• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Just saw this shit in the XB1 section of the DLC compatibility spreadsheet..

This doesn't mean what I think it means does it? That the medley is being given up on completely and the 3 singles are all we'll be getting for re-download? Pissed if so. There's similar wording for a Snoop Dogg single and a few other songs and the Ozzy singles.

On the "Unsupported DLC" tab, it says "bundle only singles not currently support" for both that and the two remaining Ozzy songs. It's not necessarily permanent.

On the "Unsupported DLC" tab, it says "bundle only singles not currently support" for both that and the two remaining Ozzy songs. It's not necessarily permanent.

Good. Because that wording on the XB1 support chart sounds dodgy as fuck.

I'm also morbidly curious to see what expired DLC will be re-downloadable to those still entitled to it. You can take "Don't Stop Believing" away for all I care HMX, but don't you dare take away "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and the Electric Six pack otherwise I'll whine and complain on message boards whilst shaking my fist.

Yet, for many of us that brought it into RB3 at launch, it isn't a problem.

That's lovely and all, and I'm pretty sure I've played Rock Band 3 on my Live account (so I believe I'm ok), but the fact that we don't even know is absurd. I bought the game so I could bring those in; if I don't get the exports due to some technicality, it's getting bounced.

I knew this was going to be an issue, because it seems like they're flying by the seat of their pants, but this is real bad. I shouldn't have to possibly buy another game just to get exports that I already have, that's nonsense.

Not sure if this has been answered already or not, but I had exported Green Day: Rock Band a good while ago; the problem is, my original PS3's HDD got wiped and as I recently booted up Rock Band 3 in anticipation for 4, the only export that I can access in-game is the Rock Band 2 export.

Should I worry that I won't have to access the Green Day stuff? I went through my download list and I found the export (and re-downloaded it just in case), but I still cannot access it through Rock Band 3.

FyreWulff

So I've got a Rock Band Export Key from way back in the day, and a Rock Band 2 one too, IIRC. Is it my understanding that I need to bring this stuff into Rock Band 3 to get into 4?

This thing is really a shitshow. What a nightmare.

Yes, because the way the rights work, only RB3 can actually redeem the export. Not RB4.

edit: this only applies to Rock Band 2. Lego and Green Day can technically export from within their discs. RB1 only needs you to buy the key.

Ashilyn

That's lovely and all, and I'm pretty sure I've played Rock Band 3 on my Live account (so I believe I'm ok), but the fact that we don't even know is absurd. I bought the game so I could bring those in; if I don't get the exports due to some technicality, it's getting bounced.

I knew this was going to be an issue, because it seems like they're flying by the seat of their pants, but this is real bad. I shouldn't have to possibly buy another game just to get exports that I already have, that's nonsense.

I mean it's bad, and I doubt it'll come to that, but an effort like this is really unprecedented in games. It sucks that there's so little detail and clarity, but I'm willing to give Harmonix time and benefit of the doubt given that they are definitely flying by the seat of their pants because no one's ever done something like this before.

Yes, because the way the rights work, only RB3 can actually redeem the export. Not RB4.

edit: this only applies to Rock Band 2. Lego and Green Day can technically export from within their discs. RB1 only needs you to buy the key.

So basically it's a game by game basis on how exports work? We'll probably find things out more as things get past the launch jitters, which will be helpful.

I mean it's bad, and I doubt it'll come to that, but an effort like this is really unprecedented in games. It sucks that there's so little detail and clarity, but I'm willing to give Harmonix time and benefit of the doubt given that they are definitely flying by the seat of their pants because no one's ever done something like this before.

I'm all for innovation, and it's clear they're setting the table to get things rolling again. They absolutely nailed some things (old instrument compatibility is a boon, and it works perfectly), then fumbled on some others.

Kolma

Just noticed this in my Xbox One messages guys.

"The New Xbox One Experience (NXOE) is on the horizon! In preparation, we'll soon begin moving all Preview consoles over to the NXOE. If you do not wish to move, please opt out of Preview from the Registration tile in the Xbox Preview Dashboard app."

Seems are are all going NXOE (those on preview)
Right after I made my RB4 theme too :(

So basically it's a game by game basis on how exports work? We'll probably find things out more as things get past the launch jitters, which will be helpful.

I'm all for innovation, and it's clear they're setting the table to get things rolling again. They absolutely nailed some things (old instrument compatibility is a boon, and it works perfectly), then fumbled on some others.

And you have to remember that the real reason you have to export RB2 into RB3 if you want to do it is because the licenses expired, and has very little to do with tech. I'm fairly sure that if the songs were still licensed, they'd have built the ability to redeem the codes into Rock Band 4.

vg260

What's going on with Rock Band 3 DLC on the Xbox 360? I was trying to buy some old songs on the Xbox 360 and it was giving an error that the offer had changed and wasn't available. Are the songs no longer available to purchase on the 360 or not available while they're tinkering around with pricing?

Ummm. Did anybody see this in the FAQ Harmonix put out today?

