• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

FyreWulff

It's not enough to get me to not buy the game, but is there any particular reason why Rock Band World just isn't a feature on RockBand.com itself, which already had the challenge maker and goals feed, etc? I would think you'd want to drive more people to RockBand.com and not have them use Facebook as a middleman.

Holy Wars

Banned
It's not enough to get me to not buy the game, but is there any particular reason why Rock Band World just isn't a feature on RockBand.com itself, which already had the challenge maker and goals feed, etc? I would think you'd want to drive more people to RockBand.com and not have them use Facebook as a middleman.

Viral marketing.

I feel like the jaded fan of the group that made it big and feels like they sold out. I liked Harmonix better when they were making Frequency and Amplitude.

Power-ups cost coins, it'll cost you 750 per song. If you don't spend those coins, it is literally impossible to set high scores. Setting high scores is the only point of the game.

I'd say the average amount of coins you'll win from 5 or gold starring a song is probably around 400/500, which means you will never be able to cover your outlay. This means that you'll constantly have to play songs with no power-ups so that you've got enough to play the next song with a power-up, making about half of your time in the game just worthless.

Unless you use Facebook.

With that said, will wait for the eventual patch.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Some of the guys have been talking about this thread on Twitter today, heh. Anyway, it seems like it's possible they'll tweak values in the future.

Gowans

It sounds like they have the hooks in the game to tinker with the coin stuff but I'm not turning my nose up at this at all.

For the song bundle alone its a bargain, the game looks great and the fact I can dust out my DLC and play it in a new way makes me a happy bunny.

The rest of the stuff is bonus, I quite like the idea of this extra stuff to extend the game via other routes.

I can see a point if your really gimped when it comes to score if you want to play the game with no fuss or having to provide a external action.

I can not wait till tomorrow morning :)
& if it's good I'll let my friends know that, might even be through facebook or twitter ;)

Mister Game

Project Director, Harmonix
Some of the guys have been talking about this thread on Twitter today, heh. Anyway, it seems like it's possible they'll tweak values in the future.

Yeah, we haven't even launched the game yet. So far everyone who has even a moderate sized library is rolling in coins.

We'll be actively watching the economy and if it gets to be a problem it will be very easy for us to tweak the coin awards without a patch. Also, we have other ingame (i.e. NOT Facebook) ways to award coins that will be deployed after launch.

Right, and my question is, how can Rock Band World on Facebook even be considered viral marketing? It doesn't advertise to anyone as to what you are doing. No one will even know you ever used it.

Which begs the question, why do it? Why screw over fans by forcing Facebook upon them. It's just dumb. And if they're not doing it to market the game better, than that's even dumber.

Gowans

Yeah, we haven't even launched the game yet. So far everyone who has even a moderate sized library is rolling in coins.

We'll be actively watching the economy and if it gets to be a problem it will be very easy for us to tweak the coin awards without a patch. Also, we have other ingame (i.e. NOT Facebook) ways to award coins that will be deployed after launch.

Awesome, I'm sure you guys are not going to let it be an issue as you are a rare dev that 'gets it'.

Good luck with the launch!

I'm extremely interested in this game since I've loved frequency and amplitude

Definitely gonna download the demo tonight and give it a go

Balotelli

Banned
If you can't trust Harmonix and they're dedication to their fanbase with their recharging of songs you already own, stripping you access of stuff you purchased, intentionally confusing the marketplace in the RB3 store and keeping RB2 versions of songs in the store before RB3 ones, then frankly I don't know who else you can trust!

FyreWulff

If you can't trust Harmonix and they're dedication to their fanbase with their recharging of songs you already own, stripping you access of stuff you purchased, intentionally confusing the marketplace in the RB3 store and keeping RB2 versions of songs in the store before RB3 ones, then frankly I don't know who else you can trust!

wat

marjo

There shouldn't be an 'economy' in this game. I won't be satisfied unless every single time I try a song, I can attempt to best my previous score. If you tweak the awards to allow for that, that begs the question, why have them in the first place?

