, Go! and Humanoid appearing as DLC/in RB3 respectively. If I had to hazard a guess based on previous removals, I'd say that the Tokio Hotel and James Brown tracks definitely won't and the John Jett one is a maybe. From there its anyone's guess.

FyreWulff

No more classic DLC available, no Aerosmith pack. SCEE are never going to change.

I guess that's a similar situation to Enter Sandman and Monsoon not exporting from RB1, but Battery appearing in RB2 and Ready, Set, Go! and Humanoid appearing as DLC/in RB3 respectively. If I had to hazard a guess based on previous removals, I'd say that the Tokio Hotel and James Brown tracks definitely won't and the John Jett one is a maybe. From there its anyone's guess.

It's weird. I think the Metallica situation was specifically due to Activision signing them exclusive, so Harmonix was allowed to continue selling the DLC they had made so far but couldn't release any new ones, and were blocked from exporting their disc songs.

It's also nice to see this:

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/656500532094201856

espher

I think Rock Band is a better fit for me, but for someone who cares more about constant variety, GH could be a good choice.

Provided you're paying for XBL/PS+, yeah.

I'm not, so I cancelled my GHL pre-order because the disc setlist left a lot to be desired and I had no a-la-carte options. :(

It's weird. I think the Metallica situation was specifically due to Activision signing them exclusive, so Harmonix was allowed to continue selling the DLC they had made so far but couldn't release any new ones, and were blocked from exporting their disc songs.
When you think about it though, there are a few weird situations. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith came first, but Train Kept A-Rollin' (albeit a cover) exported, the Red Hot Chili Peppers just seem to have quit on music games altogether (there was a rumoured GH Chili Peppers game though, which might have something to do with it) and took all their music with them, and who knows what the hell is going on with Oasis, among other artists.

Licensing is weird.

FyreWulff

When you think about it though, there are a few weird situations. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith came first, but Train Kept A-Rollin' (albeit a cover) exported, the Red Hot Chili Peppers just seem to have quit on music games altogether (there was a rumoured GH Chili Peppers game though, which might have something to do with it) and took all their music with them, and who knows what the hell is going on with Oasis, among other artists.

Licensing is weird.

Yeah. the GH: RHCP was all but confirmed and RB3 was blocked from loading their exports at first, then it was rumored to be canceled and soon after that was when RB3 was patched to load Dani California again.

To increase the "licensing is weird", BSSM got pulled even after Harmonix later released a new RHCP pack and advertised them heavily with the song pack that comes with the Mustang. So we went from having one song from that album, to the whole album, and now we're back to one song (Give It Away) which originally appeared on a disc if you're starting RB just now :lol

vg260

Luckily Harmonix is "split masters or nothing". On the RB side I think Harmonix will only ever do split masters, because it's part of their 'arcade music simulation' goal.

GHLive is trying to sit between Rocksmith just using the mp3 and Rock Band using split masters by having the arcade playback of one with the presentation of the other. RB's split master also let Harmonix do a fully 'correct' guitar freestyle since they drop out the original guitar track while freestyling.. can't do that if the original solo is always there.

I'm not worried about Harmonix's handling of this. I'd love to see RB offer some sort of subscription or rental model. I'm worried about the impact of GHTV's streaming service on RB's market for those that play it due to split tracks.

The thing that's bugging me are the reviews, going "THIS is how you reinvent a music game", or "THIS is how to make music games relevant again" when they completely gloss over the fact that gamplay in GHTV is just a layer on top of a music video and is missing the original point of the games interacting with the music more closely.

Are people oblivious of this or simply don't care as long as there's some game functionality on top of everything? The latter one is what worries me, because it feels like cutting corners to what the genre is about. If people flock to that model, it feels like it's a sign from the market that getting masters is a waste of resources and RB's support and content could suffer as a result. I hate that idea. It's like Activision yet again doesn't get it in terms of the genre and people don't care about what made the games special.

Yeah. the GH: RHCP was all but confirmed and RB3 was blocked from loading their exports at first, then it was rumored to be canceled and soon after that was when RB3 was patched to load Dani California again.

To increase the "licensing is weird", BSSM got pulled even after Harmonix later released a new RHCP pack and advertised them heavily with the song pack that comes with the Mustang. So we went from having one song from that album, to the whole album, and now we're back to one song (Give It Away) which originally appeared on a disc if you're starting RB just now :lol
God, yeah. I'm still annoyed about missing BSSM. I'm glad we've moved past the constant bragging about exclusive artists and exclusive re-recordings of songs. Soundgarden and Aerosmith belong to everyone. Next up, more Eagles. And give me back my god damn Rock 'n' Roll Star.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The SCEE situation is just so frustratingly fucked. Something must be done about it before we end up waiting months for our old DLC, but nobody is even responding with a slight hint of an ETA or something.

wilflare

Jesus, I just totaled up the number of songs I have tied up in exports, and it's over 400. (Stealth brag - I own and have exported every RB disc released so far). Might be of interest to any fellow disc hoarders:

Lego Rock Band: 45
Rock Band 1: 45 (of which at least 3 will probably not export)
Rock Band 2: 75 (of which at least 6 will probably not export) (9 of the on-disc tracks were released as 'Rock Band Free 01', should be available now)
Rock Band: Green Day: 44
Track Pack: AC/DC: 18
Track Pack: Classic Rock: 18
Track Pack: Country: 21
Track Pack: Country 2: 21
Track Pack: Metal: 20
Track Pack: Vol. 2: 20

Also doesn't count the Rock Band 2 free 20-pack, which is probably available now?

For Track Pack: Country 2 - I wonder if RB4 will make distinction between this and the "Mega Country Pack"

sjsteuck

Neo Member
Does anybody know if the Rock Band 4 guitar work on Guitar Hero Live and vice versa? I'm guessing no, but I'd love confirmation.

xeris

Licensing is weird.

For what it's worth, there's an Oasis pack in Rocksmith. So they may be in the real guitar or nothing camp.

Top Bottom