• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Kolma

Does anybody know if the Rock Band 4 guitar work on Guitar Hero Live and vice versa? I'm guessing no, but I'd love confirmation.

RB4 uses traditional 5 fret lineup. GH Live uses 2 rows of 3.

They confirmed long ago that they are not cross compatible.

NewDust

Hey people, quick question... I know about the compatability with previous instruments, but what I want to know... Can the RB4 guitar be used on previous titles? I have GH5 and Beatles RB (ps3), but no longer a working guitar (lost the receiver for the GH5 guitar). I would like to buy the new RB4 (ps4), if I can use the guitar on these titles, if not I'll just wait untill the inevitable price drop. Someone that can test this out for me?

Hey people, quick question... I know about the compatability with previous instruments, but what I want to know... Can the RB4 guitar be used on previous titles? I have GH5 and Beatles RB (ps3), but no longer a working guitar (lost the receiver for the GH5 guitar). I would like to buy the new RB4 (ps4), if I can use the guitar on these titles, if not I'll just wait untill the inevitable price drop. Someone that can test this out for me?

No.

Finally looked at the GH Live reviews. WTF? That is how GHTV works? Free to play but you can buy passes to keep playing songs? That is a big, big turnoff. And you know they are going to start putting ads into the streams eventually.

KaYotiX

Banned
Jesus, I just totaled up the number of songs I have tied up in exports, and it's over 400. (Stealth brag - I own and have exported every RB disc released so far). Might be of interest to any fellow disc hoarders:

Lego Rock Band: 45
Rock Band 1: 45 (of which at least 3 will probably not export)
Rock Band 2: 75 (of which at least 6 will probably not export) (9 of the on-disc tracks were released as 'Rock Band Free 01', should be available now)
Rock Band 3: 83 (who knows how many will not export)
Rock Band: Green Day: 44
Track Pack: AC/DC: 18
Track Pack: Classic Rock: 18
Track Pack: Country: 21
Track Pack: Country 2: 21
Track Pack: Metal: 20
Track Pack: Vol. 2: 20

Also doesn't count the Rock Band 2 free 20-pack, which is probably available now?

I'm in the same boat, can't wait to have all or most of my library back. (still have 500 songs atm though lol)

GameSpot's review is by far the harshest. The reviews all seem to like the game mechanically, it's just some take issue with the business model. As a score-chaser, I think Rock Band is a better fit for me, but for someone who cares more about constant variety, GH could be a good choice.

I was almost exclusively a Rock Band player last generation once I started getting tired of the 150 GH releases every year. Liked the Rock Band model of weekly DLC so much better. I already bought Rock Band 4 and I am picking up Guitar Hero Live today as it seems to do enough different to warrant a purchase. Not sure if I'll like it better or worse than RB, but I am interested in the new button layout and also their new way of introducing content. Now the question is if learning a new guitar is going to make me terrible at both games.

I'm not worried about Harmonix's handling of this. I'd love to see RB offer some sort of subscription or rental model. I'm worried about the impact of GHTV's streaming service on RB's market for those that play it due to split tracks.

The thing that's bugging me are the reviews, going "THIS is how you reinvent a music game", or "THIS is how to make music games relevant again" when they completely gloss over the fact that gamplay in GHTV is just a layer on top of a music video and is missing the original point of the games interacting with the music more closely.

Are people oblivious of this or simply don't care as long as there's some game functionality on top of everything? The latter one is what worries me, because it feels like cutting corners to what the genre is about. If people flock to that model, it feels like it's a sign from the market that getting masters is a waste of resources and RB's support and content could suffer as a result. I hate that idea. It's like Activision yet again doesn't get it in terms of the genre and people don't care about what made the games special.
I have over a thousand hours in the genre and I honestly don't care at all about the masters deal. Mostly because I don't understand what the games gain from masters that benefits me while it's much easier to see how not requiring masters benefits me as it'll give way to a higher chance of songs I love being brought in

Forsythia

Finally looked at the GH Live reviews. WTF? That is how GHTV works? Free to play but you can buy passes to keep playing songs? That is a big, big turnoff. And you know they are going to start putting ads into the streams eventually.