FyreWulff

How else are they going ot push more DLC on you then? Like every other game studio they're out to make money.

Recharging you for songs you already own: Never happened

Stripping you of access of songs you already own: uh, only happened to two songs in RB3 through licensing weirdness, you can still play them in RB1 and 2, you know, the games that were current when the songs came out and don't appear in the RB3 store

RB2 versions still in store: not everyone is on RB3, and it's clearly marked that they don't have keys. Do you complain that the covers are still up that have masters now?

Well am I wrong? What was the motivation behind points then? Surely "thought" didn't go into it.

A lot of decisions seem to have been taken "because that's what other games do" but with no thought given to whether they improve the experience in RBB. Other games lock all their content at the start, so you don't get to use power-ups until you unlock them. Free-to-play games have disposable currency so you have to spend coins on power-ups then grind when you run out. iPhone games use Facebook for asynchronous multiplayer so that's what they've done here as well, even though the architecture is in place to not need it whatsoever.

Recharging you for songs you already own: Never happened

Yes it did, kind of anyway. I bought Queen DLC for RB2 and instead of updating it with keys, I have to buy it again to get all the keyboard parts because they just re-released it instead. I have spent very little on DLC since then.

Holy Wars

Banned
Seeing as people from Harmonix are posting here; can somebody state the mentality for coins even existing? Have you ever commented on it previously on message boards or something? I'm sitting here trying to figure out why this game needs an economy, and other than "inevitable freemium iOS port" I got nothing.

Ridley327

Yes it did, kind of anyway. I bought Queen DLC for RB2 and instead of updating it with keys, I have to buy it again to get all the keyboard parts because they just re-released it instead. I have spent very little on DLC since then.

They couldn't update those songs because of how the audio stems are done in RB2 versus RB3. The keys track got placed on the same stream as the rest of the non-playable parts. "Fixing" that would have involved having to re-license the song anyway, so it wouldn't have been free.

Welcome to the magical bullshit world of music licensing.

Holy Wars

Banned
They couldn't update those songs because of how the audio stems are done in RB2 versus RB3. The keys track got placed on the same stream as the rest of the non-playable parts. "Fixing" that would have involved having to re-license the song anyway, so it wouldn't have been free.

Welcome to the magical bullshit world of music licensing.

Maybe they should offer a version without the individual audio stem. It's not like anybody really cares about music cutting out when you miss a note.

FyreWulff

Just because you bought the Beatles albums (or any other band) originally didn't entitle you to the newer release versions, either. They had to re-license the songs to give them keys support, since the keys didn't have separated stems in the original licensing. They also at least put them all in their own Queen Enhanced Pack instead of splitting them between two packs, so you could safely ignore buying the RB3 versions if you wanted.

There was a significant enough complaining over it that they pretty much killed plans for Enhanced versions after that point, though. When you get something that has lasted as long and has the amount of the Rock Band library, there's bound to be moments where Harmonix is stuck between either giving people an upgraded version of a song or just letting the old version sit there and ignoring the requests.

And if they had just slapped keys on the existing mix, people would have bitched about the keys not actually reacting to anything.

The one thing I WILL bitch about though, is all the RB2DLC songs in the run up to Rock Band 3 that had harmonies and they weren't charted. Which was strange since the Green Day Export is RB2DLC, the Country Track Pack is RB2 DLC, both have harmonies in RB3, but they're the only RB2 DLC with harmonies support built in (Pearl Jam DLC got harmonies, but RB3 hotpatches those in). It's annoying too since it seemed the mixes were set up for close-to-RB3 RB2 for them, as A Girl Like You has both singers in the Vocals stem, where before the woman would have been put in the general band mix, and she's simply uncharted.

