• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

CloudWolf

I don't mind the game coming with songs I dislike. I'll even play songs I wouldn't normally listen to from time to time, but I draw the line at songs I absolutely despise. The last tour of the campaign route I chose was named something like "Indie Legends." It seemed like a safe bet, and the game gave zero indication what kinds of choices I'd have in music. Indie stuff sounded good.

Instead it was a predetermined six song set with one song I disliked (Valhalla), one that was okay (Rock and Roll Hoochie-Koo), followed by four that just got progressively worse and worse to the point where I had to turn the sound virtually off and play mostly from visual cues. It still drove my wife out of the room and I couldn't bear to play the game for days afterwards.

Why, Harmonix? Good grief. If I could have gotten my money back on all the DLC I'd bought since RB4 came out and gotten a refund on the game in that instant, I'd have been tempted. Don't make people play songs that they absolutely hate. Give us a rating system because right now I can't pick any of the vague voting options for fear that one of these tracks will emerge again.
Regarding the last part of the tour, the name is just for flavour/different free stuff. It's pretty standard that the final batch of songs you play in the career mode of any rhythm game consists of the hardest songs the game has to offer. This has been the case in almost every Rock Band and Guitar Hero game since Guitar Hero 1 (the only exceptions being Green Day, Beatles and Guitar Hero Live).

Also, I'd love to see the lighter ratings and the filters return. Sure, you can use the search function to filter by genre or decade, but to access "Search" you have to scroll all the way up. They should've at least made it so that when you press a certain button you automatically open the search function, because right now it's super annoying to use for people like me that have a ton of songs.

I don't mind the game coming with songs I dislike. I'll even play songs I wouldn't normally listen to from time to time, but I draw the line at songs I absolutely despise. The last tour of the campaign route I chose was named something like "Indie Legends." It seemed like a safe bet, and the game gave zero indication what kinds of choices I'd have in music. Indie stuff sounded good.

Instead it was a predetermined six song set with one song I disliked (Valhalla), one that was okay (Rock and Roll Hoochie-Koo), followed by four that just got progressively worse and worse to the point where I had to turn the sound virtually off and play mostly from visual cues. It still drove my wife out of the room and I couldn't bear to play the game for days afterwards.

Why, Harmonix? Good grief. If I could have gotten my money back on all the DLC I'd bought since RB4 came out and gotten a refund on the game in that instant, I'd have been tempted. Don't make people play songs that they absolutely hate. Give us a rating system because right now I can't pick any of the vague voting options for fear that one of these tracks will emerge again.

To be fair, that's the campaign. I don't know if you can fault the game's own campaign mode for asking you to actually play the songs that come with the game, even if you hate them. It does suck that you have zero insight into what songs are in a given career show's setlist, though, if it's set in advance--that's a step backwards from Rock Band 1 and 2, I think.

I probably wouldn't care very much what songs are in a particular setlist, except that Queens of the Stone Age and Disturbed completely wreck me on drums and without a practice mode I think I'd rather just avoid those songs rather than take my fail (or potentially two!) during a set.

To be fair, that's the campaign. I don't know if you can fault the game's own campaign mode for asking you to actually play the songs that come with the game, even if you hate them. It does suck that you have zero insight into what songs are in a given career show's setlist, though, if it's set--that's a step backwards from Rock Band 1 and 2, I think.

For sets that have pre-set songs, you can view what songs are in the set by pressing yellow.

CloudWolf

At the very least, I'd like to be able to tag certain songs so that they don't show up in voting for Shows Mode.
To add to that, they need to remove (or at least allow us to disable) the "long song", "short song" and "song from <year>" stuff. Sure, those are fun for solo play but for parties it's terrible. This actually happened to me:

Roommate: "Let's do a modern hit, this should be fun"
Game: "Dead Black (Heart of Ice)"
We: -_-

Gorger

To add to that, they need to remove (or at least allow us to disable) the "long song", "short song" and "song from <year>" stuff. Sure, those are fun for solo play but for parties it's terrible. This actually happened to me:

Roommate: "Let's do a modern hit, this should be fun"
Game: "Dead Black (Heart of Ice)"
We: -_-

One of my favorite songs on the disc.

SFenton

I love "All the Rage Back Home", but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't miffed that Harmonix left it as a fade out instead of engineering a better solid stop.