That's the reason I cancelled my pre-order. The game looks fun, but I can't even buy songs to play them offline (nice when they're killing the servers). Half the fun of these games is buying songs you like.

vg260

I have over a thousand hours in the genre and I honestly don't care at all about the masters deal. Mostly because I don't understand what the games gain from masters that benefits me while it's much easier to see how not requiring masters benefits me as it'll give way to a higher chance of songs I love being brought in

There's something to be said for having friends rally around with a song, but getting your hands dirty with the individual parts of the original recordings is another level that I appreciate. I've heard the songs hundreds of time analyzing them as a complete package or doing all sorts of stuff on top of them, but this game lets me hear and play with the individual pieces of the songs I love in a way I would never have had access to or have been able to interact with otherwise. We never were able to hear the songs in their components before this. I dunno, maybe, that's too subtle to be compelling to most, but that's a big deal to me.

CloudWolf

Lack of masters makes it almost impossible to accurately chart drums and especially bass though. With master tracks the charters can hear every note, every little nuance. Without this becomes a lot harder and in some cases even impossible. For instance, just try to chart a bass track based on a MP3 or even FLAC from Metallica's ...And Justice for All, it's not doable.

Without masters we wouldn't have got this ending to Foreplay/Long Time or this ending to Runnin' Down a Dream. We would have got fadeouts instead. While it doesn't apply to every song, the effort put in to use every aspect of the tracks to create these endings really seem more immersive than any FMV ever would.

Lack of masters makes it almost impossible to accurately chart drums and especially bass though. With master tracks the charters can hear every note, every little nuance. Without this becomes a lot harder and in some cases even impossible. For instance, just try to chart a bass track based on a MP3 or even FLAC from Metallica's ...And Justice for All, it's not doable.
AJFA has bass?

yes this is a joke

FyreWulff

It impacts the accuracy of charting. As pointed out above, it makes it really hard to accurately chart drums or even bass.

When you have split masters, you can re-rig the audio to push elements up out of the mix, clean it up, but also get proper and accurate beat-for-beat charts.

They can also do stuff like allow you to whammy the guitar or bass track and do the effects switch. Otherwise you'd be force to whammy the entire audio.

In very rare cases Harmonix will allow a song in that doesn't have entirely split masters - I Can See For Miles (RB3) is in this situation, where I think drums and bass or guitar are on the same stem and will cut each other out if someone misses. Beatles Rock Band had a lot of songs like this, which is partly why that game doesn't actually allow you to whammy and is very aggressive with playing DONK DORK PLONK noises when you start missing. Beatles was excusable though since 1) it was the f'ing Beatles and 2) it was have that song or not have it at all.

AJFA has bass?

yes this is a joke

<_<

it's a really good bass line too

Yes, this is something I really appreciate with Rock Band. Some songs are actually better mixed in the game than the original. A Whiter Shade of Pale is notoriously noisy, but it was cleaned up well. And while Suspicious Minds is silly as a playable song, it's a great arrangement - I didn't hear that choir in the music video version used in Singstar.

This is like DJ Max vs Theathrhythm. Some people go "oh, I know that song, that game must be better", and completely miss the fact that one game actually tracks exactly what you're doing and modifies the music to it, and the other basically counts what you're pressing while listening to a Youtube stream. One game is a music game and the other is "rhythm action" at best.

CloudWolf

AJFA has bass?

yes this is a joke

I remember a Harmonix blog from the old days in which the sound designers were talking about their favorite musical surprises (with regards to master tracks) and one of them said something along the lines of: "Blackened actually has a really great bass line!".

Southcott

Wow, first time I've played Birth In Reverse - first thing, what a terrible song. Secondly what kind of shitty charting is that?!

Initially in the set I had to play Super Unknown which is apparently 2 tiers harder but I easily five starred that on expert. Then BiV I scraped 4 stars.

