• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Wonder if or when "Bass Boost" is going to be added. Playing bass is shit at the moment without it. And that's my favourite instrument!

Oh, and individual star and percentage tracking on the quickplay list for both guitar and bass. Only shows the first one you play and doesn't recognize you switching instruments.

They mentioned "surround sound" in the October updates notes, but only talked about "crowd and ambient" sounds... I wish they'd just make it like RB3. Dynamic audio based on which instrument you're playing, with actual bass coming from the subwoofer channel.

The sound in this game is sooooo flat.

Also agree with you on the score tracking thing. Just feels so half-baked.

I love that the recently downloaded section goes up to 100, but it's kind of useless for me since my old dlc is now just listed in the order it was redownloaded, if I'm not mistaken. I wish the 50 songs i bought on sale right before rb4 launch showed up there.

I have decided on other dlc I want to buy now, but am actually considering waiting until after exports so that the new dlc will show up in recent instead.

CloudWolf

Okay, I finally got Rock Band 4 (yay!) and spent my entire playtime calibrating (not so yay). Goddamn, I miss my CRT on which I played previous Rock Band games.

Anyway, anyone have tips to do this the easy way (I haven't got a RB2/RB3/RB4 guitar, so no auto calibration for me), because right now it's even impossible for me to play I Will Follow without missing a ton of notes.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I love that the recently downloaded section goes up to 100, but it's kind of useless for me since my old dlc is now just listed in the order it was redownloaded, if I'm not mistaken. I wish the 50 songs i bought on sale right before rb4 launch showed up there.

I have decided on other dlc I want to buy now, but am actually considering waiting until after exports so that the new dlc will show up in recent instead.

thats how it worked in rb3, it doesn't look at your purchase history and determine what the order is.

Anyway, anyone have tips to do this the easy way (I haven't got a RB2/RB3/RB4 guitar, so no auto calibration for me), because right now it's even impossible for me to play I Will Follow without missing a ton of notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GZdZX9f_-U
Good video guide

I went with several songs with a bunch of chords and was able to tune it that way.

tomhan

If I exported Rock Band 1 songs to Rock Band 2 but never bought or played Rock Band 3 am I pretty much out of luck from getting songs from either Rock Band 1 or 2 into Rock Band 4.

Or can I still export songs from Rock Band 1 into Rock Band 3 (after I buy it before Oct. 30) and then the songs from both of those games will be exported to Rock Band 4 when available?

Yaari

If I exported Rock Band 1 songs to Rock Band 2 but never bought or played Rock Band 3 am I pretty much out of luck from getting songs from either Rock Band 1 or 2 into Rock Band 4.

Or can I still export songs from Rock Band 1 into Rock Band 3 (after I buy it before Oct. 30) and then the songs from both of those games will be exported to Rock Band 4 when available?

You exported RB1 to work in RB2, so those are good for RB4 too. In the case of RB2, you will need to export them through RB3.

The way to think of RB songs is basically:

DLC: DLC just carries forward
Disc Songs: Disc songs live on the disc unless you export. Exported disc songs behave like DLC.

You exported RB1, so those will come over. You didn't export RB2, so those won't come over unless you perform the export (which is done inside RB3).

tomhan

The way to think of RB songs is basically:

DLC: DLC just carries forward
Disc Songs: Disc songs live on the disc unless you export. Exported disc songs behave like DLC.

You exported RB1, so those will come over. You didn't export RB2, so those won't come over unless you perform the export (which is done inside RB3).

Thanks! And just to verify, in order to export in RB2 to RB3 I need lose some dignity and beg for a new code from Microsoft / Harmonix and even then I probably won't get one?

Thanks! And just to verify, in order to export in RB2 to RB3 I need lose some dignity and beg for a new code from Microsoft / Harmonix and even then I probably won't get one?

If you're on 360, some people have said you can just attempt to enter the code in your manual until you run out of space, and that will work.

Edit: And if it doesn't, EA are the people you're supposed to beg for a new code.

Yaari

But on that note, it has been a very long time since I've seen anyone claim succes in attempting to get one from EA.

So that is probably going to be very difficult.

Gleethor

But on that note, it has been a very long time since I've seen anyone claim succes in attempting to get one from EA.