Just strange that they had the ability to chart Harmonies without RB1/2 throwing a fit but they didn't really use it.

edit: And I guess I don't really understand why the final couple of months of RB2 DLC had the change to all difficulties using all 5 lanes, don't know why they didn't just wait for the RB3 launch to have that be the cutoff. Just seems strange to me that if you're playing RB2, you're going to (rarely) run into a song that has notes on Blue and Orange when you're playing Medium. But this post is more about RB3 and less about Blitz, so I'll get back on topic now :p

Just because you bought the Beatles albums (or any other band) originally didn't entitle you to the newer release versions, either.

Yeah, that's really not the same thing.

I'm sure they had their reasons for it but it doesn't change the fact that it totally screwed the people that had bought the Queen pack previously. As a consumer, I lost out, regardless of whatever reason they did it for.

vg260

Yeah, that's really not the same thing.

I'm sure they had their reasons for it but it doesn't change the fact that it totally screwed the people that had bought the Queen pack previously. As a consumer, I lost out, regardless of whatever reason they did it for.

Sorry, but this is way off-base. You don't really understand everything involved in making the new version possible, including the technical and licensing limitations and business risks in doing so.

This is just downfall of early adoption. Newer, better versions of everything come out later. Don't buy a car, a TV, a computer, a cell phone, a console or anything else for that matter if you don't wanna feel screwed over. Just sit around and wait for an updated version, and not enjoy using the original while you wait.

Ridley327

Maybe they should offer a version without the individual audio stem. It's not like anybody really cares about music cutting out when you miss a note.

You would care if other stuff like background vocals, backing guitars, random percussion parts and whatnot also cut out if you missed a note on keys.

Sorry, but this is way off-base. You don't really understand everything involved in making the new version possible, including the technical and licensing limitations and business risks in doing so.

This is just downfall of early adoption. Newer, better versions of everything come out later. Don't buy a car, a TV, a computer, a cell phone, a console or anything else for that matter if you don't wanna feel screwed over. Just sit around and wait for an updated version, and not enjoy using the original while you wait.

Yes, I understand that there were reasons for it, but I don't think you could disagree that it was shit for me as a consumer, no? Whether it was "necessary" is irrelevant to me who spent money on the DLC. I'm not even that bothered by needing to pay for keys, because I got what I paid for originally. What annoys me is that I can't just buy keys, I have to buy the content I've already bought, all over again.

And your analogy is shit. Buying DLC is nothing like buying a PC, where there's an acceptance before you purchase that there will be a better version in the future. That DLC was bought in the belief that it was "complete" and it then turned out not to be. It's more like if you bought a book and then found out when you got to the end that you have to buy it again if you want the last twenty pages. There's a reason books aren't sold like this.

Some things are just expected to be "complete" and Rock Band DLC is (was) one of them.

vg260

Yes, I understand that there were reasons for it, but I don't think you could disagree that it was shit for me as a consumer, no? Whether it was "necessary" is irrelevant to me who spent money on the DLC. I'm not even that bothered by needing to pay for keys, because I got what I paid for originally. What annoys me is that I can't just buy keys, I have to buy the content I've already bought, all over again.

And your analogy is shit. Buying DLC is nothing like buying a PC, where there's an acceptance before you purchase that there will be a better version in the future. That DLC was bought in the belief that it was "complete" and it then turned out not to be. It's more like if you bought a book and then found out when you got to the end that you have to buy it again if you want the last twenty pages. There's a reason books aren't sold like this.

Some things are just expected to be "complete" and Rock Band DLC is (was) one of them.

Any analogy can be dissected and criticized because it's not 1:1. It's an analogy. But you should get the idea. Nothing is never the last, final, ultimate version, especially something involving music, movies, or digital content. You should know that by now as a consumer of anything. You need to have more reasonable expectations.

I was expecting to be buying this today :-( The OP lied to me.

I wonder if eventually it could be patched to recognise if the RB3 disc (or GoD install, or for that matter ANY RB disc) to allow you to play on-disc songs in Blitz.