I'll not be playing that again if I can avoid it!

Kolma

Wow, first time I've played Birth In Reverse - first thing, what a terrible song. Secondly what kind of shitty charting is that?!

Initially in the set I had to play Super Unknown which is apparently 2 tiers harder but I easily five starred that on expert. Then BiV I scraped 4 stars.

I'll not be playing that again if I can avoid it!

I first heard about them while watching SNL.
Was weird as all hell but I loved it and was super psyched when I heard it was in RB4
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vkehj_st-vincent-birth-in-reverse-snl_lifestyle

wilflare

managed to buy a copy of Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 2 (told the seller to keep the game but send me the code)
worked out pretty swell :3

now to patiently wait for all the exports to be done!

Might be old news but some of the Greenday tracks have turned up.
I'm downloading them now. I'm in EU on the Xbox One.
Doesn't seem to be any particular reason for which ones show up and which ones don't.

Think I'm about to try the microphone and sing a song. I've never sung in my entire life, I've even done happy birthday in monotone voices. Kind of nervous even though I'm alone, lol.

Kolma

Think I'm about to try the microphone and sing a song. I've never sung in my entire life, I've even done happy birthday in monotone voices. Kind of nervous even though I'm alone, lol.

I almost never sing in front of others but I love singing in the shower or in the car when I'm alone and sometimes in Rock Band when I'm feeling super daring.

Don't go for a high score and just have fun with it on medium.

I almost never sing in front of others but I love singing in the shower or in the car when I'm alone and sometimes in Rock Band when I'm feeling super daring.

Don't go for a high score and just have fun with it on medium.

Yup. No fail on, barely survive a song, but have a lot of fun. Oh, and make sure the wife isn't around so I don't torture her.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

My favorite part of rock band lol :D

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man, I gotta find the right calibration. Sometimes I feel I can play just fine, then there are other times where I just play like shit and I'm missing notes that I know I'm hitting. It's frustrating trying to find the right numbers for calibration.

Kolma

Currently working on a Rock Band 4 theme for the Xbox One!
Making a version for both regular dash and the preview dash with the extra 'What's on' Category.
Should have it released later tonight.
NXOE users.. you will have to wait till tomorrow if not later. I don't have NXOE and I've heard people having issues with moving UI/wallpapers. dunno if that's fixed or not...

there is also another variant that ditches the RB4 logo and fuses the Xbox One logo in the corner with the harmonix logo but it looks pretty bad...
12093493_489676567881983_1696157716_n.jpg

Here's the album with the various theme styles in 1080p
Hope you guys enjoy them!
http://imgur.com/a/ktmZp
KmaLchAm.png
V41CxJAm.png
MNuPiB6m.png
9vBYEkXm.png

The ones with longer strips are meant for those in the preview which contains the extra 'What's on'

Gorger

Man, I gotta find the right calibration. Sometimes I feel I can play just fine, then there are other times where I just play like shit and I'm missing notes that I know I'm hitting. It's frustrating trying to find the right numbers for calibration.

This is how I'm doing it... Started at 160 (video) with the help of automatic calibration, didn't quite work so I moved up to 180, worked better but still felt a little bit off during trickier parts. Tried 200 and played a couple of hard songs. Expert Start a Band 98%, Hail to the King 98 %, Halls of Valhalla 95%. This would not have been possible with my previous calibration, so it feels like I'm getting closer and closer of finding the sweet spot that suits my playstyle.

Remember the hitbox is very lenient on single easy notes and will usually hit despite your calibration being off. This changes during trickier songs where the notes gets closer together, which causes the hitboxes to shrink. This creates the illusion that the calibration is good at some sections, but bad at others. So it's best to test out calibration on hard songs, especially with a lot of HO/PO's. It was much easier to do calibration testings when you had practice mode and could decrease the speed, but until they fix that we'll have to do it the hard way.