Okay, since I seem to luck into UI tips every time: am I missing the place where I can restart a song in the middle of a show AFTER I've failed it? I see in the pause menu that I can restart/change difficulty in the middle of a song, but after I've failed I only get "Next Song," a checkbox for No Fail Mode, and "Finish Show."

also, god, fuck Dream Theater

Bauer91

One of my favorite songs on the disc.

It kind of gives me an Opeth vibe and it has a great guitar chart so yeah, agreed.

Apparently Rock Band Road Crew members got a quiz with some questions indicating that we might be getting some more Rush and Dream Theater DLC. That would be awesome.

Uncle AJ

New drum firmware update is great. I can use my Destroyer Pedal again and I'm hitting everything I should be hitting now.

I wish I could find one of these aftermarket pedals now :( Destroyer Pedal, Rock Pedal and Omega Pedal are all not in production and I'm getting no results on EBay or CAG.

wilflare

are the issues all resolved now?
if they are, I guess I'll just sell off my Beatles drumset.
(I'll keep the Hofner Bass, Mic Stand, Mic).
I know the Beatles drumset is better but RB4 drumset offer firmware upgrades (lol) and compatibility with cymbals

Hello friends!

I've been away from Rock Band 4 for a bit (for good reason, my interest took a sharp hit for literally anything else), but I'm back to it with the NXE update and after a terrible evening of the NXE update throwing a tantrum, it's all good now... except with slightly more crashing than I had before. Urgh

Anyway, I've been hunting achievements pretty hard lately and I FINALLY got every career related achievement. Which took a long while because I hate the campaign and playing more than 1 song in a row is exhausting and I needed lots of breaks. Anyway, I finally got Tour of Booty which was the last one I needed, so I only have these left
Stage Presents
Case in Points
Locked In
Smooth Cooperators

I WOULD have had Smooth Cooperators if Amazon shipped me my Adapter in time for my party grumble grumble.

Anyway, even though the NXE is kind of terrible and a huge stepdown from the incredibly excellent original OS, it did make me realize that Game Hubs were a thing which are awesome and I use them all of the time now. So cool.

Kolma

I wish I could find one of these aftermarket pedals now :( Destroyer Pedal, Rock Pedal and Omega Pedal are all not in production and I'm getting no results on EBay or CAG.

I remember really wanting one of those when I finally got RB2 for Wii...
Fast forward a bit to last year when I worked at a Play N Trade and a random drum pedal came in I thought someone had made themselves.
It didn't work all that great to my liking but it was neat as hell and I was the only hardcore RB player in the store so I took it home.

Fast forward to today and seeing you say detroyer pedal and I'm all "that sounds familiar"

...My face when I look up pictures and it's the pedal I have.

Thanks to you I learned how to adjust it properly after watching some videos and it works like a champ!

I had no idea about it having two level of height and adjusting the spring tension and stuff like that. I just though the parts were worn and that's why it wiggled between what I thought was one level with a worn holder. Tightened it super tight and now I can adjust to the higher level and it's super comfy.

Roussow

Right, so a mate finally picked this up -- he told me he'll grab a couple of dlc songs based on my suggestions before we give this a go.

What are the absolute must play dlc tracks to pick up?

Right, so a mate finally picked this up -- he told me he'll grab a couple of dlc songs based on my suggestions before we give this a go.

Paramore Pack 01
"Crushcrushcrush" by Paramore
"Pressure" by Paramore
"Airplanes" by B.o.B featuring Hayley Williams are MUST buys and Priority #1 imo

jond76

Banned

There are bound to be songs you know, those are the best ones to get to start. Especially if you're thing to be singing.

Gorger

It kind of gives me an Opeth vibe and it has a great guitar chart so yeah, agreed.

Apparently Rock Band Road Crew members got a quiz with some questions indicating that we might be getting some more Rush and Dream Theater DLC. That would be awesome.

It gives me early Dimmu Borgir feels like Stormblåst era, one of the few genres in Black Metal I can listen to.

And more Rush + Dream Theater is awesome, two of my favorite bands. It's too bad Europe is still struggling with major DLC problems and a completely broken RB4 shop. There is still no communication from either Harmonix or SCEE on an ETA, and many Europeans are getting really angry. We still have no new DLC prior the ones that came with the pre-orders, and there are hundreds of songs that are just missing with content no found, even though you can buy them in the store.