Ridley327

I wonder if eventually it could be patched to recognise if the RB3 disc (or GoD install, or for that matter ANY RB disc) to allow you to play on-disc songs in Blitz.

The policy has been to offer exports when a brand-new mainline title comes out to replace the current one. Since we don't know if and when RB4 is coming out, it could very well be a long time.

FyreWulff

I forgot that 360 was a day later.. whoops

Forsythia

Hopefully we'll get an option to export the RB3 content. And what's with the Facebook crap? Is it really mandatory to enjoy the game or doesn't it really matter if I don't care about highscores? Even if it's the latter, it seems a bit ridiculous that you can't start these goals in the game itself. :/

Any analogy can be dissected and criticized because it's not 1:1. It's an analogy. But you should get the idea. Nothing is never the last, final, ultimate version, especially something involving music, movies, or digital content. You should know that by now as a consumer of anything. You need to have more reasonable expectations.

I think my expectations were perfectly reasonable, can you think of literally any other DLC that's been updated in this way, with the player forced to buy it again if they want the extra part? As I say, I wouldn't mind paying extra for keys. I paid for bass/guitar/drums/vocals and that's what I got, it's just shit that I have to buy bass/guitar/drums/vocals again just to get keys.

Anyway, this has absolutely nothing to do with Rock Band Blitz, so let's stop.

Hopefully we'll get an option to export the RB3 content. And what's with the Facebook crap? Is it really mandatory to enjoy the game or doesn't it really matter if I don't care about highscores? Even if it's the latter, it seems a bit ridiculous that you can't start these goals in the game itself. :/

If you don't care about high scores, you're buying the wrong game.

The policy has been to offer exports when a brand-new mainline title comes out to replace the current one. Since we don't know if and when RB4 is coming out, it could very well be a long time.

I know, but if it's reading from the disc is it technically an "export" ;-)

Either way, it's just baseless wishing. Whenever I have what I think is a good (or reasonable) idea, it never comes true. Ignore my brain diarrhea.

I forgot that 360 was a day later.. whoops

Scoundrel!

vg260

I think my expectations were perfectly reasonable, can you think of literally any other DLC that's been updated in this way, with the player forced to buy it again if they want the extra part? As I say, I wouldn't mind paying extra for keys. I paid for bass/guitar/drums/vocals and that's what I got, it's just shit that I have to buy bass/guitar/drums/vocals again just to get keys.

Anyway, this has absolutely nothing to do with Rock Band Blitz, so let's stop.

It's an unfortunate reality of the situation and I don't think it's as bad as people made it out to be when you consider this is a first-time scenario and the many factors involved are complex. I'd rather have to option to pay $2 for a new version than not. I have not seen any evidence that HMx is out to screw over or milk customers. I'm sure in hindsight if they could future-proof their early tracks they would have. That's just my take and I'll leave it at that.

Maybe kickstarter is the way to go for RB3 updates of songs. What say you HMx?

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I've been really looking forward to getting this game since PAXEast, but this coin business is disappointing. If you keep retrying a song over and over, will that eat up your coins or do the power-ups stay in place until you switch to another song? What about if you pause mid-song and hit retry?

Balotelli

Banned
How stupid are Harmonix. Initial 300 megabyte download then you have to boot the game and download the Rock Band Blitz soundpack for another 700 megabytes. Why wasn't it just one big download?

FyreWulff

How stupid are Harmonix. Initial 300 megabyte download then you have to boot the game and download the Rock Band Blitz soundpack for another 700 megabytes. Why wasn't it just one big download?

It was the only way to avoid redundant data sitting on the Hard Drive

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Cause some people will want to play the songs in Rock Band 3

Oow snap!

I accidently bought Rock Band Blitz on the US Store but all the songs I've downloaded come from the EU Store....

Gaf am I in trouble and have to dubble dip the EU version?

EDIT: when I play this game with my EU profile it says Music Store unavailable when I select download content...

Top Bottom