So that is probably going to be very difficult.
I'm very thankful that I asked them like a month before they (mostly) stopped giving codes.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So they suddenly announced that rb3 will disappear from xbl.

Should we be concerned about the rb3 music store closing too?

In the event they decide to close down the in game rock band store (not saying they are) for whatever reason, you are capable of downloading dlc songs from outside the game in add ons for both the ps3 and 360.

Digital version of RB3 is going away because of music rights expiring.

Nothing about that should impact the music store. DLC is licensed differently, and expiring rights that can't be extended have been a thing that have been happening for about a year or more now in dribs and drabs. This is why, say, you can't buy Blood Sugar Sex Magik any more.

FyreWulff

No. Just their rights to sell (or more accurately) manufacture new copies of RB3 is expiring. Digital copies count as manufacturing so they have to pull RB3 from the store because they sign music rights for about 5 years.

They still have the right to update the game etc.

U2NUMB

So the Blitz songs still show up as 1.99 for me. Do I have to do it in game? Would like to use the web if possible... the DLC is so frustrating so far...

Edit: Yep in game it works..

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
So, um, Still of the Night by Whitesnake is hilariously broken. The guitar solo repeats three times. I'm going to uninstall it and download again.

sasliquid

Gotta rock band party next week.... Really want my Love Will Tear Us Apart, Never Gonna Give You Up, Who, David Bowie, Oasis and Talking Heads songs to be available to download asap

Besides achievement hunting (which is going well, I'm onto grinding career stuff), my Rock Band 4 Goal is to Gold Star every song on disk.

And it's going okay! I just Gold Starred Spiders and Prayer on Bass, leading my total number of Gold Stars at 35/65. Some of these songs are really gonna kick me in the butt, I can tell ya that!

WoolyNinja

So should I be seeing the Rock Band Blitz songs as free on Rock Band 4 if I played Rock Band Blitz or was there an export of some sort for that as well?

EDIT: nevermind found it earlier in this thread

FyreWulff

Anyone else feel like Harmonix dropped the ball by not releasing Johnny B. Goode this week for DLC?

probably too early to have usable masters (basically anything pre-70s is a crapshoot, which is why anything before then isn't represented much in Rock Band)

Finally with the newest NXE update, the downloaded songs don't take several seconds to load when picking a song. Thought it was a problem with the game at first, but soon realized it was the beta dashboard causing the loading problems.

Also, finally played every song, and got 5 stars on them all. I guess this is a mini review of the setlist.

Biggest problem in getting a 5 star score was Miracle Man. Holy crap. Could never get the timing down properly. And fuck Dream Genie. I had to bust out vocals to get the 5 star. Never wanna play that crap again.

Also whoever was saying that Cedarwood Road had mixing problems, I could tell it did as well. It was hard to hear the guitar at certain parts.

All in all the setlist was a bit better than I initially thought of it when it was fully revealed. It's the weakest of the 4, but its decent.

In US, I bought Come On Eileen by Save Ferris in the rb4 music store.

Trying to download it on x360 tries to charge me again. I thought someone recently said they worked going backwards for them.

vg260

I feel like I've spent more time calibrating and trying to get my gently used RB2 guitar buttons fixed to work right than actually playing. It's a shame the buttons go to crap over times because I've treated them really well. Something still feels off and I can't tell if it's the guitar or calibration.

The more I play though, the more I disappointed I get with the game as it needs so much more work. The sound is especially disappointing.

The sound lacks so much oomph. Bring back the classic overdrive activation sound and song end bass woosh. I loved the OD sound effect kicking in and the end song sound effect was the best. I felt like those were signature Rock Band effects they abandoned for no good reason in RB3, and now have toned them down to the point of them being nonexistant. Guitar Hero got really obtrusive with all their stuff in-song, but RB never did. The sound impact in RB2 felt perfect. It's my favorite in the series in terms of visual and sound presentation.

FyreWulff

Trying to download it on x360 tries to charge me again. I thought someone recently said they worked going backwards for them.

On Xbox you need to buy legacy songs on the 360 first because Microsoft sandboxes the consoles from each other.

On Playstation you can do this since Sony has always treated multi-platform DLC and games as the same item in their backend.