CloudWolf

My absolute favorites per instrument:

Guitar: (my main)
Stone Roses - Love Spreads
Grateful Dead - China Cat Sunflower
Grateful Dead - Franklin's Tower
Wolfmother - Joker and the Thief
Fleetwood Mac - Landslide
Allman Brothers Band - Blue Sky
Allman Brothers Band - Jessica
Richard Thompson - The Way That It Shows
Billy Joel - She's Always a Woman
Pearl Jam - Black
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Lenny
Rush - Working Man (Vault Edition)
Iron Maiden - Hallowed by thy Name
Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
Boston - Hitch a Ride
Dixie Chicks - Sin Wagon
Brad Paisley - Mud on the Tires
Merle Haggard - Mama Tried

Bass:
Bee Gees - You Should Be Dancing
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
Jane's Addiction - Idiots Rule
Duran Duran - Rio
Yes - Starship Trooper
Rush - YYZ
Earth, Wind and Fire - Shining Star
Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
No Doubt - Spiderwebs
No Doubt - Different People
Soundgarden - Spoonman
The Fratellis - Creepin Up the Backstairs

Drums: (it's been a long time since I played drums/I was never that great, so I might miss some)
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Rush - Limelight (really just every Rush song)
James Gang - Funk #49
The Killers - Mr Brightside
Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along the Watchtower
Jimi Hendrix Experience - If 6 Was 9 (really hard tho)
Silversun Pickups - Well Thought Out Twinkles
The Who - Going Mobile (but really every The Who song is great on drums)
Opeth - Ghost of Perdition

Vocals:
Just look for songs you/your mate likes and you'de fine. Though you can never go wrong with Paradise by the Dashboard Light and the Queen packs.

Paramore Pack 01
"Crushcrushcrush" by Paramore
"Pressure" by Paramore
"Airplanes" by B.o.B featuring Hayley Williams are MUST buys and Priority #1 imo
Sometimes I think you're a joke account haha.

Guitar: (my main)
Stone Roses - Love Spreads
Grateful Dead - China Cat Sunflower
Grateful Dead - Franklin's Tower
Fleetwood Mac - Landslide
Allman Brothers Band - Blue Sky
Allman Brothers Band - Jessica
Richard Thompson - The Way That It Shows
Billy Joel - She's Always a Woman
Pearl Jam - Black
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Lenny
Rush - Working Man (Vault Edition)
Iron Maiden - Hallowed by thy Name
Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
Boston - Hitch a Ride
Dixie Chicks - Sin Wagon
Brad Paisley - Mud on the Tires
Merle Haggard - Mama Tried

Bass:
Bee Gees - You Should Be Dancing
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
Jane's Addiction - Idiots Rule
Duran Duran - Rio
Yes - Starship Trooper
Rush - YYZ
Earth, Wind and Fire - Shining Star
Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
No Doubt - Spiderwebs
No Doubt - Different People
Soundgarden - Spoonman
The Fratellis - Creepin Up the Backstairs

Drums: (it's been a long time since I played drums/I was never that great, so I might miss some)
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Rush - Limelight (really just every Rush song)
James Gang - Funk #49
The Killers - Mr Brightside
Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along the Watchtower
Jimi Hendrix Experience - If 6 Was 9 (really hard tho)
Silversun Pickups - Well Thought Out Twinkles
The Who - Going Mobile (but really every The Who song is great on drums)
Opeth - Ghost of Perdition

Vocals:
Just look for songs you/your mate likes and you'de fine. Though you can never go wrong with Paradise by the Dashboard Light and the Queen packs.

Sometimes I think you're a joke account haha.
Great list. But for bass, add Eminence Front by The Who.

Gorger

We have very similar taste in what we enjoy playing on guitar. Let me see if I can expand that list with some similar songs.