Songs like My name is Jonas, Landslide, China Cat Sunflower and Hail to the King are good songs to fine tune the calibration.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This is how I'm doing it... Started at 160 (video) with the help of automatic calibration, didn't quite work so I moved up to 180, worked better but still felt a little bit off during trickier parts. Tried 200 and played a couple of hard songs. Expert Start a Band 98%, Hail to the King 98 %, Halls of Valhalla 95%. This would not have been possible with my previous calibration, so it feels like I'm getting closer and closer of finding the sweet spot that suits my playstyle.

Remember the hitbox is very lenient on single easy notes and will usually hit despite your calibration being off. This changes during trickier songs where the notes gets closer together, which causes the hitboxes to shrink. This creates the illusion that the calibration is good at some sections, but bad at others. So it's best to test out calibration on hard songs, especially with a lot of HO/PO's. It was much easier to do calibration testings when you had practice mode and could decrease the speed, but until they fix that we'll have to do it the hard way.

Songs like My name is Jonas, Landslide, China Cat Sunflower and Hail to the King are good songs to fine tune the calibration.
Thanks for the tips. That's exactly my problem. I play the strumming parts just fine, it's just when it comes to HO/PO's where I play like shit. It just doesn't register them that well for me. I'll keep trying.

So apparently the Guitar Hero Live guitar kinda works with Rock Band but is not remotely ideal. Top three frets are GRY, bottom three are BO and nothing, and the strum bar doesn't register but the dpad serves as a substitute.

opoth

Banned
Almost all of the Green Day export is up on US XB1 now. A few songs listed as Purchased still want to charge you - it's similar behavior to how the Blitz export was looking early in the morning the day it went up.

EDIT: Confirmed the whole thing is up now. 44 GD songs in my library!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently the Guitar Hero Live guitar kinda works with Rock Band but is not remotely ideal. Top three frets are GRY, bottom three are BO and nothing, and the strum bar doesn't register but the dpad serves as a substitute.
Eagerly awaiting the first TtFaF FC on a Live guitar.

Also eagerly awaiting some fucking response re: how SCEE takes the piss out of their paying customers yet again. "Highest grossing month in Playstation Store history" suck my balls.

Kolma

Almost all of the Green Day export is up on US XB1 now. A few songs listed as Purchased still want to charge you - it's similar behavior to how the Blitz export was looking early in the morning the day it went up.

On this the day that I work all day long :(

*edit
Weirdly... It said I owned and let me download "¡Viva La Gloria!" When I don't...
And it won't let me download "¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl)" When that was part of the on disc soundtrack...

Hopefully they fix it soon but till then, free song?

Lady Gaia

Is it just me or did the 3.10 firmware for PS4 make setting up a USB microphone way easier? Previously I had to unplug a microphone and plug it back in to have it assigned to my controller. Now it just happens automatically. Nice.

Darksora250

Neo Member
Hey guys,

So I was able to get all of Green day outside of Viva La Gloria (Little girl). So I'm wondering whats going on with that.

Also, I got 6 out of the 8 songs within Ozzy Osbourn pack to download (Still missing the two songs that are pack only) and I got one part of the rush 2112 pack "The Dream, Soliloquy, Grand Finale". All of them showed up on my download list.

Xbox one player btw.

Edit: Was able to get all three parts of Rush's 2112 but not the complete 20 minute version.

Kolma

Hey guys,

So I was able to get all of Green day outside of Viva La Gloria (Little girl). So I'm wondering whats going on with that.

Also, I got 6 out of the 8 songs within Ozzy Osbourn pack to download (Still missing the two songs that are pack only) and I got one part of the rush 2112 pack "The Dream, Soliloquy, Grand Finale". All of them showed up on my download list.

Xbox one player btw.

Harmonix or MSFT goofed and put Viva La Gloria with the export access instead of Viva La Gloria (Little Girl)

Hey guys,

Xbox one player btw.

Edit: Was able to get all three parts of Rush's 2112 but not the complete 20 minute version.

Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded my Ozzy 8-pack and 2112 songs.

Top Bottom