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/e...out-previous-game-soundtracks-in-rock-band-4/

Q: When can I download RBN Tracks?
A: We know fans love Rock Band Network tracks, and we'd love to have them be a part of Rock Band 4 in the future. At this time we are focused on bringing core DLC and exported content over to Rock Band 4. Once all that is working, we plan to turn our focus to RBN and the logistical challenges related to bringing as much of that content forward as possible. So, no promises at this time but we'll share any news as soon as we have it.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I had always assumed that was the case anyway, especially after one of the RBN authors posted that they actually had all the rights and could release the music if RBN still existed on next-gen consoles.

That was probably Ozone (because he loves talking about this stuff ;) ), but depending on how well authors put together their contracts it could apply to a lot of us. Mine were pretty much written by an entertainment industry lawyer (who happened to be one of my early clients), so I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to update. Even sent Nick an obnoxious little email offering to help with the logistics on any of my tracks. (Sorry Nick!)

Kolma

Anyone notice the List/blog update they sent out is missing Country Track Pack 1?

Has anyone RMA'd any RB4 instruments yet?
I've noticed my Guitar likes to randomly not say that I strummed when I did... especially when it's me doing alt strums (up and down) Like if there's a series of notes it will decide to miss one of them.

This isn't the only issue though, my d-pad is wonky (hit up while hitting right unless I hit slightly down right to go just right)
The two halves of the guitar aren't flush at various parts.
Whammy feels worn in since I got it and droops as if its a couple years old.

udiie

Has there been any word on restocks for the legacy adapter or standalone instruments?

agCDoYX.png

pacman85

$35 to get the RB3 setlist kind of stings. But... Free Bird is worth it.
You are saying $35 stings when people that bought RB3 day 1 are having to pay $75. Not that bad depending on how you look at it....as a day 1 adopter since RB2 I'll happily fork over another $15 to make sure I get ALL 83 songs from RB3.

pacman85

Just saw this shit in the XB1 section of the DLC compatibility spreadsheet..

This doesn't mean what I think it means does it? That the medley is being given up on completely and the 3 singles are all we'll be getting for re-download? Pissed if so. There's similar wording for a Snoop Dogg single and a few other songs and the Ozzy singles.
Hey don't worry if they can't get the full 2112 working you can just make a setlist of the 3 singles and play them back-to-back-to-back. Oh wait nevermind, that's not in RB4.....

FyreWulff

It would probably be a good idea to pass around RB3 discs and have your friends do the calibration achievement (which can be done with a regular controller) right about now if you want to roll the dice and they're thin on money. I'm going to assume right now it's trophy/achievement based since it's the easier thing to check on RB4's end that they could patch, rather than re-implementing reading RB3's leaderboards invisible on RB4's backend for recorded scores to pop being able to buy the export.

It would probably be a good idea to pass around RB3 discs and have your friends do the calibration achievement (which can be done with a regular controller) right about now if you want to roll the dice and they're thin on money. I'm going to assume right now it's trophy/achievement based since it's the easier thing to check on RB4's end that they could patch, rather than re-implementing reading RB3's leaderboards invisible on RB4's backend for recorded scores to pop being able to buy the export.

Couldn't people also just hook up a usb mic and sing a song to register on leaderboards?

FyreWulff

Couldn't people also just hook up a usb mic and sing a song to register on leaderboards?

Yeah, that works.

actually wait, you can just find a song with percussion notes and hit them with the A button (X on Playstation) to record a score. don't even need a mic.

off the top of my head Space Oddity and Free Bird have vocal percussion for sure. I spent a lot of time in harmonies so I can't quite list them down offhand

I haven't been following closely - if I buy a pack, will I be able to DL it yet? I've already got the various singles I bought on sale a few weeks back DLd with no dramas. Wondering if I should buy just several songs I want ins ingle form, or get them in pack form.

udiie

So that means the chances of me actually getting the game tomorrow as promised are quite small? Fuck it, I'm going to buy it in-store.

mind you, my order is from amazon.ca
idk how stock is in the US or elsewhere, but in Canada it is non-existent

My girlfriend and I only have one copy of RB3. It didn't quite make much sense for us to have two copies. We've both played the shit out of it on our separate 360s. Are we okay?

I haven't been following closely - if I buy a pack, will I be able to DL it yet? I've already got the various singles I bought on sale a few weeks back DLd with no dramas. Wondering if I should buy just several songs I want ins ingle form, or get them in pack form.

If you're in the US, it shouldn't be a problem outside of a couple packs that had pack-exclusive songs (2112 pack, Ozzy Ozbourne pack being the two biggest examples) or the Queen 01 pack, which is having an issue because it's songs are also in a different Queen pack. If you're anywhere else in the world, you might have a problem with downloading the songs in the pack.

My girlfriend and I only have one copy of RB3. It didn't quite make much sense for us to have two copies. We've both played the shit out of it on our separate 360s. Are we okay?

Until they tell us exactly how the verification will work (patch, leaderboards, trophies), we won't know yet. I'm honestly hoping they put up a web tool that allows you to enter your PSN or XBL ID and it'll tell you whether you're eligible or not (and that they get it up before the ability to buy RB3 on Games on Demand expires).

Kolma

I can't believe how short notice they are giving us for GoD version getting delisted...