- Pick me up (Awesome long end solo much like the Richard frampton song)
- Thin Lizzy pack (All around great tunes with some very fun guitar parts)
- My Sharona (Really fun solo towards the end of the song)
- Can't Stop Rockin' (Great song awesome end solo)
- Yes (Just get the pack, most of the songs are great on guitar)
- Poison (Great tune, cool solos)
- Do you feel like we do? (Very long song with tons of solos in between)
- Would you go with me? (One of the funniest country songs on guitar)
- Good Time (Another very fun country song with three solos)
- Godzilla (Classic song with just the right difficulty)
- Child in Time (Incredible difficult solo, but the song itself is top tier)
- Laid to Rest (Really fun song to play on both Bass and Guitar)
- Are you dead yet? (The only song ever released from Children Of Bodom, and it's just fun to play throughout the whole song. Not too difficult)
- Chiron (In my opinion the best song from All that Remains, very fun throughout the whole song with a very difficult solo to top it off)
- What a Horrible night to have a curse? (This one might be too extreme for many, but it's one of the best songs to learn triplet strumming, and it has some really fun ho/po parts and an awesome solo near the end. A huge guilty pleasure for me)
- Ghost of Perdition (A reminder of how sorely we need more Opeth songs)
- Catcher in The Rye (In my opinion the funniest song to play on the Chinese Democracy album)
- Smooth (Overall great song, some really fun guitar parts)
- Both Kansas song (Does have some really tricky parts, but they are both awesome songs to play and listen to)
- N.I.B + War pigs (Black Sabbath classics)
- Stonehenge (Unfortunately you can't buy Spinal Tap anymore, so let's hope Harmonix fixes that for the future)
- You can still rock in America (The second solo brings the song down a bit because it always wrecks me, but the first solo makes up for it. Very fun song to play)
- Rosanna (Classic song with some surprisingly difficult parts)
- My old school (My favorite of Steely Dan on RB, tons of solos with just the right amount of difficulty)
- The Hellion/Electric Eye (One of Judas Priests' best song, fair difficulty)
- Tribute + Metal (Best songs to play from Tenacious D)
- I want it all + The Show Must Go On (I want it all is by far the funniest Queen song on guitar, very underrated song)
- Tuesday Gone + Sweet Home Alabama (Two of my favorite songs from Lynyrd on the guitar, even though some of the solos on the songs are merciless, especially the tapping part on TG that I never seem to quite get)
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Fear of the Dark (Fun songs that aren't too difficult by Iron Maiden - bonus Rime has one of the best Bass solos in the game)
- Pretty much everything by Rush. (Damnit, almost all their songs are fun to play on the guitar)
- On the Back of Angels (It's not as hard as you might think, there are some tricky parts near the end, but overall it's a very fun song by Dream Theater)
- I believe in a thing called love (The whole song is just a myriad of fun solos with a really difficulty tapping part towards the end)
-Clint Eastwood (Such a groovy tune with two fun and difficult solos)
-King of Rock (What absurdity is this? Rap in my Rock Band game? Actually, it's a really cool song with almost exclusively solos)
- No Woman, No Cry (My favorite Bob Marley song, a very relaxing song on guitar with a fun solo in the middle)
- Icky Thumb (I won't deny the piano solos are just a cruel joke, but for some reason I keep going back to this song, it's just very fun to play despite its difficulty and the tune is great)

And I can go on, Ozzy have some great songs (Bark at the Moon, Mr.Crowley, No More Tears, Diary of a Madman, Mama I'm Coming Home) Jimi Hendrix has an absurd amount of songs, some of them are really great (If 6 was 9 and All Along the Watchtower). There are of course more songs that has slipped my mind, and I can update this post later if I remember them.

Bonus: Can't be Tamed (If the concept of getting your ass handed to you by a Miley Cyrus sounds tempting) :p

CloudWolf

We have very similar taste in what we enjoy playing on guitar. Let me see if I can expand that list with some similar songs.

- Pick me up (Awesome long end solo much like the Richard frampton song)
Unfortunately this one has been delisted as well, but is is/was damn great.

Your list is really good, can't believe I missed some of those in my post (especially the Thin Lizzy pack, considering I played Cowboy Song yesterday).

Gorger

Unfortunately this one has been delisted as well, but is is/was damn great.

Your list is really good, can't believe I missed some of those in my post (especially the Thin Lizzy pack, considering I played Cowboy Song yesterday).

God damn it, they did. Glad I secured that song

FyreWulff

So, I went to go look up some Beatles FCs. Apparently UMG is copyright blocking every Beatles vid as of a few days ago.

They also apparently have gotten the Beatles own Youtube page banned from claimstriking them.

wat

image.php

So I asked this right when the game came out but apparently there were issues at the time and patches were needed, but how is drumming in this game now? Is it a worthwhile investment to make the jump or is it basically the same as rock band 3 other than new songs? Due to DLC/system switching type stuff, it would either be a big investment or just forgetting about all my old dlc to play 4, and I only really care about drumming, so I was wondering if they've made it better or done anything interesting in that way. Also, how are the new drum sets?

Anyone on this?

espher

Decided to start playing through every legacy harmony upgrade over the weekend, both for bug checking purposes and for giving me a reason to start downloading DLC purposes.

Checking the leaderboards and seeing what are quite clearing full 3-part FCs was a nice feeling.