Ninhead

Sadly, you did it backwards. If you buy on 360, you get the RB4 version and the RB3 one. If you buy on XBO, you only get RB4.

EDIT: Beaten.

Has Harmonix ever considered revisiting the Black Sabbath DLC with master tracks? I love War Pigs, NIB, and Sweet Leaf but I want the originals :(

Guitar Hero managed to get the Sweet Leaf masters. Hopefully we see some Sabbath soon.

The DLC guessing thread on the Harmonix Forums has a ton of great ideas for Halloween DLC. The Cure pack, King Diamond pack, Rocky Horror pack, Alice Cooper pack, Helloween pack, Bat Out of Hell, Dead Man's Party, This is Halloween, Ghost Riders in the Sky...

Yaari

If they do something Halloween themed then I'll probably get to save some $$$'s, (This is good!) I doubt I'll know many of those songs.

SleazyC

So reading reviews and browsing this thread I am super torn between picking this game up now and waiting until it becomes a bit fleshed out feature wise and track wise.

The entry price for the band in the box is definitely the main reason I am holding off, at 300EUR to pick up.

I only know it works the other way around (360 --> Xbone). I don't think they were expecting anyone to try the other way around

Guitar Hero managed to get the Sweet Leaf masters. Hopefully we see some Sabbath soon.

The DLC guessing thread on the Harmonix Forums has a ton of great ideas for Halloween DLC. The Cure pack, King Diamond pack, Rocky Horror pack, Alice Cooper pack, Helloween pack, Bat Out of Hell, Dead Man's Party, This is Halloween, Ghost Riders in the Sky...
WHAT? I didn't know the Sweet Leaf masters were in GH :(

I'd be fine with a Worshiping Satan pack or something with NIB and other hellish songs.
THIS SO MUCH!
Been wanting to play War Pigs for ages... but not as the cover.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, the Black Sabbath 1 pack is just covers? I bought it without checking :-(

I thought the big thing between RBN 1.0 and 2.0 was the ability to add RB3 features? I have been kind of avoiding 1.0 songs since my main draw is pro-drum tracks (and to a lesser extent pro-keys). But the handful of tracks I have picked up that are RBN 1.0 all have pro-drum options so far. Does it map the pro-drums automatically somehow and do all tracks have the option by default? How does it know cymbal hits from drum hits? If so my options just grew dramatically!

PedroRVD

I guess, at this point, the hope for ION drums support on Xbox One is gone. Harmonix is completely ignoring tweets about it and it looks like they just don't care.

Has anybody actually tried this mod?

http://imgur.com/a/WKq6B

Is it risky for my drums? Does it work without crosstalk, dropped notes, etc? Does it work with any model? Or just with the EL drums?

This is so frustrating.

I thought the big thing between RBN 1.0 and 2.0 was the ability to add RB3 features? I have been kind of avoiding 1.0 songs since my main draw is pro-drum tracks (and to a lesser extent pro-keys). But the handful of tracks I have picked up that are RBN 1.0 all have pro-drum options so far. Does it map the pro-drums automatically somehow and do all tracks have the option by default? How does it know cymbal hits from drum hits? If so my options just grew dramatically!
There are pro drums. Technically. Pro notes are added, but it's all automated and just wrong. Pro drums are a 2.0 thing.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I guess, at this point, the hope for ION drums support on Xbox One is gone. Harmonix is completely ignoring tweets about it and it looks like they just don't care.

Has anybody actually tried this mod?

http://imgur.com/a/WKq6B

Is it risky for my drums? Does it work without crosstalk, dropped notes, etc? Does it work with any model? Or just with the EL drums?

This is so frustrating.

I've pretty much experienced the same thing which is why I won't be purchasing RB4.

There are pro drums. Technically. Pro notes are added, but it's all automated and just wrong. Pro drums are a 2.0 thing.

Good to know, thanks. The algorithm did pretty well on the track I just tried. The hi-hat, crash and ride placements were dead on, but I guess it will depend on the track. Still, good to have the option. I can deal with a little flub here.

Edit: sorry, just to be clear in case anyone casually reading gets their hopes up about RBN tracks in RB4. I am flipping back and forth between RB3 messing with stuff. No RBN tracks yet.

Top Bottom