I always wanted to buy it digital just never got around to it.. Didn't have gold when it was super cheap and I already have 2 retail copies of it so it just never made sense money wise..

Now RB4 is out so it makes even less sense to do... Here's hoping for one final sale next Tuesday.

I have a weird sleep schedule/possble insomnia and couldn't play RB1-3 as often as I would've liked. Can I get audio exclusively through headphones like other PS4 apps/games? I mean if I was playing guitar could I plug headphones into a controller and sit it beside me?

I have a weird sleep schedule/possble insomnia and couldn't play RB1-3 as often as I would've liked. Can I get audio exclusively through headphones like other PS4 apps/games? I mean if I was playing guitar could I plug headphones into a controller and sit it beside me?

You could use the Wireless Gold Headset. It's what I normally use late at night to get gameplay audio.

Hey guys! Good news about exports!

I know I'm sure as hell in the mood for good news. We gotta wait till the December update, though. And no details if they're cutting anything (please don't cut Misery Business, please please please). But we're less in the dark now!! That's good :)

that's... not really good news as for me the wording implies that that the other exports will follow only some time after December.

I'm glad I didn't buy the game yet. Now I can wait at very least till December for whatever feature and content updates they have in the pipeline.
Might still not buy if the other exports aren't there yet and at that point I can just wait till the game is cheaper early next year and buy the solo guitar with it.

Is this confirmed?

wow... truly indie development if they even have to to the shilling themselves ;P

zulux21

$35 to get the RB3 setlist kind of stings. But... Free Bird is worth it.

think of it this way.

average cost of a single song
$2

average cost of a 6 song pack
$10

cost of the 80 song rock band 3 pack
$35

:p

also is there a trick to getting the blitz songs on the ps4?

I downloaded blitz on my ps3
I downloaded the soundtrack to blitz on the ps3
I played the song one week by barenaked ladies on my ps3

yet while blitz shows one week in my library it still wants me to pay $2 for it if I click on it in the in game store o_O

ViciousDS

Banned
after two days of GH:L.............no more, I'm done with it.....can't stand the bar overcharting, its utterly stupid.

I'm coming back to rock band, even with a single layer of 5 buttons the charts are closer to reality than the GH:L ones. GHTV also.....got really, really fucking boring....thats all you do! I like my custom character with unlocking clothes and stuff. Plus tours and crowd sing alongs are far better in quality.

Just........for the love of all that is good MadCatz give us a damn drum firmware update fixing the roll issues!

think of it this way.

average cost of a single song
$2

average cost of a 6 song pack
$10

cost of the 80 song rock band 3 pack
$35

:p

also is there a trick to getting the blitz songs on the ps4?

I downloaded blitz on my ps3
I downloaded the soundtrack to blitz on the ps3
I played the song one week by barenaked ladies on my ps3

yet while blitz shows one week in my library it still wants me to pay $2 for it if I click on it in the in game store o_O

Check the "My Add-ons" section of the game on the PS4. The tracks should be in there.

where is "my add-ons" located? I don't see anything like that in the in game store at all.

You need to go to the game's icon on the PS4 dash itself, then scroll down.

Edit: I also see you mentioned that Blitz tracks still ask you to pay for them in-store-- that won't change. You'll be able to download all the tracks via "my add-ons" but it doesn't recognize this as a purchase in-game, so while the songs will appear in your library, it'll still ask you to pay if you scroll through the store.

zulux21

You need to go to the game's icon on the PS4 dash itself, then scroll down.

Edit: I also see you mentioned that Blitz tracks still ask you to pay for them in-store-- that won't change. You'll be able to download all the tracks via "my add-ons" but it doesn't recognize this as a purchase in-game, so while the songs will appear in your library, it'll still ask you to pay if you scroll through the store.

thanks, all. I found them and am installing.

glad to have some real barenaked ladies on my rock band 4 now.

now I just need them to add my favorite BNL song, falling for the first time.

opoth

Banned
that's... not really good news as for me the wording implies that that the other exports will follow only some time after December.

Considering they have the Green Day export listed as "TBD" and it's already available on US XB1 as of yesterday - and we got Blitz last week - and the fact that it's probably less work to sort entitlements to existing content as opposed to how they're rolling out a brand new export pack for RB3 that will be available in December...there's a decent chance that we'll have all/most of what's been promised before then, despite the TBD status.

Looking at the December patch and what's coming along with it, I get the feeling that they at least want the content (maybe delisted songs aside) to be pretty much completely available before the holidays.

ViciousDS

Banned
Considering they have the Green Day export listed as "TBD" and it's already available on US XB1 as of yesterday - and we got Blitz last week - and the fact that it's probably less work to sort entitlements to existing content as opposed to how they're rolling out a brand new export pack for RB3 that will be available in December...there's a decent chance that we'll have all/most of what's been promised before then, despite the TBD status.

Looking at the December patch and what's coming along with it, I get the feeling that they at least want the content (maybe delisted songs aside) to be pretty much completely available before the holidays.

wait green day exports are working on xbox 1?

aawwww ssshhiiiittttttt totally rocking out when I get home!

Top Bottom