My contributions, all for guitar. I'm avoiding anything mentioned by the others:

Every Aerosmith song except Seasons of Wither
Duran Duran - The Reflex
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell and I'm Broken
Don McLean - American Pie
Oingo Boingo - Weird Science
Sublime - What I Got
Chicago - Make Me Smile
Living Colour - Cult of Personality
Quiet Riot - Bang Your Head (Metal Health)
Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
Soundgarden - Outshined
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name
Everything by Jimi Hendrix
Queen - Keep Yourself Alive, Seven Seas of Rhye, and Stone Cold Crazy
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
Yes - I've Seen All Good People (the pack in general was mentioned, but this is a standout)
The Vapors - Turning Japanese
Both of the Ozzy packs
Run-DMC - King of Rock
Loverboy - Working for the Weekend
Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon (I also have to second Landslide, get Landslide if you can only get one Fleetwood song)
Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light
Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues and I Got Stripes
B.B. King - The Thrill is Gone
Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
R.E.M. - Radio Free Europe
Anthrax - I'm the Man and Indians
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Jamming (No Woman No Cry was mentioned, but I much prefer Jamming)
The Smiths - This Charming Man
Snoop Dogg - Tha Shiznit
Creedence Clearwater Revival - The whole first 12-pack
James Gang - Walk Away and Funk #49
Alphabeat - Fascination
Brian Setzer - Stray Cat Strut
Night Ranger - Don't Tell Me You Love Me
Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream and the first Heartbreakers Live pack
Nirvana - Lithium and School
Wolfmother - Woman and White Unicorn
Motorhead - (We Are) The Road Crew
Alice in Chains - Would? and We Die Young
Blind Melon - No Rain
Blur - There's No Other Way
Dropkick Murphys - I'm Shipping Up to Boston
Lush - Sweetness and Light
Judas Priest - The Screaming for Vengeance album and Eat Me Alive
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Weapon of Choice
The Alice Cooper pack
Steely Dan - Black Friday
The REO Speedwagon/Styx pack
Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker
The whole Texas Flood album
The whole Dr. Feelgood album
The whole The Cars album
Sonic Youth - Kool Thing
The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville

Gorger

Lots of great songs there as well. No Rain is really fun, should have added that. Also another song I forgot is We Bult This City. Such a great 80's song, even though the end solo just butchers me.

I had some time to kill so I listened to last week's DLC!

"People Are People" by Depeche Mode - The song couldn't be more '80s if it tried. Literally personified '80s nonsensical schlock. I liked it just fine, much more than I thought I would

"What You Need" by INXS - A lot more high energy than the only other INXS song I've heard before, and I dug it! It reminded me of Huey Lewis and the News' stuff and I like them a lot so I'm happy

"Always Something To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes - Weak. Sounded like a Christmas song but without the charm and atmosphere that makes that genre work. It also didn't inspire any feelings in me besides mild curiosity and boredom.

Overall I liked the songs a lot more than I expected, but still no must buys yet. I've only bought 2 post RB4 songs (Gimme Chocolate and My Own Eyes). Here's hoping something awesome comes up!

Rankings:
What You Need
People are People
Always Something to Remind Me

jond76

Banned
I had some time to kill so I listened to last week's DLC!

"People Are People" by Depeche Mode - The song couldn't be more '80s if it tried. Literally personified '80s nonsensical schlock. I liked it just fine, much more than I thought I would

"What You Need" by INXS - A lot more high energy than the only other INXS song I've heard before, and I dug it! It reminded me of Huey Lewis and the News' stuff and I like them a lot so I'm happy

"Always Something To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes - Weak. Sounded like a Christmas song but without the charm and atmosphere that makes that genre work. It also didn't inspire any feelings in me besides mild curiosity and boredom.

Overall I liked the songs a lot more than I expected, but still no must buys yet. I've only bought 2 post RB4 songs (Gimme Chocolate and My Own Eyes). Here's hoping something awesome comes up!

Rankings:
What You Need
People are People
Always Something to Remind Me

Sometimes I have to remember my age. All of these songs were extremely popular at the time and I like them all. So it's weird to read about someone listening to them for the first time. Haha.

Needless to say, I bought them all.

Sometimes I have to remember my age. All of these songs were extremely popular at the time and I like them all. So it's weird to read about someone listening to them for the first time. Haha.

Everything is seen thru the prism of "Paramore is the best band ever! Who are the Beatles?" Kids today.....

Xis

Nonsensical? The lyrics have a pretty heavy-handed message: intolerance = bad.

Top Bottom